Topic Stats

• 225 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jjpcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdblackandwhite_(resized).jpg
IMG_3061_(resized).JPG
pasted_image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

As I said above though for $500 more I could get a Hobbit LE with an actual high quality powder coat, HD display, and 100% color changing inserts. I think both games are great in their own way and wish I could get both. I can only afford 1 NIB game at the moment so that's why I keep flip flopping back and forth so much between the two.

The LE is overblown price with an imaginary perceived value because of the "limited" edition status. Which in reality. There are plenty of games where the premiums are less run that the LE's that were run.

the powdercoat is the same on both. The black is also high quality, you are just getting a different color. Really nothing different. 100% color changing inserts is useless and confusing. WOZ is all color changing and it's a shit mess to sort out. Yes it's nice having some shots with controlled color changing, so you can double up jackpots and modes, but that's about it. And display. Meh. I don't get a hard on for color displays. I can't even glance at the DMD when i'm playing. Only time I even get to see animations, is when i'm watching someone else play. Until a year ago, I didn't even know there were clowns in Tommy's multiball. I"ve had the game for like 8 years.

#202 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The LE is overblown price with an imaginary perceived value because of the "limited" edition status. Which in reality. There are plenty of games where the premiums are less run that the LE's that were run.
the powdercoat is the same on both. The black is also high quality, you are just getting a different color. Really nothing different. 100% color changing inserts is useless and confusing. WOZ is all color changing and it's a shit mess to sort out. Yes it's nice having some shots with controlled color changing, so you can double up jackpots and modes, but that's about it. And display. Meh. I don't get a hard on for color displays. I can't even glance at the DMD when i'm playing. Only time I even get to see animations, is when i'm watching someone else play. Until a year ago, I didn't even know there were clowns in Tommy's multiball. I"ve had the game for like 8 years.

"the powdercoat is the same on both" and "color changing inserts is useless and confusing"? WOW. The "powder coat" on Stern games is inferior to the high quality powder coat process that JJP uses. The slightly higher quality aftermarket armor Stern sells for their games should be included on at least their LE's. It's a slap in the face to LE owners for Stern to call a game an LE yet then offer laser etches side armor for the game for another $250...

Also, WOZ looks awesome with it's color changing inserts and would look far less impressive if it was just white LED's. "so you can double up jackpots and modes, but that's about it". I don't understand that comment...Keith does a lot more with color changing inserts in WOZ then just that. Color changing inserts can also change the entire mood of a game based on the mode playing and that alone makes the feature worthwhile.

Sure an 8 Track player can play music but I sure as hell wouldn't pay what a high quality DAC costs for one. Sames goes for a black and white console TV versus a new HD LCD. JJP's display blows the DMD out of the water, DMD's are just old at this point. At the end of the day these crazy NIB prices need to be backed up by tech, hardware, code, etc and overall I just think JJP does that better then Stern.

dmdblackandwhite_(resized).jpg
dmdcolor_(resized).jpg
jjpcolor_(resized).jpg

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sames goes for a black and white console TV versus a new HD LCD. JJP's display blows the DMD out of the water, DMD's are just old at this point. At the end of the day these crazy NIB prices need to be backed up by tech, hardware, code, etc and overall I just think JJP does that better then Stern.

Yes but I would rather watch All in the Family on a black and white TV than Keepin up with the Kardashians on a HDTV so as always content is key, ofcourse your right that by now Stern should at the very least be using color DMD tech let alone full screen LCD, I'll still pay for a GB Pre over TH anyday.

#204 3 years ago

We are very fortunate to have both at Cactus Jack's. THe Hobbit calls to you across the arcade because it's so darn beautiful, but unfortunately about 2-3 minutes in to the game I find myself daydreaming about playing GB. I guess I'm sort of an adrenalin junkie when it comes to pins.

That said, the hammered armor on TH is amazing and is by far my favorite aspect of the machine. Does anyone know if there is any version of this armor that would look good on AC/DC? I hate that slippery red powdercoat.

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I can see myself owning TH some time down the road.
I was on the fence w/ TH when Stern announced GB. My money went to the BGLE instead. I was concerned that if I had placed an order for TH, It would be at least a year before I received it. That's the main reason I went w/ GB.
Still love my WOZECLE. The machine is built like a tank. Hopefully, down the road, I can own TH.

Big Guns LE?

#206 3 years ago

Just watched 1.10 code videos, and man, TH is looking awesome! I really need to get one.

#207 3 years ago

Played both many times. Couldn't wait to get another game on GB. Also missed it immensely when I left. TH gameplay did not excite me. A very slow methodical game. Have no idea what the right flipper is actually for. Needed a ramp for it to shoot at.

While TH is a great game for the non player to watch... It leaves the player completely unfulfilled. I actually the joyed TBL more than TH but GB beat them all badly.

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

"the powdercoat is the same on both" and "color changing inserts is useless and confusing"? WOW. The "powder coat" on Stern games is inferior to the high quality powder coat process that JJP uses. The slightly higher quality aftermarket armor Stern sells for their games should be included on at least their LE's. It's a slap in the face to LE owners for Stern to call a game an LE yet then offer laser etches side armor for the game for another $250...
Also, WOZ looks awesome with it's color changing inserts and would look far less impressive if it was just white LED's. "so you can double up jackpots and modes, but that's about it". I don't understand that comment...Keith does a lot more with color changing inserts in WOZ then just that. Color changing inserts can also change the entire mood of a game based on the mode playing and that alone makes the feature worthwhile.
Sure an 8 Track player can play music but I sure as hell wouldn't pay what a high quality DAC costs for one. Sames goes for a black and white console TV versus a new HD LCD. JJP's display blows the DMD out of the water, DMD's are just old at this point. At the end of the day these crazy NIB prices need to be backed up by tech, hardware, code, etc and overall I just think JJP does that better then Stern.

powdercoat is powdercoat. It's the same process in both. You can have rough or smooth types. Anyone that does powdercoating can vouch for this. It's not rocket science. You are not getting some big "Special' powdercoat on JJP games. If Stern used the same color they could do the exact same look and feel. Wouldn't cost them a penny more than the black.

as for your picture examples. Out of those 3. Sorry, but i'd be watching the beatles on the ed sullivan show compared to your other examples.

#209 3 years ago

seriously, who is taking pleasure with playing GB? this table is a draining machine. the gap between flipper is 1cm larger than on my GoT, and i don't speak about outlanes where many balls are draining too (no enter post, metal guide are not enough tall), each missed shot is a drain with this pin.

certainly good rules but who can play enough time to know but excellent players?

#210 3 years ago

I played both and enjoyed each of them. I ordered the Hobbit because I love the theme and I know how much Keith improved the gameplay on WOZ. GB is great game to play too. Very fast like most sterns. I"m not sure I would put this in with LOTR, MET, SM, or ACDC but it definitely is worthy of being a part of my collection. Bottom line, if you can afford both do it! I'm already in on TH but I'll probably go after a MET or ACDC before GB. Oh, I would rather have the LE on the GB but the pro isn't a huge drop off. For me GB is the best game stern has put out in years. I like it better than tron and IM.

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

powdercoat is powdercoat. It's the same process in both. You can have rough or smooth types. Anyone that does powdercoating can vouch for this. It's not rocket science. You are not getting some big "Special' powdercoat on JJP games. If Stern used the same color they could do the exact same look and feel. Wouldn't cost them a penny more than the black.
as for your picture examples. Out of those 3. Sorry, but i'd be watching the beatles on the ed sullivan show compared to your other examples.

So with that mindset I guess all cars are painted the same way as well. A paint job from Maaco is the same as through a high end car paint shop. "Uh-oh, better get Maaco". No way!

Sterns powder coating process is inferior, sorry but it is and it shows when you have owned games from both companies. I can't find the thread but I remember reading a post where Pinchroma detailed the JJP powder coating process and how many more steps are involved in the powder coating process compared to Sterns.

Again, it shows when you have owned powder coated games from both companies. Sterns factory powder coat chips easier, lacks detail and overall doesn't look nearly as impressive as the powder coat you find on WOZ or TH.

Some companies are going to do a better job at things then others, that's normal. I'm sure there are things Stern does better then JJP but powder coating isn't one of them.

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

seriously, who is taking pleasure with playing GB? this table is a draining machine. the gap between flipper is 1cm larger than on my GoT, and i don't speak about outlanes where many balls are draining too (no enter post, metal guide are not enough tall), each missed shot is a drain with this pin.
certainly good rules but who can play enough time to know but excellent players?

you don't want every game out there, to have long ball times like LOTR, TSPP, SM. They are good for at home, but if your playing with friends or hosting league, those games are usually taken out to cut down on time. Who wants to be playing LOTR with 3 friends and have a hour and half game for one game? LOTR is always passed by with anything group involved. Games Like, IM, I500, GB are great for groups and leagues. Fast ball times, challenging and brutal. When you have a nut kicking game like that. It just feels that much better when you have a good game happen for once. You actually feel like you accomplished something.

#213 3 years ago

First im not a great player but i average 100million per game on GB. Played 2 games earlier today and was almost 20 minutes with a 210million and 90million. Are you playing a location game? If the angle is over 6.5 and slings over 32 the operator is making bank. I have very little outlane drains and ball has only jumped rails few times in over a week. Also the left scoop kickout can be powered down some to make it alittle easier to catch but i got the timing down now so i havent changed settings. My 5 yr old has hit 90million and wifes best is 211million

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

First im not a great player but i average 100million per game on GB. Played 2 games earlier today and was almost 20 minutes with a 210million and 90million. Are you playing a location game? If the angle is over 6.5 and slings over 32 the operator is making bank. I have very little outlane drains and ball has only jumped rails few times in over a week. Also the left scoop kickout can be powered down some to make it alittle easier to catch but i got the timing down now so i havent changed settings. My 5 yr old has hit 90million and wifes best is 211million

i have the game at home since yesterday on location one month. i set up the angle table at 6.5°, less speed but less balls jump over the metal outlanes guides.
my high score is 490m for the moment but i don't take any pleasure, still fighting to keep the ball in play.

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

If the angle is over 6.5 ... the operator is making bank.

Pins usually get easier if you set the angle higher. It reduces horizontal ball movement which is the main cause for drains. In general the ball gets more predictable with increased angle.

#216 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

We are very fortunate to have both at Cactus Jack's. THe Hobbit calls to you across the arcade because it's so darn beautiful, but unfortunately about 2-3 minutes in to the game I find myself daydreaming about playing GB. I guess I'm sort of an adrenalin junkie when it comes to pins.
That said, the hammered armor on TH is amazing and is by far my favorite aspect of the machine.

Yes, we are really lucky to have CJ's around here. Dan always has the good games on route and his pins just blow me away every time I go in there. I agree with everything you've said here. The first game I usually end up playing is TH because the looks is so awesome then I generally end up cussing and drinking PBR's non-stop playing GB as it royally kicks my ass. I will say that GB just gives me the rush I'm looking for.

The armor on The Hobbit is pretty amazing though, I'm thinking the one at CJ's is #28 LE. It's more of a two tone type of powder coat with black speckles... it really looks amazing and I couldn't image this being some run-of-the-mill process. It has a really nice quality look and it sure as hell looks a lot better than what I see on most pins.

In the end I'm still drawn to GB there is just something about pins that whoop my ass... I'm destined to have a good game at some point and it just makes it all the more worth while.

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You are incorrect. Who applies paint or powder and the materials used matter greatly.

I guess when you apply your clearcoat and someone else applies their clearcoat, its exactly the same? Sorry but I don't think you actually understand it. I've had 4 motorcycle frames done by 3 different shops. Same color, FAR different quality and the price dictated it.

#218 3 years ago

I played them both in a tournament setting last weekend.
GB drained like crazy over the metal rails,almost impossible to get a good game going on it.
Nitro had another GB by there both and it played much better,but you still had the rail side drains,no way a ball should hop over two rails and drain,all the time. Even had the ball going down the return lane and hop over.
They need to be raised up at least 1/4 inch or so.

The Hobbit(I have one coming)at first was hard to get a flow going,I had no idea what I was doing or shooting.
I couldn't hear the game at all,that didn't help either.
When I did get multi ball going it was very fun,pop ups were going crazy.
I can't wait for mine,GB no thanks.

The Big Lebowski was there as well,in the Nitro area.
After playing GB,it seemed really slow.
The game played fine,modes were good.
For me not a 10,000.00 US game,the exchange kills it.

#219 3 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Pins usually get easier if you set the angle higher. It reduces horizontal ball movement which is the main cause for drains. In general the ball gets more predictable with increased angle.

Not ghostbusters. Id rather have a slower ball that doesnt jump outlanes then fast ball that jumps the outlanes. Seriously all the issues i keep reading about with ball jumping lanes and center drains im not seeing at 6.5

#220 3 years ago

Just finished playing both (again) about an hour ago. Honestly, both games are so different that I cannot say one is better then the other. Some people will like The Hobbit more, others GB but I think a majority of people will like both.

Overall I was very impressed with not only how The Hobbit looked (incredible LCD and animation work) but also played. When I play The Hobbit I get the same feeling I do when I play my WOZ at home and that is "this is a high end pinball machine". The game I played is running the latest code, version 1.10, and just like with the last code update the game is more fun with each update. Yes the playfield is open but in an instant it can be packed with the 4 pop ups going up and down. The pop up targets do not just meaninglessly go up and down both continue to get integrated with modes in interesting ways.

Keith is bringing the layout and mech / features in The Hobbit alive in unique ways that will give the game a lot of staying power. Also, out of the 6 games I played on The Hobbit I never had one issue. The Hobbit really made me feel like I was on a quest while playing the game. I think I'll be buying a Hobbit sooner rather then later.

As for Ghostbusters (pro) the game played great except for some frustrating ball drains. I did see a ball jump over one of the wire lane guides, that is extremely frustrating as there's simply no reason for it to occur. The code itself seems fairly complete at this point and the modes are fun to play. However, I do think the way modes are played (rather linear) hurts the game as you are always starting one of the same modes. I can see why Dwight makes you play the modes in a linear fashion though as you are essentially playing through the games story from start to finish.

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Not ghostbusters. Id rather have a slower ball that doesnt jump outlanes then fast ball that jumps the outlanes. Seriously all the issues i keep reading about with ball jumping lanes and center drains im not seeing at 6.5

You Will still get some ball jumping lanes with a 6.5° angle.
I finished this morning a 1.1MM game with a fu... ball jumping lanes

#222 3 years ago

You Will still get some ball jumping lanes with a 6.5° angle.
I finished this morning a 1.1MM game with a fu... ball jumping lanes

Did you look under the pf to see if the rails can be hammered up?

3 months later
#223 3 years ago

Played the Hobbit LE yesterday for the first time
That was a great experience. Maybe the best looking machine ever made. This large LCD screen is so amazing that i can't imagine the next pins, whatever the manufacturer, without it. It needs to be standard.
The game is faster that i thought first. The flow is great, i love the 4 beasts that well fill the space of the playfield and well used. I just regret that i can't choose the lane with the flippers to light the ones i miss. Maybe in the next code?
Skillshot is a bit tough for me, 4 ways to go with upper drops, rollovers, bottom drops and the 4 inlanes.
Rules are so deep, more than 30 modes that is impossible to see them in 2hours of play. I understand why ball times are very very long, and by the way this game is not for players that like short ball time. However, i advise to open wide the outlanes.
The lock multiball is great and intense to play and killing smaug is tough. You need to use this third flipper to do it.
I have also played one of the mini or wizard mode Into the Fire, great to play too, several steps to make.
That was my first experience, scored 1,5M and happy with that.
My only complains is the third flipper that is not very used and has no shot that can't be done with the bottom flipper and also the lack of toys. Is there any video mode? However, i would like so much to play it again.

GB is the opposite, very short ball time, rules are easier to understand but less deep.
Play fast and great flow. The game is hard because many shots are tough and the flipper gap is wider than standard.
Skillshot is too much complicated, too much combinations for my tastes.
However, If you succeed to go far in The game it will reward you. MB are fantastic to play and very intense. My best score is 3,5MM.
The only thing i don't like is the reinforcement video mode, i hate it, waste of time in my opinion, not fun to play and breaks the rythm of The game. I must add bonus must be also better balanced.

So in my opinion, both are fun to play and gets a great lastability but not for the same reason, one is really deep and the other is tough. So they get both the "play again and again" factor. These games are just not for the same kind of player imo.

#224 3 years ago

Two completely different games. Ghostbusters looks great, plays fast hard as hell. The Hobbit with those RadCal's are amazing looking... The hobbit is so deep its hard to digest after a few plays.. But its the most beautiful game EVER made..

But as always, you have to play them both because its all JUST opinion..

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

The hobbit is so deep its hard to digest after a few plays.. But its the most beautiful game EVER made..

Its quite breath taking but I still give STLE the top spot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 12.99
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Prairie, WI
$ 11.95
There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside