(Topic ID: 203685)

Who's the best pinball manufacturer of all time? POLL!

By gmkalos

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who's the best pinball manufacturer of all time? POLL!”

• Williams 151 votes
      46%
    • Bally 67 votes
      21%
    • Gottlieb 35 votes
      11%
    • Jersey Jack 26 votes
      8%
    • Stern 33 votes
      10%
    • Dutch Pinball 2 votes
      1%
    • Spooky 3 votes
      1%
    • Chicago Coin 1 vote
    • Write-in (comment) 8 votes
      2%

(326 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sega_logo (resized).jpg
    deco03 (resized).png
    capcom-logo (resized).jpg
    CC4055D3-F95A-4CCF-B152-94BDF812056C (resized).jpeg
    Peanuts-Rock-The-Vote-Logo.png
    Gottlieb_old_logo.svg (resized).png
    20161129_215131 (resized).jpg
    number1.jpg
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

So who's the best pinball manufacturer of all time?

number1.jpgnumber1.jpg

#2 6 years ago

20161129_215131 (resized).jpg20161129_215131 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

The Gottlieb crowd must be to busy playing to vote. Gottlieb longest pinball producing company so far but i do agree that Williams and Bally both made great games also.

Gottlieb_old_logo.svg (resized).pngGottlieb_old_logo.svg (resized).png

#4 6 years ago

It kind of depends upon the time period. They all had shining moments.

#5 6 years ago

Inder. Never played one, or saw one, but wanted to write in an obscure company

#6 6 years ago

Gottlieb no question.

#7 6 years ago

Williams DUUUUHHHHH!!!

#9 6 years ago

What do you mean by best, build quality, funnest games or what?

#10 6 years ago

Without a doubt. Bally is the best!!!

#11 6 years ago

I’m my humble opinion the greatest games of all time came from the Bally/williams company. I voted Williams because I prefer their games in the later 80s pre merger but after that they are essentially the same company and probably deserve their own category

But the above comment about it depending on which era is spot on. I think Gottlieb made the best EM games hands down. I’ve really became quite the fan of system 80 as well. I prefer the Gottlieb games of that time period to their bally or Williams counterparts.

#12 6 years ago

CAPCOM!

#13 6 years ago

Williams overall.

Honorable mentions to Bally and Stern.

I can't stand Gottlieb games other than some of the classic EMs, so while I appreciate everything they've done for Pinball, not the best manufacturer for me personally.

#14 6 years ago

Classic Stern

#15 6 years ago

Stern was. Because they put out some of the best games. When I go down the list of the “greatest” games ever made, it was the Stern games that I considered to be the most fun to play.

Sadly, the years were not kind to them, and in order to survive they had to cheapen their product while increasing prices. And along the way of doing that they had a LOT of issues with accomplishing the basics like playfields and cabinets. But now they have accomplished bringing consumer level work to what used to be commercial machines. But for a while, they made some of the best games on the planet.

#16 6 years ago

What Bally games would be considered great ? AFM....what else ?

#17 6 years ago

Game Plan. Just kidding. They weren't even mentioned and probably never will be in this thread.

Carry on...

#18 6 years ago

Id say they have to be in business for more than 20 years and still be in business today. Say what you will but one stayed in the game while others walked away or were forced to close.
    Build quality, art work and such can be debated all day long.
    If everyone had closed their doors in 2000 my vote would be different and IMO if that would have happened jjp dutch and the others would never had been considered viable business ventures.

#20 6 years ago

Write-In for CAPCOM (thumbs up to vote for Capcom)

capcom-logo (resized).jpgcapcom-logo (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

Rock the vote!

Peanuts-Rock-The-Vote-Logo.pngPeanuts-Rock-The-Vote-Logo.png

#22 6 years ago

Hint

CC4055D3-F95A-4CCF-B152-94BDF812056C (resized).jpegCC4055D3-F95A-4CCF-B152-94BDF812056C (resized).jpeg

#23 6 years ago

bally Williams in the late 80's into early 90's (89-95) Stern in the early to mid 2000's (2003-2008) and jersey jack in the the later 2000's.(2013-present)

#24 6 years ago

Write-In for SEGA (thumbs up to vote for Sega)

sega_logo (resized).jpgsega_logo (resized).jpg

#25 6 years ago

For fun factor would be stern......best build quality jjp.... Gottlieb would be for creativity...Williams and bally had the whole package....my vote for stern jus because of the deeper codes and fun factor....

#26 6 years ago

Interesting Poll as it is missing a few 90's Capcom, Data East, and Sega
    All manufacturers that produced way more pinball than Dutch, Spooky or possibly even Chicago Coin. Also as mentioned, era's is important as well as other determining factors.

#27 6 years ago

Gottlieb were the kings of the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

#28 6 years ago

Write-in for DATA EAST (thumbs up to vote for DE)

deco03 (resized).pngdeco03 (resized).png

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

What Bally games would be considered great ? AFM....what else ?

How about TZ, TAF, CFTBL, SS, CV, TOM, etc... there are a few lol

#30 6 years ago

I took that picture around 1975.

#31 6 years ago

this poll is flawed because different manufacturers were the number 1 depending on the time period you are talking about. Also, which country you are talking about differs as well.

And where is Zaccaria? in the early 80's they were the 3rd biggest manufacturer of pinballs.

#32 6 years ago

Tomy

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And where is Zaccaria? in the early 80's they were the 3rd biggest manufacturer of pinballs.

THere are only 9 spots for choices so you have to leave some out. And let's be honest, more people would claim Sega over the 1 lone vote Zac would get from you

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

How about TZ, TAF, CFTBL, SS, CV, TOM, etc... there are a few lol

And Bally dominated the early Solid State era....no contest there. Bally for the win.

#35 6 years ago

Bally/Williams 90’s
    Great era for solid fun games.
    Those are the ones who got remade .... (for now )

#36 6 years ago

Gottlieb led the pinball explosion for over three decades bringing pinball into unprecedented popularity. Once they left the pinball market it collapsed within five years; much like a couple who have been married for decades dying of natural causes within day of each, pinball could not live without Gottlieb in its life.

Seriously though, do people really want Sega to be in the discussion, lol.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

Gottlieb led the pinball explosion for over three decades bringing pinball into unprecedented popularity. Once they left the pinball market it collapsed within five years; much like a couple who have been married for decades dying of natural causes within day of each, pinball could not live without Gottlieb in its life.
    Seriously though, do people really want Sega to be in the discussion, lol.

uhm, i think you've got that backwards. the pinball market didn't die because Gottlieb failed. Gottlieb failed because pinball was dying.

#38 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is going to come down to Bally or Williams, all Bally pins 1989-2000 are actually WMS (Williams) so keep that in mind when voting!

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

I'm pretty sure this is going to come down to Bally or Williams, all Bally pins 1989-2000 are actually WMS (Williams) so keep that in mind when voting!

You can't change the rules mid vote.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

They might have been owned by WMS but they are still marketed and labeled under the Bally brand.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Gottlieb failed because pinball was dying.

Also their electronic games were 90% crappy.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Also their electronic games were 90% crappy.

well, i didn't want to be cruel, but that had to be a factor. by 1996, operators were massively cutting back on their pinball purchases, and those corny Premiere titles were probably the easiest to skip.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

They might have been owned by WMS but they are still marketed and labeled under the Bally brand.

This is why I said there needs to be a separate category for just bally/williams.

#44 6 years ago

Gottlieb was the best by a mile!!!

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from EM_SteveE:

With a user name like yours its not surprising.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from EM_SteveE:

A lot has changed in 40 years lol.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

You can't change the rules mid vote.

I never did they were always manufactured by WMS lol

#48 6 years ago

Three votes for Spooky?!?

Seriously?

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

well, i didn't want to be cruel, but that had to be a factor. by 1996, operators were massively cutting back on their pinball purchases, and those corny Premiere titles were probably the easiest to skip.

Operators were avoiding the names in order, changing them didn't bring back customers. Gottlieb, Mylstar, Premiere, then back to Gottlieb.

LTG : )

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Three votes for Spooky?!?
    Seriously?

How many employees do they have ?

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-the-best-pinball-manufacturer-of-all-time-poll?hl=timefornostalgia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.