(Topic ID: 145663)

Who's pinball opinion do you value most?

By embryonjohn

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Det_Deckard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I've learned to trust my wife's opinion of a pinball machine. She sees it as a novice would and soberly reports it strengths and shortcomings. Unlike me she doesn't think about what was paid for the game, it's history, it's future potential with mods/LEDs (or any of that nonsense) and whether or not it was popular back in the day. She's never been wrong. Never... The games she said don't sell ~ I shouldn't have (ugh) and want them back. The titles I bored with quickly ~ she didn't even finish playing the 1st game. We'll go somewhere and she'll naturally gravitate to the best playing machine in the arcade.
All this and she's not even into pinball. Who heads up your pinball testing department?

#2 4 years ago

Mine.

#3 4 years ago

So you've never been just flat out wrong about a pin? Like going after a dog of a pin you wasted time and money on?

#4 4 years ago

Not RareHero

#5 4 years ago

Caucasian2Step is a well traveled pinball reviewer with easy to read "This is good, this is bad" reviews.

#6 4 years ago

I was going to say the same thing.
I trust Imeh's opinion the most as well.

#7 4 years ago

+1 on Caucasian2Step's reviews... I always look to see if he's reviewed a machine I might pick up but haven't played. He always includes plenty of detail, objectivity, and cool color commentary. Never thanked him for it previously (shame on me) , but will now. Gracias, C2S - your reviews ROCK!

#8 4 years ago

LOL we own the same games, ya maniac.

#9 4 years ago

Lots of people, but 3 come to mind that I most often discuss pinball with.

DirtFlipper - Extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Passionate about the hobby yet diplomatic.
O-din - Likes a lot of the same stuff I like. If he likes or doesn't like a game it's often a good indicator whether I might.
My wife - She only really cares about the art generally but it's always nice to get her take on a game I may consider.

#10 4 years ago

I ask my local buddies Astropin, Zampinator and RonB for their advice a lot.

#11 4 years ago

A local player to me who goes by Sleethering on here typically has excellent opinions and evaluations of games.

I usually just go by my own opinions and evaluations though, and that tends to work pretty well for me.

#12 4 years ago

Beelzeboob

EDIT
fix spelling

#13 4 years ago

If I was buying games to impress others I might have MM and WoZ and Tron and TAF. But instead I have Stern Playboy and WHOdunnit and SW:E1 and Mustang premium. Your own opinion is really the only one that matters. Play the games as much as possible before buying, so your decision is based on fun factor and not just theme. And keep them forever so you never have any regrets about one you shouldn't have sold.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

O-din - Likes a lot of the same stuff I like. If he likes or doesn't like a game it's often a good indicator whether I might.

I agree. But somebody's got to stop me from buying games just because they look good.

#16 4 years ago

No one really....other than myself and that doesn't always work out.
It's just like music or cars or anything else, even if you have super similar tastes whom knows what can happen. And that's just liking games....whether they are long term keepers to you is impossible to tell; even to yourself.

#17 4 years ago

Also rcbrown316.
Just not on sports

#19 4 years ago

Chris H helped me repair my Twilight Zone... Great guy! I'll be sending my boards his way when/if they need work.

Lloyd (LTG) at SS Billiards helped with several issues... Another great guy

DirtFlipper fixed my Sky Jump flippers - no charge.

Collin F is repairing my Shaq Attaq scoreboard... knows his stuff.

TOK offered/gave me his Taxi decals.. Super nice guy.

All the people mentioned I'm sure also gave other people advice/help & really make this pinball hobby a blast to be in.

#20 4 years ago

+1 for Vid1900

#21 4 years ago

When I'm stumped, I call a guy who's been repairing pins for 40 something years.
I asked him what his all time favorite table was, he said, "Baywatch"

He's out

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

When I'm stumped, I call a guy who's been repairing pins for 40 something years.
I asked him what his all time favorite table was, he said, "Baywatch"
He's out

He has a GREAT opinion and you shoudl listen to him.

BW is a top 10 game for sure!

#23 4 years ago

I bought an X-Files mainly because someone who I thought was an idiot kept saying how bad it was and I really liked it.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

I bought an X-files mainly because someone who I thought was an idiot kept saying how bad it was and I really liked it.

#25 4 years ago

My wife only plays MM, WOZ, and TZ. Happy wife happy life.

#26 4 years ago

for game reviews the 4 guys on the old pinball review.com site are pretty darn good

#27 4 years ago

I would say my own opinion too. I realized early on that I appreciate most games that a lot of people do not. Games that a lot of people love, I don't care for that much, and games that I immediately was drawn to, are widely considered dogs.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

DirtFlipper - Extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Passionate about the hobby yet diplomatic.

Well, for opinions, obviously mine. However, can I second this guy? Not for opinions, but for helpfulness. I've never met him, don't know him in real life. Yet he is very helpful and always has a good attitude about it. I'm sure if I ever met him, I'd like him.

#29 4 years ago

I trust Bowen. He said Kings of Steel should be called Kings of Right Target and I won't buy it because of that. Even though, a couple have come up for sale locally for cheap.

