Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jjpcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdcolor_(resized).jpg
dmdblackandwhite_(resized).jpg
IMG_3061_(resized).JPG
pasted_image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 8 years ago

Hi Everyone.

I've ordered a GB Premium and might cancel my Hobbit. I've played hobbit and not crazy about it so far. Seen videos gameplay of GB and looks great and easy for a novice walking up rather than the Hobbit which will be deep.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

I would likely go with two pro model sterns or older B/W titles.

Much rather have like tron met

Or rbion and Congo etc...

One of the most approachable to me is AFM. Basic fan easy rules and lost of noose and lights. Same with mm bm and some others

If money no object all of the above of course..

#3 8 years ago

I haven't played either, so I'm going to be a huge help. But, in my opinion, it's a lot of money to spend on something you're not crazy about. Cancel your Hobbit and stick with GB. Or you can stick with both, then sell the Hobbit to me for $100 once you get sick of it . I may even go as high as $105.

#4 8 years ago

Played both at TPF.

Ghostbusters blew me away, Hobbit left me feeling Meh.

I'm thinking up picking up my first NIB with Ghostbusters, gotta create a little capitol first. Would pass on Hobbit even if it was priced the same as a GB Pro. Love the theme and the look of the machine, didnt get a thrill when playing it like I did ghostbusters.

#5 8 years ago

I have played Hobbit a few times and I know the code is still lacking and will be great in the end, but I am just not a fan of the layout and in the end code isn't going to fix that for me.

Disclaimer: I canceled my Hobbit order

#6 8 years ago

I played both and like both equally on game play.

#7 8 years ago

It sounds like there have been a bunch of cancelled Hobbit orders.

I was actually thinking about ordering one, but then Stern announced GB.

I ordered the GBLE instead.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I've played hobbit and not crazy about it so far.

Well if you played it and didn't like it, then you shouldn't get it. That is a lot of cash to tie up if you're not crazy about the game.

On the other hand, they are finishing up and testing the 1.0 code for Hobbit. I have high expectations of what Keith is doing with it. So it really depends on when your order is. If TH is coming soon, it is a tougher decision. But if you have some time, sit and wait to see what Keith is doing.

As for GB, I still haven't played it. But even seeing video, I'm waiting out the hype. JT designed it (Mustang, WWE), so I want to get some real play time before tossing any money at it. That, and I want to see what kind of code it hits with. I'll never be sitting in the situation the KISS owners are in right now. Any manufacturer taking a year to make a game have good code is much too long.

#9 8 years ago

my wife loves playing pinball and her favorite is LOTR which she play before and after work. So I thought that Hobbit would be a great fit.

I've Played Hobbit 5 times, with a few ball hang up issues. Just didn't really dazzle me and I know sometimes games will grow on you, but this one doesn't feel that way. Having 4 trolls pop up seem to interrupt flow as well.

The music and call out are great on GB as everyone knows the movie. I own all the Hobbit movies and have yet to watch any of them.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

my wife loves playing pinball and her favorite is LOTR which she play before and after work. So I thought that Hobbit would be a great fit.

I've found that, in this hobby, you gotta keep the Mrs. happy. See if you can find a Hobbit somewhere for her to play. If she also doesn't love it, definitely cancel.

#11 8 years ago

I played both many times in Texas. I like both and they are both very different. I'm getting gb premium and a buddy is getting hobbit. Problem solved. We share!

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I have played Hobbit a few times and I know the code is still lacking and will be great in the end, but I am just not a fan of the layout and in the end code isn't going to fix that for me.
Disclaimer: I canceled my Hobbit order

Nice feedback. That leads me to Rob Zombie, totally naked layout as compared to The Hobbit but at the end of the day that game could become fun as hell. You just never know.

#13 8 years ago

I played both, canceled my TH order an have a GBLE coming. Hated TH layout. That doesn't mean GB will be great by any means but the bones of a good game are there in my opinion.

#14 8 years ago

I played both at TPF. GB felt intense to play. Maybe it was due to waiting in line for so long.....wanted to have a good game. TH just felt floaty to me....TH is gorgeous....and lcd was awesome.

