Topic Stats

• 225 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jjpcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdblackandwhite_(resized).jpg
IMG_3061_(resized).JPG
pasted_image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I don't think he actually wants an explanation. If he did maybe he could have read the screen during one of his 60 games on Hobbit. He is having a better time saying over and over that it is too complex. Expect this drum beat to continue.

if it was just me, sure you could chalk it up to that. But when you have 10 other experienced tournament players also completely bewildered on WTF is going on, there is some sort of problem.

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if it was just me, sure you could chalk it up to that. But when you have 10 other experienced tournament players also completely bewildered on WTF is going on, there is some sort of problem.

If I understand correctly, The Hobbit failed the "10 Experienced Tournament Player Bewilderment Test."

This is such a ridiculous determination of a problem.

#153 3 years ago

just stating that the rules are a big clusterfuck that is not easily understood after 10 or 20 games. any Stern, DE, B/W, Capcom, and most gottliebs, you know a majority of the objectives or have at least a upfront knowledge on what to do. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

just stating that the rules are a big clusterfuck that is not easily understood after 10 or 20 games. any Stern, DE, B/W, Capcom, and most gottliebs, you know a majority of the objectives or have at least a upfront knowledge on what to do. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

After 60 games the term is "Willful Ignorance". Plain and simple. After that long, not understanding how to start modes, and never being able to decipher anything on either screen, even while the game is holding the ball giving you time to read the instructions is intentional.

Of course, there are less likely explanations. For instance, maybe you can't read. However, I'm fairly certain you can. You could also be a complete moron, but again judging from your posts, you're not. An axe to grind? Possibly. It does seem that you are posting that every chance you get. It seemed a lot more honest when you just said you didn't like the game. Now it is more just a reflection on your abilities.

#155 3 years ago

OK - everyone: before we reach the "Broken Record" or "Be Nice" moderation stage, can we move on and get feedback from other players?

It won't be from me - have played neither!

#156 3 years ago

We played both GB and Hobbit at MGC.; found both to be fun, and would consider buying either or both. That being said, given the relatively long lines, we spent most of our time playing other games and had no regrets.

#157 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

While I agree that hobbit need polish in the what to do dept as a whole. It only took me 10 games to understand how to start 2 multiballs, start a mode, choose a skill shot, select a mode, and use the Bilbo bagging book to guide me through modes. I can only imagine what I learn in the next 10 or so games of it.

Other games that I hated out of the box until I learned the rules were FGY, LOTR, TWD, WOZ (still don't understand but learning) and GOT. in fact, there was a recent podcast reviewing GOT and one of the guys (nick?) gave it a 6 rating simple because he didn't understand the game.

Rules are not only a big part of pinball, but a big part of longevity in a home collection. Keefer is the master of this home use ruleset. Stern are the masters of on location rule sets. It's no surprise people like sterns more than hobbit in a <10 plays early coded world.

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

After 60 games the term is "Willful Ignorance". Plain and simple. After that long, not understanding how to start modes, and never being able to decipher anything on either screen, even while the game is holding the ball giving you time to read the instructions is intentional.
Of course, there are less likely explanations. For instance, maybe you can't read. However, I'm fairly certain you can. You could also be a complete moron, but again judging from your posts, you're not. An axe to grind? Possibly. It does seem that you are posting that every chance you get. It seemed a lot more honest when you just said you didn't like the game. Now it is more just a reflection on your abilities.

keep in mind during those 60 games was over a period of 2 years. So everytime you get to play it, things are different than they were the time before. It's not like we played 60 games just last weekend. Which made it even more confusing. Just when you think you have a grasp on some little aspect. It's not like that anymore when you play it 4 months later. And I don't have a grudge against the game. I've stated many times that I really really wanted to like the game. I love the subject matter, and love LOTR. Would have been great to have a partner game to add to my LOTR. I was looking forward to it.

Same with WOZ. have you seen the physical manual for playing the game? It's like a god damn sears catalog. how are you suppose to fully understand a game playing at tournaments or route, with rules like that? Back in the day, the reason it was so fun playing games on route, was figuring out things, but the game had enough on the playfield for you know, if there was more the figure out. Like Addams. Once we learned how to have a game last longer than 25 seconds,(no ball save was brutal back in the early 90's) we started figuring out, there were things called modes, that were timed. We could see on the playfield, the door panels light up. But there was always that elusive ? door panel. But it never gave us that one. But it was staring us in the face. Next year, TZ came out, with the same thing. That ? door panel is what drove us to keep playing and trying to figure out what it does. It was right there. Wasn't hidden on page 475 section 2, of a book, that blows your ball bag out to lift it. Right there, on the playfield. That's the simple shit you need for a game on route. that's the simple shit you need, for newer people in pinball. If you want to attract and draw in a new fan base to the pinball world. It's not more blinky lights, or a pretty screen with animations. It's a game people can walk up to and understand enough of the objectives and goals, to keep them playing again and again. That's the point i was trying to make.

#159 3 years ago

Captn, your way over the top with your comments on Woz. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the game after a dozen or so plays. But it does take many dozen games to understand the subtilties, which is what a home owner wants in a game now a days. To your point that it's too confusing to the causal walk up player, on the contrary. The game attracts the casual player with its light show, the lcd screen, the sounds, etc. After throwing in a couple of bucks, the casual players are going to have a general understanding of how to go forward.
The physical manual has been widely praised for its thoroughness. The game play section is not a Sears manual...
You need to tone down your dislike of the game if your going to make the points you've been writing for some credibility.

#160 3 years ago

have you seen the actual printed manual? holy shit is it big and heavy. Now out of that, I don't know how much is schematics and tech stuff and how much is rules. I didn't thumb through it for a long period of time. If it's mostly tech stuff, that's good, as you need more details in the tech department in manuals.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Captn, your way over the top with your comments on Woz. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the game after a dozen or so plays. But it does take many dozen games to understand the subtilties, which is what a home owner wants in a game now a days. To your point that it's too confusing to the causal walk up player, on the contrary. The game attracts the casual player with its light show, the lcd screen, the sounds, etc. After throwing in a couple of bucks, the casual players are going to have a general understanding of how to go forward.
The physical manual has been widely praised for its thoroughness. The game play section is not a Sears manual...
You need to tone down your dislike of the game if your going to make the points you've been writing for some credibility.

Agree...here's how simple WOZ is at a high level:
1) Spell rainbow to light the ramp for twister. Spin the house x times to start munchkin mode. Repeat 4 times to finish all munchkin modes.
2) Keep hitting witch to raise and fight her. The 4th time she rises you play fireball frenzy.
3) Spell BALL to light crystal ball mode (all are multiballs that 2x the pf while running). Hit crystal ball ball shot to start lit mode. Repeat 5 times to finish all BALL modes.
4) Spell each character (Scarecrow, Lion, Tinman) via rollover button hits. Each spelled character lights a lock on the ramp. Lock 3 and Emerald City multiball starts.
5) Hit both winged monkey targets to light capture Dorothy on the loops. Hit a loop to capture Dorothy. Spell rescue, then bash door to open it. Get ball in saucer behind door and Rescue multiball starts.

6) Light mini-wizard mode "Melt the Witch" by starting a single munchkin mode, play fireball frenzy, play emeral city multiball, and play rescue multiball. Hit witch to start it.

That's the real basics...lots of other side goals and nuances to it though. I didn't even talk about Haunted modes, HOADC, TNPLH, Toto, yellow brick road advances, multiball rules, SOTR, pf multipliers, hurry-ups, skill shots, etc...which may lead to some confusion I suppose, but the basics are pretty easy and well defined by the LCD and pf.

Edit: just look at the rules flowchart: it's easy.

#162 3 years ago

well then, while I got you here. Explain the hex's to me in hobbit. Do I get something if I make straight line? Or a smiley face in them? Is there any benefit to getting lines or sections? Is it just random?

