Topic Stats

• 249 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by belairjoe
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 72 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC00039.jpg
DSC00044.jpg
DSC00020.jpg
DSC00042.jpg
DSCN1505.jpg
DSCN1506.jpg
DSC_0170.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image-432.jpg
image-16.jpg
image-72.jpg
image.jpg
DSCN1440.jpg
DSCN1442.jpg
WNBJM_.pdf (PDF preview)

There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 4 years ago

Logan Arcade just did it with old gottlieb chimes. With their testing, no diodes were used.

#202 4 years ago

Chas from Stern got back as well. No diode needed.

At this point, just waiting for chimes to arrive.

1 week later
#204 4 years ago

Downloaded the new 1.51 update, but doesn't seem to want to install.
Some help would be appeciated

2 questions:
- Stern update instructions state the update file ends xx.spv. The download ends xx.spk
- I have the new DMD card supplied with the trim kit. Tried replacing the old with the new. Doesn't seem to work. What the heck am I doing?!

Thanks!

#205 4 years ago

Make sure all is off and then replace the SDD card and turn on.
Then turn off again and insert the downloaded update with NO OTHER DATA on it. the data you have is ok.
Turn machine on and it will automatically update , will show status in the mini DMD, give it some time.
When downloaded to machine, turn off again ( thats what I did ) and remove USB.
turn on again nd should be done.

#206 4 years ago

I tried replacing the SD card first and doing the power on.... machine seemed to do nothing but sit with a flashing LED on the board. Never did come back to life at all. Is that normal prior to powering down and plugging in the USB update? Seems very strange.

#207 4 years ago

In order to assure a successful update to code version 1.51 on Whoa Nellie games, please be sure that your game is at code revision level v1.50 prior to attempting the update to v1.51. Version 1.50 was sent to all customers as an SD card in order to facilitate installation. If you did not receive the v1.50 update kit from your dealer or distributor please contact Stern Technical Support at 1-800-KICKERS and we will send you the appropriate SD card. As always, please follow update instructions.

#208 4 years ago

Fulltilt-

I see you have the 1.50 card with the trim kit. The machine looks dead when the coin door is open. Assuming the SD card is fully in, does the game come up when you close the coin door?

#209 4 years ago

Also apparently still a thing: use a small USB memory stick. 4 gig worked. 16 gig did not. Not sure that the maximum USB stick size is before it fails. I can say that tricks like partitioning (either gpt or mbr) don't help.

Jtaudio: would be awesome if we could use "dd" to write sd card images directly. Would be a hack of a lot faster

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from jtaudio:

Fulltilt-
I see you have the 1.50 card with the trim kit. The machine looks dead when the coin door is open. Assuming the SD card is fully in, does the game come up when you close the coin door?

The only card that came with my trim kit appears to be the DMD upgrade card. It did not have a 1.50 update version.
I was trying to use a 16GB stick to upgrade to the 1.51. I'll try with a smaller stick and see how it goes.

#211 4 years ago

One success. Changing to a 2gb memory stick worked perfectly to get the 1.51 upgrade installed! Right off I LOVE the lane lit memory default.

The DMD upgrade that came with the trim kit still does nothing. I'm assuming I just install it in the slot?? Came with 0 instructions. Nothing works that way. But the old DMD version seems to be working ok.

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Logan Arcade just did it with old gottlieb chimes. With their testing, no diodes were used.

Gottlieb chimes ran on 24 volts. So if that is what Whoa Nellie is using for its chime hookup, original coils will be OK. Be careful of coil selection if voltage is higher. Also prior to 1978 Gottlieb used AC not DC current.

#213 4 years ago

Good to know. Whoa Nelly is actually doing 48vdc. Possibly PWM to be able to tone down the coils (this last bit is a guess).

Personally.. I have a set on order from chimeunit.com with 26-1300 coils. The game specs out 26-1200. McCullough had the 26-1300's on the shelf already. If that doesn't draw enough power for some reason I'll get McCullough to wind 26-1200. Once it comes in I will document it up.

2 weeks later
#214 4 years ago

Was having trouble updating my wnbjm, finally got it to update with the original sd card and small usb flash drive.
I'm curious about the new sd card labled dmd. Hoping it will eventually allow the use of a full size dmd. Currently cant get the game to boot with that card in it, although it will boot and play with the original card.

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

Was having trouble updating my wnbjm, finally got it to update with the original sd card and small usb flash drive.
I'm curious about the new sd card labled dmd. Hoping it will eventually allow the use of a full size dmd. Currently cant get the game to boot with that card in it, although it will boot and play with the original card.

Ditto same issue. I received the trim kit with the new "DMD" card. Game won't boot with. No info on how to get it to work. The game system update worked fine.

#216 4 years ago

Talked to Chas at stern, they got a bad batch of sd cards.
He's sending me a new one.
Just call them.

#217 4 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

Just call them.

Must be some el' cheapo SD cards....
Stern will just tell me to "contact your distributor"

#218 4 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

Just call them.

Is that why so many people have Kiss machines that are broken?

#219 4 years ago

Are these just using SD cards to update code or are they running off it? It is my experience that SD card readers don't last very long.

#220 4 years ago

Chas told me they used to use "Kingston" brand and had no problems. Switched to a different brand and now the issues.
I'm sure kiss uses the same set up, not sure if that is causing problems?

#221 4 years ago

My son and I played this at ReplayFX this past weekend and have to say we both really liked the game. I was surprised as to how much my son (teenager) liked the game as it doesn't have the "toys" like the newer games do! Just hard to justify paying 6500 for it when I can get TH for 1k more.

#222 4 years ago

Everybody keeps mentioning $6500 price, lol, you should call a distributor and get a quote, you might be surprised.

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

Everybody keeps mentioning $6500 price, lol, you should call a distributor and get a quote, you might be surprised.

True, but I think the game would need to be closer to the $3k mark for it to have a broader audience. When some truly classic EMs and early SS games (arguably offering a similar gameplay experience to WNBJM) can be found for less than $1k, it's tough for WNBJM to contend.

#224 4 years ago

While I agree that the price should have been lower, probably closer to 4k than 3k, I love this game.
I have some A titles in my collection but honestly haven't turned anything on but Nellie in the past several months.
I played it at Allentown for the first time before I even received mine. I couldn't hear the sounds or music, they had them set too shallow and slow and I only got to play a game or two because of the lines. After owning it now for several months it is a difficult game to master and extremely fun. "one more game factor" has me constantly hitting start again and again.
I don't need to sell anyone on it as I'm happy with mine and that's all that matters, Just don't dismiss it as an overpriced,wannabe em that plays slow until you put 5 or 6 games on one that's set up steep and level.

#225 4 years ago

I'm really glad to read all of these positive impressions. I would love to play it and, as someone who really digs EMs, would like to own one someday. Maybe in a year or two, when current owners have a new itch to scratch, I'll be able to afford one...

#226 4 years ago

Some people will just never give it a chance because they either see it as a way overpriced EM or they play it at a show where you can't really hear it or fully understand it. I can tell you this, it's one of only two games in our current collection that we consider untouchable and is going nowhere.

#227 4 years ago

Great stuff (especially from Dan), I really need to unbox mine someday soon and get it set up. I just don;t have space for it until I sell a few games but perhaps it will live in the family room for 2015

#228 4 years ago

What do you need to sell Bill?
My wish list has quickly become filled but you never know what else I might need.
If you need help setting up Nellie, I'll be glad to come help?

#229 4 years ago

For those of you near San Jose, CA .. you're welcome to check mine out. PM me for arrangements.

#230 4 years ago

There is one on location a Kickback in Pittsburgh

#231 4 years ago

I put quite a bit of time on Nellie at PHOF over the last 3 days. I really love the layout, definitely one of the better ones I've seen (comparing to EMs). Rules are pretty classic EM type and I liked them. Of course it has a modern twist with the sounds etc.

The pin looks great. I found the gameplay to be pretty addicting, and I put quite a bit of money in it to keep playing.

