• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MrEd.jpeg
WNBJM.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I was at Allentown and they had 2 WNJM set up. Very nice looking pins with real wood and the crate was a nice touch, I had thought that maybe the crates would make the machines wobbly, but they were not.

I was interested to see that there was never a line. I mean people were playing, but at times I could play 5 games before someone came up behind me to play.

I will say, I have never played EM games except now and then. I really didn't understand the rules, but it was odd for me no ramps, really slow ball, no pitch not sure what to shoot for. But overall, I thought that it was fun to play. I would consider one as an different type of pin, and novelty. I thought it was fun. Probably if it was a different theme as well, but even this theme was cool and the art was nice.

I hope that it's a mild success and maybe more of these types of pins are made. I only thought that the cost was a bit too high. If these were sold at around $4000 delivered, I think it would attract a lot of people. My father-in-law for example, he likes my pins but not so much the speed and he even tells me he doesn't care for Multiball. he's 75 years old and I think he would be a perfect target audience.

I know regular EMs are so much cheaper, but having a new SS game that does not need a lot of attention to keep working would probably sell to very casual players. As well as pinheads who like to have something different. But I'm not sure if it costs $6000 that may really limit the potential sales.

#2 8 years ago

I thought the game was fast and fun, but it's not an EM in any way, shape, or form.

At $5400, your father can buy it if it appeals to him.

If not, there are many thousands of other titles. He could get a completely re-manufactured EBD for $4000 - everybody loves that game.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I thought the game was fast and fun, but it's not an EM in any way, shape, or form.
At $5400, your father can buy it if it appeals to him.
If not, there are many thousands of other titles. He could get a completely re-manufactured EBD for $4000 - everybody loves that game.

Not my father, my father-in-law. And as I said, there's no way he'd pay $6000 for one. Even $5400 is that what they cost? I thought the MSRP was $6500.

#4 8 years ago

It was an interesting idea, but I think it played with itself too much.

After plunging, it would bounce around the top for a while, eventually make its way down to the flippers, then I would flip and it would go off and bounce around for a while again. Most of my game time was simply watching the ball go around on the playfield on its own without me having to do anything.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Even $5400 is that what they cost? I thought the MSRP was much higher.

Pay retail?? Furgitaboutit.

#6 8 years ago

It sucked online AND in person!

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pay retail?? Furgitaboutit.

I never said retail. I said the MSRP was $6500 so like other pins take off a 20% it's more than a Stern pro.

Quoted from vid1900:

but it's not an EM in any way, shape, or form.

I never said it was an EM, I said it was a SS game that plays like an EM. I said maybe people don't want the trouble of buying a 20-30 year old game and would prefer a SS game that plays like an EM.

#8 8 years ago

I found it to be slow and floaty when I played it at the TPF. I agree with ForceFlow in that it didn't require a lot of player interaction. Also, the theme was too corny and juvenile for me.

#9 8 years ago

Only seen it on line but I'd really like to play it in person. Seems like a game I'd enjoy playing but wouldn't buy for the selling price.

#10 8 years ago

I felt the game was blah...but it might actually outsell Wrestlemania.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I said the MSRP was $6500 so like other pins take off a 20% it's more than a Stern pro.

It's cooler than a Stern Pro.

So some people will say it's worth it, and some will not find the value in it.

That's what makes pinball fun. Otherwise we would all just own AFM and MM.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

...but it might actually outsell Wrestlemania.

Could you imagine, an original theme outselling a licensed theme???

We can only hope.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Could you imagine, an original theme outselling a licensed theme???
We can only hope.

I'm convinced that only 12 Wrestlemanias will be sold.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

It's not a theme for me, but my neighbor ordered one instantly and so did a guy at work.

That leaves 10 for the rest of youz.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It was an interesting idea, but I think it played with itself too much.

I can't tell you how surprised I am that a thread about a pin full of fourth-grade level sexual innuendo (not that there's anything wrong with that) in THIS forum, wherein vid has already posted several times, has thus far left this quote without comment.

You guys are losing your touch!

... So to speak.

#16 8 years ago

There was probably 12 Wrestlemanias at mgc this year . I did not play any of them ,but it did play big juicy melons a bunch . I like the game and enjoyed playing it but yes the price is a bit too high for me . Did play a few games with someone who is getting one and he was happy with his decision to purchase .

#17 8 years ago

i played one at the show, not enough pitch ball was very slow i felt like walking away but finished my game. they look beautiful not big on the crate i think legs would look better.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

they look beautiful not big on the crate i think legs would look better.

You are in luck, they come with a spare set of legs!

#19 8 years ago

I played one game and was generally underwhelmed. It was a novelty for sure. I also found the theme silly. But then I'm not the target audience.

I will say it felt solid enough, it certainly didn't feel cheap.

#20 8 years ago

And adjustable pitch. You can set it up for fast or slow, your choice!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You are in luck, they come with a spare set of legs!

i would need more than luck to buy one. LOL

#22 8 years ago

Any kind of machine set up without enough pitch will play slow.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Already about that many simply on route here in portland lol

#24 8 years ago

Love the theme and construction. Not a big fan of the actual game.

#25 8 years ago

o-din i always liked you for you keen sense for the obvious and that ever changing avitar! my two favorite are the duke (eye patch) and Mr, ed.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

WWELE is better than you think, and WNBJM should arrive in the next 2 days and it makes a great
addition for variety to a modest collection.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

a modest collection

When was the last time you had a modest collection, anyways? =P

#28 8 years ago

I played one of the Whoa Nellie's at Allentown...

Cool idea for a retro game, but the price is kind of like Volkswagen selling the new Beetle for $350,000.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

my two favorite are the duke (eye patch) and Mr, ed.

Gee, Wilbur...
MrEd.jpegMrEd.jpeg

#31 8 years ago

I played it Saturday around 10am. No one even interested in it.
There was something odd about the machine that I cant quite put my finger on. I don't know. Like it was too nice to be an em. The reals just didn't look right modern, nor the flippers.
I found the game very slow and I lost interest very quickly.
For the money they are asking, I would rather buy a few restored or very clean looking real EMs.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I played one game and was generally underwhelmed. It was a novelty for sure. I also found the theme silly. But then I'm not the target audience.
I will say it felt solid enough, it certainly didn't feel cheap.

Who is the target audience?

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from irobot:

My best guess to that is 45 and up.
Those of us who played EM's in the arcade in the our younger days.
Vs say, ACDC, Star Trek or Walking Dead will cross multiple generations.

#34 8 years ago

I've always thought there was a market for a simpler modern machine that is more in vein with an EM style or early SS style pin but the theme on this one and the price make me scratch my head. The idea of a simpler throw back type machine to me should be to capture the market who want a NIB but don't have the cash for a full featured pro table.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Pins4me:

My best guess to that is 45 and up.
Those of us who played EM's in the arcade in the our younger days.
Vs say, ACDC, Star Trek or Walking Dead will cross multiple generations.

i grew up on em's in the 60's and i still thought this game boring. and yes I'am one of the up.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Already about that many simply on route here in portland lol

I can't find one place in NJ to play it.

I know a couple places in NYC have it, but I don't feel like going up there just to play it. If Modern Pinball had it, that would be different.

I really wish Modern Pinball would open up a location in Freehold on Main Street. At that point, I'd have Silverball Museum, Yestercades, and a Modern Pinball all in the same county.

#37 8 years ago

I'm in my 30's and really enjoyed it. Wife liked it too but she won't be happy until she gets an MMr. I play a lot of EM and really dug the 'wink and a nod' to old school but she was immediately noticing details that didn't faze me when I read about them months ago, like the crushed beer cans as (mock?) levelers. Lines were short so I took advantage and played a bunch. Overpriced but no more than typical Stern fare, which this was refreshingly NOT. The balance between slow and fast was really good - I felt like I had time to carefully plan my shots but didn't zone out while waiting for the moment.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from irobot:

I'm guessing this kid might want one...

WNBJM.jpgWNBJM.jpg

#39 8 years ago

I thought the presentation was beautiful. I love the crate look of the whole machine and the crate
bottom with the tin can touch. Looked cool. Game play wise, I think an EM guy would love this
machine but I'm not one of them and need more depth. Other than that, it would make a great
filler piece or if someone wanted one EM in their collection, this would be the one I'd prefer for the
quality and craftmanship put into it. I'm not real keen on the game play though. A bit floaty and not
enough to do for my tastes. I think this would be an easy sell at $2k and any pinhead would run out
to get one for the look of it. But, $5k and up puts be back into some really nice machines which
surpass this for sure.

#40 8 years ago

I played the game at the MGC. And while I liked it, the chances of me ever buying one are nonexistent. Whoa Nellie is, like it or not, competing against machines such as Star Trek Pro and Metallica Pro, both of which are in another universe when it comes to game play.

#41 8 years ago

Got to play it twice, once on each machine they had.
Looks beautiful - artwork is awesome, sounds and call outs are great,
But .... like i gathered from the play videos, it's really slow and boring.
I walked away with 0 interest in playing it again.
I could not get into it at all. Just not my cup of tea at any price.

#42 8 years ago

I concur, it looks nice but the gameplay is little on the boring side.

#43 8 years ago

I really like the theme and gameplay. I plan to own one someday.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nelly-what-did-you-guys-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.