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

have you seen the actual printed manual? holy shit is it big and heavy. Now out of that, I don't know how much is schematics and tech stuff and how much is rules. I didn't thumb through it for a long period of time. If it's mostly tech stuff, that's good, as you need more details in the tech department in manuals.

Yes, I have the manual. It covers just about everything regarding woz. It is full of tech stuff, and yes, the manual is thick like a Sears catalog. (Smiley face)
Butch Peel did an outstanding job putting it together. Perhaps the most thorough pinball manual ever written.
WOZ...off topic here...sorry.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well then, while I got you here. Explain the hex's to me in hobbit. Do I get something if I make straight line? Or a smiley face in them? Is there any benefit to getting lines or sections? Is it just random?

Whatever Keith has in mind for the mode matrix is not implemented yet. However, he has stated that the game will have unprecedented strategy in how you go about selecting modes to play, should you choose to play it that way.

As someone else said, probably not a game you are going to understand everything it has to offer after 10 games of play. Hopefully, it has that hard to define "it factor" that makes players want to keep pressing the start button and discover its finer points.

#165 3 years ago

as long as there are enough, easy to understand objectives that are fun. It will keep people coming back to learn the in depth stuff.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Now out of that, I don't know how much is schematics and tech stuff and how much is rules. I didn't thumb through it for a long period of time.

10 pages are used for rules with accompanying shot maps.

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Don't know if there is anything to the arrangement (I suspect not), but WOZ code was lacking early on too...and it had those confusing flashing inserts that were toned down and lacked a lot of breadth. Is Hobbit complicated, yes. Hard to understand? Currently, somewhat. Starting modes is easy to understand as is Smaug multiball and the beast rules. That alone should keep people busy for a while. I'm confident that Keith's vision will come together nicely when the code matures.

Would you rather have a brutal simple game like IM or Tron where you see everything the game offers pretty much in the first couple of plays or would you rather have more depth like games such as TSPP, LOTR, SM, and WOZ where it takes months or years or more to see everything? Both are fun, I like both types of games to be honest. Some people prefer one of those types over the other. Variety is good.

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Your post is completely unsubstantiated about a rapid spike of sales in the secondary market.
There are very few listed right now, and prices are steady, all above $7k.

Here are FIVE WoZ (higher end models) listed in the LAST WEEK by quick search all over the country.
They are all USED machines:

http://goo.gl/fxX5t5 - Seattle
http://goo.gl/JbWbSH - New York
http://goo.gl/VPs6Lk - Atlanta
http://goo.gl/qGBpDL - Chicago
http://goo.gl/1QGPBD - Philadelphia

3X LE and 2X Ruby

This is not in consideration of dealers or brokers that have bought more for resale, or the list becomes larger.
This does not consider other sources of sales either like Ebay, WPC Forums, Mr. Pinball, etc.
Prices are what they are, that was never my quoted observation.
No one would want to sell them for some type of huge loss anyway.
Private owners are selling for whatever reason, my guess is they want a new shiny toy whether a GB pinball machine, car, motorcycle, or just outright pay their bills.
Ruby Red and Standard are available from most JJP distributors in small quantities.

I am not crapping on JJP, this is just the secondary market.
There has been more than an average turnover of this title in comparison to some titles in the past four months.

This is slowly becoming a standard pattern in the hobby where new collectors keep dumping new titles for another new title, or they cannot afford what they already bought. Higher than average from the past as well.
I had a discussion with a broker/distributor about this same topic today.

Maybe TH and GB will follow the same suit, maybe they will not.
Neither is in a position to be properly judged yet anyway.

#169 3 years ago

I'd just be really worried about the playfield on JJP machines given some of the horror stories and photos. Haven't played either but I watched a fair bit of both and the trolls would annoy me very quickly on TH. WOZ looks great but I was completely turned off seeing the pop bumper wear some people suffered. Also really don't like the LCD screen, it's too much to look at.

#170 3 years ago

The thing is, we should invest in jjp,because competition makes these competing pinball manufacturers step up to the plate.
I have a feeling stern wanted to get inside jacks head with GB, it is far beyond what stern machines used to be like... Its crazy?
So the problem is, if everybody buys stern again,they will soon have no competition again,and build crap again?
Then everybody will be complaining about that again?
I don't like the hobbit in the worst way, i was a woz buyer though.
I really think Jack has the biggest balls and deserves to sell.
But yeah, honestly, i ordered gble...

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Here are FIVE WoZ (higher end models) listed in the LAST WEEK by quick search all over the country.
They are all USED machines:

Do you really think five games for sale nationwide represents a "rapid spike in sales/brokering of secondary market WoZ?"

In fact, there are also FIVE Woz WTB ads right now.

Do a search on Lord of the Rings. There are also five listed for sale, not counting the one I just sold last week. I wouldn't call that a spike in sales either.

#172 3 years ago

Ive seen a bunch of Metallica's, Simpsons, Ironmans, and other greats for sale in the last 4 months too. Means nothing other than guys changing up collections, or needing money for something else. On the flip side, I don't see a ton of WWE pins pop up on pinside market. Does that mean it's such a great game that people aren't selling? Doubt it. Woz and hobbit are pricey. No doubt. They are built like tanks. Definitely. They are also the most beautiful, state of the art Cadillac's of pinball currently. That comes with a price. Some people like Cadillac's, others don't. Each to their own. It's ridiculous to argue that one company is better than the other when both companies are completely different in style and play. It's a benefit for us, and if we want to keep pushing innovative pinballs, then we need to support jjp and other new companies along with stern as well. Buy the ones you personally like, and be happy for guys that like the others. Don't try to bash a company just because you don't care for a particular game or owner.

#173 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I'd just be really worried about the playfield on JJP machines given some of the horror stories and photos.

FWIW: After 1,000 plays with an average scores > 300,000 (so ~15 minute games), I'm thrilled with how my WOZ playfield has held up.
To pre-empt the "but that's home use" indictment, sometimes I question the notion that home use might somehow be better on a machine than route use. My games get way more action in my basement than most games in bars and restaurants I've ever seen.. though I do maintain them pretty diligently.

IMG_3061_(resized).JPG

I digress to say I don't think the playfield horror stories are indicative of everyone's experience.

Quoted from konghusker:

Ive seen a bunch of Metallica's, Simpsons, Ironmans, and other greats for sale in the last 4 months too. Means nothing other than guys changing up collections, or needing money for something else..

Yep. I'm glad people aren't hoarding awesome titles and I think great new titles from Stern and JJP are great for breaking loose some of those games people thought they'd keep forever. It is nice to cycle out for fresh stuff, with awesome new titles inbound, there are great pins for sale of all era. I don't see folks selling a pin as an indictment on that pin's fun-ness. Some of us can only smack the silver ball against the same set of targets so many times before we are ready for something else.

On the magnaslings, I don't think it is unreasonable to at least mention and discuss the potential for wear, until Stern shows us the neat contraption they built to test the wear for the magnaslings. High powered magnets pulling on hard metal into soft wood, I mean it seems like a reasonable concern, to me. Maybe just throwing some mylar will fix it, hopefully Stern already has something in place when those ship or even better, hopefully nothing will be necessary at all. I think reasonable people can recognize at least that the wear on them is an unknown for the time being - and leave it at that.

Slings have always been high-wear areas, anyway: Nearly every Williams IJ on the planet has a black smudge near the slings. Keep it waxed or use a Makrolon pf protector if you are really worried.

I am glad Stern tried something new and I look forward to owning a GB Premium or LE to try them out in full magnetoApocalyptic glory.

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

FWIW: After 1,000 plays with an average scores > 300,000 (so ~15 minute games), I'm thrilled with how my WOZ playfield has held up.
To pre-empt the "but that's home use" indictment, sometimes I question the notion that home use might somehow be better on a machine than route use. My games get way more action in my basement than most games in bars and restaurants I've ever seen.. though I do maintain them pretty diligently.

I agree with 'home use' - comes down to plays on a machine no more and no less. The wear I'm talking about affected at least some examples of WOZ, coming off in big chunks near the pop bumpers and chipping off at saucers/holes. Looked like the kind of wear you'd expect on an early 80s Flash Gordon at the pops so there was definitely some kind of problem. I don't know how common it is/was or if it's early or late ones that suffered. I'd like to know though, I did start idly considering getting a WOZ, it looks fun and it's very pretty.

#175 3 years ago

The pf problem on woz was in early production on the ecle models. They changed manufacturers and fixed it. There are a few threads out there with the dates to look out for, and the manufacturer stamp on pf. Anything from last year or newer should be good. Plus, my RR has mylar in all the trouble areas the factory installed. A valid concern, and I'm sure jjp pins won't be using the original crummy manufacturer anymore.

#176 3 years ago

Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread with WoZ Stuff. I just got word from a local operator that has a GB Pro on the way for the Pensacola Area, hoping to be there to break it in properly until I can get my own Premium on order.

To the thread topic, based on a bunch of factors, her logic was that GB was a better choice for the business than Hobbit. Lower cost of entry, a home-run theme, Trudea-gap quarter stealing flippers are all the operator's friend. For the collector, they are just totally different beasts; an Apples and Oranges comparison. Some folks like Apples and some folks like Oranges.

#177 3 years ago

Played both, GB by a mile. The only ones saying th are 8k short in the bank...

#178 3 years ago

Are you guys nuts? Debating which pin is better?
It's personal preference.
Personally, I'm a Stern fan over JJP 7 days a week -but that's not the case for everyone else.
I have played both, and I expect WoZ owners will prefer Hobbit, and Stern owners will prefer GB.
No biggie either way.

Only thing I have to add is that I am dying to see Stern pins with a colour LCD.
Best of both worlds on my opinion.

To each their own. Enjoy!

#179 3 years ago

A little late to chime in but I played TH and GB at MGC, there were lines of course so I think I was able to play each maybe 3-4 times. I liked them both and wouldn't rule out either but I'm waiting 3 months and counting for my SMVE.

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Played both, GB by a mile. The only ones saying th are 8k short in the bank...

Not sure if you're trolling, but someone could say the same about GB. Nobody is locked into an order at this point, meaning they can still switch and buy whatever they think looks best.

#181 3 years ago

I've played both, etserday at the Belgian Pinball Championship.

Hobbit: Best looking pinball ever, best sound, open playfield. Confusing rules, noisy droptargets.
GB: Colorfull funny game, fun rules en intresting lay-out. bleh artwork, stupid inlane-outlane set-up. lineair rulesheet.

With a metallica, ACDC, GOT and TWD in my collection, I am not intrested in Hobbit or GB...they are not as good as my current sterns...!

#182 3 years ago

"Bleh artwork" on GB? Well we all have different tastes! I think it's the best art I've seen on a pin in years. Do those trolls on TH get annoying?

#183 3 years ago

I personally think most people just don't fully understand TH rules. After watching the videos and better learning the rules, I think th looks amazing. The pop ups make more sense now. It's a shooters game built all around timing. It's progressing a story at the same time. It's obviously a beautiful game. The playfield is more open, but that is actually nice for a change IMO. The videos I've seen are mostly fast playing. Not blazing fast, but fast. I already have a couple really fast sterns. It has really grown on me, and I am leaning heavily towards buying TH. I just think it would hold my interest longer. I'm still waiting to see a GB premium before deciding though. GB to me looks fun, but also simpler rules and is probably the better choice during events/parties. I don't like all the quick brutal games I see in videos, but hey, that's how the game was meant to be. If GB magnet slings work the way I was hoping, then I may change my mind, but for now, I'm really liking what I see and hear from TH owners.

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

GB: Colorfull funny game, fun rules en intresting lay-out. bleh artwork, stupid inlane-outlane set-up. lineair rulesheet.

You lost me at "Bleh artwork"

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I'd just be really worried about the playfield on JJP machines given some of the horror stories and photos. Haven't played either but I watched a fair bit of both and the trolls would annoy me very quickly on TH. WOZ looks great but I was completely turned off seeing the pop bumper wear some people suffered. Also really don't like the LCD screen, it's too much to look at.

Funny story but 5 days after I post the above I got to play a WOZ on location - it had lots of plays and a perfect playfield, even around the saucers/holes. I cancelled my Ghostbusters order and a WOZ will be arriving here in a couple of days. Loved it.

As for TH a lot of the videos online aren't very good and make the game look pretty bad. This video is by far the best that I've seen:

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

As for TH a lot of the videos online aren't very good and make the game look pretty bad. This video is by far the best that I've seen:

You're saying the game looks bad, or the videos themselves? The video you posted definitely does the best job of helping understand how the game works along with the stashkid vid. After watching these videos, I'm really understanding TH better, and appreciate it even more. Will probably buy one soon unless GB premium blows me away. Anyway, great choice on woz. You'll love it

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

You're saying the game looks bad, or the videos themselves?

A lot of the videos make the game look like there's not much to do other than bash trolls, and some are clearly set up wrong with many rejected ramp shots. This video showcases the game pretty well as far as I can tell and there's good variety the others lack. He's capturing audio from the line out too I think hence high quality. I'm hoping to go and play a TH this weekend. Depends on the weather really - I need to get WOZ in the house first and that means weather where I can unbox it outside the garage and remove the head so it can come indoors. Narrow doorways, in fact the widebody will only go through with about an inch to spare. When I moved a Judge Dredd in we put thick covers around the machine so catching the sides wouldn't cause damage.

#188 3 years ago

System 11 I agree some videos looked boring, but after watching several like this video, I began to see how the game works. I'm totally interested in see further progression of modes and story. I like the pressure of the timed modes, the drop targets moving, and how the trolls try to stop you from making certain shots. TH looks better than I was thinking.

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Are you guys nuts? Debating which pin is better?
It's personal preference.
Personally, I'm a Stern fan over JJP 7 days a week -but that's not the case for everyone else.
I have played both, and I expect WoZ owners will prefer Hobbit, and Stern owners will prefer GB.
No biggie either way.
Only thing I have to add is that I am dying to see Stern pins with a colour LCD.
Best of both worlds on my opinion.
To each their own. Enjoy!

WOZ owner here and I prefer GB over TH. Why? I find the toys on GB premium / LE to be far more interactive ,more unique and overall more fun then anything offered on TH. I still think TH looks cool but I just prefer GB.

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I personally think most people just don't fully understand TH rules.

For sure...I played both this weekend and TH seemed exactly like it did a year ago to me; weird upper flipper, trolls pop up too much, no clue what's going on. Looked and sounded great, def need a lot of time on this one to learn it all.

Played GB, and it's just a ton of crap going on in there. Played it maybe 5 times and only hit the right ramp once, and by accident. It's super quick, super brutal, and seems like more time just trying to stay alive than play. But new games always seem harder then they are...gotta break them in a bit. BG Looked and sounded geat as well, much quicker ball times than TH.

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

"Bleh artwork" on GB? Well we all have different tastes! I think it's the best art I've seen on a pin in years. Do those trolls on TH get annoying?

The translite looks like a 1995 data east game. the playfield is like a shower of colors.

and yes, the trolls are getting annoying

but I also have to tell you this: most people liked GB a lot !!

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

The translite looks like a 1995 data east game.

You say that as if its a bad thing.

2 weeks later
#193 3 years ago

If you guys want to see some more Hobbit game play you can check out my stream of the game Here -->

I had a lot of fun playing the game and think its a mechanical masterpiece. The game play is much slower than GB but I still find very enjoyable with a lot of satisfying rules and shots.

Hope you enjoy the video and it shows you the game a little better.

P.S. this was my first time playing so I wasn't sure of the rules yet.

#194 3 years ago

Seems strange to compare THLE to GB pro. I have GBLE and THSE arriving in the next 30 days. LE to LE seems like
a better comparison, but no one has GBLE yet .

#195 3 years ago

I think my opinion about TH changes daily as today I'm thinking about buying one again lol. Why? The code is bringing the game alive in unique and interesting ways that you just can't find anywhere else. Keith, Ted and the crew are putting a bunch of unique coded rules into the game such as the lock down bar button interacting with animations on the screen, unique drop target rules, using the pop up targets in interesting ways, etc. Also, I don't think we've even seen anything yet in terms of just how fun TH will play as the code isn't complete yet. Just wait until there are rules that integrate the subway, magnets and ramp divertor in slick ways.

Ghostbusters code is fairly complete from what I've heard. The games core modes are there. I think the games looks awesome but I'm worried its code may will feel repetitive over time versus the rules in TH.

My main complaints about Ghostbusters are the linear way modes are played (always starting the same modes), and the lack of an LCD display. At $8k a Ghostbusters LE cost as much as the average Hobbit LE and for that price I think you get more value with The Hobbit. With The Hobbit LE / SE you are getting a high quality hammered powder coat, invisiglass, a shaker motor, a large 26" HD display, a minature LCD toy, and 100% color changing inserts. If you buy a Color DMD, invisiglass and Stern's higher quality armor set you are looking at nearly $1k more over The Hobbit's price...

I wish I had enough dough for both games! lol. Both TH and GB are unique and fun in there own ways.

#196 3 years ago

I'll agree Stern could ad some more uniqu stuff to the LE but the premium is the same game so you can easily compare the hobbit to ghostbuster premium which is 6700. Also I don't care about lcd, invisiglass shaker, powder if the game play is no good. I only have one game on the hobbit but I was surprised what a desert the middle playfield seemed like.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

I'll agree Stern could ad some more uniqu stuff to the LE but the premium is the same game so you can easily compare the hobbit to ghostbuster premium which is 6700. Also I don't care about lcd, invisiglass shaker, powder if the game play is no good. I only have one game on the hobbit but I was surprised what a desert the middle playfield seemed like.

You really have to play more then 1 game on TH to get a feeling of the game. I played a few games on it over a year and didn't like it either at first. As the code has progressed I've started to enjoy it a lot more. The middle of the playfield really comes alive when the pop up mechs activate.

Also, with a GB premium I would end up buying a ColorDMD (the red DMD looks terrible and comes across as old), Stern's $250 side armor and a shaker motor. At that point I would be about $7500 into the game. For $500 more I could have a Hobbit LE with an actual large LCD display, true powder coated armor and all color changing inserts.

Ultimately when the code is completed for both games I think that Ghostbusters will be a very fun and deep game to play but that The Hobbit will be the only game out of the two that makes you feel like you are on a quest and unlocking unique things along the way.

#198 3 years ago

If you go by premium pricing. Even if you get the other crap that you don't need, like the color DMD ($400), shitty invisaglass ($150-300)and different colored powdercoated armor ($320 for a 9 piece set from Virtuapin.net) any color you want, your still not even close to the price of hobbit. Even if you pay on the higher side of premium like $6700-6800.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If you go by premium pricing. Even if you get the other crap that you don't need, like the color DMD ($400), shitty invisaglass ($150-300)and different colored powdercoated armor ($320 for a 9 piece set from Virtuapin.net) any color you want, your still not even close to the price of hobbit. Even if you pay on the higher side of premium like $6700-6800.

As I said above though for $500 more I could get a Hobbit LE with an actual high quality powder coat, HD display, and 100% color changing inserts. I think both games are great in their own way and wish I could get both. I can only afford 1 NIB game at the moment so that's why I keep flip flopping back and forth so much between the two.

#200 3 years ago

I can see myself owning TH some time down the road.

I was on the fence w/ TH when Stern announced GB. My money went to the BGLE instead. I was concerned that if I had placed an order for TH, It would be at least a year before I received it. That's the main reason I went w/ GB.

Still love my WOZECLE. The machine is built like a tank. Hopefully, down the road, I can own TH.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 27.50
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside