New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 58623)

who's going to pinball expo 2013 in Chicago?

By dfsays

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pinwizkid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TShirtLogo.jpg

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

Planning on checking it out - will be my first time. Co-worker of mine who works in Chicago will also be attending some of it since she's also a pinball fan - can't wait!

#52 7 years ago

Forgot about the nice wh2o. It was nice. How much was it?

#53 7 years ago

I'm only going to be there Friday afternoon through Saturday. Hoping to play WOZ. There isn't even a LOTR to play in South Bend that I can find, much less WOZ.

#54 7 years ago

Wow, thats pretty sad. Expo will be great!

1 week later
    #55 7 years ago

I really haven't decided if I'll go this year or not. My usual expo companions haven't answered me back on sharing a room or not. Also would have to find a partner for the EXPO-BRAWL (Put on by the Ohio Pin League) as that is really the only reason to attend expo, and Lloyd's seminar/party is great as well.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Lloyd's seminar/party is great as well.

Thank you.

And it and Twin Peaks Ladies have moved to Saturday night right after the banquet, about 10:30ish.

LTG : )

#57 7 years ago

Will be there fer-sure! A must do and great time always!!

#58 7 years ago

Hotel reservations made. Only 2 months to go!

#59 7 years ago

The plan is for Paul and I to be there with shirts from pinballshirts.com. We'll probably set up a pre-order prior to the show in case anyone wants to be sure to get anything. We run out of sizes from time to time.

Paul has a special project we hope to show and I have been working on another video project that should be at the show for sale as well.

Look forward to seeing everyone!

#60 7 years ago

I'm going Friday night and playing into the morning.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I am so into that too! At CAX I didn't realize one night they stayed open super late and I would have loved that since all the kids wouldn't be in there (no offense to kids, but they were everywhere!)

#64 7 years ago

Rolling in from NJ for my first expo.

#65 7 years ago

Going to try and make the Stern tour this year -

Anybody know when the Expo-Brawl registration will be open?

#66 7 years ago

Will be there for entire run... probably bringing 2 machines again this year.

#67 7 years ago

I will make it this year with my son. Been away from the scene too long and have it planned!!

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

See you there!

#69 7 years ago

There will also be some PAPA TV livestreaming of the event, assuming the mobile rig is up and running by then...but what I'm really looking forward to is some more whirlyball.

#70 7 years ago

I'm Trying to get a local Pinhead/Pinsider to come. Might even bring a few more along as well!

2 weeks later
    #71 7 years ago

I've got everything booked. Going with a small group from the Texas Pinball Festival.

3 weeks later
    #72 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Thank you.
    And it and Twin Peaks Ladies have moved to Saturday night right after the banquet, about 10:30ish.
    LTG : )

Do I have to buy the expensive ticket to see this, or will the cheapo $20ish passes get me in?

There might be another Twin Cities guy headed out to the expo. Not sure though, given I've been to MGC three times in a row now and the Twin Cities having a pretty good pinball scene. I also did the Stern tour a few years back with MGC, it was ok, but nothing I really need to see again.

#73 7 years ago

Currently putting the finishing touches on a Pinball Magazine surprise to debut at Expo

#74 7 years ago

Im passing on the Expo this year last years it didnt even pay to be there sunday 70% of the machines cleared out saturday night cant go until friday night or saturday morning anyway. It had an excellent vender hall but was a disapointment in comparison to the MGC.
    They did i guess have some good seminars but since i have parental responsibilities I missed most of them anyway and the expo seems more like a fee based event unlike the MGC.
    The hotel scheduled a wedding during the same time as the expo game halls were shut down for hours becouse of stern banquet etc.
    Its not worth the trip for me

#75 7 years ago

Astropin and I will be there....

#76 7 years ago

I plan to attend again this year....

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from dfsays:

It sounds awesome AND I could tour the Stern plant.
    PLUS, there's a gameroom open all night.
    It's this worth the trip from mid-Michigan?

For me, and others, the key to having fun at Expo, is being with people. You will get the most out of Expo by meeting up with other pinheads, spending time with them, and possibly having meals with them.

There are lots of things to do at Expo, and machines to play, but that is only a part of the experiance. On a cost per game play, this may not work out, if that is what you are looking for.

I would caution you, that others who travel alone, eat alone, and play alone, do not give reports of a good time.

I have had the best of times at Expo for the last 7 years, and my only regret, was not going in the years before (when I first entered the hobby)

Hope to see you there.

Oh, and if you want to experiance Expo on a higher level, take a game, and meet up with the guys in the freeplay area who bring games too.

#78 7 years ago

Yeah i did meet up with friends last year and brought a machine and the kid but pf glass broke the night before lol.
    It still wasnt as good as the MGC in my opinion. The machines as a whole were nicer at the mgc as well.

#79 7 years ago

I will be there but only friday and sat.

#80 7 years ago

Fri and Sat for me as well

#81 7 years ago

Will be there Wed-Sun, first time participant to the event, looking forward to it...

#82 7 years ago

Well, I was planning on going at least on thursday and hitting the Explosion on friday... But I may have a gig that weekend at Daytona Beach for racing.

#83 7 years ago

I'll be there and giving a seminar on Thursday afternoon. Don't miss our first T-Shirt raffle/giveaway!

TShirtLogo.jpg

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Heck it's worth coming back from the dead for Expo.

if that would be possible.. steve kordek will be around too and harvey heiss / sam stern / harry williams / joe joes / joe dillon and way more people which unfortunally passed away, a lot of names were responsible for pinball as it is now today!

never forget them id say.. i hope they have pinball on the other side.. rest in peace!

#85 7 years ago

but to be in the topic..and i Roy wils top 20 player in the world, and 1 of the best pinball arcade players.will be attending pinball expo 2013 for the whole duration of the show!

if u guys like to talk with me up there.. im around cheers

#86 7 years ago

I am going. I want to meet everyone! Track me down, I buy you a drink.

#87 7 years ago

Don't know how I completely missed this thread.....but yes I'm going (first time ever) and bringing fellow Pinsider tamoore with me. (I'll also be picking up my first EM machine )

#88 7 years ago

I guess the expo hotel is booked solid at this point?

Anyone have any good recommendations for alternative lodging?

Thanks.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from dfsays:

I've been struggling with the idea of spending the more than a little cash required to attend Pinball Expo this year in Wheeling, IL.
    It sounds awesome AND I could tour the Stern plant.
    PLUS, there's a gameroom open all night.
    It's this worth the trip from mid-Michigan?

If I traveled last year for Pin Wars in Flint MI from Carpentersville IL farther travel distance just for a tourney and I drove back the same damn day you can make this and should make it. Obviously you've already made your mind to come.

#90 7 years ago

I will be going Thursday and Friday only. If you are in it for the games or vibe only then I agree that MGC is WAY better and there is not even a question on this.

The seminars, pinball vendors, PBL tour, p-roc booth, and pinbrawl are what make Expo fun IMHO.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from DirtySouth:

I guess the expo hotel is booked solid at this point?

Anyone have any good recommendations for alternative lodging?

Thanks.

Look at the link. They list the Hyatt 7min as away as an alternate.
    https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=1304041208&key=90FDF

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

I am so into that too! At CAX I didn't realize one night they stayed open super late and I would have loved that since all the kids wouldn't be in there (no offense to kids, but they were everywhere!)

Hey I'm a kid

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from DutchTommy:

but to be in the topic..and i Roy wils top 20 player in the world, and 1 of the best pinball arcade players.will be attending pinball expo 2013 for the whole duration of the show!
    if u guys like to talk with me up there.. im around cheers

Id' like to talk with Roy Wils on stradegy in the pinball arcade and also tell him to stop kicking my ass! Haha I'm also usually in the top won the TZ tourney and almost 1st in star trek

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

For me, and others, the key to having fun at Expo, is being with people. You will get the most out of Expo by meeting up with other pinheads, spending time with them, and possibly having meals with them.
    There are lots of things to do at Expo, and machines to play, but that is only a part of the experiance. On a cost per game play, this may not work out, if that is what you are looking for.
    I would caution you, that others who travel alone, eat alone, and play alone, do not give reports of a good time.
    I have had the best of times at Expo for the last 7 years, and my only regret, was not going in the years before (when I first entered the hobby)
    Hope to see you there.
    Oh, and if you want to experiance Expo on a higher level, take a game, and meet up with the guys in the freeplay area who bring games too.

Exactly all events are more fun with friends and buddies. I felt that way in the beginning last year being just me but then my pinball tournament buddy's started showing up talk with the. From local area and then I brought my gf Saturday and had fun showing her all the great machines and vendor area. This year gonna get her in on flip out tourney see if she might get in the top 4. I never will be but finished in the 50s out of almost 150 I think so I had fun and did pretty good only playing a few games some guys spend all day playing.

#95 7 years ago

I will be there. This is my 2nd time attending expo and will be speaking on Thursday. More details:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/preview-of-my-pinball-design-seminar-at-expo-2013

Very excited!

-BB

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.00
    $ 29.95
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinshakers
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 37.50
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 30.00
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside