Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-473.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    The Wiz.jpg
    739f39c6a61c743c767b7a2222702774224ae74f.jpg
    johnnydangerously.jpg
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

Who's going to blindly buy JJP's #3 PL title when available? I'm enjoying my WOZ enough to buy the next JJP title even though Hobbit's not been released yet and I have no idea what the next title will be.
    Who's in? Anybody have and inkling of what Pat is up to?

#2 9 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Anybody have and inkling of what Pat is up to?

Probably something good

#4 9 years ago

Im in

#5 9 years ago

I'm out after the first two JJP machines. More interested in Game of Thrones and Star Wars. (Or haven't I said that on 10 other threads already???)

#6 9 years ago

Not in because of price and model.

I am excited to see though...love me some PL.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

More interested in Game of Thrones

Really? I thought this was just Pinside talk - is there really a GOT in development? If that's the case - I'm in!

#8 9 years ago

Not blindly buying any pin anymore. Preorder model is stupid. If Pat creates a great pin I'll buy it when it can ship the same day.

#9 9 years ago

Game of thrones would make me in as well and I don't support someone holding my money for years

#10 9 years ago

I'm excited to see what happens with ALL of these pins that are not yet made yet. But I'm not IN on anything until it is OUT.

-Wes

#11 9 years ago

I'm in mentally, just not financially.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Really? I thought this was just Pinside talk - is there really a GOT in development? If that's the case - I'm in!

Supposedly Steve Ritchie said the next Stern is a TV license. The popularity of that show (vs. TWD, for instance) coupled with Stern's previous relationship with HBO (Sopranos) would point to that as being the next game. Sounds like a winner with just the popularity of the show on Pinside.

Okay. I'm done hijacking the thread...just wanted to address that!

#13 9 years ago

If you say yes, I'm in on this pin that I haven't seen, that I don't even know the name and theme of, you're certifiably crazy, and it's time seek treatment for your addiction.

#14 9 years ago

johnnydangerously.jpgjohnnydangerously.jpg

#15 9 years ago

I pre-ordered and have had my WOZECLE since September and I'm in on The Hobbit LE but that's it...for now. No intent on buying anything else in the foreseeable future. I'm very content with the four (soon to be five w/The Hobbit) pins I currently own and play. Pat's game or anything else would have to totally blow me away in order for me to change my mind and consider adding another new pin to my modest collection.

#16 9 years ago

Seriously, what are the chances of it being a turd? Name one game, that isn’t a Stern, That PL has designed that is a total turd.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Seriously, what are the chances of it being a turd? Name one game, that isn’t a Stern, That PL has designed that is a total turd.

Turd or no spending $9000 to find out if Pat can reclaim his touch after a decade of misses with Stern doesn't seem that attractive to me.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

So name the game that's not good but exclude a bunch that certain people say aren't good?

Name a time people haven't earned money in the stock market except those times where people lost money. GO!

#19 9 years ago

Just like others, I am VERY excited for this game! Jack and company built an AMAZING machine with WOZ. And then they tell me that Pat Lawlor (Hi Pat!) is going to design a game on the JJP platform. Well that is just off the hook! My imagination just runs wild with the possibilities.

But of course I won't buy it blindly. I'll look at what this proven manufacturer (JJP) and this proven designer (Hi Pat!), and these proven programmers (Ted and Keith) come up with. Then if they are found to be fun, I will make it rain!

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I agree the chances of it being a 'turd' are basically 'nil' but having shelled out over $15000.00 for two NIB JJP pins the past couple years I would need to sell one or two I currently own to subsidize paying for another. That's why whatever it would be it would have to be something very special and worth every penny.

By the way I'm very happy with my PL designed Family Guy purchased NIB and have no intentions of parting with it anytime soon.

#21 9 years ago

739f39c6a61c743c767b7a2222702774224ae74f.jpg739f39c6a61c743c767b7a2222702774224ae74f.jpg

Muhahahahahaha

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

So name the game that's not good but exclude a bunch that certain people say aren't good?
    Name a time people haven't earned money in the stock market except those times where people lost money. GO!

