(Topic ID: 306605)

Edit: Whoo-Boy the new Matrix movie is ok after all.

By TheFamilyArcade

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 301 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does this movie suck ass?”

• Yeah. 100% ass suckage. 73 votes
      62%
    • No (I’m wrong, but “no”) 18 votes
      15%
    • Eh, wasn’t so bad. 27 votes
      23%

(Multiple choice - 118 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TV hung 1 (resized).jpg
    571B7FB7-48B5-4A8B-AED2-9CCFDE43AB49.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    apron03 (resized).jpg
    apron03 (resized).jpg
    f276123fa279fa48 (resized).jpg
    5z4vx4 (resized).jpg
    milk-face-adult-woman-her-head-covered-38625518 (resized).jpg
    f9d.gif
    There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

My go-to bad movies: both of the Machete movies are awesome to watch and laugh. Both are purposely so bad that it's funny

Let me introduce you to Neil Breen.

rd

#52 2 years ago

Nooooooooo
    That’s not what I wanted to hear

#53 2 years ago

I'm having flashbacks of the Dune Movie thread. Guess no matter what is made these days is absolutely crap.

#54 2 years ago

I saw it at the theatre with my family.

With 20 minutes left my wife leans over and says “this is sooooo boring!”

My 16 year old son fell asleep.

My daughter will watch anything.

My comment at the end was “this makes Phantom Menace look like a masterpiece”.

It started off well. I was really curious where it was going. In retrospect, the plot and storyline was a poor choice. as the movie goes on its disjointed and full of completely random shit and absurdly staged scenes. Not to mention the required suspension of belief.

I thought the new SM was pretty mediocre, but still better than this. Matrix 4 is worse than every MCU except Antman & Wasp and Iron Man 3. And about as weak as Black Widow.

I was hoping for epic, and got epic shit.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Not to mention the required suspension of belief.

In a Matrix movie?!!? Those bastards!!!

...and absurdly staged scenes.

I'll agree with that right there. "Let's head to the old dilapidated warehouse!"

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

love how there is no inspiration in films ....
    how many remakes are required !

Clearly you did not watch Resurrections

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

I'm having flashbacks of the Dune Movie thread. Guess no matter what is made these days is absolutely crap.

Did you watch Dune? I'm not the typical target movie going audience but that's one of the best big budget movies I've seen in ages.

To each their own but it's seemingly well received by critics and the general public at large.

Perhaps your comment is more that there is no pleasing everyone.

f9d.giff9d.gif
    #58 2 years ago

I'll have to agree, it was kind of a letdown.

Almost 20 years since the last one and this is the best that they could come up with. Sigh.

I agree, Jupiter Ascending was terrible too. I wanted to like it, but it was ridiculous and the characters weren't even likable.

An interesting breakdown on why Jupiter Ascending was bad, and what made the original matrix successful:

#59 2 years ago

I was underwhelmed right after watching it last night, but it stuck in my brain, and I have to say I think it had some really great ideas. There are a couple of dorky scenes, but they poked fun of themselves pretty well several times, and man the whole thing did come together in a FAR more epic story than I think they had the budget for (also don’t forget they got shut down by COVID twice)

the couple of friends I talked to about it were disappointed there weren’t more fight scenes, but did we really need more CGI Neo bashing through 1000 bad guys? I’m just glad there was some thought put into the story - felt very “now” given the whole Matrix Online part, I thought that was both obvious and genius

#60 2 years ago

They wrote the agents out and changed them to bots. That was lazy, too. It was probably done so they could use extras instead of casting agents and having to do the agent transformation effects. It means there is no major antagonist chasing them throughout the movie. Just extras who looked like they maybe had a few minutes of fake fight school.

#61 2 years ago

I enjoyed it.

Not as good as MI (what ever will be?), but on par with MII and MIII. Overlong, of course, but seeing the runtime, that was obvious, yes? And, since we already had HBOMax, the price was right.

Always nice to spend more time in a favorite universe.

#62 2 years ago

Loved the first three. This one stunk. No plot development. No character development. Agent smith was a shallow shadow of self. Why did he help neo? Frenchman being back was cool but again he was more a monty python frenchman than a real nemesis. Ridiculous lines even for a bill and ted fan. Ugh….destroyed the franchise.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Loved the first three. This one stunk. No plot development. No character development. Agent smith was a shallow shadow of self. Why did he help neo? Frenchman being back was cool but again he was more a monty python frenchman than a real nemesis. Ridiculous lines even for a bill and ted fan. Ugh….destroyed the franchise.

It's one good movie and three awful ones! This is clearly a franchise that needed to be destroyed which is probably the whole point of the movie.

Def getting fired up to watch this one later!

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

In a Matrix movie?!!? Those bastards!!!

