Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jjpcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdblackandwhite_(resized).jpg
IMG_3061_(resized).JPG
pasted_image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I played the hobbit several times and didn't pay much attention to the color or quality of the armor but the game play left me flat. I waited in line twice to play it at the last show and I had no desire to wait a 3rd time, no powder coating job is gunna change that.

Couldn't agree more. I played it at a tournament and had a killer game (got the GC score). After my killer game, I didn't feel exhilarated or excited in any way. Felt like "chopping wood". Got the GC on my AC/DC recently and had a blast.

Hobbit is a beauty to look at and the LCD images are awesome. Unfortunately, just like a movie, great CG images don't make a movie sparkle! I think JJP is building beautiful pinball machines that lack synergy. I wish I felt differently, because I'd love to own one. When they build a machine that's exhilarating, I'll bite.

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

So the only thing LOTR would have is a ruleset, otherwise it would just fade into the other 35+ games with the exact same layout.

Not so fast Awesome dots, audio, & theme integration. Second to none...especially with the ColorDMD mod.

Perfect example of using old technology better than new technology. Sure, The Hobbit images are crisp/beautiful, but they don't tell the story the way LOTR does. Sure, The Hobbit audio platform rocks when compared with LOTR, however the audio content just seems better integrated into the game (which makes it more fun & rewarding). From my perspective, LOTR is a far superior game done by a cohesive team that nailed it from day 1. I'd like nothing more than to like The Hobbit better...I've owned LOTR for 12 years and would love to replace it with something better.

Yes, the layout is mundane, but just like AFM, LOTR is the total package.

#127 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Let the code finish first...WOZ was weak when it first hit too. Now it's spectacular. Let it get worked out first and then judge.

Joe Balcer, the dude that designed both WOZ and Hobbit no longer works for JJP. Dennis Nordman didn't work out.

Lead designers are responsible for pulling all the elements together. Some do it better than others, but turnover in a small company isn't good. I'm sure Keith's rules will help, but TH didn't converge and the fact that JB left almost 1 year ago isn't goodness.

I had a great game on TH and wasn't "feeling it". Building great products and great teams goes hand-in-glove. If JJP pins were being judged solely on their BOM (Bill-Of-Materials), they'd win hands down. Unfortunately, there's this element called inspiration that seems to be missing. LOTR was done by an inspired team. Even if it's not your cup-of-tea in terms of play, it's impossible to ignore the attention to detail on theme integration.

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But you forgot to mention that Pat Lawlor came on board and helped with the finished redesign of hobbit which Joe miffed originally.

You are missing the point. Coming in to "fill in" and help out is different that a true project lead that takes responsibility for the entire, finished product. Like the Director/Producer of a film....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 49.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.50
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-played-both-ghostbusters-and-hobbit?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.