Here is why. PL was given free reign with W/B. He designed the game he wanted. Stern did not and does not allow free reign. Gary has his input and has say over what he wants or doesn’t want. I was told this by one of his designers in a private conversation. I don’t want to start a like/dislike Stern war but compare games from designers who worked for both Stern and W/B. Jack has stated that PL will have the freedom to do as he wants with his game. In fact, if I’m not mistaken, it has already been designed.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I get why you're trying to exclude Stern, so I'm not playing gotcha, but don't you think it's a bit disingenuous to say "name an old game he did that wasn't great, but ignore everything he's done since then"?

Hey, I hope he's got the magic touch still, the BOM is wide open to his ideas, and it turns out incredible. I don't know if the rumors I've heard about it (and I won't repeat them don't PM me) are true or not, but I'm interested if so. I think it could make a cool theme for a pin.

So I'm not negative or anything, it's just crazy that we're even having this discussion.

I love Metallica and Tron, meh on TWD. Same designer.

And no game designer can overcome a theme I dislike. What if you just straight up don't like it?

#24 9 years ago

The Wiz.jpgThe Wiz.jpg
    #25 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Here is why. PL was given free reign with W/B. He designed the game he wanted. Stern did not and does not allow free reign. Gary has his input and has say over what he wants or doesn’t want. I was told this by one of his designers in a private conversation. I don’t want to start a like/dislike Stern war but compare games from designers who worked for both Stern and W/B. Jack has stated that PL will have the freedom to do as he wants with his game. In fact, if I’m not mistaken, it has already been designed.

I know this happend on CSI for sure. But Pat had his own studio and I *thought* he did what he wanted on the machines, within license reason, and had a lot of free reign. Keith will probably correct that statement if it's incorrect.

Bigger point is the market isn't there to relive the wms days. They made a whole lot of money on pins in those days. They could afford to let a team run and do cool stuff with little risk that the company would fold as a result of it. I've talked to current stern employees and I work with a lot of ex-stern and wms people and it's fun to hear about the glory days. So while I agree Pat is capable of designing great pins I don't think you'll see any company reliving the glory days of WMS. IMO.

#26 9 years ago

I have three non-licensed theme'd games in my collection (Sorcerer, RFM, and Safe Cracker), so I'm not opposed to unlicensed games . . . that said, I would really need to like the unlicensed theme to be in no matter how good the game is.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

I know this happend on CSI for sure. But Pat had his own studio and I *thought* he did what he wanted on the machines, within license reason, and had a lot of free reign.

Sterns got rules...no subways etc

#28 9 years ago

You may be right but I hope you are not. I know I’m negative about Stern so maybe its just my bias but Im looking at how good WOZ turned out and then Jack saying he will give PL free reign and I’m seeing a epic pinball in my head. It will be interesting to see what comes out. I don’t know why I cant get Jack to tell me what its going to be. I promised him I wouldn’t tell anyone.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sterns got rules...no subways etc

Why is this. subways etc are bad ass.

#30 9 years ago

I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and guess that JJP Pat Lawlor pin will, suddenly, be released and made available. This won't be a situation where JJP parades it around to show it off a year before it's release... I think they are going to announce it and begin production within a month, if not less.

The idea of "I'd like to pre-order" with this pin will actually be more like "I'd like to order one."

I think JJP is going to literally blindside the market with the pin, well before anyone sees it coming.

If the layout is a tad different from Lawlor classics...I'll be in. WOZ has been an incredible pin to own...love it. I have no doubt that JJP#3 will be similar in build-quality, innovation, and wow factor.

I hope they break mold and go with a narrow body.

#31 9 years ago

They did say it would be a regular sized pin.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Jack saying he will give PL free reign and I’m seeing a epic pinball in my head.

Could be great, could be bad...no way to tell before it happens. I like PL as much as anyone, but I worry that having to justify such a large investment in a new JJP game, this could cause issues. Hope not...I'll be looking for a used one if it's good in 10 years

Quoted from zr11990:

They did say it would be a regular sized pin.

That's good news

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I would not call any of his games turds, but they all seem to be similar to each other

#34 9 years ago

No way I'd be in on it in advance, but I'm definitely hoping it turns out to be great.

It'd be awesome to have a fun table from Lawlor again. It'd be awesome to have a non-licensed game that was new and well liked by most.