So my overall impressions are definitely positive. For me personally, I still think the price of these are too high for what it is, but at least it *is* fun to play, and it does look great.

#232 4 years ago

After looking at other nellies that have the front crate lit up and mine really wasn't, I decided to investigate. My LEDs that shine down from the cabinet were actually shining on the wood trim of the crate. I tried loosening the bolts holding the pin to the crate and sliding it forward but it wouldn't move far enough.
I ended up removing both LEDs and used the existing holes to run wires to Cointaker post LEDs.
I screwed them to the bottom of the cabinet at an angle towards the crate. I picked up 12vdc from the coin door interface board and now she looks much better!!image.jpgimage.jpg

#233 4 years ago

I played this a few times at Pinburgh, it really surprised me. I pretty liquored at the time but had a lot of fun and would gladly play this again. Now the bad, there is no way I would pay the selling price for distributors on this machine right now. It is underrated for game play and fun factor but is it way overrated on price. Too bad if these were at a better price point I bet they would sell a ton of them.

#234 4 years ago

Added the fluorescent plastic protectors. IMO they are great! I was surprised how much wear I was already seeing under the gobble hole plastic from ball hits.

DSC_0170.JPG

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from DuckBrian:

Some people will just never give it a chance because they either see it as a way overpriced EM

That's me to a tee!

#236 4 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

If you need help setting up Nellie, I'll be glad to come help?

Awesome, let's unbox this puppy soon, I'll buy the beer

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

I have some A titles in my collection but honestly haven't turned anything on but Nellie in the past several months.

I have several as you say "A" title EMS in my collection and the DMDs rarely get turned on anymore. I'm guessing some with Whoa Nellie are experiencing the same thing. That the game doesn't need to last a half hour to be fun and addictive and two inch flippers do and always have ruled the universe.

#238 4 years ago

Video of Keith Elwin playing some WNBJM:

#239 4 years ago

Sweet!! Love seeing some one so good working so hard like I do on this great pin.

#240 4 years ago

Bring him over here someday. I'd like to see him take on the Big Daddy challenge.

#241 4 years ago

Nailed a cigarette holder on my girl today, STOKED and I don't even smoke any more!DSCN1505.JPGDSCN1506.JPG

#242 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Bring him over here someday. I'd like to see him take on the Big Daddy challenge.

You should have a Big Daddy wall of Fame ... Shall I bring a 8x4 photo when I come next time?

rd

#243 4 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

I heard an estimate of 300... 30 were produced in the first batch.

300 makes it rare and scarce! Just like acdc bib.I think that was 300 limited edition

#244 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You should have a Big Daddy wall of Fame ... Shall I bring a 8x4 photo when I come next time?
rd

That's a good idea RD!
But, you might need an 11X14 once you finish eating all that Chicago goodness!

#245 4 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

That's a good idea RD!
But, you might need an 11X14 once you finish eating all that Chicago goodness!

True that!

rd

#246 4 years ago

Big Daddy's not that hard. The last guy beat the challenge on one game. I would have liked to have seen that.

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Added the fluorescent plastic protectors. IMO they are great! I was surprised how much wear I was already seeing under the gobble hole plastic from ball hits.
DSC_0170.JPG

Hey Don

Can you order me some and I pay you back when I make it over to Sam's Club
Thanks
Buddy

#248 4 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Nailed a cigarette holder on my girl today, STOKED and I don't even smoke any more!DSCN1505.JPG DSCN1506.JPG

Nice touch.

1 week later
#249 4 years ago

hi all-thought I would post a few photos of whoa Nellie at our home arcade. our crew of 4 played this game at wisc. show...we all agree that we never heard 60% of the call outs,nutty noises,or great rockabilly music.dennis brought this to our home arcade over the weekend.in a party setting this machine was huge hit.not because it was new..because people got a chance to hear this game and play more than they could at show in a relaxed setting.beer also helped.i know we are not owners but thought I would give this game a triple thumbs up in a party setting.DSC00042.JPGDSC00020.JPGDSC00044.JPGDSC00039.JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 7.00
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods
€ 279.00
Displays
PINBALLSP
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 4,199.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside