(Topic ID: 84540)

Who's installing DIY lit flipper buttons?

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pRS1C-4435086w345.jpg
    400665_primary-153.jpg
    image-450.jpg
    image-963.jpg
    image-533.jpg
    image-189.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    L33T Up 010.jpg
    Whirlwind 3 019.jpg
    Lit button 3.JPG
    Lit button 2.JPG
    Lit button 1.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 10 years ago

I've got some cheap Ablaze #555 colored flex bulbs on order from PBL, as well as some clear buttons and some bulb sockets to outfit a few of my games.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've had buttons that want to stick.
    Usually you can take them apart and ease the edge of the inner button part.

I wouldn't think it's an issue that's exclusive to the clear buttons. They're all from the same kind of mold and likely the same kind of plastic (with or without dye).

#28 10 years ago

I got my order in today and just installed some in my Hook. I think clear buttons with yellow LEDs look great. I noticed from above, the lights bleed through the sides of the apron. Has anyone done anything nice looking to block that? I guess if I feel like it's an issue, a black piece of card stock could be bent up and put over it as a light shield from above.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Another trick, if the power that runs the lamp in the start button matches, use it to power the flipper buttons. That way they flash in game over mode and stand out more.
    That's what I did here. This is Cointaker flipper LED kit (I had the spare kit so I cheated on this one) behind translucent buttons tied into the start switch lamp.
    » YouTube video

Man, I would have done that in my Hook, but I run my games with tokens and it looks like the start button only lights and blinks when there are credits, otherwise it's dark. I wired mine into one of the coin chute lights.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from njg:

Clear buttons and a single colored flex LED hooked into the start button using piggy back connectors so no wires are cut and can put the wiring back to stock.

njg

400665_primary-153.jpg 3 KB

I had no idea those existed! I followed the same principal, though, of tapping into the a light that had quick connects with a DIY spliced up piggyback connector, and covered the bare metal with heat-shrink tubing.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

I can't find those spade splitters anywhere, I checked Home Depot, ACE, and Wal-Mart with no-luck. No Radio Shack in my town anymore. I didn't really want to order through the mail because of shipping so I guess I'll have to tap the wires.

Maybe an automotive store? At the very least you should be able to get some disconnect terminal male ends and build something similar.

(not sure about sizes on these) http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Dorman-AutoGrade-25-pcs-yellow-male-disconnect-terminal/_/N-25oe?itemIdentifier=456918&_requestid=6570374

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-installing-diy-lit-flipper-buttons?tu=winteriscoming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.