IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1709.JPG
I7kgSPI.jpg
download (3).jpg
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

I was very skeptical about the Whoa Nellie game, my first impression was too high a price for a novelty game. Got to play it at TPF and all I can say is WOW. No, it's not "deep" but out of all the games at the show I kept going back to that one to play. It is truly a great game to play over and over. Got to talk to one of the game creators, Greg, and he was absolutely fantastic. He really has a passion for pinball and I can tell they put nothing but the best into this game. I rate it a strong 8.5 out of 10 (there are a couple small issues that Greg said they are going to address before shipping) and will be getting one for sure.

SL

#2 9 years ago

It was my favorite game at the show.

Greg/Dennis keep saying that you have to play it to get it, and that is really the truth on this game.

It's a work of art that is just a blast to play. It'd kick my ass often and having me wanting to hit the start button again.

#3 9 years ago

Glad to see some positive vibes about this game. I have spent time with Greg before and love his passion for pinball. I don't get this game with the price, but if it has a market great!

#4 9 years ago

but is it worth $7k is the question. I don't think many people would say yes.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don't think the street price will be anywhere near that, at least in the states. With a $6500 MSRP, I'm guessing around $5500 delivered, but I haven't seen any actual dealers pricing out the door.

#6 9 years ago

I enjoyed playing it, but the electronic chime is why (price aside) I decided that I didn't want it. Ughtastic.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

I don't think the street price will be anywhere near that, at least in the states. With a $6500 MSRP, I'm guessing around $5500 delivered, but I haven't seen any actual dealers pricing out the door.

Gotcha. Well it still seems way too much for the average collector. I can really only see these in museum type collections. I guess time will tell.

#8 9 years ago

I really like the tiny LCD DMD on the apron that you can glance at to see other's scores while playing.
I really wish they would have kept the "gobble" hole as initially designed. the now saucer even still has a turkey above it on the plastic. kinda lame to change it IMHO.

I did enjoy playing it - more than WrestlemaniaLE. A hard game for sure that makes you keep pressing start, but like most others on here, the price tag is too damn high for what it is. I can see the cost of the weathered custom wood for each one and the non standard parts going into it, but still too high by about $1K IMHO. $4k they would have sold a ton of them.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from shooterlane:

No, it's not "deep" but out of all the games at the show I kept going back to that one to play.

Just goes to show you don't need repetitive ramp shots or bash toys to have fun playing pinball. I'm glad a friend of mine will be getting one of these.

#10 9 years ago

I thought it was way more fun than I had expected. The wood trim and art package is amazing. I wouldnt pay more than a few grand for it though, but Im poor so what do I know

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I really wish they would have kept the "gobble" hole as initially designed. the now saucer even still has a turkey above it on the plastic.

The turkey isn't a hold over from a last minute change, it's a joke about how it was a gobble hole.

I think it was smart to change it personally.

#12 9 years ago

I placed an order and deposit with my distributor 2 weeks ago as this is a game I fell in love with years ago. I had even posted a wtb ad for 1 of the original 4 before production was announced.
All I can say about price, is contact your local distributor. You might be surprised at actual cost.
I was told it would be ready around the end of the month and I can't wait. This will be my first ever NIB purchase.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The turkey isn't a hold over from a last minute change, it's a joke about how it was a gobble hole.

That's the point. It still has the gobbler but it doesn't gobble any more.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

I enjoyed playing it, but the electronic chime is why (price aside) I decided that I didn't want it. Ughtastic.

I believe I heard Greg/Dennis say in their talk at the TPF that there is wiring in the machine for real bells/chimes, so they could be added later.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Exactly......

#16 9 years ago

The way I see it.... all EM and 80's games (Whoa Nellie here included (and maybe Breakshot)), are way more enjoyable if you're playing with some friends for laughs and jokes and even high score competition.... It's much different than owning one and playing alone at home in the middle of the night.... Absolutely boring! Anyways, I know that at least one friend of mine will buy it, and I'm sure once it arrives it will look awesome in their collection, because the machine is really very beautiful, but I rather spend my hard-earned money on a "modern" machine!

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

That's the point. It still has the gobbler but it doesn't gobble any more.

If a gobbler doesn't gobble any more, is it still a gobbler?

Quoted from o-din:

I'm glad a friend of mine will be getting one of these.

Me too, because there's no way I'd pay this kind of money for this pin.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If a gobbler doesn't gobble any more, is it still a gobbler?

Nah, it's just a plain ol turkey

#19 9 years ago

Turkey joke here: Guy gets a job at a turkey farm. Farmer tells the guy it's his job to collect semen from the turkeys so they can inseminate the female turkeys. All morning things are going good. He comes to the end of the line and ends up with a big TOM turkey. The turkey looks up at the guy and says "gobble-gobble" The guy says what? The TOM again replies "gobble-gobble", The guy looks at the TOM and says " No way man, you're getting a handjob just like everybody else. ))

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

The way I see it.... all EM and 80's games (Whoa Nellie here included (and maybe Breakshot)), are way more enjoyable if you're playing with some friends for laughs and jokes and even high score competition.... It's much different than owning one and playing alone at home in the middle of the night.... Absolutely boring! Anyways, I know that at least one friend of mine will buy it, and I'm sure once it arrives it will look awesome in their collection, because the machine is really very beautiful, but I rather spend my hard-earned money on a "modern" machine!

oh i dunno, i have all single player em's in my collection, and i have plenty of fun playing them alone... even in the middle of the night...

there would have been a way to frame/phrase your post a lot better than you did (translated: don't poke the em bear... )....

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

oh i dunno, i have all single player em's in my collection, and i have plenty of fun playing them alone... even in the middle of the night...
there would have been a way to frame/phrase your post a lot better than you did (translated: don't poke the em bear... )....

Well, that was only my humble opinion.... like my mother used to say: if everyone had the same tastes in life, what would be of the yellow?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

I placed an order and deposit with my distributor 2 weeks ago as this is a game I fell in love with years ago. I had even posted a wtb ad for 1 of the original 4 before production was announced.
All I can say about price, is contact your local distributor. You might be surprised at actual cost.
I was told it would be ready around the end of the month and I can't wait. This will be my first ever NIB purchase.

You oughta host a party for locals to come and play it once it arrives

#23 9 years ago

I'm glad some people like the game and are going to support it. As for me, didn't like it, really I'd rather have an old beat up 1960s game then that one to play. The price, is out of the ballpark for what I saw too...I played several full games to see if it grew on me and not really.

Now, I know it's my opinion and you guys have yours so that's great. What I did notice is the Whoa Nellies were always open all weekend at TPF and I saw MANY people walk up, play one ball and walk away. It's not going to be for the general public for sure.

My wife, kids and most people I talked to thought it was lacking and used some rather colorful language when I explained how much it cost and how much a TWD or WW pin was. It's obviously going to be a very narrow subset of people who buy it and I am sure they will enjoy it tremendously.

#24 9 years ago

I most likely will. I've spent the last month or so trying to finish insulation, electrical and paneling in the party barn. I might be just about finished by the time this pin arrives. It's such a beautiful game, I need to find a place in the gameroom where it can be exposed without sliding it into a line of pins.

#25 9 years ago

I have not played it, but wouldn't buy it anyway. I'm not so much into the theme or the folksy cornpone type humor. Could care less about the fruit crate stand.

However, I hope they may make another of this type of game, maybe with Dragon, Wizards or some type of fantasy theme (Conan or somethig I don't know) which I wouuld surely consider. Don't need crate to keep it up, just ordinary legs might keep the cost down somewhat.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

I most likely will. I've spent the last month or so trying to finish insulation, electrical and paneling in the party barn. I might be just about finished by the time this pin arrives. It's such a beautiful game, I need to find a place in the gameroom where it can be exposed without sliding it into a line of pins.

if I was single this pin would be in my bedroom!

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Me too, because there's no way I'd pay this kind of money for this pin.

There is no way I will be paying that much money for any pin.

#28 9 years ago

if it was $4k I would seriously consider putting one on location just to see if it would make any money and if not it would look great at home... at $5500+ nope, not worth the risk

#29 9 years ago

The real question is, at $5.5K, why not just grab a real kick-ass EM for 1/10th that? I think my next game/project is definitely going to be an EM, solely for reasons of skillful play and because I know nothing about them.

#30 9 years ago

I have to admit, I was suprised at TPF with the game. I played it about 4 times; and unlike many EM's; readily enjoyed playing. The art was great, and loved the wood rails.

But is price point is probleamtic. Too much for what it is............

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

The real question is, at $5.5K, why not just grab a real kick-ass EM for 1/10th that? I think my next game/project is definitely going to be an EM, solely for reasons of skillful play and because I know nothing about them.

yup... and it isn't like there is any shortage of em titles that are kick ass... there are hundreds of them...

yea right, you know you are getting one cuz you wanna hang out in the dingy dark "em corner" of pinside with us em guys (not to mention be part of the tabby alliance)...

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Because it's just not an EM? For better or for worse, however EM-inspired it might be, it's just not an EM and it's not really competing with them.

And frankly if someone found a NIB Abra Ca Dabra or something you don't think it would sell for that kind of money?

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Because it's just not an EM? For better or for worse, however EM-inspired it might be, it's just not an EM and it's not really competing with them.
And frankly if someone found a NIB Abra Ca Dabra or something you don't think it would sell for that kind of money?

It is EM inspired, but plays mostly like an EM from what I can tell, I think it is more or less an EM for non-EM guys. People that don't want an EM, but want the unique game play of one and the skill/nudging involved.

As far as finding a NIB EM, that isn't even a good hypothetical because it doesn't exist. Of course some collector would pay top dollar for that game NIB, but that is because it is a collectible. WNBJM just came out.

Odin posted this 2 years ago: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-machine-nib
The argument there was the same here, the price point makes no sense. Too many good DMD game that can be had for around $2K or so to even consider $5.5k for an EM inspired game.

download (3).jpgdownload (3).jpg
The Price is just Too Damn High!

I am not poo-pooing this game, it looks beautiful and looks fun. Just I personally cannot justify that price tag.

#34 9 years ago

Wow! That was a long time ago.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I am not poo-pooing this game, it looks beautiful and looks fun. Just I personally cannot justify that price tag.

yep 100% agreed, looks like a really great fun game with beautiful art, the only thing not to love is the crazy price tag

#36 9 years ago

"Too many good DMD game that can be had for around $2K or so to even consider $5.5k for an EM inspired game."

That's exactly what I tried to say before.... I like EM games too, but not that $$ much!

#37 9 years ago

I believe a local collector/operator still has a Capt. Fantastic new in box. So, yes, they can still exist. There still may be another find like the Time Travel Warehouse find of John's Jukes up in Canada. Ya never know........

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

"Too many good DMD game that can be had for around $2K or so to even consider $5.5k for an EM inspired game."

On the other hand there are more good EM games that can be had for less than the price of third rate DMD games. And from what we are learning now, had a much higher BOM comparatively speaking.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

On the other hand there are more good EM games that can be had for less than the price of third rate DMD games. And from what we are learning now, had a much higher BOM comparatively speaking.

Only you have to be an orange cat to fix those ones, and I'm not talking about me. I'm nervous about getting my first one to be honest, I have a feeling it is going to be more work to clean/restore than anything I've done previously. I'm trying to mentally prep myself for the screw ups.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Only you have to be an orange cat to fix those ones, and I'm not talking about me. I'm nervous about getting my first one to be honest, I have a feeling it is going to be more work to clean/restore than anything I've done previously. I'm trying to mentally prep myself for the screw ups.

I had never seen inside one until I got my first one a few years ago. With a little patience, a good schematic, and all the online help, it now seems like child's play.

#41 9 years ago

Its just too bad that Greg and Dennis didn't designed the Backglass and Playfield around a GOOD, readily available EM title with the intent to make conversion kits. Due to cost of import, it was not out of the ordinary outside the US, to retrofit older games with new artwork and possibly improved rules (similar to the Lost Vegas project).

They could have sold more P/F, B/G, and plastic sets if they had used something other than Continental Cafe. And we wouldn't even be discussing a $5500 hybrid.

#42 9 years ago

I am glad that you like the game, but I doubt anyone with <10 pins will be investing in it. It's a fun art piece and a great change of pace, but so are a lot of em games, and they cost soooooo much less. The only thing I would do is order a back glass and mount it on my wall, $400 sounds way better than $6000, but I guarantee if it was under 5 I would have bought one which shows you how much price really does matter to the majority of collectors.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

as long as you stick with it, people here will stick with you to get you through it... you'll pick it up quick... they look "scary", but they really aren't... once you get past the fact that there are a billion parts in there, you realize that there aren't a billion DIFFERENT parts... just the same half dozen or so, used over and over... so once you've rebuilt a few score reels, there's no longer any fear, it is just a routine task...

read clay's guide over and over, learn to read a schematic, and it will sink it...

i dragged home a dead beater as my first machine a few years ago... between clay, pinwiki, here, and patience, i got it to run and play well...

Quoted from o-din:

I had never seen inside one until I got my first one a few years ago. With a little patience, a good schematic, and all the online help, it now seems like child's play.

yea... the online help can't be underestimated... 10 years ago, i'd have had no shot at learning how to fix one... now, if you just read every tech thread that comes up here, you can acquire years of "hands on like" experience in a very short period of time... class is in session every day, all you gotta do is attend...

and it really only takes a bit of time to learn to read a schematic... again, intimidating looking, but not bad at all once you start digging into it....

#44 9 years ago

If this was priced anywhere close to what the Retro King of Diamonds was, I think it would be a decent value and viewed quite differently.

I know like most of us when I first saw WNBJM, I thought it was beautiful and different, but also thought it would be around the $4K mark, I really wish they had looked at this project as sell a lot at a reasonable price, rather than sell a few at a high price, IMO it's not what the pinball market needed right now.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

once you get past the fact that there are a billion parts in there, you realize that there aren't a billion DIFFERENT parts... just the same half dozen or so, used over and over...

That's really it, isn't it? I've never heard it put exactly like that. Exactly right. The bad part is that you need to figure out which of the million things is acting up and why. That's most of the fun though.

#46 9 years ago

Starting this thread would be my idea of an April Fool's joke.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Starting this thread would be my idea of an April Fool's joke.

Gotcha!

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Meh. Whadda you know?!?!

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

That's really it, isn't it? I've never heard it put exactly like that. Exactly right. The bad part is that you need to figure out which of the million things is acting up and why. That's most of the fun though.

yup... em pinball machines are like chinese food... 8 ingredients put together a couple hundred different ways...

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yup... em pinball machines are like chinese food... 8 ingredients put together a couple hundred different ways...

Ok, That just made me laugh out loud!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-mind-change/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.