(Topic ID: 268296)

Transformer OK - Fan-Tas-Tic

By jclocomotion

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200510_171751 (resized).jpg
    20200510_172221 (resized).jpg
    20200510_172210 (resized).jpg
    20200510_171811 (resized).jpg
    20200510_171804 (resized).jpg
    20200510_155637 (resized).jpg
    20200510_121225 (resized).jpg
    20200510_115622 (resized).jpg
    20200510_105533 (resized).jpg
    20200510_105523 (resized).jpg
    20200510_105358 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I was having issues with the replay reel and couldn't work out why it wouldn't go down past number 18 but would go into the blank areas pics 1 & 2.
    I just couldn't figure it out so put it back in the head without realising that (pic 3) some of the contacts were being mashed.

Switched it back on again and the 24v 15a fuse blew. Here is were I made the mistake of trying to find out what caused it and just replaced the fuse with a new one. When I switched the pin on it was ok then I pressed the left flipper and all the head lamps went mega bright then nothing
    All the lamps have blown in the head and the game is dead.

Checked the transformer and getting 77V out of the 6v tap and 24v tap and 100v ish out of the high tap.

WHOOPS so it looks like I have blown the transformer and probably a load of other stuff but would like some expert help on this.

So just trying to get my head around the schematic to find out if this is the cause of the transformer giving out.

Not a good afternoon for me.

20200510_105358 (resized).jpg20200510_105358 (resized).jpg20200510_105523 (resized).jpg20200510_105523 (resized).jpg20200510_105533 (resized).jpg20200510_105533 (resized).jpg20200510_115622 (resized).jpg20200510_115622 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Your credit unit wheel is way below zero and the pin actuating switches is too far into the switch. Now the switch lighting credit lamp at apron is shorted to the other witch, which allows game to be started if there are credits. This causes the 24V to short to the 6V and blow your fuses.

Probably there is nothing wrong with the transformer, but you have measured incorrectly.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Your credit unit wheel is way below zero and the pin actuating switches is too far into the switch. Now the switch lighting credit lamp at apron is shorted to the other witch, which allows game to be started if there are credits. This causes the 24V to short to the 6V and blow your fuses.
    Probably there is nothing wrong with the transformer, but you have measured incorrectly.

I know that reply reel is not aligned properly and trying to get info on how to do that currently.
    Why am I measuring incorrectly as the all the taps are showing way above what VAC they should be putting out?

#4 3 years ago

The switches should both open when credits are at zero.

Don't know how you are measuring, but it is very unlikely that both voltages would be that high. Only thing that could cause too high voltage at transformer output is a short in primary winding, which would require serious overheating of transformer. And even then, the 24V reading should be about 4x the 6V reading. My guess is you are measuring against some floating ground point, maybe the earth connection of 230VAC.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

The switches should both open when credits are at zero.
    Don't know how you are measuring, but it is very unlikely that both voltages would be that high. Only thing that could cause too high voltage at transformer output is a short in primary winding, which would require serious overheating of transformer. And even then, the 24V reading should be about 4x the 6V reading. My guess is you are measuring against some floating ground point, maybe the earth connection of 230VAC.

I have sorted the replay reel and it's all setup how it should be and the way it has been setup is that it will go round to 14 before opening the contacts to reset it back to zero.

Re the transformer I don't have much knowledge when it comes to VAC transformers so in pic 1 and 2 where would I attach my meter to get a correct reading on the taps? There is no wire attched to the 24v tap. I know that there is 240v getting into it and all fuses are intact.
    Does it make any difference if the play-field is attached or not?

Really annoyed with myself for not checking what blew the fuse
    20200510_121225 (resized).jpg20200510_121225 (resized).jpg20200510_155637 (resized).jpg20200510_155637 (resized).jpg

#6 3 years ago

On the credit unit, there is one switch that opens when credits are at maximum. This can be adjusted by moving the pin that actuates the switch. Then there are the other rwo switches that open when credits are at zero. It is not adjustable. Also, there is a switch that actuates when a credit is added. That is driving the knocker coil.

Transformer voltage measurement should be done between the C terminal and the 6/24/high tap outputs, with your meter set at ACV. But remove the switch stack short (adjust the credit unit properly) before mesurements. You can measure the voltages even if the 24V or 6V fuses are not installed.

The coil voltage can be either 24V, or about 27V if the wire is moved from 24 to the high tap. I dont recommend using the high tap, since the game was designed for 220 volts input, and we are already at 230V. Cleaning playfield and all mechanisms should result in nice game play with no need to raise the voltage. High tap was really meant for cases of lower than normal line voltage.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

On the credit unit, there is one switch that opens when credits are at maximum. This can be adjusted by moving the pin that actuates the switch. Then there are the other rwo switches that open when credits are at zero. It is not adjustable. Also, there is a switch that actuates when a credit is added. That is driving the knocker coil.
    Transformer voltage measurement should be done between the C terminal and the 6/24/high tap outputs, with your meter set at ACV. But remove the switch stack short (adjust the credit unit properly) before mesurements. You can measure the voltages even if the 24V or 6V fuses are not installed.
    The coil voltage can be either 24V, or about 27V if the wire is moved from 24 to the high tap. I dont recommend using the high tap, since the game was designed for 220 volts input, and we are already at 230V. Cleaning playfield and all mechanisms should result in nice game play with no need to raise the voltage. High tap was really meant for cases of lower than normal line voltage.

Yup go the credit/replay unit thing in check now Assuming that it has been set to 13 credits/replays in it's current state?

Measured the transformer voltages as you suggested and thank you for the info and the pictures show the results, so it looks like the transformer is fine. Just don't know were to look now as the game is still dead when on and the play-field attached.
    Is there anywhere in the last 2 pics that I can test to see if the correct voltage is getting through. The fuse on the play-filed is also intact.
    Also should I move from the hi-tap to the 24v one?

I will assume that it's something very simple that is stopping this game fire up but just cannot see were it is
    20200510_171751 (resized).jpg20200510_171751 (resized).jpg20200510_171804 (resized).jpg20200510_171804 (resized).jpg20200510_171811 (resized).jpg20200510_171811 (resized).jpg20200510_172210 (resized).jpg20200510_172210 (resized).jpg20200510_172221 (resized).jpg20200510_172221 (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago

Just to be sure, once you power on, press the left flipper button. On Fan-Tas-Tic nothing comes on once you turn on power until you press the left flipper button or the credit button. If that does not work then you need to dig into the schematics and use a meter to find out where you are losing power.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheWiz:

Just to be sure, once you power on, press the left flipper button. On Fan-Tas-Tic nothing comes on once you turn on power until you press the left flipper button or the credit button. If that does not work then you need to dig into the schematics and use a meter to find out where you are losing power.

The transformer is humming as normal but the left flipper does nothing as before it used to light up a lot of the play-field and head lamps.
    I will check the bridge rectifier first and see if that has met it's end as I know the fuse is fine.

#10 3 years ago

Right finished work

I am getting more lost on the issue with this dead pin.
    The transformer is fine and the fuses are all in-tact

The credit/replay reel contact is closed so the game knows it has credits

I have no VAC on the bridge rectifier but have 7v dc on the other side that slowly goes down. The Bridge rectifier reads fine with a DMM

Can I ask for some advice on where to look next for this no power issue as I am having trouble getting to grips with the schematic

#11 3 years ago

The rectifier only gets power during game, not in game over state. 7V residual in filter capacitor from last game is normal. Why do you think there is a problem with the rectifier?

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

The rectifier only gets power during game, not in game over state. 7V residual in filter capacitor from last game is normal. Why do you think there is a problem with the rectifier?

That's my issue I am out of my depth on this.
    When the pin has power the left flipper does nothing so just not sure where to test next.

#13 3 years ago

Does the lock relay energize when you press the left button? Also, starting game or inserting coin should as well energize the relay. The power is on even with lock relay off, only the lamps are not powered. Since you shorted the 24V to 6V, all lamps may be burned out.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Does the lock relay energize when you press the left button? Also, starting game or inserting coin should as well energize the relay. The power is on even with lock relay off, only the lamps are not powered. Since you shorted the 24V to 6V, all lamps may be burned out.

No the lock relay doesn't energise when the left flipper button is pressed.
    When the issue occurred ALL the head lamps blew but the play-field is fine.

#15 3 years ago

Then your 24V fuse is probably open or not making contact with the holder. Does the score motor run if you manually turn it a bit forward? If not, then definitely the 24V is missing. And since 24V is present at transformer, it most certainly is the fuse.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Then your 24V fuse is probably open or not making contact with the holder. Does the score motor run if you manually turn it a bit forward? If not, then definitely the 24V is missing. And since 24V is present at transformer, it most certainly is the fuse.

I will check this tomorrow after work. I have tried moving the score motor and nothing happens.
    I will post pics the relevant voltages from the transformer etc.

Thanks for your help

#17 3 years ago

AFter more research and help from others I have noticed that the lock-out relay is not energising as well as the coin door one.

Not sure on the state the credit unit is currently in so will check to see if the contacts are open.

So when I get in from work today with see what happens if I manually activate the lockout relay with the credit unit showing a credit.

#18 3 years ago

The lock relay and coin lockout coil are not energizing because the 24V is missing. It has nothing to do with the lock relay or credit unit. Check the 24V fuse and holder.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from jclocomotion:

AFter more research and help from others I have noticed that the lock-out relay is not energising as well as the coin door one.
    Not sure on the state the credit unit is currently in so will check to see if the contacts are open.
    So when I get in from work today with see what happens if I manually activate the lockout relay with the credit unit showing a credit.

Last time I checked the fuse and holder had continuity. Checked the continuity between the fuse and the lock-out replay and that was fine. Checked the fuse holder and the fuse had blown!!!!!!!!!!!

All ok back up and running again so thanks for your help, talk about learning

Quoted from TheWiz:

Thank you for your help also

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoops-think-i-need-a-new-transformer-fan-tas-tic?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.