• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
AA1030A8-4F13-423B-9C86-B1A4C1014648 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Well I dread posting this knowing there are other threads, but I really could not find any that addresses my issue.

The slot reels are stuttering. (Attached vid)

- I checked the reels and validated they were not spinning on the motor shaft. I mad a mark on the shaft to ensure it wasn’t the reel spinning on the shaft. Hard to see in video buy it validated it’s the motor. (See vid)

- I also pulled the motor rotor out to look for metal shavings and did find a lot
- I also notice there was some sort of maybe brass bushing in the middle of the rotor. (Attached pic)
- it seems to be falling apart, only a few pieces left. I am not exactly sure if it’s a bushing.
- looking for ideas on how to repair it and even if it’s a busing.

AA1030A8-4F13-423B-9C86-B1A4C1014648 (resized).jpegAA1030A8-4F13-423B-9C86-B1A4C1014648 (resized).jpeg

- I did check the i out voltage to the three motor control boards, all had 12V
- the output voltage to the motor when activated was 3.8v but it’s pulsing so I don’t think my meter is reading right.

The one I pulled the stator out on and cleaned is now worse than it was.

I know these motors are considered unobtanium, so I desperately want to fix.

I still am not 100% sure what was/is causing the shuddering. Hard to believe all three would crap out around the same time.

Thoughts? Anyone “rebuild” the motors?

#3 3 years ago

Thanks, I had read some threads saying they are no longer made. Any thoughts on the odds 3 motors are acting up? Seems a little low probability.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Thanks, I had read some threads saying they are no longer made. Any thoughts on the odds 3 motors are acting up? Seems a little low probability.

Honestly, I'd order one of them and see if that reel behaves better. If not, return. If so order two more. If I had a Who dunnit with the slot machine still in it, that is what I would do. Once the old motors are out you can fix them in peace, with time at hand etcetc.

#5 3 years ago

After looking at my videos, etc... do folks think the motors are the issue or is it something else? I tried to detail what I have checked.

#6 3 years ago

Had a similar issue on my dad's who dunnit. From what I remember, the root cause was that the reel was slightly out of alignment. There are some set screws that can help tweak the alignment a little - look on the side of the reel where metal meets metal. I would recommend getting the reels lower away from the reel window. I also remember cleaning out all of the optos with compressed air and cleaning all of the motor connectors with isopropyl alcohol. Don't have the stutter issue anymore. However it was not as pronounced as what you are seeing and it was only on one reel.

#7 3 years ago

Did the problem happen all of a sudden or was the slot machine unreliable from the start and got worse? I had issues with my slot machine and there was cracks by where the reel attaches to the shaft from former over tightening. As soon as it was tightened too much, the crack would expand and cause the slot reel to slightly wobble. The wobbling caused the reel to touch the slot where the opto is. I replaced the reels and it fixed the problem completely.

#8 3 years ago

I rebuilt my Who Dunnit about 4 months ago and added the new Marco slot reel motors. This Fixed all the slot reel issues I had. The new motors are great. Just make sure the molex connector is wired correctly.

#9 3 years ago

Got the new motors and they all sort of work right. @ranhorton, you are correct they are wired backwards.

One reel still doesn’t always work “perfectly” 100% of the time. It drives me nuts when thing don’t work exactly as they should

One of the reels still occasionally studders resulting with it not matching the actual values it should. I am 100% sure the reels are connected well to the new motors. I put a slight flat spot on the shaft for the set screws. The optic works fine too.

Has anyone dug into the motor control boards? Is there anything that would drive intermittent studdering? It has a couple of cap’s on each of the boards, that was my only “guess” as to something that might be worth replacing due to potential decay.

Is anyone familiar with these reels and has a suggestion on ironing out this remaining occasional reel studdering?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Is anyone familiar with these reels and has a suggestion on ironing out this remaining occasional reel studdering?

Is the reel hitting the opto it's edge goes through ?

LTG : )

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Is the reel hitting the opto it's edge goes through ?
LTG : )

No. Good call though. One was and I fixed that. The reels can get really out of round!

#12 3 years ago

I di just run down and swap a control boards with another reels board and it still acted up. This makes me think the boards are fine then. I am stumped for the moment....

Not the motor control board
Not the motor (new)
Reel is not rubbing anywhere

Intermittent issues are the worst to trouble shoot. HELP!

Curious, I never really ran the reel test until this issue. When I run them ,all three reels act odd in the reel test. Anyone else run them an noticed that?

Side note: the game is an hour ahead than actual time. Was testing/playing when the clock hit midnight triggering midnight madness. Really cool feature/Easter egg in the game!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Did the problem happen all of a sudden or was the slot machine unreliable from the start and got worse? I had issues with my slot machine and there was cracks by where the reel attaches to the shaft from former over tightening. As soon as it was tightened too much, the crack would expand and cause the slot reel to slightly wobble. The wobbling caused the reel to touch the slot where the opto is. I replaced the reels and it fixed the problem completely.

Seemed like it happened all of a sudden. Have had the game for years and they were fine. It’s sat unplayed for a while though.

#14 3 years ago

My reels stuttered a bit too after I rewired one of them. Turns out I had mixed up the color order. Contacted Marco Spec and after talking with their tech, here is the correct order in case you need to double check yours.

RED pin 1
GREEN pin 2
YELLOW pin 5
BLUE pin 6

#15 3 years ago

I just rebuilt mine as well. Check the power plug coming into the reels, there is a connection at the bottom of the playfield for the power, it was a grey wire. mine was loosened up over time of raising the playfield.

#16 3 years ago

there are three main connectors from the playfield to the backbox. All three of mine are locked in. Is there another one I you are describing?

#17 3 years ago

I cleaned all of the connectors to the boards and the three from the roulette wheel connecting to the playfield harness at the roulette wheel. seems like things are almost fine now. once in every 20 spins the one wheel still acts up a little and studders. its a really clean machine so I am surprised with having this kind of issue with it.

may take a second clean to the plugs to see if that eliminates it fully.

Open to any other thoughts...

#18 3 years ago

My game had a continuous reel spinning issue. The repro/licensed reel stickers were too transparent, and the reels kept spinning. My friend painted the reel edges black, which provided the opacity for the optos to function correctly.

#19 3 years ago

My reels are original. The optics work great. In the test real mode you can validate. The optics are what stops the reels. The spinning of the reels is where the studdering occurs.

As I shared above I did a lot of cleaning and almost eliminated it. Going to give it one more once over.

My perfectionist side doesn’t want to give up until it is bullet proof and perfect

I am the guy That doesn’t have a light bulb out in any game. Drives me nuts

#20 3 years ago

Bump for any weekend Pinside guru’s. Studdering reels root cause?

#21 3 years ago

Track the power lines down from the stepper motor boards to the connector that is close to the end of the playfield. Its not the connector at the reel.
hope this helps

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

Track the power lines down from the stepper motor boards to the connector that is close to the end of the playfield. Its not the connector at the reel.
hope this helps

I will look again. I didn’t see anything other than the three main plugs at the bottom. You are saying there is another one close to the bottom of the PF?

#23 3 years ago

It’s this one in the photo black and grey with yellow connects to j116 on the driver board

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#24 3 years ago

Thanks for the photo. I found the plug and mine was tightly together. I pulled it open, cleaned it and plugged it back together. Amazingly I played 5 games and didn’t see any reel studdering. Maybe it was dirty or the connectors were lose.

Thanks, it sees, to be good now. Crazy! I am going to replace the last motor since I bought it so it will have 3 new motors in it and should be good for many more years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whodunnit-slot-reel-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.