(Topic ID: 142983)

Whoa Nellie ranked #1 in Play Meter latest poll.

By DennisNordman

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by NorCalRealtor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1982-sept.jpg
number-1-dad-seinfeld-shirt-fathers-day.png
IMG_20150828_2246335301.jpg
12003175_1058584137507711_4341732088741591340_n.jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

What an unexpected surprise! I was convinced that it would be a good earning game on location. It fits the classic rule of game design, Easy to Understand, Difficult to Master. Just a fun, entertaining game. Buy one today!

12003175_1058584137507711_4341732088741591340_n.jpg

#2 4 years ago

Congrats, guess we might get a sequel now.

#3 4 years ago

In some places it's outearning KISS.

Attractive design, simple rules = an approachable, excellent game.

IMG_20150828_2246335301.jpg

#4 4 years ago

I really enjoyed that game during the EPC in Belgium a few weeks ago. Congrats!

#5 4 years ago

Such a fun pin!

Congrats Dennis, really glad to hear about Nellie's success!
You guys really earned it.

#6 4 years ago

Check that out. All the way up there with Stern IJ. Kidding.

Fun game! Really wish I owned one.

#7 4 years ago

How many of these were made? I mean what do the numbers really mean if they only sold 50 of them.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

How many of these were made?

Stern never gives sales figures.

Thousands were made, no doubt.

#9 4 years ago

Kudos for making something unique in this day and age, stoked it's getting the recognition it deserves! Also thank you for White Water, it's my favorite game of all time.

#10 4 years ago

Played this on location for the first time last week - and loved it. Artwork is amazing, gameplay was simple, but fun. Quality of finish on the game looks amazing. In a line of games, this really stands out, and is approachable for everyone.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

I mean what do the numbers really mean if they only sold 50 of them.

The numbers mean that WNBJM out earned all the other games in the operator's survey.

#12 4 years ago

Woah Nellie is a lot of fun, and I like the sound package, it totally fits the game. Really helps elevate it to being a modern machine with a throwback feel.

#13 4 years ago

Congrats. The wnbjm presentation is a cut above. I saw it at expo and thought, some moron leveled the game with a crushed can. then I noticed it's a prop. Great touch!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Congrats. The wnbjm presentation is a cut above. I saw it at expo and thought, some moron leveled the game with a crushed can. then I noticed it's a prop. Great touch!

I forgot to look for that.

The playfield quality on the recent Sterns (wnbjm, kiss, got) seems to be a level up from previous releases. Printing and clearcoat. Wondering if they've changed something.

#15 4 years ago

When you make the best game in years and outfit it with two inch flippers, it deserves to be on top.

#16 4 years ago

Better than Star Trek?
Better than WoZ?

Nope. It's a decent game, but not all that.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Better than Star Trek?
Better than WoZ?

Umm....this is all about Location Earnings.....so yes it beat them.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Better than Star Trek?
Better than WoZ?

Keep in mind that what's being shown here isn't a review of the game's quality, but is a poll showing how the game has been earning.

I'm surprised to see it so high, and it's awesome that it is. No ops in the Cleveland area have one, and they typically have all the new Stern releases, so perhaps it'd be worth their while to pick up a Whoa Nellie.

#19 4 years ago

Indiana Jones (stern) is 2nd? It's been a long time since I have played it, but I don't remember it being that good. Maybe I am letting the movie cloud my judgement, but I can't believe its a top earner.

#20 4 years ago

YEAH DUDE!
W DD radio rocks and rocks hard!

#21 4 years ago

Love the fact that TAF is still in the top 10. Time to put one of mine on route!

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Krankypants:

Indiana Jones (stern) is 2nd? It's been a long time since I have played it, but I don't remember it being that good. Maybe I am letting the movie cloud my judgement, but I can't believe its a top earner.

Again, the numbers are not saying that Indiana Jones is a great game.

Only that it's earning a lot of money.

-

When James and I put a bunch of games in a bar frequented by kids in their 20's last year, Comet out earned AFM every month.

That does not mean that Comet is a better game than AFM.

It just means that kids in the 20s found Comet to be more fun. Maybe the Python graphics, maybe the easy to understand goals, or maybe young women found a roller coaster more approachable than monsters.....who knows?

#23 4 years ago

Great mix of Design, simplicity and sex appeal! Had fun playing it at Expo.

#24 4 years ago

Congrats.

The fact that we are posting earnings reports in 2015 instead of pinball's obituary is a win for everyone.

#25 4 years ago

Well, I don't know how official any of these rankings really are

#26 4 years ago

congrats dennis on another winner!.this IS the game of choice at our arcade once the party start.i have not seen mention yet but so far no problems and no time at all to maintain this game.hilarious call outs with up beat rockabilly music sets the mood for an instant party for seasoned players as well as first time pinball players ..easy to explain rule set with beautiful rich colors on the playfield make this an easy choice for an operator to see instant returns on investment.....again congrats....stop working on that money and time sucking street rod of yours and finish that new game in progress!

#27 4 years ago

I'm not surprised Dennis. I played this at Expo and loved everybit of it - art, sounds, and fun gameplay. Am seriously thinking of getting me one...

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Well, I don't know how official any of these rankings really are

Looking at the rest of the list, IJ4 being #2, it makes you wonder how many ops actually filled out the survey. Likely extremely small.... single digits, and maybe low single digits.. or maybe just 1. Someone should try and correlate that list with a location(s).

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Looking at the rest of the list, IJ4 being #2, it makes you wonder how many ops actually filled out the survey. Likely extremely small.... single digits, and maybe low single digits.. or maybe just 1. Someone should try and correlate that list with a location(s).

Or in spite of IJ4 being an awful game, the casual player sees Indiana Jones and wants to play it anyway. Hence earning well. I swear some people start the conspiracy theories at the drop of a hat.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Or in spite of IJ4 being an awful game, the casual player sees Indiana Jones and wants to play it anyway. Hence earning well. I swear some people start the conspiracy theories at the drop of a hat.

Ok, so you're saying dozens of ops reported IJ4 as their top earner? The ones that don't already have a Nellie that out earned it?

Not a conspiracy, just nonsensical. The simple explanation is the chart doesn't represent a lot of ops. The list can totally be legit... representing the ops that answered. So sure IJ4 made some money... but for how many ops? For IJ4 to be #2, it has to out earn all those titles below it AND be operated by all the ops in the survey.

I have my suspicions is all.

#31 4 years ago

Well when people come to my house that are not into pinball, they often park themselves on the IJ4. I get bored with it rather quickly. If you set the ark to very easy, novices can get massive multi balls and have fun. This also teaches skills to aim for something. They are rewarded greatly for hitting a big big target. I can totally see this and feel very lucky to have such a nice IJ4 (second owner, first owner only did about 50 plays). It is also my brightest game with bulb type lights, I put some LEDs in and it became to bright. After people get better at IJ4 then they start to have fun with my other toys.......
IJ4 software update and VE maybe? *crosses fingers*

#32 4 years ago

It is a cool game, I put some dollars in one not long ago. I can't believe avatar is that high on the list. Probably because they are all on location and not in someone's home.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Looking at the rest of the list, IJ4 being #2, it makes you wonder how many ops actually filled out the survey. Likely extremely small.... single digits, and maybe low single digits.. or maybe just 1.

To me, the amazing thing was that 6% of operators polled actually had a WNBJM on route !

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

For IJ4 to be #2, it has to out earn all those titles below it AND be operated by all the ops in the survey.

The rankings are not done by total net earnings for all pins of a particular make...it's the relative average earnings. It's telling you that the average WNBJM out earned the average IJ4.

Impressed that WNBJM did so well. What month is that...probably September earnings? Or August?

And to all the people saying they refuse to believe that IJ4 does well - yes, it's a bad game for the sophisticated pinhead, but every operator I've ever talked to says that it crushes in earnings. The 8 ball multi-ball is obvious, easy to start, and very memorable for a casual player.

What do I need to do to submit my earnings to Play Meter? A bigger sample size could only help.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

What do I need to do to submit my earnings to Play Meter?

Are you already one of the 3000 subscribers?

#36 4 years ago

Good to see LOTR and TSPP on the list after 12 years

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Are you already one of the 3000 subscribers?

No. Guess that'd be a good place to start.

#38 4 years ago

Congratulations Dennis!

You and Roger are probably two of my favorite people in the hobby.

#39 4 years ago

Congrats Dennis! It IS a great game.....and so is Scared Stiff!!

#40 4 years ago

sex sells!!!

but 2nd place for Indy come on

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

but 2nd place for Indy come on

Ok....we're gonna explain this one more time....

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

No. Guess that'd be a good place to start.

Yeah, they don't want the ballot box stuffed with false data, so you've got to be a subscriber to be polled.

-

Just like before Billboard started using Soundscan (where the actual sales numbers were voted), they used to just call stores and ask employees what the best selling albums were that week.

Dark Side of the Moon was on the charts for 16 years!

Every fan must have been buying a new copy every month, lol.

Fortunately Soundscan, by actually counting weekly album sales, has scraped it off the charts.

#43 4 years ago

Terrific accomplishement!

Be sure to hang a copy of the article all over the Stern factory. Gary will be bumping into it and continually be caught in some sort of logic loop "But... but... there is not a (large enough to matter) market for non-licensed themes...?"

#44 4 years ago

Hmm, no SP???

#45 4 years ago

How much do these cost NIB just out of curiosity?

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

How much do these cost NIB just out of curiosity?

~$5100 delivered

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Terrific accomplishement!
Be sure to hang a copy of the article all over the Stern factory. Gary will be bumping into it and continually be caught in some sort of logic loop "But... but... there is not a (large enough to matter) market for non-licensed themes...?"

This! How refreshing is it to see an original theme game doing well on location? Great theme, great art, fun game play. Wow!!!!
Congrats to mr. Nordman and team.

#48 4 years ago

There is one on Chicago CL bought NIB for sale $4500.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

How refreshing is it to see an original theme game doing well on location? Great theme, great art, fun game play. Wow!!!!

On the same note it is also unfortunate that most newer games are made to appeal to home collectors that aren't always wanting an original or fresh theme.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

that explains nothing. tons of pins have broad appeal -- any of the dozens of super hero, hollywood blockbuster, or rock band pins. there's no logical reason for that particular game to be #2 other than small sample size.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 12,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 159.00
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside