Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jjpcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdblackandwhite_(resized).jpg
IMG_3061_(resized).JPG
pasted_image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider visi0n.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Hi Everyone.
I've ordered a GB Premium and might cancel my Hobbit. I've played hobbit and not crazy about it so far. Seen videos gameplay of GB and looks great and easy for a novice walking up rather than the Hobbit which will be deep.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tough call, they are very different games.. This is one of those matters of taste like a Williams v Stern debate.

Just eyeing your collection, (which looks awesome!) - it seems like you have a penchant for classics (the Class of '93/'94/'95.)

If you want a game that shoots like a Bally / Williams pin, that is what The Hobbit feels like to me and it makes sense because that (appears at least) to be the JJP idea. (Williams v2.0) The Hobbit ball times are going to be on average, longer where you will be getting control and making shots based on plenty of hurry-ups. While the ball travel may not be breakneck, it can still be a hectic game based on hurry-up goals and the obstacles posed by the trolls / monsters / pop-ups, etc.

New players will play Hobbit and feel like they did well. Seasoned players will find a challenge in objective / roadmap. Scores will be more consistent.

GB, to me, reminds me a lot of Tron, as if JT was channeling Borg as pen went to paper.. Often-short ball times with just-enough occasional rewards to keep people coming back 'one more game.' Great theme, great art package, fun sound. New players will play it b/c of the theme and come back for more abuse. Seasoned players will enjoy the difficulty and challenge.

I think in a collection like yours (if I were you ) I would look for diversity in game play. I think GB would give a different gameplay than some of your other games, while the The Hobbit will 'feel familiar.'

In full disclosure: I have a TH paid for/ soon-to-be-enroute and I'll be down for a GB Premium or 2nd hand LE when they are eventually available, unless a nearby friend gets one first. I *was* on the pre-pre-list for a GB LE but lost my spot to pursue another game that was on my bucket list.

2 weeks later
#173 8 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I'd just be really worried about the playfield on JJP machines given some of the horror stories and photos.

FWIW: After 1,000 plays with an average scores > 300,000 (so ~15 minute games), I'm thrilled with how my WOZ playfield has held up.
To pre-empt the "but that's home use" indictment, sometimes I question the notion that home use might somehow be better on a machine than route use. My games get way more action in my basement than most games in bars and restaurants I've ever seen.. though I do maintain them pretty diligently.

IMG_3061_(resized).JPGIMG_3061_(resized).JPG

I digress to say I don't think the playfield horror stories are indicative of everyone's experience.

Quoted from konghusker:

Ive seen a bunch of Metallica's, Simpsons, Ironmans, and other greats for sale in the last 4 months too. Means nothing other than guys changing up collections, or needing money for something else..

Yep. I'm glad people aren't hoarding awesome titles and I think great new titles from Stern and JJP are great for breaking loose some of those games people thought they'd keep forever. It is nice to cycle out for fresh stuff, with awesome new titles inbound, there are great pins for sale of all era. I don't see folks selling a pin as an indictment on that pin's fun-ness. Some of us can only smack the silver ball against the same set of targets so many times before we are ready for something else.

On the magnaslings, I don't think it is unreasonable to at least mention and discuss the potential for wear, until Stern shows us the neat contraption they built to test the wear for the magnaslings. High powered magnets pulling on hard metal into soft wood, I mean it seems like a reasonable concern, to me. Maybe just throwing some mylar will fix it, hopefully Stern already has something in place when those ship or even better, hopefully nothing will be necessary at all. I think reasonable people can recognize at least that the wear on them is an unknown for the time being - and leave it at that.

Slings have always been high-wear areas, anyway: Nearly every Williams IJ on the planet has a black smudge near the slings. Keep it waxed or use a Makrolon pf protector if you are really worried.

I am glad Stern tried something new and I look forward to owning a GB Premium or LE to try them out in full magnetoApocalyptic glory.

#176 8 years ago

Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread with WoZ Stuff. I just got word from a local operator that has a GB Pro on the way for the Pensacola Area, hoping to be there to break it in properly until I can get my own Premium on order.

To the thread topic, based on a bunch of factors, her logic was that GB was a better choice for the business than Hobbit. Lower cost of entry, a home-run theme, Trudea-gap quarter stealing flippers are all the operator's friend. For the collector, they are just totally different beasts; an Apples and Oranges comparison. Some folks like Apples and some folks like Oranges.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider visi0n.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-played-both-ghostbusters-and-hobbit?tu=visi0n and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.