• Latest reply 10 years ago by dphelps
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-569.jpg

#1 10 years ago

I am really struggling as to whether I want to get a new Star Trek Pro machine or spend the $4,XXX.00 on a time tested machine. I don't want my first NIB to be a regretful purchase. Steve Ritchie is a proven entity, but that doesn't mean that he is perfect. Though at this point, Star Trek seems to be generating positive buzz. So, who out there has the new Star Trek as there first NIB and what has your experience been?

#2 10 years ago

I dont own a Star Trek yet, i'm in the same boat as you. However i have had a few NIB before.
The thing that bothers me is all this LE/Premium stuff, i stopped buying NIB when they raised the price and called it LE...

Really struggling like you if i should put the money in a Pro or save for a Premium.

Looks like a great game! I did see the movie this weekend and it was great also.

#3 10 years ago

Yeah, I don't want an LE, but for 1800 difference or so, is it worth the shaker, the colored stuff, the extra lights and the kickback? I also could probably get a WH2O, Funhouse or other awesome pin for the same money.

#4 10 years ago

I mostly play on location, I've owned 2 machines in the past, and Trek Pro was my first NiB.

The experience has been awesome. ST is a great game with enough challenge to keep you interested for a long time. You should go for it.

#5 10 years ago

I really think Premium looks so much better then LE. So if i dont get the Pro i get the Premium.
But i'm still not sure. Was about to pull the trigger on a WOZ when i started to notice Star Trek... Hard to decid!

#6 10 years ago

Is it worth the depreciation to get a NIB? I would likely get the Pro just because I don't think the bells and whistles are all that important. I'd love a B/W title or a 2k Stern to add to the collection.

This whole three tiered price system is still too new to know what the future value will be.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from PinSpinner:

Is it worth the depreciation to get a NIB? I would likely get the Pro just because I don't think the bells and whistles are all that important. I'd love a B/W title or a 2k Stern to add to the collection.
This whole three tiered price system is still too new to know what the future value will be.

The first thing I would recommend is finding a ST and playing it as much as possible, if you can. Then decide.

I would also say that if you are worried about depreciation, then don't bother with NIB. The moment you open it up, it's gonna lose value. But if you want a really fun experience, and don't care so much about the cost, then by all means, get one.

#8 10 years ago

So really how big is the difference on that big ship in the middle Pro vs LE/pre ?

#9 10 years ago

I'd go pro - and a great game, stands up, play wise, to some of the older goodies, and I'm a much bigger bally/williams fan. You won't regret the purchase, and you get that new pin smell!

#10 10 years ago

STLE will be my first NIB and probably only one due to space restrictions. So I had to make the right choice. And I think I did! Hope this helps.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from gambit:

I really think Premium looks so much better then LE. So if i dont get the Pro i get the Premium.
But i'm still not sure. Was about to pull the trigger on a WOZ when i started to notice Star Trek... Hard to decid!

Play both as they are night and day different!

#12 10 years ago

You couldn't ask for a finer nib experience than Star Trek.

#13 10 years ago

STLE is the best of the 21 sterns that I own. My pin-Teck bought the pro, and it's the best pro stern has released, without having to mod.

#14 10 years ago

I am in the same boat. I have owned two or three pins over the years,one at a time. I have 15 video ganes.
Just bought a star trek pro, based on the buzz on pinside. Should be here in a few days, I can't wait!

#15 10 years ago

Star Trek LE was my first NIB pin. I have had the range of HUO to dead formerly routed pins, and although I quite enjoy bringing a game back from the dead, I have to tell you Star Trek LE out of the box is awesome. Rearranged the pin lineup to give it a prominent position.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

I am in the same boat. I have owned two or three pins over the years,one at a time. I have 15 video ganes.Just bought a star trek pro, based on the buzz on pinside. Should be here in a few days, I can't wait!

You're going to love it. It looks so simplistic but, for some reason, it just works and is a blast to play.