Mostly I just like playing pinball, so I haven't met one I didn't like yet.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm sure if I ever met him, I'd like him.

You would, he is just as personable in person.

#31 4 years ago

have to say VID1900 all the way!!!!

plus he has bailed me out more than once

#32 4 years ago

I think non pinball people have the best opinion. We get caught up in rarity, theme, cost and value.
They just come over and pick what they like best and play.

With that said, I do what I like within a budget.

If I were to sell my cyclone, I think I might have a mutiny. Do I like it? Yeah, but everyone else loves it.

I also find that the more complex a pin is, people lose interest much faster.

For me, I need pins that myself and others like, because honestly, I don't like playing by myself.

#33 4 years ago

Well Crap, I dont even trust myself! Hopeless....just Hopeless....

My wifes opinion is, "Oh Good, your selling one, can I have the Money!? "

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I agree. But somebody's got to stop me from buying games just because they look good.

o-din, you got No Fear. Do you like it?

#36 4 years ago

Not O-din. He only plays games that go DING!!! But if I needed advice about EMs, he'd be my guy.

I've learned everything I know from people here on Pinside. So I value everybody's opinion, but usually try to get two concurring opinions before doing anything. For tech questions, it's Vid, Lloyd, Hibler, John Wart, TerryB, ForceFlow, etc, etc, etc. (Again, there are too many to even mention!) For restoration questions, it's McCune, Bryan Kelly, and every now and then I wring an answer out of Chris at HEP. I even get some restoration help from that hack Skypilot, but that's usually to find out what NOT to do when restoring a game.

Pinsiders are my peeps, and I'm appreciative of all of them. Even that dick rcbrown316.

#37 4 years ago

Only myself. I would never buy a pin I haven't put multiple plays on to make sure I like it.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Det_Deckard:

o-din, you got No Fear. Do you like it?

Heck yeah! Even though I'm getting more partial to the older machines now, No Fear is still to me one of the last great games from Williams. My DMDs are whittling down but I have no intention of letting it go anytime soon. It is fast, fun, and it rocks!

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I ask my local buddies Astropin, Zampinator and RonB for their advice a lot.

Ditto.....there are a few Pinsider's who appear to have very similar tastes as me so I get their 2 cents as well.

#40 4 years ago

Golden rule: Never trust the opinion of anyone who doesn't enjoy a good EM.

#41 4 years ago

Oh. I thought we were talking about opinions on important stuff like tech and repairs, etc. When it comes to choosing a machine, only my opinion matters. Why would anybody care what somebody else thinks?

#42 4 years ago

Ya.. On picking machines, it's my way. Some people are very unhappy about my decisions to move games out of the arcade. I appreciate that, but they only play the games a couple days a year. I'm here all the time!

#43 4 years ago

I just pm a pinsider or 2 I know and tell them I am considering buying, ask if they like theirs, and what the dislikes are as well. I still haven't purchased TWD, but have been asking around, and now plan to give it a try.

Or I just buy the game and play the crap out of it and form my own opinion.

#44 4 years ago

Plus....we all make mistakes, hell even games I played and LOVED didn't last once I got them in my home. Some games (for some reason) are great.....for a very short period of time. Others are meh at first but end up being great. A lot of those happen to be Stern games that got off on the wrong foot but then completely changed with code updates.....ST, X-Men, TWD......

#45 4 years ago

what do you mean by . ?

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

I asked a guy who's been repairing pins for 40 years what his all time favorite table was and he said "Baywatch".

Gee. I asked a friend what his all-time favorite table was and he said "dinner".

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not O-din. He only plays games that go DING!!! But if I needed advice about EMs, he'd be my guy.
I've learned everything I know from people here on Pinside. So I value everybody's opinion, but usually try to get two concurring opinions before doing anything. For tech questions, it's Vid, Lloyd, Hibler, John Wart, TerryB, ForceFlow, etc, etc, etc. (Again, there are too many to even mention!) For restoration questions, it's McCune, Bryan Kelly, and every now and then I wring an answer out of Chris at HEP. I even get some restoration help from that hack Skypilot, but that's usually to find out what NOT to do when restoring a game.
Pinsiders are my peeps, and I'm appreciative of all of them. Even that dick rcbrown316.

hah FU boobf_ck. I do agree with you. Again being relatively new the collective knowledge here at pinside was invaluable. Lots of opinions to read and digest on all fronts including buying and repairing. Ask a question, get lots of feedback, make a decision. Pretty awesome even when you factor in having to deal with a bunch of dildo's from time to time

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

hah FU boobf_ck. I do agree with you.

I don't. Not all my games go ding, but the best ones do.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't. Not all my games go ding, but the best ones do.

...the opening quote to "Playing Pinball Underwater: The EM Story" by O-din.

(Disclaimer: I actually like EMs.)

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

"Playing Pinball Underwater: The EM Story" by O-din.

You want my opinion about music now? I didn't think so...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
3,200 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Warrenton, MO
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 67.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside