• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WD2.jpg
WD3.jpg
WD1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VegasMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hello,

New to the forum and hobby. I purchased my first machine in the fall (WhoDunnit) and am in the process of doing some maintenance (new rubbers, cleaning, etc.). But first...

The left, back and upper backboard G.I. are not working. I remember it working intermittently at one point, but now it is all out. I suspected the board 'repair job' had failed, so I de-soldiered the board and installed new pins (see pics). Not the neatest job, but all my trace tests worked.

The good news - i successfully reinstalled the board without issue (i.e., I didn't screw anything else up). The bad news - the GI's are still out.

Where should I be looking next? I have the manual, so that should help.

P.S. I also noticed that PIN 116 only had two wires connecting to it. The manual indicates that there should be 3. I didn't see a loose wire in the back box when I was in there.

Thanks in advance.

WD1.jpgWD1.jpgWD2.jpgWD2.jpgWD3.jpgWD3.jpg

#3 9 years ago

I saw the loose pin on J121 and locked it in - thanks. A proper crimping tool is next on my list.

By trace test, I simply meant that there was continuity between the new pin-headers I installed and the trace on the back of the board.

#5 9 years ago

You are correct, there is no voltage at the pins for the light strings in question. I'm guessing the next step is to back up and see if the transistors in charge of those lights are good...

#6 9 years ago

I used this site to test the board to the best of my ability. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

I didn't notice any obvious problems. I think the next step is to replace pin connector J115, which also looks a bit crispy, so hopefully that resolves the issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Altoona, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 37.50
Boards
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VegasMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whodunnit-gi-issues?tu=VegasMike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.