(Topic ID: 306605)

Edit: Whoo-Boy the new Matrix movie is ok after all.

By TheFamilyArcade

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 301 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does this movie suck ass?”

• Yeah. 100% ass suckage. 73 votes
      62%
    • No (I’m wrong, but “no”) 18 votes
      15%
    • Eh, wasn’t so bad. 27 votes
      23%

(Multiple choice - 118 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TV hung 1 (resized).jpg
    571B7FB7-48B5-4A8B-AED2-9CCFDE43AB49.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    apron03 (resized).jpg
    apron03 (resized).jpg
    f276123fa279fa48 (resized).jpg
    5z4vx4 (resized).jpg
    milk-face-adult-woman-her-head-covered-38625518 (resized).jpg
    f9d.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheFamilyArcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

It’s a hot mess. Such a disappointment.

EDIT: eh, maybe I was too hasty. Upon second watching, and second/third/fourth thoughts and then some, I’ve decided it’s pretty ok.

No way it was going to live up to my expectations so I ended up being disappointed. Now that I’ve come to terms with the fact that I didn’t really know what I was expecting (besides epic awesomeness) I can watch it with truly fresh eyes and just take it in. And it’s better this way. Although still flawed.

My main problems are it’s too long, the fight scenes aren’t that great (and they’re also too long), and the “big plan” towards the end is pretty random and absurd…but there’s still a lot to like. And I do dig the message. Even more somehow since so many don’t.

A wise man changes his mind. A fool never does.

#54 2 years ago

I saw it at the theatre with my family.

With 20 minutes left my wife leans over and says “this is sooooo boring!”

My 16 year old son fell asleep.

My daughter will watch anything.

My comment at the end was “this makes Phantom Menace look like a masterpiece”.

It started off well. I was really curious where it was going. In retrospect, the plot and storyline was a poor choice. as the movie goes on its disjointed and full of completely random shit and absurdly staged scenes. Not to mention the required suspension of belief.

I thought the new SM was pretty mediocre, but still better than this. Matrix 4 is worse than every MCU except Antman & Wasp and Iron Man 3. And about as weak as Black Widow.

I was hoping for epic, and got epic shit.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

In a Matrix movie?!!? Those bastards!!!

There are degrees to this shit

I'll agree with that right there. "Let's head to the old dilapidated warehouse!"

Or the fountain by the sunny coastal waters. Or the cafe at the end.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Loved the first three. This one stunk. No plot development. No character development. Agent smith was a shallow shadow of self. Why did he help neo? Frenchman being back was cool but again he was more a monty python frenchman than a real nemesis. Ridiculous lines even for a bill and ted fan. Ugh….destroyed the franchise.

Spoilers!

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

I enjoyed it.
    Not as good as MI (what ever will be?), but on par with MII and MIII. Overlong, of course, but seeing the runtime, that was obvious, yes? And, since we already had HBOMax, the price was right.
    Always nice to spend more time in a favorite universe.

No way is this on par with II and III. I consider those decent sequels. IV is garbage.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It’s a hot mess. Such a disappointment.

Poll added!

And Xmen LE for sale or trade in market!

#70 2 years ago

What in the world is trans about matrix 4? I keep seeing references to it having a trans theme and message. I don’t see it. What about it is trans?

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Larry became Lana back in 2009 after a decade of rumors. Fair, okay, you may have been able to pick up on it in old pictures and rare interviews.
    Then suddenly Andy, the one who shares an uncanny resemblance to Kingpin from Daredevil, came out as Lilly in 2016. It was quite unexpected coming from Vincent D'Onofrio’s doppelgänger.
    Even AFTER they both came out as trans they denied the random weird twitter theory that the Matrix is actually a giant euphemism for being trans. Then after 20 years of expressly debunking it, they back-peddled last year and said it was actually about coming out the whole time and we were fooled.
    Kinda weird considering it’s a blatant steampunk Jesus Christ story. They aren’t even subtle about that either! The New Testament is actually an LGBTQQIP2SAA+ story (Yes, that’s the most current acronym) but nobody realized it this whole time, I guess. The Wachowski's already MADE a trans-themed show for Netflix. It bombed so now they’ve gotta backpedal to the Matrix to track and milk it some more.

I knew Larry became Lana. No clue about Lilly and certainly never heard about the whole story being a “trans” thing.

Hmm. Clearly there’s a message of tolerance and unity in M4. But linking it to the trans movement? I mean, I get it, but that’s thinking way too much, especially when the human/AI thing is right there in your face.

Is there a place in the matrix where the humans or machines can transfigure? Otherwise it’s a pretty big extended metaphor IMO, and not a very good one.

But it explains why Dave Chappell gets killed in the first 5 minutes (spoiler!).

1 week later
    #261 2 years ago

Hey! It’s gonna be OK after all! Edited first post to reflect the acceptability of M4!

#274 2 years ago

Well, all I can say is that I watched it again and I enjoyed it more. The new Morpheus has some swag to him!

Also, I actually didn’t like the first Matrix upon first viewing. I thought it was an over the top, overwrought, absurdist digitized Christ story with gratuitous violence and ridiculous fight scenes. In fact, during the lobby scene, my wife literally burst out laughing with all the guns and cartwheels and shell cases dropping to the floor in slow mo. Of course after I decided it was actually one of my favorite movies of all time, I started laughing too, at that same scene, but in ecstatic glee and wonder at the utter hubris of the writers and directors to conceive of and film it the way they did.

I’ll agree that I typically decide if I like or dislike movies pretty quickly, unllike say, music - or pinball! - where I almost always need to experience the song or pin multiple times to “get it” and see if I like it our not. Often I come to really like something I thought I hated.

Is what it is. Matrix Resurrections is far from perfect, but it’s not nearly the ass suck fest I thought at first.

Sometimes you need to clear the cache to experience something clean and clear. That’s what I did here and it paid off for me.

2 weeks later
    #299 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lateralus:

Such an interesting thread lol...
    OP creates a thread day of release saying it sucks, then rabble rabble rabble people defend it or agree with it, rabble rabble rabble, he goes back to watch 4 times more to make sure he doesn't like it, ends up liking it, calls himself a wise man because he changed his mind, then changes the title of the thread lol.
    It's just an alright movie. I've seen much better, and way worse. Nothing really to talk about more than that, IMO.
    If it's a Matrix story/lore thread to discuss, that's a whole different discussion (and thread), and one I would enjoy contributing to. Anyway, moving on. Have a good weekend everyone.
    TLDR; Movie was alright - nothing crazy. Thread is weird. Matrix idea is neat.

WRONG SIR! WRONG! I’ve watched the movie twice. 2 times. Not 5.

GOOD DAY SIR!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheFamilyArcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoo-boy-the-new-matrix-movie-sucks?tu=TheFamilyArcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.