#17 10 years ago

My Pro was "ALMOST" NIB....it had 20 plays on it and had a shaker put on it. It's the most advanced game I own and I don't regret buying it for a second. I would love a Premium or LE but I just don't have that kind of money for a pin...I'm a Mustang owner remember. How much value do you put into the "bells and whistles" the "eye candy" the other two offer? So many could give a rats ass about that kind of stuff but to others it's icing on a great cake. You have to decide which camp you fall into and buy accordingly. But you gotta get one!!!

I'm modding my Pro with a chrome, lit apron a Klingon ship, mirror blades, an xternal subwoofer and the clear blue sling protectors and may be a DMD Glare Guard.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

I am in the same boat. I have owned two or three pins over the years,one at a time. I have 15 video ganes.
Just bought a star trek pro, based on the buzz on pinside. Should be here in a few days, I can't wait!

Hey Dylan, didn't know you were on Pinside. I'm seriously considering selling two of my pins for a ST Pro. Are you gonna be around during Christmas break? I'm coming up to Sac and still need to check out your vids and now your pin.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from ThatGuy:

Hey Dylan, didn't know you were on Pinside. I'm seriously considering selling two of my pins for a ST Pro. Are you gonna be around during Christmas break? I'm coming up to Sac and still need to check out your vids and now your pin.

Yeah, we should be able to make it work.

#20 10 years ago

I bought a TSPP new in box back in 2003. Fantastic experience, but could not justify doing it again...until now. Just got my ST Pro this week. Played at the launch party and I was hooked; every collector should get to have a NIB experience at least once so I say go for it : )

#21 10 years ago

Me! My first NIB is STLE. I haven't taken delivery of it, yet and the wait is getting harder by the day...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#22 10 years ago
Quoted from PinSpinner:

Here's the thing - at worst, they'll most likely go up/down evenly, so you'll gain/lose the same no matter which version you get. If the Pro loses $500 in value, the Premium will too. The Premium will never be the same value or less than the Pro...and the LE will never be the same value or less than the Premium. At best - the LE will "break even" or gain more value than the other versions.

Sorry if that was confusing....but if you're thinking about selling time, you'll probably be in the same boat in terms of loss...so if you can afford it, why not go Prem or LE?

If you have patience - wait for a HUO machine. If you haven't had many classic 90's games and those are more appealing - get one of those....especially if you like to tinker/clean/fix/restore.

#23 10 years ago

I might consider going for a Metallica pro or ST pro when the time comes. Never had a NIB ever.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from PinSpinner:

You can get the Pro and a really nice BW game like STTNG, or two half decent titles. You can get the Premium and get a nice BW game. Or you can get the LE on it's own. All good choices because ST is a kick ass game! I personally think that the Premium is the best choice at USA prices.

#25 10 years ago

My 4th pinball is my 1st NIB. STLE is awesome!!! Out of the box tonight, only a handful of games but loving it, so far!

image-569.jpgimage-569.jpg
#26 10 years ago

If your not getting the LE, then whats the rush to get the pro or premium? Go and play one and decide if you really want it. I would think a year from now you will still be able to buy both of those models new.

If your not sure, I would go and buy a STTNG instead with your $4k. A year from now, you can sell or trade it and you will know all you need to know about the stern.

dylan, nice to hear your getting one. I got my LE on tuesday(2nd NIB pin), but its going to be sitting in its box for a while as I am swamped with work right now.

#27 10 years ago

Sounds like a NIB is quite an experience. What is there to expect with a NIB as far as problems or issues or anything of that nature? I do say that the excitement is building for this.

#28 10 years ago

My STPro played flawlessly right out of the box. The only adjustments I made was to led placement (centered a few in the inserts). My TSPP needed more tweaking of switches, ramp issue...either QC has improved or I just got lucky this time.

#29 10 years ago

STLE will be my first NIB. Should be delivered today!

#30 10 years ago

STLE is my first NIB, I always let some one else purchase new and eat the depreciation, the same practice I have with buying cars. But this game is a one "off". I am a trekie, fan of Steve Ritchie and plan this to be a my grail pinball. So while tough to swallow the pricing, the enjoyment and quality of the game carries the cost. I figure I will just be cremated and my ashes can go in the cabinet and then they can bury me, so I can justify the price, as no coffin expense! LOL

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

My STPro played flawlessly right out of the box. The only adjustments I made was to led placement (centered a few in the inserts). My TSPP needed more tweaking of switches, ramp issue...either QC has improved or I just got lucky this time.

