IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1709.JPG
I7kgSPI.jpg
download (3).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#65 9 years ago

My Crescendo plays just as well with more interesting stuff to shoot at, to me anyways.... The only advantage this thing is going to have over most EM's is serviceability. Putting in a real chime unit would go a long way towards relieving the ear-grating sounds which is mostly due to the fact they use ONE tone..and ONE TONE ONLY...hello? EM's usually have three chimes guys. I don't know about woodrails since they are usually bells, but the just one tone is a real kick in the nuts. If you're going to half-ass make it a modern game, then just get over it and put sound effects and stuff in.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from DennisNordman:

This couldn't be more incorrect.

While I respect you as a designer, I don't have to respect the changes that Stern made. As an EM, I was in. As a boutique product that's been modified to meet Stern's needs to sell a game, I'm out. Sorry if you have an issue with that, Dennis.

Game looks fantastic and plays great, but the sounds are F---KING ANNOYING MAN. They are BY FAR a bigger detriment to the overall package than removing the gobble hole and adding LEDs.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Did you not make it to Dennis and Greg's presentation?
All this and mOrE were covered...
For those that might of missed it.
Top of page 19 if you will.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-confirmed-pricing/page/19#post-2346174
I guess I should have clarified butter, there WILL be an EM setting for those that crave a more "traditional" WNBJM.

No...I was stuck in the tournament area all weekend..

I'll check this out when I get a moment.

#100 9 years ago

Okay, so some good info there..

Good: Being able to add chimes/bells (Hopefully documentation is really good on this.. type of coils needed etc..), adjustable coil strengths (woohoo, finally! That's a much needed improvement that all future Spike games will hopefully benefit from as well.), score reel improvements (I didn't think the steppers were an issue on the one I saw.. it wasn't buttery smooth like Retro KOD, thankfully.).

Really cool that someone is out there building chime units for 120 bucks..

I still think the price is too high for what it is. I would have much rather been offered the option to buy the crate, or the decals for the crate and fabricate my own, than to pay hundreds (or more) to Stern for one. Given it was a Stern built game, I don't really feel like all of the wood trim was "necessary" either, but in the end, it's awesome that Dennis/Greg were able to negotiate that into being on the game with Stern and bust them out of their mold. Game feels great when playing it.

Just still not seeing the cost-to-value ratio on it for me, especially having to add stuff aftermarket. Time will tell if other people feel the same.

*Edit* Bring on the thumbs down, beetches.

#119 9 years ago

" this was purchased by a client who got vetoed on his game room"

lmao...

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i wouldn't go anywhere near a board with a soldering tool

It's really not that bad...just need some practice. Everything I know about soldering I know because of pinball. Acid repair and logic diagnostics is just about the only thing I still feel incompetent with. I've done trace repairs, solder stitches, repins, reflows, recaps, re-anything you can think of almost... and I'm only like 3 years into soldering...it's not like I'm some long time repair guy. The right tools, some patience, and a willingness to learn go a LONG way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-mind-change?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.