(Topic ID: 306605)

Edit: Whoo-Boy the new Matrix movie is ok after all.

By TheFamilyArcade

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 301 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does this movie suck ass?”

• Yeah. 100% ass suckage. 73 votes
      62%
    • No (I’m wrong, but “no”) 18 votes
      15%
    • Eh, wasn’t so bad. 27 votes
      23%

(Multiple choice - 118 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TV hung 1 (resized).jpg
    571B7FB7-48B5-4A8B-AED2-9CCFDE43AB49.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    apron03 (resized).jpg
    apron03 (resized).jpg
    f276123fa279fa48 (resized).jpg
    5z4vx4 (resized).jpg
    milk-face-adult-woman-her-head-covered-38625518 (resized).jpg
    f9d.gif
    There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 2 years ago

OMG, I’m an hour into this thing & had to shut it off. WTF *IS* this?!??! The writing, the acting, the cinematography, the music…horrible….and the worst sin, boring.

Watch Cloud Atlas. You’ll see an amazing movie with great characters, great acting, amazing editing, beautiful music. Definitely the Wachawski’s best work - but they collaborated with director Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) & were adapting a great book. I have a feeling the extra talent they were working with & pulling from saved the day.

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

OMG, I’m an hour into this thing & had to shut it off. WTF *IS* this?!??! The writing, the acting, the cinematography, the music…horrible….and the worst sin, boring.
    Watch Cloud Atlas. You’ll see an amazing movie with great characters, great acting, amazing editing, beautiful music. Definitely the Wachawski’s best work - but they collaborated with director Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) & were adapting a great book. I have a feeling the extra talent they were working with & pulling from saved the day.

The real question is: Would you rather watch Matrix 4 or play Ghostbusters for an hour?

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

The real question is: Would you rather watch Matrix 4 or play Ghostbusters for an hour?

Dang, that’s an existential nightmare.

#104 2 years ago

Had 2 hours to kill today, so popped it on.

I actually liked it better than 2 or 3.

The action scenes were pretty lack luster in my opinion though and the story was weak sauce. Lot of canon from the first three movies was discarded and never explained why.

#105 2 years ago

Seems nobody liked Matrix 4 and most have said it was boring. So does this movie inspire JJP to make a Matrix pin? I’d base the pin entirely on the original film and prime characters.

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Seems nobody liked Matrix 4 and most have said it was boring. So does this movie inspire JJP to make a Matrix pin? I’d base the pin entirely on the original film and prime characters.

I liked it…a lot. Would love a JJP matrix pin and don’t mind being the only one

#107 2 years ago

Loved it, amazing film! Very entertaining and if you have HBO max it's a no brainer.

#108 2 years ago

Watched it on HBO,,, over two days,,, with many breaks. Yuck.

Wasn't expecting much, got even less.

#109 2 years ago

The whole family just looked at each other after the movie and went "meh...". Playing so many clips from the first movies got really old really fast. A few were ok but I was over it pretty early. 2/5 is all it gets from us and we're pretty forgiving and not hypercritical it just didn't impress us.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

with many breaks

Yeah, I had to do the same thing too. I couldn't sit there for the whole stretch without pausing for a bit at various intervals.

It's a good movie when I'm on the edge of my seat and glued to the screen. It's a bad movie when I have to pause it several times and checking messages and emails seems more interesting.

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Exactly. And we all knew this well enough. So while I can hardly argue with those who say Resurrection was complete garbage, I hold by my original review - it’s ok for what it is. Mindless popcorn entertainment for a few hours. Add on top of what you said the W’s track record of movies after the Matrix. Did you really think we were going to get epic reboot/sequel that would capture everything that makes the first one great? It’s just not going to happen.
    Look at Alien Covenant. How could it fail? It was by original director Ridley Scott, it was based on the awesome originals (2 in this case), you had better CGI to work with, etc.
    It was crap.
    Look at Mad Max Fury Road. Same damn thing. You had the original visionary George Miller, the continuation of an original epic story everyone loved, etc.
    It also was crap.
    You look at those two movies and you just think, if I could get Scott and Miller in a room, I would grab them by the neck and shake them, and say What were you thinking!?!?! You literally GAVE us the awesomeness of the originals born out of the creativity of your own head. How could you F it up so bad now?
    Some things just aren’t going to happen no matter how much we want it. I hate to say we should just encapsulate ourselves in a cocoon of nostalgia, but hey at least we have the originals to enjoy over and over again. They are so good, they never get old.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Like I said, some guys only have so much gas in the tank. The question is how far are they going to go before it runs out.
    Scott still has a fantastic eye for shots.. but his storytelling is for crap.
    Miller? Never forgive him for the bait and switch on the last Mad Max movie. Mad Max (and its genre) was also a product of the times to some degree.

Fury Road was cool, but it was “Mad Max Stories: Fury Road” it was basically just transitioning into a genre that doesn’t rely on Max. It could have worked if they didn’t screw the audience so hard by dangling Max on a stick and yanking him away near the finish line.

The movie was excellent, action was excellent and Max’s story was pretty decent until they sorta got lost at the end. Furiosa was a great character, she would have been fine if they made her the main star without Max.
    Miller straight up couldn’t decide who the movie was about

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Fury Road was cool, but it was “Mad Max Stories: Fury Road” it was basically just transitioning into a genre that doesn’t rely on Max. It could have worked if they didn’t screw the audience so hard by dangling Max on a stick and yanking him away near the finish line.
    The movie was excellent, action was excellent and Max’s story was pretty decent until they sorta got lost at the end Furiosa was a great character, she would have been fine if they made her the main star without Max.

The movie was always about Furiosa, it was a bait and switch.

People went to the movie to see Max, they got her instead.

And the next movie is about Furiosa as well.

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Watched it on HBO,,, over two days,,, with many breaks. Yuck.
    Wasn't expecting much, got even less.

I think because I went in expecting a poo show I'm more forgiving up it.

Literally nothing in the movie makes sense.

NPH make an excellent character though who helped carry the movie.

Agent Smith would have been more interesting with Hugo Weaving.

#114 2 years ago

Let me guess, it sucks because it is “ woke Hollywood crap “ again?

#115 2 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

It sucks because the story make no sense, disregards all prior canon and has lackluster action.

#116 2 years ago

While this isn't necessarily untrue, it's not the basis of suckdom in this case.

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

While this isn't necessarily untrue, it's not the basis of suckdom in this case.

Oh it's there at least more subtle than usual.

But not why the movie sucks.

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

5z4vx4 (resized).jpg5z4vx4 (resized).jpg
    #119 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I think because I went in expecting a poo show I'm more forgiving up it.
    Literally nothing in the movie makes sense.
    NPH make an excellent character though who helped carry the movie.
    Agent Smith would have been more interesting with Hugo Weaving.

You liked NPH? I enjoy his work when he's cast well, but I thought he was completely miscast in this and made for a terrible villain.

#120 2 years ago

Can't tell you how much I was looking forward to seeing this movie, as I am a huge Matrix fan. Still havn't had the opportunity as I wanted to go to the theater, but the reviews here are spoiling it for me. Still, The Matrix pin is my dream theme as long as it is based on the first movie.

Now, I just hope my other anticipated movie, Top Gun, isn't so disappointing.

#121 2 years ago

No, it just sucks because it sucks. It’s nostalgia bukkake & doesn’t understand what made the original great. Not that it has to recreate a formula, but if you’re going to do something different, it has to have something magical there & not just rely on “remember this” stuff. Same reason GB Afterlife sucked….but at least GBA was somewhat competent as a film.

#122 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

You liked NPH? I enjoy his work when he's cast well, but I thought he was completely miscast in this and made for a terrible villain.

He was just "the front man" for the powers that be and played the part well.

#123 2 years ago

I have seen the matrix movie maybe a dozen time. I watched 2 and 3 a couple of times each over the years. I even watched the Animatrix. This last one was a one viewing movie. Somehow the Special effects from 20 years ago were better. They made the robots cute... the Wachowski Brothers were much better storytellers than the Wachowski sisters are.

#124 2 years ago

My review of Matrix

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

The movie was excellent, action was excellent and Max’s story was pretty decent until they sorta got lost at the end Furiosa was a great character, she would have been fine if they made her the main star without Max.

Agree with your take on this. Furiosa was good, I had no problem with that character. But man I wanted to see Mad Max kick some ass. That didn’t happen. It just felt like an entire movie of Mad Max being beaten on. It is a visually entertaining movie for sure.

If you are craving some Mad Max, you can always revisit Mad Max and Road Warrior, and to a lesser extent, Thunderdome. The original one never gets old, I have watched that many times. And when you look at the way it was made, all with no CGI, it’s crazy.

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

My review of Matrix

Agree with your take on this. Furiosa was good, I had no problem with that character. But man I wanted to see Mad Max kick some ass. That didn’t happen. It just felt like an entire movie of Mad Max being beaten on. It is a visually entertaining movie for sure.
    If you are craving some Mad Max, you can always revisit Mad Max and Road Warrior, and to a lesser extent, Thunderdome. The original one never gets old, I have watched that many times. And when you look at the way it was made, all with no CGI, it’s crazy.

I never saw a Mad Max movie before I saw Fury Road…so - having zero expectations or series knowledge, I really enjoyed it. It’s the type of apeshit movie full of style & action that we really don’t see anymore from current films.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have seen the matrix movie maybe a dozen time. I watched 2 and 3 a couple of times each over the years. I even watched the Animatrix. This last one was a one viewing movie. Somehow the Special effects from 20 years ago were better. They made the robots cute... the Wachowski Brothers were much better storytellers than the Wachowski sisters are.

The Wachowskis have done enough to prove to me over the years that they can make a competent movie, which is why I kept wondering if this new matrix movie was torpedoed on purpose. It seems almost impossible that the same people could have made this movie. It's like if a seasoned band that played together for years got back together after twenty years and started playing garage band level crap. They know how to do better. Why aren't they?

#127 2 years ago

I see a lot of people saying they don't like the movie. Fair enough. I think, for most, you are wanting something more from the franchise at this point. Something I'm not convinced these writers can give us.

We've already explored the concept of "what is reality" to it's fullest in these films, now we need more. They hinted at it many times in the new movies, but frustratingly they didn't go there. What do any new scifi shows and movies about AI end up exploring? The evolution of the AI and what it means. The AI eventually eventually gains an emotional awareness and maturity overe time, it becomes more "human" in many different ways. In the Matrix movies, the AI are nothing more than prison guards, trapping us and exploiting us. But what is the end goal for them? Have they evolved into a real life form capable of growth, empathy, compassion and all the other traits we have or are they nothing more then dispassonate code with no real chance of growth beyond what they already have become? What are the goals of humanity in this fictional universe? There don't really seem to be any, although they hinted at the fact that people have just given up.

So much writing potential here, but instead we just get a movie about breaking through the AI reality again and a "love conquers all" theme. They did show the evolution of the AI to some degree, with humans working alongside some of them, but that's where it ended.

In the end, the movie was entertaining and I didn't hate it, just keep wanting more then they can give us.

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

My review of Matrix

The first two are soooo good. Love The Road Warrior the best - the last scene of the film was perfection.

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I never saw a Mad Max movie before I saw Fury Road…

This baffles me. Its like when every once in a while someone around my age says they never saw Star Wars. Like, I wonder if they grew up in some small little children of the corn type of town.

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The first two are soooo good. Love The Road Warrior the best - the last scene of the film was perfection.

The Road Warrior holds up to this day and all the stunts were live. An excellent sequel that surpasses the first movie which is a rare feat though Mad Max is still an enjoyable movie.

#131 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

An excellent sequel that surpasses the first movie which is a rare feat though Mad Max is still an enjoyable movie.

Lot like Alien vs Aliens...they're just totally diff'rent types of movies but both fantastic.

Quoted from vicjw66:

This baffles me

Literally watched it 50+ times as a kid.

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Lot like Alien vs Aliens...they're just totally diff'rent types of movies but both fantastic.

Literally watched it 50+ times as a kid.

I saw Mad Max, The Road Warrior. and Thunderdome in the theater with my dad. He had no problem taking his little sons to violent R rated movies. Also saw Road Warrior on VHS and cable at least 50 times as a kid.

#133 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I saw Mad Max, The Road Warrior. and Thunderdome in the theater with my dad. He had no problem taking his little sons to violent t rated movies.

Def saw Thunderome and I assume Road Warrior. My dad recorded everything off cable so he had a huge library of shit I watched constantly.

First R i remember my dad taking me to was 1981 Neighbors. a bit of a weird one for a kid

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

This baffles me. Its like when every once in a while someone around my age says they never saw Star Wars. Like, I wonder if they grew up in some small little children of the corn type of town.

Can’t explain it. I pretty much saw every movie in the 80s - went to the theater every week and watched tons on HBO. A few slipped through the cracks, and the few times I’ve tried to watch the original Mad Max, I just get really bored and turn it off lol. Maybe I’ll try again one day.

Quoted from vicjw66:

I saw Mad Max, The Road Warrior. and Thunderdome in the theater with my dad. He had no problem taking his little sons to violent R rated movies. Also saw Road Warrior on VHS and cable at least 50 times as a kid.

My grandma took me to see Robocop when I was 10 lol. My dad took me to Nightmare on Elm St. 3: Dream Warriors

#135 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

A few slipped through the cracks...

There's always a couple. I've never seen Labyrinth & didnt see Xmas Vacation till a year or 2 ago.

#136 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I only saw the first two on Showtime/HBO/Select TV - whatever format it was that we had at the time. I did see Thunderdome in the theater and I can remember how disappointed we were at it.

I can't imagine The Road Warrior on the big screen - bet that would have been awesome.

#137 2 years ago

We’re about to sit down in our new home theatre and chose Dune over Matrix .The Matrix trailers turned me off .Dune seems mixed and I’ll take that .

#138 2 years ago

Either way fun night !

#139 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

We’re about to sit down in our new home theatre and chose Dune over Matrix .The Matrix trailers turned me off .Dune seems mixed and I’ll take that .

Dune was good.

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Dune was really good. I thought it would be boring or confusing based on its cinematic history - but I really enjoyed it & am looking forward to Part 2.

#141 2 years ago

Dune was boring but really good. Enjoyed it. Matrix is awesome. Seems like those that didn’t like it, didn’t get it? To be fair, You gotta understand matrix 2&3 to get the 4th.

Edit: I think a lot of people are stuck on how good Matrix 1 was, that they forgot there’s a whole story outside of the matrix.

#142 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dune was boring but really good. Enjoyed it. Matrix is awesome. Seems like those that didn’t like it, didn’t get it? To be fair, You gotta understand matrix 2&3 to get the 4th.
    Edit: I think a lot of people are stuck on how good Matrix 1 was, that they forgot there’s a whole story outside of the matrix.

You can get it and still think it sucks. How can you find Dune boring but not Faketrix 4?!

#143 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Dune was good.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Dune was really good.

I thought Dune was one of the best remake/retake of an old movie I've seen in many years.

#144 2 years ago

I am going to watch both. AT THE SAME TIME. JK JK
    But I will watch them both.

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You can get it and still think it sucks. How can you find Dune boring but not Faketrix 4?!

Hey I said it was boring but really good…just not as good as the matrix
    Seriously, took me 4 times to get through dune. Despite that, it was really good.

#146 2 years ago

I stopped over half way thru Dune, it was good and ill get back to it, but its really not that exciting if you've know lynch's Dune really well; its pretty much scene for scene remake & the actors are almost all a bit of a downgrade.

#147 2 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I only saw the first two on Showtime/HBO/Select TV - whatever format it was that we had at the time. I did see Thunderdome in the theater and I can remember how disappointed we were at it.
    I can't imagine The Road Warrior on the big screen - bet that would have been awesome.

I was only 6 or 7 when I saw Mad Max in the theater and only remember being sad about Goose getting burned up, and the guy hacking through his leg instead of the handcuffs. That may be a false memory or else maybe it was deemed too graphic and future versions of the film cut that scene, because I have never seen it in later showings.

The Road Warrior was incredible in the theater. One of my all time favorite movie experiences as a kid. Beyond Thunderdome was a bit of a disappointment, especially the second half with those annoying Captain Walker clan members. Didn’t like Max with his long graying hair. The weird looking pilot playing a different character in Thunderdome was confusing to me and I didn’t like it. Like, why didn’t they recognize each other? Blaster and the thunder dome was cool though.

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Beyond Thunderdome was a bit of a disappointment, especially the second half with those annoying Captain Walker clan members. Didn’t like Max with his long graying hair. The weird looking pilot playing a different character in Thunderdome was confusing to me and I didn’t like it. Like, why didn’t they recognize each other? Blaster and the thunder dome was cool though.

It was absolute garbage. The thunderdome theme itself could have had something there, but the movie was shit.

I don't consider Fury Road a Mad Max movie as Mel wasn't in it and neither was Max.

#149 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I was only 6 or 7 when I saw Mad Max in the theater and only remember being sad about Goose getting burned up, and the guy hacking through his leg instead of the handcuffs. That may be a false memory or else maybe it was deemed too graphic and future versions of the film cut that scene, because I have never seen it in later showings.
    The Road Warrior was incredible in the theater. One of my all time favorite movie experiences as a kid. Beyond Thunderdome was a bit of a disappointment, especially the second half with those annoying Captain Walker clan members. Didn’t like Max with his long graying hair. The weird looking pilot playing a different character in Thunderdome was confusing to me and I didn’t like it. Like, why didn’t they recognize each other? Blaster and the thunder dome was cool though.

I don’t think it ever showed him cutting his leg. Max tosses him the hacksaw and your mind does the rest. Max walks off, gets in his car and drives away, and then boom Johnny’s dead. Absolutely classic. Just an amazing movie, but definitely pretty damn dark. Also amazing, he made the whole movie for something like $400,000.

I didn’t know this until recently, the version Americans are familiar with was overdubbed with a lot of American accents. I need to find a version with the original sound to watch.

#150 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

... I need to find a version with the original sound to watch.

'Merican version is completely unacceptable

There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoo-boy-the-new-matrix-movie-sucks/page/3?hl=xdetroit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.