Topic Stats

• 142 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Rocket.jpeg
Galahad Receipt 1.jpg
IMG_1715.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1709.JPG
I7kgSPI.jpg
download (3).jpg

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Really cool that someone is out there building chime units for 120 bucks..

i wouldn't get too excited about those chime units until i actually see/hear one work...

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Let's see that receipt again. The dudes on the glass are far out.

Here you go:

Galahad Receipt 1.jpg
#103 4 years ago

So....finally a "non-licensed" them....thought that's what everyone wanted

#104 4 years ago

A bargain at twice the price.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They are only making 500 of them, so it could be the next TronLE.
$12K by Christmas, the people began shouting........

There is some ECON 101 to all of this. Pinball is a fungible commodity. If the demand is there, it will be satisfied. How long was MM the holy grail? Along comes MMR. This is a good thing as long as you realize the bubble effect of a market. Perhaps not so good if you wanted to unload your MM for a sum greater than 12k. If Tron in any variation becomes that desirable, the good folks at Stern will ramp out production for a new one and call it vault, über, supremo or the bees knees. It will sell and that is the market speaking.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Here you go:

Galahad Receipt 1.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

complete with bally pen, no less...

even paid "the man" his 11 bucks...

#107 4 years ago

It's interesting to see basically an EM game with some modern technology and I find the concept intriguing. However, for the price could buy a whole basement full of EM's but of course not new and wouldn't have advantages of the new tech and diagnostics I assume this game comes with, hopefully.

I'll be curious to see if this sells or not. I sort of hope it does as anything that promotes EM's is great.

#108 4 years ago

I like this game and would like to add a 1 EM type of game to my collection but I do keep going back to the price and wonder if I would be just as happy with something like the following - Centigrade 37, High Hand, El Dorado (or some other drop target game) or some animated backbox game like Buckaroo?

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I like this game and would like to add a 1 EM type of game to my collection but I do keep going back to the price and wonder if I would be just as happy with something like the following - Centigrade 37, High Hand, El Dorado (or some other drop target game) or some animated backbox game like Buckaroo?

My thoughts as well. My question for you is do you know how to work on EM's beyond the basics of soldering, changing switches and coils? I find EM's personally much harder than solid states to diagnose. Of course, lots of helpful people here on Pinside, but just some things you might want to consider. Also the games you mentioned and other EM's as well, I like the gameplay much better than Nellie. However, naturally that's quite subjective and if you like Nellie a lot, than worthy to consider it.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Yeah right, standard issue comment but which ones are any good & priced correct?!...in theory non licensed should be cheaper than this.

Who can afford to sink money into this game have more $$ than sense.

I would probably only give $1500 for this, only because it's brand new. This is not $6500 worth of fun in a million years. Sorry , but I feel this game would last 2 weeks, if that, and as said already you're probably best off grabbing some classic EMs.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

My thoughts as well. My question for you is do you know how to work on EM's beyond the basics of soldering, changing switches and coils?

I have no idea how to work on EMs besides basic soldering and burning my hand.... It would probably have to be a restored EM if I picked it up.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

My question for you is do you know how to work on EM's beyond the basics of soldering, changing switches and coils? I find EM's personally much harder than solid states to diagnose.

It is Rocket science.

Rocket.jpeg

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

wouldn't have advantages of the new tech and diagnostics I assume this game comes with

This tech could be added to any EM for less than $300 and your time. You could pay someone to do it for less than $1000. I may do it for fun with the EM I eventually get and share the code/process on here for others. I figure an ATMega328 (have a number of these laying around), backlit lcd (hadve various of these laying around as well), some coding, wiring up a little switch matrix for getting scoring, writing some code for it via Processing/Arduino should be fairly straight forward. I could add speakers, a SD card reader and audio section for triggering wav file sound effects too. It is really the time involved, not the parts.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Remember that WNBJM is NOT an EM. Not at all.

It has some visual references to EMs, but it's a modern game with the latest electronics.

-

Everyone should own one EM, so no matter what you decide on WNBJM, you should keep on the lookout for the real deal.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

o-din should own 100 EMs

Finally fixed one for ya vid!

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Everyone should own one EM, so no matter what you decide on WNBJM, you should keep on the lookout for the real deal.

Got it - I will keep my eye out for one. Where is the best place to look?

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Got it - I will keep my eye out for one. Where is the best place to look?

Mr Pinball classifieds
Craigslist
RGP
Pinside Classifieds
Pinball shows

sandiego.craigslist.org link

sandiego.craigslist.org link

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Mr Pinball classifieds
Craigslist
RGP
Pinside Classifieds
Pinball shows

Thanks - maybe I will go check out that Captain Fantastic. What is a good price? Anything to look out for?

#119 4 years ago

" this was purchased by a client who got vetoed on his game room"

lmao...

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Cheap shot there. There have been literally TONS of awesome unlicensed theme ideas suggested here. And you'd think not having to pay a license would lower the price a little too. I guess not in Stern's world.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Thanks - maybe I will go check out that Captain Fantastic. What is a good price? Anything to look out for?

I would want to pay $600, but CA prices are higher than OH.

Make sure the back glass is perfect and that there are no broken plastics or patches of wear on the playfield if you are paying more than $800.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

if it was $4k I would seriously consider putting one on location just to see if it would make any money and if not it would look great at home... at $5500+ nope, not worth the risk

I was told by one of your friends that he picked up a Fast Draw. I suggested you guys put that on location and charge one quarter/token per play.

I guarantee it will make money. That game is addictive. And I am sure it was quite reasonably priced.

Just a thought.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I have no idea how to work on EMs besides basic soldering and burning my hand.... It would probably have to be a restored EM if I picked it up.

that's all i knew when i started, and i was able to bring a dead one back to life... i think that there are several of us in that boat...

i'm generally amused by the "stick to ss over em's because they are easier to fix"... personally, i find ss machines "scary"... the whole time i had my "bad cats", i hoped it would never break, because i couldn't just pop the top and let my eyes/ears find the problem for me...

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Finally fixed one for ya vid!

you haven't got that far to go...

of course, when you get to 100, you will need a full-time live-in assistant... hmmm, wonder who might volunteer for that?

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

that's all i knew when i started, and i was able to bring a dead one back to life... i think that there are several of us in that boat...
i'm generally amused by the "stick to ss over em's because they are easier to fix"... personally, i find ss machines "scary"... the whole time i had my "bad cats", i hoped it would never break, because i couldn't just pop the top and let my eyes/ears find the problem for me...

Im the opposite. If something breaks on a ss, I hope it is the board. Quick fix of parts I already have vs ordering some expensive ass exclusive part and waiting.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Im the opposite. If something breaks on a ss, I hope it is the board. Quick fix of parts I already have vs ordering some expensive ass exclusive part and waiting.

fair point...

i am relatively confident i could debug a board, given some learning time... i have ZERO chance of fixing one though, i wouldn't go anywhere near a board with a soldering tool...

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Who can afford to sink money into this game have more $$ than sense.

Or maybe there are folks with way more money AND way more sense than you.

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

Or maybe there are folks with way more money AND way more sense than you.

We have a bitter buyer. No need to take offense. I'll rephrase it and say that if I had $1million set aside just for pins this wouldn't even be on the list. As a player and not collector, it's just not worth it.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i wouldn't go anywhere near a board with a soldering tool

It's really not that bad...just need some practice. Everything I know about soldering I know because of pinball. Acid repair and logic diagnostics is just about the only thing I still feel incompetent with. I've done trace repairs, solder stitches, repins, reflows, recaps, re-anything you can think of almost... and I'm only like 3 years into soldering...it's not like I'm some long time repair guy. The right tools, some patience, and a willingness to learn go a LONG way.

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's really not that bad...just need some practice. Everything I know about soldering I know because of pinball. Acid repair and logic diagnostics is just about the only thing I still feel incompetent with. I've done trace repairs, solder stitches, repins, reflows, recaps, re-anything you can think of almost... and I'm only like 3 years into soldering...it's not like I'm some long time repair guy. The right tools, some patience, and a willingness to learn go a LONG way.

unfortunately, it's not lack of 'sperience when it comes to soldering, it's that my hands shake enough to make board work basically impossible...

1 month later
#131 4 years ago

I played WNBJM this weekend at the WS auction, as well as WWE Pro for the first time. WNBJM is a beautiful game, great call outs and I thought it was a lot of fun. WWE Pro was a complete borefest and completely uninteresting from a gameplay perspective I thought. So, surprisingly, I'd take a WNBJM over a WWE any day.

#132 4 years ago

I just played WNBJM at the pinball hall of fame. It was set up very, very slow. Much slower than how I've set up my own em games. But it was fun. Lots of interesting things to hit and high point targets constantly moving around the playfield. It's a fun game and a very pretty game. It was set up a little too easy in my opinion -- I had a free game half way though my first ball. But that could be adjusted for the home environment.

On the con side, I personally wasn't a fan of the voice work. It was a little too amateurish for my tastes; simple bells and chimes might have hit the target audience a bit more closely. And as far as I could tell, the machine doesn't remember your high score. For the home environment, I think that's a big downer. Maybe this one wasn't fully set-up -- it looked like they literally just unboxed it, as the stern box was on the floor right next to the machine. But I scrolled through the menu hitting the flipper buttons the same way you would with any stern and didn't see any evidence of a high score memory.

Overall, it's not for me, though I wanted to like it because the art is amazing. Hopefully it finds an audience though. I could see this doing well on location. Definitely not intimidating.

#133 4 years ago

Wonderpuddle there is a high score that can be kept but you have to set it up in the menu. So it is most likely that you are correct and it had not been set up that way.

#134 4 years ago

There's a bug with the high score handling. I've asked my distributor to forward this to Stern (along with a couple other bugs):

SCORE REELS:
When: Standard adjustment #24 "Allow High Scores" YES
When: Feature Adjustment #6 "Reels Show High Scores" NO
Observed: Reels show high scores for minutes after end of game
Expected: Reels show only last score(s); only DMD to show high scores.
VERSION: V1.1 SYS. 1.68 HDW. 3

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from wonderpuddle:

On the con side, I personally wasn't a fan of the voice work.

Ditto. I want just the bells/chimes, nothing else.

Which brings up another bug.

ATTENUATION
When: Feature Adjustment #24 "Music Attenuation" 60 (Max)
When: Feature Adjustment #25 "Speech Attenuation" 60 (Max)
When: Feature Adjustment #26 "SFX Attenuation" 60 (Max)
Observed: Sounds for these categories still play (just at lower volume).
Expected: Sounds for these categories fully muted.
VERSION: V1.1 SYS. 1.68 HDW. 3

That said, it is low enough volume that I can play without being distracted by the voices. I turned off Match to completely kill the horrible sounds at the end of the game (even turned down, too annoying).

#136 4 years ago

And, while I'm bitching.. I'm enjoying the game. It's nice to have something different in the lineup. This is actually the one machine we keep at home (all the other machines are at the "game room" aka warehouse space we keep). Despite the simplicity, it *is* fun.

#137 4 years ago

Tried it out at PAGG and was very pleasantly surprised. Game play was much better than I'd expected and the wood was stunning but the art/theme was not for me. As for value, to each his or her own. Personally, I don't have enough space but I'd rank it on the top third, maybe top quarter of the c. 280 in terms of fun/quality overall. Compared to the actual woodrails there, it had better gameplay than most and inferior art to all.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from Tribonian:

Tried it out at PAGG and was very pleasantly surprised. Game play was much better than I'd expected and the wood was stunning but the art/theme was not for me. As for value, to each his or her own. Personally, I don't have enough space but I'd rank it on the top third, maybe top quarter of the c. 280 in terms of fun/quality overall. Compared to the actual woodrails there, it had better gameplay than most and inferior art to all.

I could be mistaken but I believe you were playing one of the "Real" EMs at PAGG, not the Stern SS version. It still had the gobble hole!

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from Tribonian:

Tried it out at PAGG and was very pleasantly surprised.

Cactus Jack is right
the Whoa Nellie at PAGG was a true EM prototype,
none of the electronics that went into the Stern production run,
I think Brad Grant built his from scratch using an NOS BG and PF
from the original short run production (by Nordstrom and Feres)
prior to Stern's run.
Played and sounded like a true EM all the way around, and played very well.

#140 4 years ago

Yep that is Brad's home built. Was fun to play and compare against the Stern release. In addition to the gobble hole changing to a ball eject, the top lane behavior also changed. The new machines have one top lane per bumper that lights it up (making it a 10 point bumper instead of 1). Bumpers reset at the end of ball.

Brads .. Either red lane would light the red bumpers and either green would light the green bumpers. And of course the gobble hole gobbles!

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

And of course the gobble hole gobbles!

Did the bells go ding?

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Did the bells go ding?

Yes, real chimes or was it real bell/gongs?
and more importantly the score reels were real ratchet style,
so when game reset you get that true clickity clackity sound.
Much better than the silent treatment the Stern model score reels give you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 7.00
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 179.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside