• Latest reply 4 years ago by Fulltilt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

052CF8FB-20B5-4F97-BBB9-7E2A30C9B52F (resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

I have a Whoa Nellie on location. I thought it would be cool to make a topper with a full size DMD in it that would be easy to read during tournaments. In theory it would just need a splitter for the ribbon cable and power connectors. I called Stern tech support to see if there was any reason this wouldn't work. I found out the current software would not allow this to work but an update would be possible. So, if anyone else thinks this is a good idea just give Stern a shout and let them know this is something you want. If enough people ask for it maybe it will happen.

#2 8 years ago

It would be cool if the DMD topper was encased in a watermelon. I can't for the life of me read that tiny one.

#3 8 years ago

Great idea, count me in if someone makes one

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Great idea, count me in if someone makes one

We have to get Stern to update the software first. Give them a shout and let them know you want this.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It would be cool if the DMD topper was encased in a watermelon. I can't for the life of me read that tiny one.

A watermelon would look great. I was thinking of a wood frame made of the same wood as the siderails and stained to match with some nice Melanie plastics or artwork around it. The frame could make the backbox the same height as the rest of my Sterns in a lineup. Another idea might be to make a pickup truck topper like the truck on the backglass with the DMD as the cargo in the back of the truck.

#6 8 years ago

My mini DMD just shit itself after 2 hours play! A duplicate big banger on top would be very cool indeed. great idea and I dare say I would be in for one.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

My mini DMD just shit itself after 2 hours play! A duplicate big banger on top would be very cool indeed. great idea and I dare say I would be in for one.

I accidentally loosened the ribbon cable on mine once when my fingers slipped off the clamp latch for the lockdown bar. Hopefully that's all it is with yours.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

I accidentally loosened the ribbon cable on mine once when my fingers slipped off the clamp latch for the lockdown bar. Hopefully that's all it is with yours.

unfortunately not, unpacked at the distributors and that's where it went bung!
I got it home and it is still a lot of fun to play!

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

unfortunately not, unpacked at the distributors and that's where it went bung!
I got it home and it is still a lot of fun to play!

Mine went out for a bit, 6 or so power off on sessions later and it came back on.
I also tried the full size dmd route. Planned to frame it in distressed wood or an old fruit crate and set it on top.
Only top 3 lines of the dmd lit up. I talked to Chas at stern and he too told me it could be done with a software re-write.
Crossing fingers.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

Mine went out for a bit, 6 or so power off on sessions later and it came back on.
I also tried the full size dmd route. Planned to frame it in distressed wood or an old fruit crate and set it on top.
Only top 3 lines of the dmd lit up. I talked to Chas at stern and he too told me it could be done with a software re-write.
Crossing fingers.

Mine is completely blank now.

3 weeks later
#11 8 years ago

Count me in for the topper. I'm taking delivery of my Whoa Nellie tomorrow. Can't wait!!

2 months later
#12 8 years ago

I still need to unbox mine...Dan, when are you coming up for the unboxing event?

1 week later
#13 8 years ago

WNBJM un-boxed last night although I did not build the crate (yet). Lovin' the game and call outs. Why did I wait so long.....What is the long cord that is in with the crate parts?

1 year later
#14 7 years ago

Mike, any progress on your idea here? I may give Stern another call on the code. Seems like Pabst would need it too so that helps the cause

#15 7 years ago

Just purchased the pin and will pick it up in a couple weeks. What's the story behind a DMD topper?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Mike, any progress on your idea here? I may give Stern another call on the code. Seems like Pabst would need it too so that helps the cause

No, Stern has not changed code to support the idea. The long cord supplied with the game is to install a dollar bill acceptor.

2 years later
#17 4 years ago

Let's redirect this idea. I know someone can design this idea in this group

#18 4 years ago

Would love to see this done.
Would love it even more if it was in theme ( ie; distressed wood ) and possibly some bells either side!
Moooooooooooooore cow bells

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

WNBJM un-boxed last night although I did not build the crate (yet). Lovin' the game and call outs. Why did I wait so long.....What is the long cord that is in with the crate parts?

Post a pic? I don't remember a long cord. Anyone else know what that might be?

BTW: I'm in for a topper for sure.

#20 4 years ago

Code was updated on January 25th this year. Here is the read me list of changes:

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/WN_1_55_0-README.txt

Latest code is 1.55.0:

https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/gamecode/WN-1_55_0.spk

Code was also updated for Pabst Can Crusher and Primus.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Bill acceptor power supply cable. See this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-dba-hook-up#post-3778951

#22 4 years ago

i've always talked about doing this for my primus on location. what does the software have to do with it? can't the data signal to the mini lcd screen and the high power just be split and connected to an external DMD?

5 months later
#23 4 years ago

The latest code update addresses the small display going blank. So maybe that would also address an additional display?

1 week later
#24 4 years ago

Nellie got some new friends in World Beauties.
Not as sweet as she is though.
All I still have it the cow bell topper. Sure would like to see this project succeed.

Yes! The phone is plugged in and working. (:

052CF8FB-20B5-4F97-BBB9-7E2A30C9B52F (resized).jpeg052CF8FB-20B5-4F97-BBB9-7E2A30C9B52F (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-dmd-topper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.