You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4290.JPG
IMG_4289.JPG
IMG_4288.JPG
#1 11 years ago

So I brought home my Cyclone the other day; couldn't be happier with it. Looks like it was fairly well taken care of. I posted a couple of pictures so far (other ones didn't come out so hot, so I'll try to get better ones later):

IMG_4288.JPGIMG_4288.JPG IMG_4289.JPGIMG_4289.JPG IMG_4290.JPGIMG_4290.JPG

In the last picture, I found out the reason that the left slingshot wasn't working. That and a couple of small issues arose that I have to take care of:

1. Regarding the left slingshot, I thought it was just a broken wire. Soldered it back on, turned the game on, ran the coil test, and cue the smoke! I'm now guessing that the wire didn't break so much as someone cut it. Going to have to try to figure that one out. No diode present on either slingshot coil, so I'm guessing maybe a bad transistor?

2. When doing the "all lamps" test, a bunch of lights on the right side of the backbox aren't lighting. That will take some investigating.

3. The "advance" service button doesn't seem to work; swtich itself feels funky. Looks like I need to replace the swtich itself.

Playfield has a lot of ball swirl and some wear areas down to the wood. I'll post some pictures of that later.

#2 11 years ago

congrats on the new addition.... watch out though, they tend to multiply

#3 11 years ago

Nice score!! Now you gotta get a Comet, to complement that puppy.

#4 11 years ago

Cyclone was the pin I played the most back in arcades. It was everywhere, so of course I had to get one. I do find it easy to play, now I am better at playing, but its just such a nostalgia trip. I have people over and they love the game as it is fun and they know what to do on it. So mine will not be going anywhere. Good luck fixing it up and hope you enjoy it.

#5 11 years ago

Good first pin. Congrats.

#6 11 years ago

Loved my Cyclone.
Make sure to grab some Mantis protectors for those ramps to keep them safe.
Awesome first pin. It's a solid game and tons of fun for hardcore players as well as newcomers.

#7 11 years ago

A great first pin! Congrats!~SpOoKy

#8 11 years ago

Congrats on your first pin!!!!

#9 11 years ago

Well done! And you came to the right place - there isn't anything pinball related these guys haven't seen or done or fixed!

#10 11 years ago

My first pin was a Comet (still have it) and I've been on the lookout for a cyclone ever since. Nice score.

#11 11 years ago

Congrats... the addition begins....

Sys 11 is a great first pin

#12 11 years ago

Congrats!

#13 11 years ago

Love my Cyclone. A great all around pin.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Sys 11 is a great first pin

+1 Good solid platform
Nice score and welcome to the addiction!

#15 11 years ago

I was hell bent to make Cyclone my first pin. Turned out to be my third, but that's the way life goes sometimes. Happy as hell to have it either way & hope I never need to let it go.
Simple & fun = simply fun!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from parkway:

1. Regarding the left slingshot, I thought it was just a broken wire. Soldered it back on, turned the game on, ran the coil test, and cue the smoke! I'm now guessing that the wire didn't break so much as someone cut it. Going to have to try to figure that one out. No diode present on either slingshot coil, so I'm guessing maybe a bad transistor?
2. When doing the "all lamps" test, a bunch of lights on the right side of the backbox aren't lighting. That will take some investigating.
3. The "advance" service button doesn't seem to work; swtich itself feels funky. Looks like I need to replace the swtich itself.
Playfield has a lot of ball swirl and some wear areas down to the wood. I'll post some pictures of that later.

1. Sounds like the coil is shorted. Put your multimeter in ohm test and see what is shows. 0.0 or 0.1 is dead coil. If tests ok then check the transistor.

Btw, you should test every coil in any game you purchase to check for shorted coils

2. Check the solder points on the backbox GI relay, looking for cold solder joints - or the gi connector on the mpu board

3. Replace switch

#17 11 years ago

Cyclone was my first pin also. I had my since 1996 and just sold it earlier this year. They were also every where in my area back in the late 80's and early 90's. A great, fun game.

#18 11 years ago

Nice to see another Westchester pinhead. Congrats on your new pin! On the GI lighting, check fuses first, then I would check the GI connector on the MPU as mentioned.

#19 11 years ago

Thanks, all. Good to see someone local too, Melbourne.

I should have checked the coils before I powered it on; lesson learned. I guess that wire was disconnected for a reason. Didn't seem to damage anything else as my son has been playing it (sans left slingshot) for hours with no problem. I'll have to get into it tonight to see about fuses, connectors, and such. The GI connectors didn't seem to be burned at all, but maybe I'll take them off and check them one by one to make sure. I also re-read Clay's repair guide so I have my plan of attack laid out to test the coil, transistor, and pre-driver. This will be a good learning experience for owning future machines.

I'll also get some pictures of the playfield tonight. Need some advice how to deal with a couple of wear spots. Thankfully though, all the ramps are in great shape (except for the end of the comet ramp which was broken and been repaired.....have a mantis kit on the way for that).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoo-hoo-cyclone-is-my-first and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.