You got lucky.

#32 10 years ago

I am not so sure QG, pulled my LE out of the box and have had no issues from the get go.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from silverball0:

I am not so sure QG, pulled my LE out of the box and have had no issues from the get go.

Same here, out of the box last night. It is flawless, so far.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from silverball0:

The LE's are built better so there probably won't be a problem with any of them but I believe Aquapin got a Pro which aren't built as well. I know the last three NIB Pro's I've bought had defects and had to return all three for new ones and got lucky every time on the second ones, ST was no different, the first one I received had raised inserts and a hole right down to the wood on the playfield. Returned it and second one was ok.

#35 10 years ago

ST Pro is a fantastic pin. I think the upgrade to Premium or LE is worth it. I chose LE because the early pics of the Premium looked heinous to me. Now that the Premiums are actually rolling off the line, the colour appears much more subdued and cool looking. The lighting is a huge addition. I had a bunch of time on the Pro, and I found the LE to be a substantial improvement. BUT, it's a LOT of money. Play before you pay. You have to LOVE the game to plunk down that kind of Dough.

#36 10 years ago

Was considering the Prem but got the Pro right away. Added the shaker, speaker lights, starfield blades, custom topper and custom NCC1701.(The items that were important to me anyway.) Basically have a faux premium now but saved a grand.

#37 10 years ago

ST Pro is my first pin and first NIB. I went to pinball expo looking for some old pins to possibly buy. It's been almost 30 years ago since I played some of these pins. I played the pro and liked it so much that I bought one. It's a lot for fun.

#38 10 years ago

I decided to pull the trigger on a Star Trek Premium. I think it boiled down to the light show, the 18 modes, but most importantly, that fresh new pin smell. I think I just want to have one new in box experience and this one was my choice for a variety of reasons.

#39 10 years ago

I was lucky to get to play a one locally albeit a standard edition and boy was I blown away. After a few visits I made the relevant calls and ordered a LE version, my first ever NIB although I bought a almost new Funhouse in 91.

Ive owned over 50 90s pins mostly Bally/Williams and although I've played a few Sterns over the past decade nothings grabbed me like this did. I am also impressed by the build and quality compared to some of there previous efforts.

I would never have thought id buy a NIB in my lifetime as I love the classics and currently own FH, TZ, JY and TAFG although this is now sold to pay for the LE.

Santas coming early this year

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from PinSpinner:

I decided to pull the trigger on a Star Trek Premium.

I want to convince myself that spending the money for a STID Premium is a good idea...have played a Pro, and it was pretty fun.

Just seems like a lot of $ to spend on a pinball game.

Robert

#41 10 years ago

I made my decision because of the extra lights, the wireform ramps (some say it is slower, but they have the potential to last A LOT longer) and the metal vs plastic apron. Those things, to me anyway, justified the money difference over the life of the machine just from a maintenance and sturdiness standpoint. The double clearcoat is nice also. If you are going to be enjoying this machine for a long time (i.e. years and years) then I say go Premium. If you are gonna play it for a year or two and rotate it out, go Pro.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from PinSpinner:

I decided to pull the trigger on a Star Trek Premium. I think it boiled down to the light show, the 18 modes, but most importantly, that fresh new pin smell. I think I just want to have one new in box experience and this one was my choice for a variety of reasons.

You won't regret it. Star Trek LE was my first NIB. What a great experience. It really does have that fresh new pin smell.

My review of the game and a description of by NIB experience (including a few minor problems) is here (towards the bottom of the page):

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-i-got-my-stle-and-this-is-what-i-think-thread/page/9

Great game, you won't regret getting the premium over the pro. The light show is great. Full playfield multicolor RGB LEDs is awesome. If the premium doesn't come with a shaker, I highly recommend one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, SC
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whose-first-nib-was-st-prole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.