(Topic ID: 261847)

Whole row triggering on my LOTR....Help?

By system11band

5 days ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
2020-02-13 12.26.17 (resized).jpg

#1 5 days ago

Long time lurker but I really need some help with my Lord of the Rings.

My third from the bottom row fires all the switches in that row when any switch in that row is hit.

The row stays On for a bit and then turns Off.

It is as if when a switch in that row is hit, it locks on for a good 30 or so seconds and then finally goes off.

I could not find any loose wires when inspecting the switches in that row. I am not sure if the issue is under the playfield or at the boards.

Any help would be appreciated very much.

J

#2 5 days ago
Quoted from system11band:

My third from the bottom row fires all the switches in that row when any switch in that row is hit.
It is as if when a switch in that row is hit, it locks on for a good 30 or so seconds and then finally goes off.
I could not find any loose wires when inspecting the switches in that row. I am not sure if the issue is under the playfield or at the boards.
J[quoted image]

For me on LOTR when I was having switch matrix issues, I found the chip under the battery holder being loose and or along with some green fuzz in the chip socket right under that battery holder to be some of the issue with My game... I had a gremlin in it and did a ton of suggestions to get rid of Switch issues, but have found this Chip to be the area to look at if other areas don't get you to the promise land.

#3 4 days ago

Thanks Coz. I will take a look at it.

#4 4 days ago
Quoted from system11band:

J[quoted image]

I had a similar issue In my IJ. Turns out a a switch lug was touching metal....

#5 4 days ago

Reseat the connector on the board for those switches if that doesn’t clear things up then Test the diodes starting with the first switch in that row

#6 4 days ago

Ok I looked at the chips by the battery holder and all look good.

All switch lugs look good.

Re-seating did not help. I cleaned the pins and connectors and no luck either

All diodes are testing just fine as well.

Is there a way to determine if the issue is on the board or in the wiring/switches?

Will post a video as well of the issue.

2020-02-13 12.26.17 (resized).jpg
#7 4 days ago

Ok I got a video of what is happening when I hit one of the switches.

All I did was hit the right sling shot once and let it go. I did not hold it but it is like the switches lock on and then eventually turn off.

#8 4 days ago

nevermind, I see you tested all the diodes

#9 4 days ago

Is there a way to determine if the issue is on the board or in the wiring/switches?

YES!

unplug both CN5 and CN7 which are the switch columns/rows from the playfield

jumper between CN5 pin 9 and CN7 pin 3 - right sling shot

this should tell you if board or playfield related

Cheers Bob

#10 3 days ago

Thanks pinballtoys

Ugggghhhh. Looks like a board issue Any ideas where to go from here?

#11 3 days ago

just to double check that you don't need a diode when jumper between CN5 and CN7
jumper between CN5 pin 9 and CN7 pin 5 and check you only get a single switch made, #61

maybe checkout U400 (LM339), schematics in manual

cheers Bob

#12 3 days ago

had a similar issue with a different machine , ended up being the transistor was blown , check the resistance of the u401 transistor for that row, if dramatically different from the adjacent ones it needs replacement .

I think I recall this to be true but are the 2 switches on column 4 a normally closed status?

#13 3 days ago

I confirmed that the other switch pins work just fine (hope all the videos are ok, figure easier to see what I am doing)

#14 3 days ago

okay, so definitely on cpu board and not play-field

checkout U401 (LM339), schematics in manual
if it were my game/problem i'd change U401
part of it reads row 6 (CN7-P3)
its possible the right slingshot coil voltage may have connected to this switch row!

cheers Bob

#15 2 days ago
Quoted from pinballtoys:

just to double check that you don't need a diode when jumper between CN5 and CN7

you wouldn't as you are only driving a single row with a single column.

Quoted from pinballtoys:

checkout U401 (LM339), schematics in manual

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside