(Topic ID: 228614)

Why a TAF Remake Would Sell Very Well - Poll

By rogerdodger

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why a TAF Remake Would Sell Very Well - Poll”

• I don't have a TAF and would buy a remake 141 votes
      37%
    • I already have a TAF but would still buy a remake 15 votes
      4%
    • I already have a TAF, so wouldn't buy a remake 76 votes
      20%
    • I have no interest in TAF 145 votes
      38%

(377 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3F02D50F-6402-40B3-9DC3-AF39E803BF0A (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    __1__72655.1488825058 (resized).jpg
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

Hi Guys:

There has been some chatter recently about the possibility that a TAF remake will be the next release from CGC. Even though I have owned (and sold) 3 TAFs in the past, I would buy a remake in a heartbeat.

Even though the original sold over 20K units, here's why I think a remake would be a great success.

I would imagine that the majority of TAFs out there are well worn but they still fetch very good money so, clearly, it is a very desirable pin to own.

If there were a remake, even those who currently have a nice TAF would want a remake (that brand new feeling, with all the bells and whistles) and would then sell their old TAF (at much reduced prices, due to the remake) to others who would like to own a TAF but can't afford the remake prices.

I somewhat liken this to new cars. There are enough people who change their cars every few years for the latest model of the car they already have, with the new car smell and all the latest bells & whistles. Their old car is then recycled to the ones who can't afford a new car. No difference, really.

Just my opinion, so no flames, please.

#2 5 years ago

Pinball is like cars you say?!?!

Go on...

#3 5 years ago

Agree. Even with the high production numbers many are really beat up.
    It still does well on location and with so many people wanting that title it would sell well.
    Especially with some lighting upgrades.

#4 5 years ago

There's a market for it. It would be cool if they offered the gold software as an option in the menu.

#5 5 years ago

Agreed and in case you missed it we have a poll going on here.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-remake-wish-list-what-would-you-like-to-see-remade

#6 5 years ago

TAFs don't fetch, though. So far the titles released were fetching $10k at times so they worth the licensing efforts, updating and manufacturing to offer at $7000.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

TAFs don't fetch, though. So far the titles released were fetching $10k at times so they worth the licensing efforts, updating and manufacturing to offer at $7000.

It’s gone WAY up in price in the last year, but yeah they would prob have to get BOM way down to sell it at under 7 retail. Doesn’t seem to Make sense. Maybe TOTAN? A lot of people seem to like that one.

After the “licensing” issues CGC experienced with MB, I can’t imagine they are in a huge hurry to do another licensed title

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

I agree with him, they make it, it will sell. Such a big potential market from first time buyers : families.

Also, Pinball is like cars.

#9 5 years ago

Come on guys! They made 20,000 of these and no they are not "all worn out." It is pretty easy to find one with minimal effort. I'd rather they think of something else like Big Bang Bar or Cactus Canyon Continued. I'd be up for a remake of TOM with new code, so there wouldn't be any exploits. TOM is too cool a layout for such shitty code.

#10 5 years ago

TAF remake is not a bad Idea. However, I won't buy it. MBR is more interesting. If pinball was like car. I believe the should do STTNG racing edition. Omg, that pinball machine weighted tone. If the STTNG racing edition can make the ball goes faster and reduced the current weight that would be amazing.

#11 5 years ago

Every one says you can find one anywhere but I have not seen a single one for sale in my area and if they are within a 5-8 hour drive the price is outrageous. I would rather not spend 7k on a 20 year old game. I would spend 7k for a brand new one though

#12 5 years ago

I'm torn.I actually like driving my 2013 Camaro more than my '69.If that makes sense.

#13 5 years ago

If they could make it happen for the $6K starting that they made Monster Bash happen for, absolutely. Lots of people still want an Addams, and my op buddies say they still pull serious coin on route!

#14 5 years ago

I own TAF, and I'd gladly consider selling it if a remake came out and buying one. This machine was quite a hassle to get 100% running.

With this hobby becoming more "write a check, unbox it, set it up, and I dont want to deal with 25+ year old problems", they would sell a ton.

#16 5 years ago

What's "The Addams Family Family"? Would it be like.. the Inlaws?

#17 5 years ago

Look as long as pins are selling there’s a market for ANY Classic, popular 90s game remake.

It’s exactly like cars! They have 4 things that keep them off the ground, and also a distinctive smell when brand new.

#18 5 years ago

TAF is and always will be my favorite! Bring on the remake!

#19 5 years ago

TAF is one of my favourites and is a remake I would be keen to buy!

#21 5 years ago

Of course it would sell well. It's the most popular game of all time! They may not go for MM, MB or AFM kind of prices, but if people could buy brand new ones with some nice upgrades starting at $6k, they would sell like gangbusters.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Of course it would sell well. It's the most popular game of all time! They may not go for MM, MB or AFM kind of prices, but if people could buy brand new ones with some nice upgrades starting at $6k, they would sell like gangbusters.

But that’s the problem. It wouldn’t be priced anywhere close to $6K.

