(Topic ID: 233064)

WhoDunnit: Never-ending ball search - any ideas?

By Pin_Gizmos

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pin_Gizmos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I finally got my WD running but I've got a problem I can't figure out.

Most of the time, everything works as it should and I can play several games with no problems. Once in a while, the ball goes into the "Sewer" and never comes out. The game goes into ball search but it looks like that popper is never fired. No amount of nudging or even tilting solves the problem, so the game is unusable.

If I go into Solenoid Test and fire coil #18, the ball pops right out -- no problem. Switch test shows the opto working as expected.

Anyone else with this problem or with suggestions?

Thanks!
Steve

#2 2 years ago

So when in switch test throwing a ball down there activates the opto and it stays activated?

#3 2 years ago

Yes, the opto (switch #44) appears to be solid, with the switch staying "open" when the ball is sitting in the popper. There is a mechanical switch (#57) located just before the popper, in the subway, called "Lower Right Lock 2". It also seems fine, but it is hard to properly exercise it unless the playfield is in playing position, when I can't access it.

I suppose this is the spot where the "staged" ball sits, so maybe the problem only happens when there is another ball down there. I don't know why else the game would go into ball search.

Next, I'll just pull the subway out and see if there are any hang-ups in there.

#4 2 years ago

UPDATE: Even though switch #57 seemed perfectly fine, I decided to replace it. With optos before and after it, it seemed the only component that might not always trigger when lots of multiball action is going on.

Several games later and the ball searching has not come back. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also: There is an adjustment setting for "Staged Ball". Turning that off may be a last-resort fix, should the problem come back.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside