image.jpg
image-432.jpg
image-16.jpg
image-72.jpg
image.jpg
DSCN1440.jpg
DSCN1442.jpg
WNBJM_.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 8 years ago

Hey all, look what arrived this Wednesday... We have it on the legs for now until we get things organized, then we'll get the bottom crate together and I'll put up better pics.

For those of you confused about delivery location: (from my avatar..) Yes I'm currently living in Switzerland, so my friend Ger and his family agreed to take care of Melony until I'm back stateside and can move her to our home. Yes, my wife is even cool enough to authorize an overseas purchase for a game we can't even play yet.. it's nuts!!! WNBJM was delivered to our Stern distributor near Philly and they delivered and helped set it up. Great job guys, thanks for everything.

Been following Greg and Dennis' project for a long time now.. Finally - it's melon season in PA!

20150512_212934_resized.jpg20150512_212934_resized.jpg
#152 8 years ago

Congrats, something to look forward to when you come back home!

#153 8 years ago

The crate is awesome. Totally needs the crate.

But, that said, it still looks sweet on normal legs.

#154 8 years ago

If Whiz bang has another pin coming I'm hoping some drop targets, A western theme !

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

If Whiz bang has another pin coming I'm hoping some drop targets, A western theme !

Yes, you read my mind. lets make sure they are resetting drop targets, etc....

I hope they stay politically incorrect as the 1950, and 60's pins were including Frontiersman, Daisy May, Square Head, and Stagecoach to name just a few. Classic American art!! Bring us more, please.

#156 8 years ago

For those maintaining their games list on Pinside.. Note there is a new WNBJM listing (as Stern) to differentiate from the original 2012 builds.

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-stern

#157 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

For those maintaining their games list on Pinside.. Note there is a new WNBJM listing (as Stern) to differentiate from the original 2012 builds.
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-stern

Saw that today...

#158 8 years ago

Looking to buy one very soon. However, several people speak of corner trim missing. Can someone post a pic so I will know when I get mine ? Thanks !!

#159 8 years ago

The missing trim hasn't shipped yet. They were missed on the first batch (of ~30?) machines, and something they were supposed to fix going forward.

This is a side view; the corner still has the leg protectors on. When the trim comes, those protectors will come off and the trim will be attached instead.

2015-05-08 13.50.12.jpg2015-05-08 13.50.12.jpg
#160 8 years ago

Thanks for the pic !!

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

The missing trim hasn't shipped yet. They were missed on the first batch (of ~30?) machines, and something they were supposed to fix going forward.
This is a side view; the corner still has the leg protectors on. When the trim comes, those protectors will come off and the trim will be attached instead.

2015-05-08 13.50.12.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Are you happy with the game?

#162 8 years ago

I am . Happier now that I changed all the lights to warm colored.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-warmer-melony-in-wnbjm-stern-spike-led#post-2460287

I am considering adding real chimes. But haven't yet figured out what I want to do there.

Note the game does have a few bugs that I have asked my distriubtor to forward to Stern.

SCORE REELS:
When: Standard adjustment #24 "Allow High Scores" YES
When: Feature Adjustment #6 "Reels Show High Scores" NO
Observed: Reels show high scores for minutes after end of game
Expected: Reels show only last score(s); only DMD to show high scores.
VERSION: V1.1 SYS. 1.68 HDW. 3

ATTENUATION
When: Feature Adjustment #24 "Music Attenuation" 60 (Max)
When: Feature Adjustment #25 "Speech Attenuation" 60 (Max)
When: Feature Adjustment #26 "SFX Attenuation" 60 (Max)
Observed: Sounds for these categories still play (just at lower volume).
Expected: Sounds for these categories fully muted.

TECHNICIAN ALERTS
Observed: 58 switches reporting problems when game plays fine, and all
switches work as expected when manually tested.
Expected: 0 switches reporting problems

#163 8 years ago

How do you update the code with a SPIKE system? Is it still the same way as on SAM?

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from ChiroCop:

How do you update the code with a SPIKE system? Is it still the same way as on SAM?

WiFi

#165 8 years ago

This game is really teaching me when *not* to flip. The smaller flippers, compared to DMD era, are .. educational.

#166 8 years ago

WIFI? Maybe someday but not now ... USB updates.

#167 8 years ago

Ours arrived Friday, got assembled Saturday (PITA, but worth it!) and got played heavily during our party on Sunday! Love it!

dungeon 2.jpgdungeon 2.jpg
2 weeks later
#168 8 years ago

Set up my girl at our STERN distributors here in Western Australia, Kids Just Wanna Have Fun.
Let the whole Monday night crew give her a whirl before it gets delivered tomorrow. The crate is awaiting! Record set at 15 minutes to assemble, plenty of practice at IKEA!
Thanks Joe for getting it to me, Stern for making it and Dennis and Greg for a firkin ripper of a retro game
BIG THUMBS UP!

DSCN1363.JPGDSCN1363.JPG DSCN1380.jpgDSCN1380.jpg
#169 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you break yours, send them the pieces and $$$ and they'll sell you a new one. If they have any left.
They don't want people making premiums into LE's.
LTG : )™
Disclaimer : It is a shame. There are some I would have liked to have to hang on the wall.

That makes sense, so don't make the premium look like the LE. Just sayin'

#170 8 years ago

Now in its hole!DSCN1393.jpgDSCN1393.jpg

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Set up my girl at our STERN distributors here in Western Australia, Kids Just Wanna Have Fun.

Whoa Australia, cool! Probably as far from Chicago Melony and family have traveled yet! Enjoy down there, I eventually have to get more pics of ours up here...

#172 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgWho wants a beer?// Error: Image 417387 not found //// Error: Image 417387 not found //

#173 8 years ago

I hope my can comes soon as it looks very, very cool. Enjoy this game as much as I do. I seriously have not turned on another machine since getting her.
Super, simple fun.

#174 8 years ago

She is a real head turner

#175 8 years ago

Jus got mine set up a little while ago. Loving it so far.

I lowered all the default high scores and then cleared the tables but now when the game is in attract the reels spin to show the high scores. Does anyone know how to disable this? I thought turning off the setting in feature adjustments "reels display high scores" or something like that would turn this feature off but it has no effect. I even tried rebooting the game. Still no luck. Any suggestions?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#176 8 years ago

Same STERN portal, so should be simple thing like - show HSTD, yes or no!

#177 8 years ago

ChrisVW: this is a bug. I reported it to stern via my distributor. If high scores are enabled, the scores are shown on the reels no matter what..

Might be worth asking your distributor to forward a complaint to Stern.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

ChrisVW: this is a bug. I reported it to stern via my distributor. If high scores are enabled, the scores are shown on the reels no matter what..
Might be worth asking your distributor to forward a complaint to Stern.

I forwarded them a copy as well. Hopefully it gets fixed in the next update.

I also found that turning on skill shot awards a Lane does nothing as well. Lots of bugs to find.

#179 8 years ago

The high score reels issue is still a bug in 1.5

The skill shot adding a lane appears to be default behavior in 1.5

(1.5 is being sent with the wood trim kit for the early games)

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

The high score reels issue is still a bug in 1.5
The skill shot adding a lane appears to be default behavior in 1.5
(1.5 is being sent with the wood trim kit for the early games)

Is 1.5 the version with the new speech? Greg and Dennis were here in Seattle a few weeks ago and said the next update would have a huge speech and sfx improvement.

#181 8 years ago

Yeah there is more. I can't quantify it so much as I try and turn that down as much as possible. I still need to get around to putting in bells/chimes and turning the audio off entirely.

#182 8 years ago

Just got " the kit " which has latest code update, un-crushed can and replacement wood covers when using crate.
Now I seem to keep getting the ball stuck at top left bumper and side rubber?( good for points, but Geez ) any one else having this issue? how did you resolve? please help as it is a little bug that is driving me firkin bonkers!

#183 8 years ago

You can fix that in multiple ways:

1) In adjustments, look for the pop bumper strength and dial that up or down a tad.
2) Adjust the pitch of your game slightly and the ball should react differently and fix the issue.

#184 8 years ago

We like a 6 degree pitch. Plays fast and snappy. Haven't seen the ball do that on any 6 degree games. In fact, I've only seen that on one other game. Don't know what its pitch was.

#185 8 years ago

Thats the funny thing, before update it was no drama. No change apart from software? Dialled coil power up and down, still no joy, thinking about moving the post or something. ( last resort )
I have it set at about 6.5deg on the crate! AWESOME game.

#186 8 years ago

Can you take a picture of it when stuck? Maybe someone will see something in that picture.

6.5 slant here, no issues relating to the ball getting hung up.

#187 8 years ago

it rebounds between these 2 points marked and doesn't stop until tilted or coin door opened to switch off HV to coils.
What is your setting on bumper power and what version you running Dude? cheersWNBJM .pdfWNBJM .pdf

#188 8 years ago

V1.5 SYS 1.68 HDW. 3

Standard Adjustment #43 Coil Pulse Power - Normal
Feature Adjustment #9 Trough Power - 155
Feature Adjustment #10 Eject Power - 155
Feature Adjustment #11 Flipper Power - 210
Feature Adjustment #12 Slingshot Power - 200
Feature Adjustment #13 Pop Bumper Power - 200

These are all defaults as shipped with the SD card bundled with the trim kit.

#189 8 years ago

Now I seem to keep getting the ball stuck at top left bumper and side rubber?( good for points, but Geez ) any one else having this issue? how did you resolve? please help as it is a little bug that is driving me firkin bonkers!

I see this about one in 20 games. I've tried adjusting the coil power with no luck.

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I see this about one in 20 games. I've tried adjusting the coil power with no luck.

weird huh! only did it with software upgrade? gonna try a few ideas and will post if I have success.

#191 8 years ago

weird huh! only did it with software upgrade? gonna try a few ideas and will post if I have success.

Very strange. I've played two other games and those didn't have the issue. I don't have the latest software pack that's going around either.

The only other game I've ever seen do this is TOTAN.

#192 8 years ago

I think it is now sorted.
I first adjusted the leaf switch back to centre as this had moved down towards bottom of play field, no joy.
Secondly I arranged the rubbers so that the angle was not perpendicular to the bumper, I did this by basically stretching the original rubber to the next post above and put a post rubber on the very top post getting rid of the smallest of the two rubbers in this area, much success.
Also had to adjust the leaf switch contact as it was now another 3mm away.
Hope these pictures explain it better.
Perpetually stoked.DSCN1442.jpgDSCN1442.jpgDSCN1440.jpgDSCN1440.jpg

#193 8 years ago

Looks like a good fix. Is the bulb safe? Must have been bad game design.....

#194 8 years ago

Bulb is safe. Bloody game designers! ha ha
It just decided it wanted to keep doing it after code update, nothing else changed apart from the weather. Weirdest thing ever.
BTW I love all the new BOB quotes for different players and the ability to keep the top rollovers, rolling over to the next ball. I can now get all four bumpers thumping from the gobble hole ( another great call out )
Surprises me no end. Loving it.

#195 8 years ago

DennisNordman, I'm looking at adding real chimes to mine. I know the node boards have 3 outputs for doing so, and I know the code is there (thank you!). Do you know the Spike system well enough to know whether the 26-1200 coils are with or without diodes, to drive the bells/chimes?

#196 8 years ago

I played it for the first time last Friday at Joystix in Houston and kept having the same issue. I had to shove it hard to get it to stop and most of the time it would tilt.

#197 8 years ago

New Code.

v1.51 - July 2, 2015
=======================

- All coils in game are now adjustable! Slow it down for a nice stroll through the fields. Crank it up and have those flippers hotter than a two dollar pistol!
- Melony has been studying hard and knows every player by name! Listen up for when it’s your turn to play! (Billy Bob, Bob Bob, Jim Bob, Shishkabob, and many more!)
- Scores tasting a little sour? Try the new lane carryover feature to ripen up those score reels!
- Once those scores are ready for high score harvest, we have brand new speech, music, and sounds (just don’t carve your initials in the wood)!
- Perked up the skill shot award. It's finer than frog hair. BAZOOOOOOMIEEEEEEE!
- Scores flying by too fast in a four player game? Game now waits for you to take a good look at your score before next player’s ball starts.
- Sounds now fully mute when their attenuation adjustment is set to 60.
- “Score reels show highscores” adjustment now works as advertised. You can track highscores without the score reels displaying them in attract mode.

Quoted from jfesler:

Note the game does have a few bugs that I have asked my distriubtor to forward to Stern.

FWIW all the issues (see above) I reported via my distributor to Stern, are now addressed. The missing trim has also been sent out. I've got no outstanding issues left to report to Stern, other than "I still suck at pinball". But we're enjoying the hell out of the game.

Had this code come out a day sooner, I might have put off ordering a chime kit from chimeunit.com . Since that is now already ordered, I'll go ahead and get that hooked up (hopefully it gets here in about a month) and report back how that works out. There are 3 dedicated headers just for the bells/chimes, to drive 26-1200 coils; and the code appears to be in the game; so why not?

#198 8 years ago

Seen elsewhere, Important for doing the update!

Quoted from Jared:

In order to assure a successful update  to code version 1.51 on Whoa Nellie  games, please be sure that your game is at code revision level v1.50 prior to attempting the update to v1.51. Version 1.50 was sent to all customers as an SD card in order to facilitate installation. If you did not receive the v1.50 update kit from your dealer or distributor please contact Stern Technical Support at 1-800-KICKERS and we will send you the appropriate SD card. As always, please follow update instructions.

#199 8 years ago

Hopefully we haven't seen the final update for Whoa Nellie yet. I did start one other thread hoping others would like the idea of adding a full size DMD topper to Whoa Nellie:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-dmd-topper

The current software doesn't allow this mod to be a possibility but new software could make it work. I'd like a full size DMD on top so people can easily keep track of scoring during tournaments. If you like the idea let Stern know and maybe it will be addressed in a future update.

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

DennisNordman, I'm looking at adding real chimes to mine. I know the node boards have 3 outputs for doing so, and I know the code is there (thank you!). Do you know the Spike system well enough to know whether the 26-1200 coils are with or without diodes, to drive the bells/chimes?

No, I'm sorry, I don't know that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-delivered/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.