Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jjpcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdblackandwhite_(resized).jpg
IMG_3061_(resized).JPG
pasted_image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 8 years ago

both have early code, and both are about the same level when it comes to code. Therefore it's NOT to early to judge both, since they are about in the same area.

That being said, I have wayyy more games in on hobbit than I do on GB. But the layout on Hobbit just isn't doing it. I think it would have benefited from NOT being a widebody. True it has more features than it looks like, but it's a flawed design in many aspects. The rollover lock buttons are in a horrible location. Pop flaps divert the ball on slow rollers. None of the inserts have text to direct you. By looking at the playfield alone, you have no idea what is going on. That is not how that's suppose to work. Even with the game off, you should be able to study the playfield and have an idea what does what to some extent. JJP has really moved off that path, so he has the freedom to change the rules and software however he likes, but takes away from the easier aspects of understanding a games rules.

That being said, I had more fun playing the couple games on GB than I ever did on the 60+ games of hobbit I played over the past 2 years.

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

All I know is that without Keiths code work LOTR would suck and would not be the great game it is considered today. Once all of the modes are in TH, all of the custom callouts are in, and the modes themselves are polished I think TH will be an incredible pin.
All pins are just a fancy box of lights without code. Keith Johnson, Ted Estes, David Thiel and JP are putting a huge amount of effort into the code for TH. No one should be underestimating the quality of work those guys can pull off. The work those guys are putting into the game will bring the layout, toys and features alive in many unique and fun ways.

but LOTR also has the safe repetitive boring ass Fan pattern layout that is used, when someone doesn't want to have to think about a layout or risk something new. So the only thing LOTR would have is a ruleset, otherwise it would just fade into the other 35+ games with the exact same layout. The problem with Hobbit, isn't the rules, or the software for the most part, besides being overly confusing., it's the layout and design.

I'll give hobbit props for trying a unique layout. But sometimes it works. (IE: SOF, Shadow ect) and sometimes it bites you in the ass.. (IE: Gold wings, BW100, ect). Hobbit kinda works, but in some ways, doesn't.

#116 8 years ago

that's the thing. I think only advanced players that own it, will have a chance to enjoy it. On location, you really have so much that is so difficult to figure out, the casual player is going to dismiss it. It is not straightforward in the slightest on telling you what you need to do, or even what's going on.

the layout is ok, but has a lot of wide open nothing. The flaps on the pop-a-orcs and the L-O-C-K roll over buttons divert the balls, much like cupped inserts do on old EM's and early SS games. A slow roll will stop right in the middle of the playfield and go right down the middle, when a ball normally wouldn't without the design flaws. He really should have went with proxy sensors for the lock buttons. It would eliminate that issue. The pop-a-orc flaps are annoying, but don't screw you over as bad, due to their locations when they divert the ball.

#122 8 years ago

code finishing isn't going to change the layout or design.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

"It is not straightforward in the slightest on telling you what you need to do, or even what's going on."
So when there are moving targets and trolls that pop up, you don't know what to do? Let's not exaggerate here...

yea, but do you have any clue why it popped up? do you know what it is advancing in the software when you do hit it?

everyone knows what to do with stuff in a machine when it comes to hitting it with the ball. Understanding how it effects the software and scoring is where knowledge comes into play.

#131 8 years ago

i've played the new code. It's not like I didn't just play it again. I've played it pretty much at every stage of it's life. Just because they are not used randomly, doesn't mean anyone understands any better WHY it's popping up. Mode? Hurry up? monster advanement? Planet alignment? Midnight madness? Games doesn't want you to be able to shoot there? The fact still remains...nobody seems to be able to figure it out. Well only the 10 of us standing around trying to figure it out. When you have no seasoned pinball players able to figure out what's happening and why it's happening, something is wrong.

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

This is what will make the game great in a home collection.
If you and 9 other guys can figure out everything you're supposed to do in your first couple of games, something is wrong.
This game is designed to grow as you get better. It would absolutely suck in my opinion if it was so simple that it could be figured out quickly.
It will have more lasting power if it isn't a simple game.
Things will make sense in time. To expect to understand it right away would make it a shitty game.

It's true it's good to have depth and things to discover in a home collection. But when the only thing people can figure out is how to lock a ball, it becomes unfun and frustrating. A lot of the problem is the fact the playfield has little to no information on what to do. And just because you can't figure it out, doesn't make it good for being at home. If you have every played Mystery castle or Operation thunder. Sometimes shit happens and big points are scored and you have no idea why. It's confusing in many aspects. Disorganized confusion is not fun. LOTR is complex and deep, but gives you easier upfront things that most people can figure out. Which keeps you playing and interested enough to play more to figure out more and more. With hobbit, you go to instant complexity, where you don't have that initial interest to keep you playing. Locking balls and starting that one multiball gets old real quick.

#151 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I don't think he actually wants an explanation. If he did maybe he could have read the screen during one of his 60 games on Hobbit. He is having a better time saying over and over that it is too complex. Expect this drum beat to continue.

if it was just me, sure you could chalk it up to that. But when you have 10 other experienced tournament players also completely bewildered on WTF is going on, there is some sort of problem.

#153 8 years ago

just stating that the rules are a big clusterfuck that is not easily understood after 10 or 20 games. any Stern, DE, B/W, Capcom, and most gottliebs, you know a majority of the objectives or have at least a upfront knowledge on what to do. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

After 60 games the term is "Willful Ignorance". Plain and simple. After that long, not understanding how to start modes, and never being able to decipher anything on either screen, even while the game is holding the ball giving you time to read the instructions is intentional.
Of course, there are less likely explanations. For instance, maybe you can't read. However, I'm fairly certain you can. You could also be a complete moron, but again judging from your posts, you're not. An axe to grind? Possibly. It does seem that you are posting that every chance you get. It seemed a lot more honest when you just said you didn't like the game. Now it is more just a reflection on your abilities.

keep in mind during those 60 games was over a period of 2 years. So everytime you get to play it, things are different than they were the time before. It's not like we played 60 games just last weekend. Which made it even more confusing. Just when you think you have a grasp on some little aspect. It's not like that anymore when you play it 4 months later. And I don't have a grudge against the game. I've stated many times that I really really wanted to like the game. I love the subject matter, and love LOTR. Would have been great to have a partner game to add to my LOTR. I was looking forward to it.

Same with WOZ. have you seen the physical manual for playing the game? It's like a god damn sears catalog. how are you suppose to fully understand a game playing at tournaments or route, with rules like that? Back in the day, the reason it was so fun playing games on route, was figuring out things, but the game had enough on the playfield for you know, if there was more the figure out. Like Addams. Once we learned how to have a game last longer than 25 seconds,(no ball save was brutal back in the early 90's) we started figuring out, there were things called modes, that were timed. We could see on the playfield, the door panels light up. But there was always that elusive ? door panel. But it never gave us that one. But it was staring us in the face. Next year, TZ came out, with the same thing. That ? door panel is what drove us to keep playing and trying to figure out what it does. It was right there. Wasn't hidden on page 475 section 2, of a book, that blows your ball bag out to lift it. Right there, on the playfield. That's the simple shit you need for a game on route. that's the simple shit you need, for newer people in pinball. If you want to attract and draw in a new fan base to the pinball world. It's not more blinky lights, or a pretty screen with animations. It's a game people can walk up to and understand enough of the objectives and goals, to keep them playing again and again. That's the point i was trying to make.

#160 8 years ago

have you seen the actual printed manual? holy shit is it big and heavy. Now out of that, I don't know how much is schematics and tech stuff and how much is rules. I didn't thumb through it for a long period of time. If it's mostly tech stuff, that's good, as you need more details in the tech department in manuals.

