(Topic ID: 203685)

Who's the best pinball manufacturer of all time? POLL!

By gmkalos

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who's the best pinball manufacturer of all time? POLL!”

• Williams 151 votes
      46%
    • Bally 67 votes
      21%
    • Gottlieb 35 votes
      11%
    • Jersey Jack 26 votes
      8%
    • Stern 33 votes
      10%
    • Dutch Pinball 2 votes
      1%
    • Spooky 3 votes
      1%
    • Chicago Coin 1 vote
    • Write-in (comment) 8 votes
      2%

(326 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sega_logo (resized).jpg
    deco03 (resized).png
    capcom-logo (resized).jpg
    CC4055D3-F95A-4CCF-B152-94BDF812056C (resized).jpeg
    Peanuts-Rock-The-Vote-Logo.png
    Gottlieb_old_logo.svg (resized).png
    20161129_215131 (resized).jpg
    number1.jpg
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

How many employees do they have ?

There hiring! lol

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

How many employees do they have ?

Judging by the pictures of the new building. I'd say more than a few, 6 to 10 wouldn't surprise me. Plus the original family members. And they use them quite effectively. At some point during their shift they change to other tasks.

LTG : )

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Gottlieb were the kings of the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

Maybe the 70s, but it would be hard to argue Gottlieb not being #1 in the
    50s and 60s, (and really, a good chunk of the 70s). I have to give Gottlieb
    the #1 All-Around..

#54 6 years ago

EM: Gottlieb
    SS: Bally and Classic Stern
    Alpha Numeric: Williams System 11
    DMD 1991-1999: Williams/Bally
    DMD/LCD 2000-Present: Stern

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I agree with this completely

Of course who am I lol.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Exact same list I was thinking. But, it's Gottlieb as #1 overall for being the best, the longest. I'd give them 30 years as king. 50's 60's and 70's EM's. Yeah, yeah I know all the modern Stern and Williams/Bally fanboys are gonna say how great their games are and I agree they are "now" better games. However Williams/Bally only ran #1 for 10 years and Stern I would only say their first 12 years. After that their games, well you know the story.

#57 6 years ago

1. Stern
    2. Stern
    3. Stern

Honorable mention - Stern

Sincerely,
    Who-Dey

#58 6 years ago

Gottlieb made the most reliable games during the EM era, and although their DMD games may have less appealing themes or gameplay, in term of mechanical reliability they probably were even better than Bally/Williams at that time. At least that what operators kept telling me. Early SS years Bally would get my vote. DMD era has to be Bally/Williams as they even topped quality, creativity and gameplay, even for many years after they quit making games. These days it appears JJP and Chicago Gaming are delivering both in quality and quantity.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

THere are only 9 spots for choices so you have to leave some out. And let's be honest, more people would claim Sega over the 1 lone vote Zac would get from you

but you know the irony is, that zaccaria produced more games than Sega and 3 of the people in the list combined.

and in all honesty. Sega really has a poor good to shit ratio. Probably the worst of anyone. They really only have 2 great games in their catalogue and 3 others that are fairly good, but could be considered DE titles. Out of all DMD manufacturers. Sega is the weakest link.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Out of all DMD manufacturers. Sega is the weakest link.

This is a very true statement.

#61 6 years ago

A 3 horse race, each had their era of dominance. If you go strictly by the amount of time that dominance lasted then Gottlieb wins, if you look at who brought pinball into the SS age, then Bally, and of course in the modern era it was Williams who set the standard.

A 3 way tie may be closest to the truth!!

#62 6 years ago

The votes don't lie and the action is heating up here at the Pinside World Cup! Williams is way out on top right now followed by Bally, there's a fierce race for 3rd between Gottlieb and Stern. Jersey Jack sitting pretty in 5th and hammering it out for the 6th position, its a 3 horse race between Capcom, Dutch Pinball and Spooky Pinball!

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

The votes don't lie
    ...its a 3 horse race between Capcom, Dutch Pinball and Spooky Pinball!

By having Dutch pinball in the running against Capcom or Spooky tells me the numbers are stupid.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

By having Dutch pinball in the running against Capcom or Spooky tells me the numbers are stupid.

There's only 2-3 votes for each of them, remember you only get to vote once! But with almost 300 in votes now it's interesting to see how dedicated people are to their favorite manufacturer...I feel like I'm at a Nascar race! lol

And is this not totally reveling the true pecking order of these pinball companies! If this topic stays open for a while and even 1/4 of the pinsiders vote on this it will be so interesting to see where pinball enthusiasts hearts lie!

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

What Bally games would be considered great ? AFM....what else ?

During the Midway years...a lot of good ones, TAF being largest production of all time

The Addams Family
    Cirqus Voltaire
    Creature from the Black Lagoon
    Safe Cracker
    Scared Stiff
    The Shadow
    Theatre of Magic
    Twilight Zone
    World Cup Soccer

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

almost spot on

EM: Gottlieb (honorable mention to williams woodrails)
    SS : Zaccaria
    Alpha numeric: Williams and honorable mention to early DE
    DMD: B/W
    PB2K: Williams
    Post 1999: Stern

#67 6 years ago

...there is no Bally/Williams there just Williams, Bally folded Williams bought them in 1988. I love Bally too, I know. If you've worked on any Bally DMD you can tell there more Williams like than Bally!

#68 6 years ago

Take a wild guess who I voted for...

#69 6 years ago

I am a big Zac fan as well, they produced great games, but if I had to keep one pin for the early 80's it would rather be a Bally (Centaur or Medusa).

#70 6 years ago

According to their Interview Deeproot is the greatest Company in existence.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Take a wild guess who I voted for...

I'll bite.... Williams? Cause that is who I voted for.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

I am a big Zac fan as well, they produced great games, but if I had to keep one pin for the early 80's it would rather be a Bally (Centaur or Medusa).

for me it would be Zankor.

#73 6 years ago

I proud to say I voted for Bally

Great Bally documentary...
    https://vimeo.com/19585210

1 month later
    #74 6 years ago

To be the greatest is a tall task. But I can only think of one company that spent over a half century of innovation, and trying to improve pinball every step of the way. And hired and employed all the best people available for the job. That list of men is staggering.

#75 6 years ago

Well, back in the day it would have to be Bally/Williams but today it's Stern.

#76 6 years ago

For me would have to be gottlieb, having invented flippers !

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lepus-rabbit:

For me would have to be gottlieb, having invented flippers !

Shortly thereafter the designer Harry Mabs left and went to work for Williams, which started a 50 year run of hiring most of the best design, programming, and art talent this industry has known as they became available. Some of who are still tops in the industry today. As I said, that list of men is staggering.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-the-best-pinball-manufacturer-of-all-time-poll/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.