#23 5 years ago

They should do it, then I could find a ratty player for under 4k.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

It would be cool if they offered the gold software as an option in the menu.

The gold software makes the scoring too unbalanced. If they included it it would need heavy tweaking to return balance and multiple approaches to tackling the game.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

But that’s the problem. It wouldn’t be priced anywhere close to $6K.

Why not? The classic editions of AFM and MB are $6k.

#26 5 years ago

Thought the entry price was 6500+ and the added licensing cost on TAF would push it higher.

If they were available at $6k out the door it would be a good value.

#27 5 years ago

Thought the entry price was 6500+

I think the classic edition of AFMr was originally $6,500, but they recently dropped the price $500 when MBr pricing was announced.

#28 5 years ago

I would like to see a reworked dmd display like on the new remakes.

#29 5 years ago

I said this about mbr if the made it..and I did (LE)
    If...(and I doubt it) they made a tafr, I would do the same and buy it.

So, I hope...but this time, I don't see it. Too many were made.

#30 5 years ago

I would be all over a TAFr for 7K or so. All I see lately are examples that need a playfield for 6K or machines that got a playfield for 8K. Or if it is nice and needs nothing they are 10K. Bring on a remake!

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I own TAF, and I'd gladly consider selling it if a remake came out and buying one. This machine was quite a hassle to get 100% running.
    With this hobby becoming more "write a check, unbox it, set it up, and I dont want to deal with 25+ year old problems", they would sell a ton.

Also own an original TAF that’s not in bad shape but would sell it to buy a NIB SE with the big score display, ball save, and better lighting.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Why not? The classic editions of AFM and MB are $6k.

There is much more cost to make taf over afm and mb not to mention the licensing.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

They should do it, then I could find a ratty player for under 4k.

Just like afm, MM, and MB, right ?

Oh,right.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

There is much more cost to make taf over afm and mb not to mention the licensing.

Apart from the licensing cost, why would a TAF cost so much more to make than AFMr, MBr, etc.?

#35 5 years ago

What kind of upgrades could a remake bring?..

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hammer1021:

What kind of upgrades could a remake bring?..

A real severed hand ...

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Apart from the licensing cost, why would a TAF cost so much more to make than AFMr, MBr, etc.?

I seriously doubt they would be able to get the licensing for Raul Julia, Anjelica Huston, and Christopher Lloyd images and voices for a remake. It would be just too expensive. Christopher Lloyd has already declined having his image used for a digital version.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

4 flippers, 5 pops, 3 magnets, multiple custom toys, large plastic ramp/s, more parts and associated assembly all around.

TAF is packed with parts compared to AFM, MM, and MBr(this one is closer).

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Quoted from Whysnow:

4 flippers, 5 pops, 3 magnets, multiple custom toys, large plastic ramp/s, more parts and associated assembly all around.

This

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Actually 4 magnets(things hand)

Also
    5 pops
    3 scoops
    Bookcase
    Ai thing flipper
    Topper
    Big subway

Plus all the other normal things

#41 5 years ago

Sucks that game more than 20 years old is considered too high tech and complicated for modern pinball. I never understood why a few spinners, an extra flipper, and a few extra things suddenly increase the cost of a pin by the thousands. I know, it all adds up but it's not like these parts are that expensive.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I never understood why a few spinners, an extra flipper, and a few extra things suddenly increase the cost of a pin by the thousands.

It doesn't increase the cost of a pin by thousands. It increases the price.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just like afm, MM, and MB, right ?
    Oh,right.

I'd give it a little time. Looking through the archives I see a lot of "not sold" and "sold elsewhere " with no prices.

Very few sold unless they are refurbished.

But hey, we're all just car salesmen, right?

#44 5 years ago

It doesn't increase the cost of a pin by thousands. It increases the price.

Bingo.

rd

#45 5 years ago

I don't think a TAFr would sell very well. Most people have already owned one. It's different than coveted themes like MMr, AFMr and MBr where people haven't had the chance to own them like TAF due to lesser supply. I think it'd be a flop.

#46 5 years ago

I would be very interested in buying a remake if it’s priced like MBr. Updated lighting and display would definitely be better than a 25year old pin.

#47 5 years ago

IMO the best DMD pinball ever made. Should be number 1 on the top 100 list.
    It was the highest selling pin for a reason, it earned more than all the other pins because it played better than all the other pins.
    If remade and cost 6k I bet they would easily sell over 1,000 games.

If you have a beat up TAF you could spend 3-4K or more restoring. That with the 5k you pay for it and now you are 9k or more in a game. At $6k for a new game it is a great value

#48 5 years ago

I’d buy a remake at AFM or MB remake prices.

#49 5 years ago

I don't want to see one, but purely for selfish reasons. I am sinking a small fortune into restoring mine right now and I don't want it to be trumped by a brand new machine at less than I invest into my original one.

#50 5 years ago

There’s unteen thousands TAFs in the wild. Do you really think TAFr would sell? There are many more deserving games in limited numbers; BBB for example.

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-a-taf-family-remake-would-sell-very-well-poll?hl=jjhlh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.