#162 8 years ago

well then, while I got you here. Explain the hex's to me in hobbit. Do I get something if I make straight line? Or a smiley face in them? Is there any benefit to getting lines or sections? Is it just random?

#165 8 years ago

as long as there are enough, easy to understand objectives that are fun. It will keep people coming back to learn the in depth stuff.

3 weeks later
#198 7 years ago

If you go by premium pricing. Even if you get the other crap that you don't need, like the color DMD ($400), shitty invisaglass ($150-300)and different colored powdercoated armor ($320 for a 9 piece set from Virtuapin.net) any color you want, your still not even close to the price of hobbit. Even if you pay on the higher side of premium like $6700-6800.

#201 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

As I said above though for $500 more I could get a Hobbit LE with an actual high quality powder coat, HD display, and 100% color changing inserts. I think both games are great in their own way and wish I could get both. I can only afford 1 NIB game at the moment so that's why I keep flip flopping back and forth so much between the two.

The LE is overblown price with an imaginary perceived value because of the "limited" edition status. Which in reality. There are plenty of games where the premiums are less run that the LE's that were run.

the powdercoat is the same on both. The black is also high quality, you are just getting a different color. Really nothing different. 100% color changing inserts is useless and confusing. WOZ is all color changing and it's a shit mess to sort out. Yes it's nice having some shots with controlled color changing, so you can double up jackpots and modes, but that's about it. And display. Meh. I don't get a hard on for color displays. I can't even glance at the DMD when i'm playing. Only time I even get to see animations, is when i'm watching someone else play. Until a year ago, I didn't even know there were clowns in Tommy's multiball. I"ve had the game for like 8 years.

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

"the powdercoat is the same on both" and "color changing inserts is useless and confusing"? WOW. The "powder coat" on Stern games is inferior to the high quality powder coat process that JJP uses. The slightly higher quality aftermarket armor Stern sells for their games should be included on at least their LE's. It's a slap in the face to LE owners for Stern to call a game an LE yet then offer laser etches side armor for the game for another $250...
Also, WOZ looks awesome with it's color changing inserts and would look far less impressive if it was just white LED's. "so you can double up jackpots and modes, but that's about it". I don't understand that comment...Keith does a lot more with color changing inserts in WOZ then just that. Color changing inserts can also change the entire mood of a game based on the mode playing and that alone makes the feature worthwhile.
Sure an 8 Track player can play music but I sure as hell wouldn't pay what a high quality DAC costs for one. Sames goes for a black and white console TV versus a new HD LCD. JJP's display blows the DMD out of the water, DMD's are just old at this point. At the end of the day these crazy NIB prices need to be backed up by tech, hardware, code, etc and overall I just think JJP does that better then Stern.

powdercoat is powdercoat. It's the same process in both. You can have rough or smooth types. Anyone that does powdercoating can vouch for this. It's not rocket science. You are not getting some big "Special' powdercoat on JJP games. If Stern used the same color they could do the exact same look and feel. Wouldn't cost them a penny more than the black.

as for your picture examples. Out of those 3. Sorry, but i'd be watching the beatles on the ed sullivan show compared to your other examples.

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

seriously, who is taking pleasure with playing GB? this table is a draining machine. the gap between flipper is 1cm larger than on my GoT, and i don't speak about outlanes where many balls are draining too (no enter post, metal guide are not enough tall), each missed shot is a drain with this pin.
certainly good rules but who can play enough time to know but excellent players?

you don't want every game out there, to have long ball times like LOTR, TSPP, SM. They are good for at home, but if your playing with friends or hosting league, those games are usually taken out to cut down on time. Who wants to be playing LOTR with 3 friends and have a hour and half game for one game? LOTR is always passed by with anything group involved. Games Like, IM, I500, GB are great for groups and leagues. Fast ball times, challenging and brutal. When you have a nut kicking game like that. It just feels that much better when you have a good game happen for once. You actually feel like you accomplished something.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-played-both-ghostbusters-and-hobbit?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.