#35 9 years ago

I'm planning on being in but will not commit until we know more.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I would not call any of his games turds, but they all seem to be similar to each other

He certainly has tropes that he likes. Upper flipper to a jackpot shot anyone?

#37 9 years ago

but they all seem to be similar to each other

Banzai Run, Earthshaker, Whirlwind, Funhouse, Addams, Twilight Zone, Safe Cracker, No Good Gofers, Monopoly, Ripley's, Roller coaster Tycoon, Family Guy, CSI.

So we got regular body, wide body, narrow body, crap in the back head to do, game that spits magic tokens at us, translites, painted backglass.

Seems more of an assortment than similarities. Maybe more so than any other designer ?

LTG : )™

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

His last game non Stern was 17 years ago and it may have it's fans but NGG is a turd in my eyes. As for buying his game it will all hang on price and theme .

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Banzai Run, Earthshaker, Whirlwind, Funhouse, Addams, Twilight Zone, Safe Cracker, No Good Gofers, Monopoly, Ripley's,...

Think you left out JP & Tron

EDIT The beauty is how many are similar in layout, but completely diff'rent playing.

#40 9 years ago

4 of my 10 pins were designed by Lawlor so I'm excited to see what they come up with - but there's no way I would commit to anything in advance. Now that JJP is no longer a startup, I'd like to see them drop the advance order stuff.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Banzai Run, Earthshaker, Whirlwind, Funhouse, Addams, Twilight Zone, Safe Cracker, No Good Gofers, Monopoly, Ripley's, Roller coaster Tycoon, Family Guy, CSI.
    So we got regular body, wide body, narrow body, crap in the back head to do, game that spits magic tokens at us, translites, painted backglass.
    Seems more of an assortment than similarities. Maybe more so than any other designer ?

Now I have done it.
    Pissed Jack
    Pissed Pinchroma
    Now upset LTG

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

You may be right but I hope you are not. I know I’m negative about Stern so maybe its just my bias but Im looking at how good WOZ turned out and then Jack saying he will give PL free reign and I’m seeing a epic pinball in my head. It will be interesting to see what comes out. I don’t know why I cant get Jack to tell me what its going to be. I promised him I wouldn’t tell anyone.

If you want to see what PL can do look at JJP most recent game TH JJP have cut cost sense WOZ.

#43 9 years ago

I, too, have heard that PL's JJP pin will be announced and ready for shipment at the same time. No preorders, no flyer teases, no big event prototype play-tests, no shows with preproduction examples.

While I find that highly improbable, it would be nice to see.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

If you want to see what PL can do look at JJP most recent game TH JJP have cut cost sense WOZ.

Cut costs since woz? You can't be serious. With all those individually controlled drop target mechs and the 4 pop up monsters - if anything the BOM on Hobbit would be higher, not lower, I'd expect.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

Oh so you have the cost for the BOM for both WOZ and TH? Please post it, I'd like to see how much of my money goes to the actual game.

#46 9 years ago

Now I have done it.
    Pissed Jack
    Pissed Pinchroma
    Now upset LTG

You are fine. I'm not upset.

I just see so many differences in Pat's games that cabinets alone are worth mentioning.

I'm glad you spoke up, so things can be brought to light, debated, and gone over.

Helps make the wait more bearable.

Disclaimer : No idea on Jack or Alex. I'm sure they'll forgive you.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

Anybody have and inkling of what Pat is up to?

Strange thing happened at Expo. I was in a room with the Hobbit and staff hours before the Thursday fireside chat.

I was sitting next to Pat. And he said, "Hi".

I figured that was code for "Heck It's Going To Be F'ing Great".

Of course I could be wrong. It could be better than that.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : Pat is up to about 6'

#48 9 years ago

I'd imagine that Pat's JJP game will be fully loaded
    He has no reason to get back into the game unless it was by his rules

The game should be interesting

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Not blindly buying any pin anymore. Preorder model is stupid. If Pat creates a great pin I'll buy it when it can ship the same day.

Good response.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If you say yes, I'm in on this pin that I haven't seen, that I don't even know the name and theme of, you're certifiably crazy, and it's time seek treatment for your addiction.

True Dat. If you said yes on this thread.....YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. Stop all this preorder madness.

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-in-on-jjp-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.