Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by arcademojo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1071 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1063 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0954 (resized).JPG
    MarioBros.jpg
    image.jpg
    Actionside.jpg
    Cuteside.jpg
    Marios.jpg
    131265.gif
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

There has been a lot of discussion recently in the "JJP and Nintendo Need to Get Married" thread about JJP making a Nintnedo themed pin. Personally I think Zelda would be the best Nintendo theme to use for a pin. Why? Zelda has always been about exploring, quests, puzzles and adventure. Many of the top rated pins make you feel like you are on a quest and have you unlocking modes along the way. Some of those pins have Keith Johnson and Ted Estes rulesets who both work at JJP A Zelda pin from JJP with a Keith Johnson and Ted Estes ruleset sounds like a match made in heaven.

Would obtaining the license from Nintendo be a road block and would they allow it? I think yes they absolutely would. I read on IGN.com a while back that Nintnedo would be opening the use of their licenses to third parties. Proof of that is Link appearing in Hyrule Warriors which is a third party game not created by Nintnedo.

Now let's think of a Zelda pin for a moment. What would it be like? Well, the dungeons could be modes and boss battles multiball modes. Maybe their could be a POTC mechanical chest but with an LCD inside that when hit reveals items to unlock. The Zelda theme would offer a lot of possibilities for unique and interactive toys as well as rules. Maybe an ocarina could be played using the flipper buttons? Also, can you imagine a gold themed LE Zelda pin? Take my money now, haha.

As far as a market for a Zelda pin goes I think there is a huge one. Many pinball owners and operators grew up playing Zelda , many still play Zelda games and the latest games are more popular then ever across multiple age groups.

If you are reading this JJP please consider making a Zelda pin. With your desire to make feature packed pins, having an LCD system in place and having who I think are the two best programmers in pinball making unique rulesets would make a Zelda pin from JJP a hit.

#2 9 years ago

Here is an article from Polygon discussing Nintendo opening the use of their licenses in unexpected ways. It sure sounds like they would be open to licensing the Zelda theme for a pinball machine.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5695992/nintendo-character-licensing-possibilities

#3 9 years ago

I've been a huge fan forever so I would also love to see a Zelda pin one day. Like you said there is so much material there to make a great game.
    One thing that could be a stumbling point though would be call outs. While Zelda has some outstanding musical scores there is virtually no audible dialogue as the main characters are never heard. Could be tricky.

#4 9 years ago

JJP doing a Zelda pin might be the only way they will get my business on a NIB....otherwise I'm finding a used game that's been put through it's paces.

And I swear to god if they put Navi in there saying "HEY!" while the target shot is lit, I'm gonna stab someone.

#5 9 years ago

LCD screen showing your progress on collecting pieces of the tri-force, dungeon maps, etc. Would LOVE a Link/Zelda game.

#6 9 years ago

It would be very interesting to see....

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fintan_Stack:

I've been a huge fan forever so I would also love to see a Zelda pin one day. Like you said there is so much material there to make a great game.
    One thing that could be a stumbling point though would be call outs. While Zelda has some outstanding musical scores there is virtually no audible dialogue as the main characters are never heard. Could be tricky.

Good point regarding voice acting. It does look like third party Zelda games are being allowed to add voice overs. It seems like some type of voice acting for callouts would be all allowed.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/opinion-hyrule-warriors-proves-voice-acting-can-work-with-zelda-games#.VPJWgMXgHa8

#8 9 years ago

ahhah there are so many zelda threads now on here... It would be great, nintendo has licensed things out before. They may be up for it again! That would be another title I'd be interested in...still looking for a mario pin!

#9 9 years ago

If done right, this could be the best pin ever. Possibilities are endless and the marketing share is HUGE. Literally ages 8 to 60 get the theme.

JJP, in the words of Navi, "HEY! LISTEN!"

#10 9 years ago

LOZ would kick ass. Mega Man would as well, every game had cool Rock & Roll MIDI tracks.

#11 9 years ago

Zelda or a good mario pin would be really cool... would make sense since guys like me who grew up with mario and zelda so have a soft spot for it, are older and can afford to buy it.

#12 9 years ago

I would love this....I've been on a Zelda kick lately, too. Since I got the New 3DS XL, I decided to revisit Ocarina of Time 3D - which I never finished. I finally beat Ganon a few days ago...and now I'm moving on to play the Zelda games I missed. Currently Gameboy Color Link's Awakening DX (got it for free with my last 200 Club Nintendo coins), then I'm going to play GBA Minish Cap (which I also got for free from the 3DS Ambassador program....but never played!). I even got all the Zelda Amiibos!

#13 9 years ago

I think this would be awesome. Unfortunately, all the old farts with money probably wouldn't be interested.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I think this would be awesome. Unfortunately, all the old farts with money probably wouldn't be interested.

I would think most of us old farts grew up with Zelda!

#15 9 years ago

I'd also be in for a Metroid!

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

I'd also be in for a Metroid!

Ever play Metroid Prime Pinball on the DS? It's amazing! If you have a Rumble Pak in the GBA slot, it even feels like pinball!

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Old fart here who agrees with your assessment.

#18 9 years ago

I remember being so mesmerized by Metroid...

#19 9 years ago

Stern and JJP seems to be targeting the masses with things like TWD and WWE. I agree that gamers should be the next target. We have the addictive personalities that lead to things like pin obsession, there's a zillion of us, and they could piggy back on media that already cares about games. If a Zelda pin came out, game sites would give them all the free press they need to get attention, and people would travel across the country to play one. People are nuts about their favorite game franchises.

I have gamer friends that learn I'm into pinball and ask if I've played the Mario Bros or SF2 pin - then proceed to tell me how awesome they are. Those machines aren't THAT awesome. That's just what they gravitated toward when they saw a lineup of machines. It just makes sense.

And yeah I'd rather have a Metroid one as well. But Zelda is the better choice if they went this route.

#20 9 years ago

Great points Stemage. I was just at a video game convention in Boston last week called PAX East. The convention had an arcade game room setup with several pins. I went into the room several times over 3 days and the longest lines were to play pinball.

If JJP made a Zelda pin they could have it available to play in the expo hall where thousands of people will see it and play it.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Stemage:

Stern and JJP seems to be targeting the masses with things like TWD and WWE. I agree that gamers should be the next target. We have the addictive personalities that lead to things like pin obsession, there's a zillion of us, and they could piggy back on media that already cares about games.

Any of you guys following the Amiibo craze? It's kind of funny - it's like a micro version of our pinball hobby. The same way we stalk Craigslist for games - Nintendo fans are stalking stores for Amiibo shipments - buying them before anyone else for #12.99, then flipping them on CL/eBay for $40-$80. Certain characters have become "rare" - thus more desirable...people are doing anything they can to get them. Then, Nintendo announces they're going to make more of the rarer figures (remakes, anyone? lol) and people are flipping out about the $80 toy they just bought losing value. There are people who keep them in the box and just want them because they're rare...and there are people who open them and play with them.

I've already done some skeevy Amiibo trades in parking lots myself.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Great points Stemage. I was just at a video game convention in Boston last week called PAX East. The convention had an arcade game room setup with several pins. I went into the room several times over 3 days and the longest lines were to play pinball.
    If JJP made a Zelda pin they could have it available to play in the expo hall where thousands of people will see it and play it.

I've been to a few PAXes, and yeah, people don't even know about that game room! The ones who do seem to be on the pins. MAGfest is another gamer convention, and same thing - in the 300+ game room, the longest lines were for DDR and the 15 or so pins.

At PAX last year, Pinball Arcade had a booth with Harley Davidson and Ripley's pins set up. People were playing those and not even asking about the ACTUAL GAME they were promoting.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Any of you guys following the Amiibo craze? It's kind of funny - it's like a micro version of our pinball hobby. The same way we stalk Craigslist for games - Nintendo fans are stalking stores for Amiibo shipments - buying them before anyone else for #12.99, then flipping them on CL/eBay for $40-$80. Certain characters have become "rare" - thus more desirable...people are doing anything they can to get them. Then, Nintendo announces they're going to make more of the rarer figures (remakes, anyone? lol) and people are flipping out about the $80 toy they just bought losing value. There are people who keep them in the box and just want them because they're rare...and there are people who open them and play with them.
    I've already done some skeevy Amiibo trades in parking lots myself.

Are they acutally re-running the 1st gen and store exclusive ones? If so... LOL I TOLD YOU SO.

#24 9 years ago

METROID!!! Has already been made into a pinball.
    131265.gif131265.gif

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Ever play Metroid Prime Pinball on the DS? It's amazing! If you have a Rumble Pak in the GBA slot, it even feels like pinball!

That is a great game....wish they would remake it with 3D. Wish they also would remake Mario Pinball, House of the Dead Pinball, and Pokemon Pinball.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Are they acutally re-running the 1st gen and store exclusive ones? If so... LOL I TOLD YOU SO.

They've announced new run of Marth, Little Mac, and Villager in Japan and UK...so obviously they'll do it here, too. Best Buy says they're getting more Meta Knights in May. For the life of me I can't figure out why Target didn't get MORE Rosalinas....each store got less than 20 and they were gone within a half hour. What's the point of making an exclusive deal if you don't have the product to sell? Rosalina's the only one I buckled on and bought from a scalper - a Target employee, no less.

Apparently Rosalina and Meta Knight are easy to find in Mexico right now lol. Nintendo's website does say something about them being exclusive at launch - so, eventually they could make them again for all stores. The only 2 I still want right now are Pit and Little Mac. I'm not collecting them all - but just the characters/franchises I like.

I find my self using that Pinside term - Nintendo's "leaving money on the table". They really are...people could buy a bunch of figures for what one is being scalped for...hell, they could buy a figure and a GAME! Nintendo's giving money away by not having all the figures more available. Pinball machines are one thing - but little $12.99 plastic figures? If there's demand, flood the f*cking stores!

#27 9 years ago

I just can't see paying more than 13 bucks for one, and even that's stretching it. Add to the fact that 99% of the time, I play Random ANYWAYS...and they're basically useless for me AFAIK?

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fintan_Stack:

That's one area where the lcd could be useful. The Zelda series is good at showing, not telling. For example:
    Link sees the princess being whisked away, and she throws the ocarina.
    A scary boss appears.
    etc.

The games are good at using visuals, music, and sound effects.

Any scenes where dialogue is necessary could just use a text box on screen. Like, after you kill dodongo, the game could stop the ball:

Goron chief:
    You've saved our food supply, brother! Come here and give me a great big goron hug!

Then you'd see Link screaming and running away.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I just can't see paying more than 13 bucks for one, and even that's stretching it. Add to the fact that 99% of the time, I play Random ANYWAYS...and they're basically useless for me AFAIK?

I just think they look really cool - I love the detail and poses. I also think it's fun to power them up and fight them on my 3DS or Wii U in Smash Bros. Oh, and they unlock costumes on Mario Kart! They're going to have future use with other games, so it'll be fun to have them around...plus they look cool on top of my Donkey Kong Jr. My small stupid Nintendo toys on top of my big stupid Nintendo toy.

I picked up Captain Falcon & King Dedede since I took this pic...lol

Marios.jpgMarios.jpg Cuteside.jpgCuteside.jpg Actionside.jpgActionside.jpg
    #30 9 years ago

I really wanted Rosalina, but I think I'm going to have to settle for Zelda.

#31 9 years ago

Metriod is the best choice, IMHO.

Anyone who's ever played the original Metroid Prime on the GameCube knows what an atmospheric marvel that game was. Mix that kind of atmosphere on JJP's LCD, with a great pinball game, and I'm ready for my first JJP!

#32 9 years ago

LOZ would be awesome. Metroid would be equally as sweet, because it has pinball elements where you roll around as a ball.

While were on the subject of Nintendo licenses, somebody should re-theme a Champion Pub to Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!. (Or change it to the original PO, due to licensing issues). Mike's squeaky voice would narrate the shots. I'd love to have his face replace the turning CP toy...

CP opponents will be changed into MTPO opponents: King Hippo, Glass Joe, Bald Bull, Sandman and the rest.

But I digress. Back to LOZ!

#33 9 years ago

LOZ pin! shut up. take my money $$$

#34 9 years ago

CASTLEVANIA is the best choice!

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Of course, if JJP did a Leisure Suit Larry pin we might be ...

#36 9 years ago

I'd love a Zelda pinball! Indeed a lot of possibilities for modes. No voice... hmm... could work, not sure how it would 'feel'. There are a lot of sounds you'd easily recognise from the Zelda franchise (good, bad, achievements, new item, etc..).
    Would the target audience be big enough? There's quite a large 'hardcore Zelda-fan group', but I don't think it's as many as people watching i.e. TWD.

Well, to me, I think it'd be my first (and maybe only) NIB game if they'd make a nice Zelda pinball!

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

CASTLEVANIA is the best choice!

Maybe not the best, but it would be pretty sweet.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from sven:

No voice... hmm... could work, not sure how it would 'feel'.

Voice work would be pretty simple: "hey, listen!"

#39 9 years ago

Jack picks titles he knows and has some personal attachment to. He's to old to really know the Zelda license enough to really get into it. Don't think it would happen.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

That is a great game....wish they would remake it with 3D. Wish they also would remake Mario Pinball...

Don't get your hopes too high. You do realize that the team behind these games was also behind Pro Pinball? Adrian Barritt and Richard Horrocks founded Fuse Games after liquidation of Cunning Developments (Pro Pinball), then created these two Nintendo pinball games. (They are kind of busy remastering the Pro Pinball series.)

Pokemon Pinball is another story.

#41 9 years ago

They already made a zelda pin, Gladiators. Look up the history. Gottlieb got the rights to make TWO pins based on Nintendo licences. Gladiators was originally going to be Zelda, but was changed to a tv show license. Show got canceled, but it was too late to change it back to Zelda.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

They already made a zelda pin, Gladiators. Look up the history. Gottlieb got the rights to make TWO pins based on Nintendo licences. Gladiators was originally going to be Zelda, but was changed to a tv show license. Show got canceled, but it was too late to change it back to Zelda.

Sounds like they made a Gladiators pin.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Jack picks titles he knows and has some personal attachment to. He's to old to really know the Zelda license enough to really get into it. Don't think it would happen.

Apparently he's old enough to know Bilbo Baggins then.

#44 9 years ago

It wouldn't be to hard to re-theme gladiators into zelda. The playfield artwork is almost done.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Apparently he's old enough to know Bilbo Baggins then.

yes, because bilbo baggins is from the 60's. It's not from 1989 like zelda is. Jack was already older by this point, and being a business guy. He's not sitting around playing video games like my generation was.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It wouldn't be to hard to re-theme Gladiators into zelda. The playfield artwork is almost done.
    image.jpg

I wouldn't say the artwork is almost done. the artwork has nothing to do with zelda. I'd way the playfield inserts and layout are done for zelda. Needs a new art package and rules.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Jack was already older by this point, and being a business guy.

Being a business guy Jack should consider how strong a fanbase there would be for a new Nintendo pin. Also being so video focused with that large LCD on their games, even competitors upcoming LCD screens won't be as big, it seems like a perfect marriage to do Nintendo properties with a strong focus on video. It fits the philosophy of how they make games.

#48 9 years ago

business or not, Jack picks titles that have some meaning to him.

#49 9 years ago

Off topic but if anyone can get me one of these prints (I'll pay for it) I'll love you forever.

http://mudron.bigcartel.com/product/map-of-hyrule

#50 9 years ago

Did gottlieb have the license for Zelda with gladiators? I know it was originally supposed to be Zelda, but was switched last min.

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-a-zelda-pin-from-jjp-just-makes-sense/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.