There are degrees to this shit

I'll agree with that right there. "Let's head to the old dilapidated warehouse!"

Or the fountain by the sunny coastal waters. Or the cafe at the end.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Spoilers!

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

I enjoyed it.
    Not as good as MI (what ever will be?), but on par with MII and MIII. Overlong, of course, but seeing the runtime, that was obvious, yes? And, since we already had HBOMax, the price was right.
    Always nice to spend more time in a favorite universe.

No way is this on par with II and III. I consider those decent sequels. IV is garbage.

#67 2 years ago

It’s a hot mess. Such a disappointment.

Poll added!

And Xmen LE for sale or trade in market!

#68 2 years ago

I saw it in the theater today and enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting Asimov level Sci-Fi from anything that's 4th in a series.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If anyone thought a trans theme, trans made film on 2021 would do well on Pinside i have no idea what to say to that This site lost their shit over Laura Dern having purple hair in SW FFS

Her character was awful, regardless of hair.
    Don’t assume too much, these films can simply be underwhelming - trans or otherwise.
    I’ll stream it, just not over the holidays.

#70 2 years ago

What in the world is trans about matrix 4? I keep seeing references to it having a trans theme and message. I don’t see it. What about it is trans?

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Her character was awful, regardless of hair.

Fuck man they were all awfull!
    Carrie Fisher's daughter was the worst though.
    The purple hair was mentioned constantly, it was very weird. Then again. That whole thread was weird.

#72 2 years ago

I thought the movie was great! But what do I know? I’m a fan of the story and series, and felt this brought full circle to an ending showing that they did in fact break the loop cycle.

#73 2 years ago

What about it is trans?

Dude, the Matrix was Raw-dogging Neo to forget his past and make a game called "Binary" for god sakes. Its the old thinking that kept Zion down, having to pick one side or the other instead of both.

#74 2 years ago

What in the world is trans about matrix 4? I keep seeing references to it having a trans theme and message. I don’t see it. What about it is trans?

Larry became Lana back in 2009 after a decade of rumors. Fair, okay, you may have been able to pick up on it in old pictures and rare interviews.

Then suddenly Andy, the one who shares an uncanny resemblance to Kingpin from Daredevil, came out as Lilly in 2016. It was quite unexpected coming from Vincent D'Onofrio’s doppelgänger.

Even AFTER they both came out as trans they denied the random weird twitter theory that the Matrix is actually a giant euphemism for being trans. Then after 20 years of expressly debunking it, they back-peddled last year and said it was actually about coming out the whole time and we were fooled.

Kinda weird considering it’s a blatant steampunk Jesus Christ story. They aren’t even subtle about that either! The New Testament is actually an LGBTQQIP2SAA+ story (Yes, that’s the most current acronym) but nobody realized it this whole time, I guess. The Wachowski's already MADE a trans-themed show for Netflix. It bombed so now they’ve gotta backpedal to the Matrix to try and milk it some more.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Larry became Lana back in 2009 after a decade of rumors. Fair, okay, you may have been able to pick up on it in old pictures and rare interviews.
    Then suddenly Andy, the one who shares an uncanny resemblance to Kingpin from Daredevil, came out as Lilly in 2016. It was quite unexpected coming from Vincent D'Onofrio’s doppelgänger.
    Even AFTER they both came out as trans they denied the random weird twitter theory that the Matrix is actually a giant euphemism for being trans. Then after 20 years of expressly debunking it, they back-peddled last year and said it was actually about coming out the whole time and we were fooled.
    Kinda weird considering it’s a blatant steampunk Jesus Christ story. They aren’t even subtle about that either! The New Testament is actually an LGBTQQIP2SAA+ story (Yes, that’s the most current acronym) but nobody realized it this whole time, I guess. The Wachowski's already MADE a trans-themed show for Netflix. It bombed so now they’ve gotta backpedal to the Matrix to track and milk it some more.

I knew Larry became Lana. No clue about Lilly and certainly never heard about the whole story being a “trans” thing.

Hmm. Clearly there’s a message of tolerance and unity in M4. But linking it to the trans movement? I mean, I get it, but that’s thinking way too much, especially when the human/AI thing is right there in your face.

Is there a place in the matrix where the humans or machines can transfigure? Otherwise it’s a pretty big extended metaphor IMO, and not a very good one.

But it explains why Dave Chappell gets killed in the first 5 minutes (spoiler!).

#76 2 years ago

They went too "meta". But it was the 4th best matrix movie.

#77 2 years ago

There have been some pretty blatant Trans images in the matrix movies. I think he first movie there was literally a character called switch that was female in the real world but male in the matrix.

My "sister" used to be my brother and loves these movies and has pointed out how "pro trans" they all are.

#78 2 years ago

terrible

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Agent smith was a shallow shadow of self. Why did he help neo?

Huge spoiler. Look away.

Smith was under control of the Analyst. His new program was to keep Thomas content in the new matrix created by the Analyst. When Bug and friends tried to bust Neo out the first time and failed it triggered Smiths memory. (That moment he called Thomas Mr. Anderson and shot him)

During the scene with the exiles, Smith gave Neo the ultimatum to leave and never come back to the matrix. "I won't have this leash on me again"

He helped Neo later because they both were prisoners of the Analyst (that thing he and Neo had in common with eachother) and Smith wanted to be free. To do what is the cliffhanger, I guess. But after helping him he said "here is where our alliance ends" then escapes. Leaving the door open for more story (God help us).

#80 2 years ago

Thank God it's not just me. I thought the movie was really, really bad. However, I went looking for reviews after the fact and they're mostly positive or lukewarm. Are people afraid to say they don't like this movie? After a while I started thinking they spiked it on purpose. The whole movie felt like it was made at gunpoint.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

nostalgia bukkake

Well you can't unsee that mind image... lol
    p.s. it's milk...

milk-face-adult-woman-her-head-covered-38625518 (resized).jpgmilk-face-adult-woman-her-head-covered-38625518 (resized).jpg
    #82 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

There have been some pretty blatant Trans images in the matrix movies. I think he first movie there was literally a character called switch that was female in the real world but male in the matrix.
    My "sister" used to be my brother and loves these movies and has pointed out how "pro trans" they all are.

Spoiler:

And "The One" kind of becomes a woman at the end.

Hey I was was mildly amused by this movie but as I've said I barely remember the old ones. I thought all the "meta" stuff was hilarious and telling.

#83 2 years ago

Let’s be honest the Wachowski‘s are hacks, the only really great film they made was The Matrix and looking at what they did afterwards that was likely a fluke.

#84 2 years ago

I’ll download it and half watch while I work.

That’s the best I can do.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Let’s be honest the Wachowski‘s are hacks, the only really great film they made was The Matrix and looking at what they did afterwards that was likely a fluke.

Ding ding.

#86 2 years ago

Thought it was whatever. Curious about people bagging on it being too ‘meta’ though… it is literally the entire point of the series.

#87 2 years ago

I thought it was very okay. Kind of boring. Very confusing on what the hell is it?

Mortal Komwatcharapong was the surprise of the year for me as it was fun.

#88 2 years ago

This movie never had a chance for me. I loved Matrix 1. I don't think I'd ever anticipated a movie more than Matrix Reloaded. Mrs. Rondogg put it best when walking out of that movie: "Matrix Reloaded, yeah, reloaded with crap!" She doesn't say a lot of funny things but that line killed me!

So yeah, #3 and #4 never really had a chance with me. The real disturbing thing is that, with introducing all these new characters, a new set of movies, shows is likely on the horizon.

#89 2 years ago

The Matrix is one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time.

The rest of the movies are simply action films coasting off the original’s fumes.

None more blatantly so than this latest one.

#90 2 years ago

I actually liked Reloaded and Revolutions. They're not as good as the first movie, but over time I've come to appreciate them. If nothing else, they're very well developed and deliberate movies that make you feel like the filmmakers put a lot of time and care into crafting the story and the world around it. This new movie feels really sloppy.

You can tell the writing is bad because they had to constantly insert shots from the old films to tell you what they're referencing.

I honestly do not know how they thought casting Neil Patrick Harris as the new villain would be a good idea. All the monologging made it feel like a parody.

If they're going to recast Agent Smith, couldn't the guy at least try to act like him? How hard is that? I had to keep reminding myself that it was supposed to be Smith.

#91 2 years ago

Absolutely terrible movie. Confusing as all hell…..didn’t clearly explain the whole “new Matrix”…..and all of a sudden Neo can’t fly? This movie is a hot mess. Special effects/fighting/chase scenes are just bad. They are no where near the original films. It was very slow and boring for the most part. The plot actually is good but not executed/told very well. Hollywood is dead…very few good new movies as far as blockbusters.

But there is a huge shift….so many streaming channels and many making their own movies/shows. Disney is flooding us with too much Marvel/Star Wars crap so it’s not special anymore and becoming another generic show. Sometimes less is more…..there can be too much of a good thing.

#92 2 years ago

Somehow even more unnecessary than 2 and 3.

Disappointing.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

The Matrix is one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time.
    The rest of the movies are simply action films coasting off the original’s fumes.
    None more blatantly so than this latest one.

That’s the annoying thing with this latest entry, how can it be so difficult to make a sequel to the first film that’s actually good!?

The storyline was fairly simple in the first but interesting and deep enough you could get invested in it, the action ignoring it was ground breaking at the time was fantastic, that lobby scene still holds up today as an amazing scene.

It really shouldn’t have been hard to make at least one good sequel, stream line the story by cutting all the bollocks and nonsense out of reloaded and there’s a good movie there, whether you like the 2nd or not the majority of the action scenes where brilliant.

There’s some cool moments and fights albeit brief in resurrections but it’s all the other crap that throws it off track.

Cool fights, crazy physics, overly complex and visually stunning choreography is all you really need in a matrix film oh and guns, lots of guns

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

That’s the annoying thing with this latest entry, how can it be so difficult to make a sequel to the first film that’s actually good!?
    The storyline was fairly simple in the first but interesting and deep enough you could get invested in it, the action ignoring it was ground breaking at the time was fantastic, that lobby scene still holds up today as an amazing scene.
    It really shouldn’t have been hard to make at least one good sequel, stream line the story by cutting all the bollocks and nonsense out of reloaded and there’s a good movie there, whether you like the 2nd or not the majority of the action scenes where brilliant.
    There’s some cool moments and fights albeit brief in resurrections but it’s all the other crap that throws it off track.
    Cool fights, crazy physics, overly complex and visually stunning choreography is all you really need in a matrix film oh and guns, lots of guns

Some people have only so much gas in the tank.

They make 10 great moves... or one.

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Jupiter Ascending was ATROCIOUS and the only thing the Wachowski’s are good at is stealing ideas and repackaging them as their own.

They’re pretty good at unpackaging as well.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

The original Matrix was exceptional primarily because the special effects were so unique and revolutionary at the time. Not sure if the credit for the first movie being light years better than the sequels should go to the Wachowski’s or the special effects team.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from iluvak9:

The original Matrix was exceptional primarily because the special effects were so unique and revolutionary at the time. Not sure if the credit for the first movie being light years better than the sequels should go to the Wachowski’s or the special effects team.

Agree, it did have a good storyline too. As it unfolds, you’re not sure what the Matrix is, what’s “real” or not, WTF the deal is with the phone calls, etc. its a movie that didn’t build itself on tropes, it invented new tropes. If you look at it now, the second and third were pretty decent all in all. But, they couldn’t replicate the newness of the original, just leverage off of it.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from iluvak9:

Both imo, the first is shot perfectly, the action was amazing, the storyline was good too, it was pretty interesting and it was intriguing what is or isn’t the matrix.

They just went crazy with all the architect stuff in reloaded and revolutions was just a convoluted mess, the success of the matrix allowed them free reign which was their downfall. Remove the architect nonsense and all the Zion crap (which did anyone care about?) and reloaded is pretty good, that highway chase never gets old. Revolutions was pretty much shit!

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Both imo, the first is shot perfectly, the action was amazing, the storyline was good too, it was pretty interesting and it was intriguing what is or isn’t the matrix.
    They just went crazy with all the architect stuff in reloaded and revolutions was just a convoluted mess, the success of the matrix allowed them free reign which was their downfall. Remove the architect nonsense and all the Zion crap (which did anyone care about?) and reloaded is pretty good, that highway chase never gets old. Revolutions was pretty much shit!

Exactly. And we all knew this well enough. So while I can hardly argue with those who say Resurrection was complete garbage, I hold by my original review - it’s ok for what it is. Mindless popcorn entertainment for a few hours. Add on top of what you said the W’s track record of movies after the Matrix. Did you really think we were going to get epic reboot/sequel that would capture everything that makes the first one great? It’s just not going to happen.

Look at Alien Covenant. How could it fail? It was by original director Ridley Scott, it was based on the awesome originals (2 in this case), you had better CGI to work with, etc.

It was crap.

Look at Mad Max Fury Road. Same damn thing. You had the original visionary George Miller, the continuation of an original epic story everyone loved, etc.

It also was crap.

You look at those two movies and you just think, if I could get Scott and Miller in a room, I would grab them by the neck and shake them, and say What were you thinking!?!?! You literally GAVE us the awesomeness of the originals born out of the creativity of your own head. How could you F it up so bad now?

Some things just aren’t going to happen no matter how much we want it. I hate to say we should just encapsulate ourselves in a cocoon of nostalgia, but hey at least we have the originals to enjoy over and over again. They are so good, they never get old.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

You look at those two movies and you just think, if I could get Scott and Miller in a room, I would grab them by the neck and shake them, and say What were you thinking!?!?! You literally GAVE us the awesomeness of the originals born out of the creativity of your own head. How could you F it up so bad now?

Like I said, some guys only have so much gas in the tank. The question is how far are they going to go before it runs out.

Scott still has a fantastic eye for shots.. but his storytelling is for crap.

Miller? Never forgive him for the bait and switch on the last Mad Max movie. Mad Max (and its genre) was also a product of the times to some degree.

There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoo-boy-the-new-matrix-movie-sucks/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.