#15 8 years ago

Same here. Played both at TPF. I'm not really into the Hobbit theme but wanted to check it out. Game is definitely a looker and that screen is wow. Ball times were long and gameplay was floaty. Felt like an old type of game where everything is really slow. I only played it once since I really did not feel like waiting to play it again. I enjoyed it but rather play a bunch of other games.

I did wait 3 times in longish lines to play GB. Gameplay was fast and fun. Much more unforgiving than TH. Even though TH looks great, I though GB looked better. I thought the art reflected pinball better and overall more inviting. Great toys and lots of interesting shots. All that and it was only the pro. I feel bad for JJP. They finally start shipping TH right when Stern releases one of their very best pins.

#16 8 years ago

I have played both. Played Hobbit a bit more and in better setting that GB, but at this stage I personally would take Hobbit over GB if they were the same price. They are not and I am cheap, so GB wins by a hair.

I am REALLY not a fan of the right ramp slow and dull boring return from a dead end. Feels clunky and like an after thought of design.

Hobbit is pretty fun to shoot and feels nice but I have no idea what to do codewise so hard to tell.

In short, I think it is way to early to decide on either. In the position of the OP I woudl just continue to sit tight on my TH pre-order and make a game time decision when it is time to pay up and get it shipped to you. That buys some time to see the code on GB develop and NOBODY has even seen or played the prem so far so too much is not known about GBprem to order at this point.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Same here. Played both at TPF. I'm not really into the Hobbit theme but wanted to check it out. Game is definitely a looker and that screen is wow. Ball times were long and gameplay was floaty. Felt like an old type of game where everything is really slow. I only played it once since I really did not feel like waiting to play it again. I enjoyed it but rather play a bunch of other games.
I did wait 3 times in longish lines to play GB. Gameplay was fast and fun. Much more unforgiving than TH. Even though TH looks great, I though GB looked better. I thought the art reflected pinball better and overall more inviting. Great toys and lots of interesting shots. All that and it was only the pro. I feel bad for JJP. They finally start shipping TH right when Stern releases one of their very best pins.

I also have played both several times and agree with the above comments. I really wanted to like TH but it does not create strong feeling, GB on the other hand made me stand in line way too many times as its draw was irresistable. I'm probably going to get GB premium once those are available, TH I'm happy to get to play a few times a year

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I've Played Hobbit 5 times, with a few ball hang up issues. Just didn't really dazzle me and I know sometimes games will grow on you, but this one doesn't feel that way. Having 4 trolls pop up seem to interrupt flow as well.
The music and call out are great on GB as everyone knows the movie. I own all the Hobbit movies and have yet to watch any of them.

Those trolls do get annoying. Some would say that's the point, because they are trolls and that what trolls do but they are just too much. Plus, on both the machines I played, the ball would change direction while rolling over the troll covers as well as the lock roll overs.
Like everyone else says, it looks and sounds great. The first few games I played, I was amazed by the screen. That only goes so far.

#19 8 years ago

GB was fun... but I'm partial to the theme.
Hobbit - Well... I didn't hate it... which is what I wanted given all the drama / delays / company. But that's about it. Hobbit was something I might play if nothing else what as a show... but not something I'd own.

#20 8 years ago

Way too early to tell, but I have a feeling that BOTH GB and Hobbit will be awesome. Wait it out of you aren't early in the lines.

#21 8 years ago

for 8 grand i would pass on the hobbit , GB PRO for almost half the price was a lot of fun ,the LE model is getting a lot of buyers with so many unknowns seems like people should just sit back and wait and see as they will be making these for a long while just my 2 cents

#22 8 years ago

I've played neither.

Ghostbusters is WAY better though.

Hell, you can order a Hobbit today or buy and sell 3 new Stern pins by the time it ships!

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I feel bad for JJP. They finally start shipping TH right when Stern releases one of their very best pins.

Calling GB one of Stern's very best pins is a bit premature. That is saying it is as good as LOTR, Tron or AC/DC (and MET, and a couple others that have proven themselves). Hype is fine, but hyperbole is a bit much this early in the release.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

I've found that, in this hobby, you gotta keep the Mrs. happy. S

This is why I have my GB premium ordered and just ordered a Hobbit for her. Happy wife, Happy pinball life!

#25 8 years ago

Played both at Ohio show, Didn't care much for GB. Hobbit is great, just way too much going on the backbox display.

#26 8 years ago

I vote for GB, but then again I'm not into Hobbit at all. I played it a few times, at last years expo and this years Louisville show, but I just can't get into it. I played GB at the Ohio show and I loved it! I kept going back for more! If I had the money, I'd be buying one, but sadly all my money is tied up in my other hobby. Maybe someday I'll be able to get one, but not right now. I say go for GB!

Brian

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Calling GB one of Stern's very best pins is a bit premature. That is saying it is as good as LOTR, Tron or AC/DC (and MET, and a couple others that have proven themselves). Hype is fine, but hyperbole is a bit much this early in the release.

Could have not said it any better. GB will just be another Stern. JMO.

#28 8 years ago

I have now played both.
Short version is Ghostbusters wins for me.
If you are still reading here is why.
I have played three different Hobbit machines and all of the have had issues.
On all three there has been a drop target that is stuck.
Flippers have been weak on all three. I had chalked that up to TPF constant play but I have also played a different machine after it is first turned on and same problem. Most of the time almost impossible to backhand the right lock ramp.
The ball sticks in the vertical up kicker for repeated attempts. And we have gotten multiple balls jammed in the pop up trolls that take forever for the machine to clear.
I'm sure some or most of this can be fixed but that is my experience so far.

And as an aside we find The Hobbit to be very easy. With the center post and left kickback the game can have some very long ball times.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Is that a bad thing? TWD MET TRON AC/DC... just another Stern, um ok sweet bring it on!

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Hi Everyone.
I've ordered a GB Premium and might cancel my Hobbit. I've played hobbit and not crazy about it so far. Seen videos gameplay of GB and looks great and easy for a novice walking up rather than the Hobbit which will be deep.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tough call, they are very different games.. This is one of those matters of taste like a Williams v Stern debate.

Just eyeing your collection, (which looks awesome!) - it seems like you have a penchant for classics (the Class of '93/'94/'95.)

If you want a game that shoots like a Bally / Williams pin, that is what The Hobbit feels like to me and it makes sense because that (appears at least) to be the JJP idea. (Williams v2.0) The Hobbit ball times are going to be on average, longer where you will be getting control and making shots based on plenty of hurry-ups. While the ball travel may not be breakneck, it can still be a hectic game based on hurry-up goals and the obstacles posed by the trolls / monsters / pop-ups, etc.

New players will play Hobbit and feel like they did well. Seasoned players will find a challenge in objective / roadmap. Scores will be more consistent.

GB, to me, reminds me a lot of Tron, as if JT was channeling Borg as pen went to paper.. Often-short ball times with just-enough occasional rewards to keep people coming back 'one more game.' Great theme, great art package, fun sound. New players will play it b/c of the theme and come back for more abuse. Seasoned players will enjoy the difficulty and challenge.

I think in a collection like yours (if I were you ) I would look for diversity in game play. I think GB would give a different gameplay than some of your other games, while the The Hobbit will 'feel familiar.'

In full disclosure: I have a TH paid for/ soon-to-be-enroute and I'll be down for a GB Premium or 2nd hand LE when they are eventually available, unless a nearby friend gets one first. I *was* on the pre-pre-list for a GB LE but lost my spot to pursue another game that was on my bucket list.

#31 8 years ago

"I played the game and it was just 'ok'...."
"It's weak now, but hopefully mature code will help"

Folks, make these manufacturers EARN our money.

Code not great? Wait till it is to send them $$$$
Q/C weak? Wait till it's NOT to spend money.

I feel like there's a LOT of rationalization going on, specifically with TH, around new code making it a fun game. It might, but it's NOT going to change the layout....

I get why folks that have been waiting YEARS and defending it here are vested in it being a success.... But for those that haven't committed their money, there's ZERO upside in paying now till the game is truly great, and plenty of downside.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Is that a bad thing? TWD MET TRON AC/DC... just another Stern, um ok sweet bring it on!

Stern vs all other companies. That's what it comes down to.

#33 8 years ago

I have had a TH for about 2 weeks now. The game is setup steep, no center post and strong flippers. People chiming in from having played this game a year ago at a show is a bit silly to me. The shots feel good to hit, especially the spinners. There are tons of shots. The game is super fun to play, the sounds are awesome, the use of the ring makes you constantly eye the button and the upper screen, the use of the playfield LCD for mode info is what every game (mode based or not) should have, learning to stack modes/postpone modes and locks is strategically diverse. I have had zero mechanical problems and my son has played it at least an hour plus per day since I received it. The game is fast, hard (remove the center post, duh) and not "floaty" at all. You can hit either ramp from either flipper to change mode, start mode, add time to modes or lock a ball, giving you huge control of how and when you play your modes and multiballs. The upper right flipper is used to enable short timed shots when the ball leaves the pop area or comes around from a left orbit shot. Given that its running .81 code (or whatever it is) its amazing to think where it could go.

I own plenty of Sterns and they are great, but about every new Stern is the "best game ever..." GB art looks awesome, no doubt. But no way to tell yet how good it will be to play. I think, at the end of the day, games live and die on code. most people argue that layout is king, but take TWD for example. People HATED it when the code was bad. Now, with good code, the game is great and well received - but, the layout IMO supersucks (I own TWD and do love it despite the shitty layout). Can't possibly hit the Riot shot from the crossbow...check. Tunnel shot is so poorly designed that most shots to it just rattle around to the right of the pops and never go around (folks, saying that you have to be perfect to hit the shot is not a testament to well placed geometry of a shot path)...check. Bicycle girl ramp is insanely steep and many good shots to it are rejected due to the design (premium only)...check. Ball in pops stays there sometime far too long, interrupting game flow and then sometimes goes SDTM...check. Game has awesome code and is fun nonetheless...check.

Who knows what issues GB will have. Put your order on hold and go play the games if you're not sure.

#34 8 years ago

I have played both, but as someone who is a longtime gb fan and also hated the hobbit movies, it's difficult to be objective. Ghostbusters kept drawing me back to wait in line again and again. It's possibly the best looking and most packed Stern to date. It was also a blast to play and included some of my favorite playfield design elements. I actually enjoyed Hobbit too, but I dont understand why every machine I have seen has been setup slow and floaty. Is there something to hide? I don't get it. It was nowhere near the rush of playing gb, but I could see it being fun with solid code in much the same way AFM is. It still doesn't seem like a lot of bang for your buck, especially when comparing it to GB...

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

"I played the game and it was just 'ok'...."
"It's weak now, but hopefully mature code will help"
Folks, make these manufacturers EARN our money.
Code not great? Wait till it is to send them $$$$
Q/C weak? Wait till it's NOT to spend money.
I feel like there's a LOT of rationalization going on, specifically with TH, around new code making it a fun game. It might, but it's NOT going to change the layout....
I get why folks that have been waiting YEARS and defending it here are vested in it being a success.... But for those that haven't committed their money, there's ZERO upside in paying now till the game is truly great, and plenty of downside.

how is the code so lacking after this long? in another thread (about 6 months ago) it was said the code was 80% complete. It doesn't make sense.
and you're right, code won't help the layout. it's hard to tell if i got bored of it after 20 games because the code or the layout.

#36 8 years ago

I wonder how may Hobbits have been cancelled due to ghostbusters

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Allcastlegames:

I wonder how may Hobbits have been cancelled due to ghostbusters

I'm not going to cancel. That's for sure.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I'm not going to cancel. That's for sure.

have you played it yet?

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

have you played it yet?

Tons of times

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I have now played both.
Short version is Ghostbusters wins for me.
If you are still reading here is why.
I have played three different Hobbit machines and all of the have had issues.
On all three there has been a drop target that is stuck.
Flippers have been weak on all three. I had chalked that up to TPF constant play but I have also played a different machine after it is first turned on and same problem. Most of the time almost impossible to backhand the right lock ramp.
The ball sticks in the vertical up kicker for repeated attempts. And we have gotten multiple balls jammed in the pop up trolls that take forever for the machine to clear.
I'm sure some or most of this can be fixed but that is my experience so far.
And as an aside we find The Hobbit to be very easy. With the center post and left kickback the game can have some very long ball times.

For every negative there's a positive , right?
I played hobbit for 6 hours in a home environment a month ago with the sound up, flippers strong, pitch perfect, and let me tell you, the game is sweet!

Quoted from Skyemont:

There's so much truth to this statement, and that's not a bad thing. I'm a huge fan of sterns and there is a very similar feel with most their modern pins. Hobbit has something magical going on in its whole package. It's not just about speed speed speed. It's a journey and experience. The programmers did a great job of capturing all the good parts of the movie and integrating it to the game.

All in all, code is the underlying factor long term, but if you want a diverse lineup you can't go wrong with having a hobbit next to a stern.

#41 8 years ago

Played both at TPF. Hobbit felt like a standard layout forced into a widebody. I actually like WOZ but feel this game is a step back in design for JJP. In comparison Ghostbusters felt fantastic right off the first plung. It's a fun fast shooter with a comedic tone that's really lacking in modern pinball. Has the potential to be one of Sterns best.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am REALLY not a fan of the right ramp slow and dull boring return from a dead end. Feels clunky and like an after thought of design.

Agree with this on GB Pro, and Trudeau pretty much verified in a podcast interview that it literally was an after thought design, which disappointed me. With the design power and experience at Stern, it seems they could have come up with something better. This also seems to make GB Pro and Premium two very different machines. Pro has got to be substantially more right-flipper play.

Given price points, I would think the comparison has to be GB Premium vs Hobbit though.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

People chiming in from having played this game a year ago at a show is a bit silly to me.

Why have the updated the code since then?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Given price points, I would think the comparison has to be GB Premium vs Hobbit though.

True, but no one has played the premium yet. So, as per the topic title the pro is all there is to compare.

#45 8 years ago

It's fun to speculate and judge what a game might become when a new game hits the market. Reality is we won't know for quite some time but the cream always rises to the top.

I think JJP does their pins a great disservice by setting them up slow and floaty at shows. Stern games are always set up in-your-face fast. When all you have is a few quick games to form an impression of gameplay, fast is more exciting than slow every time.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

For every negative there's a positive , right?
I played hobbit for 6 hours in a home environment a month ago with the sound up, flippers strong, pitch perfect, and let me tell you, the game is sweet!

Yep. And I agree 100%.
I can only talk about the 4 different ones I have played.
I have yet to find one playing correctly without a mechanical problem.
Maybe someday.

#47 8 years ago

Ghostbusters hands down. Gorgeous fun game. I don't like having to decipher a board game on my backglass to know where I'm at in the game.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

but I dont understand why every machine I have seen has been setup slow and floaty. Is there something to hide?

There is just WAY too much uninterrupted horizontal real estate in the playfield. There is no way you can counteract the effect of this layout, no matter how you set up the game. And I have tried. We have a Hobbit on location that I was able to tweak. I greatly increased the pitch, as well as the strength of the flippers and kicker coils. While this did help, it still felt at times like you were courtside watching two old men play tennis. Back... And forth....Back..... And forth. Much of this would have been mitigated had it not been made a wide body.

Still, TH is gorgeous, and the best sounding game I have ever heard. The display is amazing. I think it will succeed for folks that don't mind a slower, cerebral, quest-like pinball experience.

I much prefer a visceral, fast, furious, fun,and intense pinball experience, but am thrilled to have access to TH on location.

#49 8 years ago

TH all the way hands down.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

We have a Hobbit on location that I was able to tweak.

How is it earning? I'm asking because the one near me has been filling up the cash box.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 103.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-played-both-ghostbusters-and-hobbit/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.