1E1CC110-0EFA-413A-909A-F0545718D7F5 (resized).jpeg
25CF2A15-D148-4365-AB45-4DA16E808574 (resized).jpeg
34D45764-A56B-4289-AEDE-2D43A46FA061 (resized).jpeg
BEA220EA-D93D-4948-965C-D745514EC38F (resized).jpeg
0030603F-418F-4FC2-8FFB-F4A813CC029F (resized).jpeg
D5A4F5E0-1E2D-4AAD-BC0C-CFB033CD72C2 (resized).jpeg
984EB697-848F-47EC-8F8C-7AF97BA9D935 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hi- I’ve got a super clean AG USA FOOTBALL.

Never had an Alvin g game. But I’m liking it.

The issue I’m experiencing is, the flashers are really dim. During attract, gameplay, and in test mode.

What would cause this?

Thx
Pete

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from petebest:

Hi- I’ve got a super clean AG USA FOOTBALL.
Never had an Alvin g game. But I’m liking it.
The issue I’m experiencing is, the flashers are really dim. During attract, gameplay, and in test mode.
What would cause this?
Thx
Pete

984EB697-848F-47EC-8F8C-7AF97BA9D935 (resized).jpeg984EB697-848F-47EC-8F8C-7AF97BA9D935 (resized).jpeg
#3 2 years ago

Wrong bulbs in them ?

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago

I have an Alvin G Soccer I picked up a few months ago and have been also looking for help. I started a thread here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-soccer-2

First I would check the options menu. There is an option to dim the flashers.

Next I would check the 12vdc voltage with a multimeter. Could you post a picture of the power PCA. It should be PCA-019A. There is a pot you can adjust the voltage if it is low. The best schematic I have found for the PCA-019A is on IPDB for Punchy the Clown.

I ended up cutting off the Insulation displacement connectors with molex crimp connections. That will also help get cleaner power.

If that does not do it, replace the capacitors on the PCA-019A board.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from AD72:

I have an Alvin G Soccer I picked up a few months ago and have been also looking for help. I started a thread here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-soccer-2
First I would check the options menu. There is an option to dim the flashers.
Next I would check the 12vdc voltage with a multimeter. Could you post a picture of the power PCA. It should be PCA-019A. There is a pot you can adjust the voltage if it is low. The best schematic I have found for the PCA-019A is on IPDB for Punchy the Clown.
I ended up cutting off the Insulation displacement connectors with molex crimp connections. That will also help get cleaner power.
If that does not do it, replace the capacitors on the PCA-019A board.

0030603F-418F-4FC2-8FFB-F4A813CC029F (resized).jpeg0030603F-418F-4FC2-8FFB-F4A813CC029F (resized).jpegD5A4F5E0-1E2D-4AAD-BC0C-CFB033CD72C2 (resized).jpegD5A4F5E0-1E2D-4AAD-BC0C-CFB033CD72C2 (resized).jpeg
#6 2 years ago

That looks similar to the PCA-019A but the bridge rectifiers for the 48v and 20v are missing. I think it is original though because I see the same power supply on the USA Football on IPDB. I would bet the pin outs are the same. Looks like the same wire harness colors.

The blue pot on the right controls the 12v. That part is the same on your PCA.

34D45764-A56B-4289-AEDE-2D43A46FA061 (resized).jpeg34D45764-A56B-4289-AEDE-2D43A46FA061 (resized).jpegBEA220EA-D93D-4948-965C-D745514EC38F (resized).jpegBEA220EA-D93D-4948-965C-D745514EC38F (resized).jpeg
#7 2 years ago

Here is a post about the power supplies. The one you have is an early version. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-soccer-1#post-3285619

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from AD72:

Here is a post about the power supplies. The one you have is an early version. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-soccer-1#post-3285619

Alrighty!

So the flashers are fine now. They were set to dim. I had no idea that was a setting! So thanks for that.

I have uncovered another gremlin however. Sometimes the ball doesn’t register that it’s drained. And then the ball just sits there until “missing ball” search/eject program begins. UNLESS - If I press both flipper buttons, then the ball ejects as it should and game continues. So strange.

Any thoughts on that?

I have ordered a manual, as I have no paperwork. And I’m not well versed in solid state games. But I can usually get by

Additionally, Regarding the 12v pot you referenced above. When I tested it, I had 8.4 volts on the lead on left side of the pot and 9v on the right. I adjusted the pot (counterclockwise) so now I’m getting 12.1 on the right lead. Is that what I’m hoping to achieve? (((Pic below)))

Last thing - I have a lead coming out of the marquee that I can’t get identity where to plug in. Is it unused? (((Pic below)))

Thanks for all your help

Pete

1E1CC110-0EFA-413A-909A-F0545718D7F5 (resized).jpeg1E1CC110-0EFA-413A-909A-F0545718D7F5 (resized).jpeg25CF2A15-D148-4365-AB45-4DA16E808574 (resized).jpeg25CF2A15-D148-4365-AB45-4DA16E808574 (resized).jpeg
#9 2 years ago
Quoted from petebest:

Alrighty!
So the flashers are fine now. They were set to dim. I had no idea that was a setting! So thanks for that.
I have uncovered another gremlin however. Sometimes the ball doesn’t register that it’s drained. And then the ball just sits there until “missing ball” search/eject program begins. UNLESS - If I press both flipper buttons, then the ball ejects as it should and game continues. So strange.
Any thoughts on that?
I have ordered a manual, as I have no paperwork. And I’m not well versed in solid state games. But I can usually get by
Additionally, Regarding the 12v pot you referenced above. When I tested it, I had 8.4 volts on the lead on left side of the pot and 9v on the right. I adjusted the pot (counterclockwise) so now I’m getting 12.1 on the right lead. Is that what I’m hoping to achieve? (((Pic below)))
Last thing - I have a lead coming out of the marquee that I can’t get identity where to plug in. Is it unused? (((Pic below)))
Thanks for all your help
Pete [quoted image][quoted image]

Cool, glad to see that your flashers are going again.

That cable that you're talking about is for powering the game from above instead of below. It runs up to male prongs on the top of the marquee box. You would disconnect the other cord and plug this one in if needed. This was a great idea for locations that had the game away from a wall due to the head-to-head nature of the game.

As far as VR1 goes, 12V is what you want out of it. If you test VR2 on this board you will want 5V from it. Test the voltage on the fuse holder (to ground) on the circuits in question and see what it reads there.

Regarding your issue with the outhole, is it just the one end that isn't registering touchtowns (and kicking the ball out), or is it the other end as well?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Cool, glad to see that your flashers are going again.
That cable that you're talking about is for powering the game from above instead of below. It runs up to male prongs on the top of the marquee box. You would disconnect the other cord and plug this one in if needed. This was a great idea for locations that had the game away from a wall due to the head-to-head nature of the game.
As far as VR1 goes, 12V is what you want out of it. If you test VR2 on this board you will want 5V from it. Test the voltage on the fuse holder (to ground) on the circuits in question and see what it reads there.
Regarding your issue with the outhole, is it just the one end that isn't registering touchtowns (and kicking the ball out), or is it the other end as well?

Matt-

Its both outholes. And also the 2 kickers and both saucers. I only mentioned the single outhole to simplify since it seems all related. any of the 6 features listed will randomly NOT kick the ball out. as I mentioned before, holding both flipper buttons in will usually immediately cause the appropriate feature to fire moving the ball back into play. so weird!

thx
pete

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from petebest:

Matt-
Its both outholes. And also the 2 kickers and both saucers. I only mentioned the single outhole to simplify since it seems all related. any of the 6 features listed will randomly NOT kick the ball out. as I mentioned before, holding both flipper buttons in will usually immediately cause the appropriate feature to fire moving the ball back into play. so weird!
thx
pete

That is really weird. I am not aware of anything built into the software that would allow a double flip to eject the balls. It almost makes me think that it’s just the vibration of all 6 flipper coils firing at once that is causing a switch to close. But what are the odds of so many switches being in that same flaky state?

At this point I would suggest going into switch test and manually testing all related switches, and also test them with a ball. See what the display tells you and we’ll go from there.

Also maybe flip the playfield up and check for loose switch connections that are getting a bit of a bump from vibration. I know they aren’t all on the same row or column, but maybe there’s multiple connection issues. The CPU board itself could be another possibility, I suppose.

#12 2 years ago

Regarding the switches not registering I had the same issue until I got the 5v running constantly. Check that line. It can be adjusted with the other small pot on the board to 5.4v for some headroom. I read in another post if the capacitors are bad the 5v will drop with coil firing and make the controller board misbehave.

#13 2 years ago

Here are the voltages from the AG Soccer schematics. I got that from IPDB. I ordered a manual from Marco but it did not include a schematic. Does the manual you ordered come with a schematic?

02BE39F3-7471-44EC-9448-93A04B9C2364 (resized).png02BE39F3-7471-44EC-9448-93A04B9C2364 (resized).png
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from AD72:Regarding the switches not registering I had the same issue until I got the 5v running constantly. Check that line. It can be adjusted with the other small pot on the board to 5.4v for some headroom. I read in another post if the capacitors are bad the 5v will drop with coil firing and make the controller board misbehave.

The pot circled in Red? That’s supposed to control 5v?

Thx
Pete

46C4D7AB-B599-48FB-AB92-5203D91C8E39 (resized).jpeg46C4D7AB-B599-48FB-AB92-5203D91C8E39 (resized).jpeg
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from AD72:

Here are the voltages from the AG Soccer schematics. I got that from IPDB. I ordered a manual from Marco but it did not include a schematic. Does the manual you ordered come with a schematic?
[quoted image]

I don’t know if the manual I ordered will contain a schematic….I bought it private party, so it’ll be a mystery until it shows up

Pete

#16 2 years ago

petebest yes that is the 5v pot.

#17 2 years ago

petebest could you check what voltage you are getting on the 48v line while you are at it with a multimeter. Thanks. I want to see if you are getting the same as I am.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from AD72:

petebest could you check what voltage you are getting on the 48v line while you are at it with a multimeter. Thanks. I want to see if you are getting the same as I am.

Ok - so several things.

-I’ve got the 12v pot adjusted, now reading at 12.1 (was at 9v)
-I’ve got the 5v pot adjusted, now reading 5.1 (was at 4v)

These adjustments did not solve the issues.
I have turned Playfield over and checked for crossed wires, loose wires, etc etc. I did not find anything that was out of order.

During the frequent testing cycles that I did, I have a more thorough assessment of the issues:

-sometimes; when the ball is in an outhole, saucer, kicker, etc the ball will not eject. If left alone - the game will cycle all coils as part of the “missing ball” program. THIS ISSUE GETS WORSE THE MORE YOU PLAY A GAME. If you turn it off and back on it will play 100% for a SHORT period then start glitching again.

-strangely, (when the ball enters one of the features listed above and gets “stuck”) if I press both flipper buttons at the same time, the coil that belongs to that feature will fire releasing the ball back into play. Works every time.

I have checked all connectors / plugs etc. reseated all. I’ve pulled the chips, and reseated them too. Pulled all fuses and cleaned the fuse holders. Etc etc.

When I go into test mode there aren’t any switch failures. No issues to be found in the diagnostics.

I have not been able to check the 48v line. Pp1 and pp2 both have 48v listed. However - the schematic does not seem to match up with what I have.

So - not sure what to do here. I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thx!
Pete

#19 2 years ago

petebest I still think it is a PSU problem. I had strange ball search and game restart issues until I bypassed the Alvin G 5v power supply line with a 5v Meanwell power supply and re-terminated the power connector into the main board with a molex crimp connection. I am still running my machine on the Meanwell switching power supply and have not had any issues.
I went down the path of swapping out the main board and the ICs as well.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from AD72:

petebest I still think it is a PSU problem. I had strange ball search and game restart issues until I bypassed the Alvin G 5v power supply line with a 5v Meanwell power supply and re-terminated the power connector into the main board with a molex crimp connection. I am still running my machine on the Meanwell switching power supply and have not had any issues.
I went down the path of swapping out the main board and the ICs as well.

I agree. I can’t find anything else that makes sense. Unless there’s a grounding issue? Is it prudent to do ground mods / tie the boards together? I’ve done this on my GTB system 80 (and variants) games

My electronic knowledge is limited. But I’m willing to try anything.

Can you offer more information regarding the 5v power supply workaround? Part numbers or links? I just have no clue what I’m searching for. Additionally - would you be willing to supply instructions detailing how it was installed?

Thx!
Pete

#21 2 years ago

petebest I will take some photos of my setup this weekend and how it is connected.

Here is the model I am using. Meanwell RS 50-5. It is 10A. I had it around for powering LED strips for custom games. I cant remember the fuse rating on the existing supply to derive what the current requirement is for the controller board, but it is far less than that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005T6TLMI

#22 2 years ago

Here is a drawing of what I did for the 5V bypass of the power supply. I have mine plugged into the service port ac but unfortunately that is before the power switch so it is always on when plugged in. So instead I have my pinball machine plugged into a power strip. If I keep this 5v power supply arrangement I will tap into the 120v lines that are going up to the marquee that power the fluorescent light.

I got a voltage regulator IC I am going to try in the original power supply board and see if that helps my issue with the 5V. I have already replaced all the caps. You may need to replace the caps as well if you want to use the existing power supply for all the power lines. There is no longer an audible interference in the audio after I replaced the caps. If you are not comfortable with doing that, contact Clive at https://www.coinopcauldron.com/brepairs.html. He is familiar with the Alvin G psu issues.

Have you had a chance to test that 48V line with a multimeter to see what DC voltage you get? Thanks.

5V PSU (resized).png5V PSU (resized).png
#23 2 years ago

Have you checked the 20v line. When I first checked and was having the same issue I was only getting 17VDC. I changed the capacitors for it and the 5v at the same time so it is difficult to tell which solved the issue.

#24 2 years ago

Thank you very much. I ordered caps yesterday. I will do what I can when they arrive, and see what happens.

By the way - even though I dont have a manual yet, I did find the original schematics / diagrams for this game. Let me know if you need copies of any.

Pete

#25 2 years ago

Found a bad solder joint on one of the 33,000 capacitors. I pulled the board to replace all the caps, guess I won’t now!

Game plays 100% now.

Thx for all the help!

C4F89F8C-571A-4A42-9E1C-A052F10D2632 (resized).jpegC4F89F8C-571A-4A42-9E1C-A052F10D2632 (resized).jpeg
#26 2 years ago

AD72 - Per your request here is a pic of the underside of the board, post repair

Pete

B35C96CB-8C83-4971-B011-D2F3053AFA91 (resized).jpegB35C96CB-8C83-4971-B011-D2F3053AFA91 (resized).jpeg
#27 2 years ago

So was that C3 on the 20v line to control the mosfets?

1 year later
#28 1 year ago

Just to have historical data. Someone brought me a Pistol Poker that resets randomly. From reading it seems the caps on the PS board may be the main issue. I'm going to document and get a BOM for the version I have and post that.

WHo put the plug behind the heat sinks...uff that sucked. Board looks like it had some work prior but game functions. I shall plug it back in and test voltages etc.

IMG_0710 (resized).jpgIMG_0710 (resized).jpg
#29 1 year ago

northvibe Yes I replaced all the caps on mine but I chose not to use the 5v from the original PSU for the main board. Instead I bought a modern switching power supply and it is much more stable. I will post a picture later.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-the-alvin-g-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.