image.jpg
image-432.jpg
image-16.jpg
image-72.jpg
image.jpg
DSCN1440.jpg
DSCN1442.jpg
WNBJM_.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

I love this machine. My daughter had high score at 2650, she went to bed and I rang it up to 4025.

I bet my daughter would like it too. She prefers simple to understand games. But mostly she prefers brutal games with two inch flippers.

#52 8 years ago

My youngest daughter (10) is my pin head. Once she learns the rules, she is very competitive.
She also played my cirqus for the first time last night and was excited with all it had to offer.

#53 8 years ago

I played it and what it really comes down to is - Do you like EM's?
I did not care for it, it plays slow and just lacks the attraction of newer pins.
But, I also get really bored playing old EM's - 2 balls and I am done.
So if EM's are your thing, you will love this pin - great theme and art work

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I did not care for it, it plays slow and just lacks the attraction of newer pins.
So if EM's are your thing, you will love this pin - great theme and art work

I played it for the first time at Allentown. They didn't have much pitch on them and they played slow.
Ive got mine set up a little steep and it makes it very fast.
I do like playing em style games but this one plays like an em on steroids.
Give it another chance and compete with someone or try breaking 4,000-5,000 points.

#55 8 years ago

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. First Whoa Nellie is not an EM. Second you mention EMs like they are all the same machine. Third most of my EMs play very fast. And forth you neglected to mention which ones you don't like. It would be like saying I don't like DMDs when Shaq Attack is the only one I had played.

#56 8 years ago

Unpacked ours today.

- Missing corner trim (all 4 corners)
- Crate assembly = lots of swearing
- Instructions.. need QA. Install the head bolts, before unpacking the headbolts?
- Head spacer (2 of them). 1 of the spacers, left side drilled with right side offset. Had to drill a new hole. 3/8" hole worked OK (original was 1/2")
- Manual .. is *far* from Stern's normal quality in terms of depth of information. Hmm.

Overall, looks great, now that it's put together. And sounds great, with the music/callouts attenuated..

Looks like the firmware has the settings for 3 bell circuits. Haven't looked closely enough to see if the schematics clearly call them out or not. The LCD menu doesn't identify the wires at all.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Does the LCD show all 4 scores at once so you know where you stand as you compete?

Yes. [Just checked.]

#58 8 years ago

I can second what jfesler said (I was the one putting the crate together) . While he was swearing at the headbolts. Also he forgot to mention there were wrong nuts for the #10-24 carriage bolts those required a trip to the hardware store.

#59 8 years ago

I should take back some of what I said about the documentation. Layout is certainly different; and board schematics missing. But, beyond that, it looks like the proper detail for what wires do what is there - just organized differently than I'm used to.

Bells for chimes: Documented. Looks to be designed to fire 26-1200 coils, for 1 point, 10, points, and 100 points (3 bell circuits total); and plugs into the same "Node 11" backbone 4-driver board.

Speaking of sound: Simply attenuating all but the synthetic bell sounds.. actually helps a lot. (In my opinion, of course!) You can effectively silence the music, callouts, sound effects, and synthetic bells (4 categories total).

#60 8 years ago

Mine arrived without goody bag or manual. Had the use legs until stern sends as the instructions
for crate assembly is in the manual.

#61 8 years ago

Wow, somebody at Stern better get their act together. Wrong nuts, missing manuals, trim, etc...

Unprofessional.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. First Whoa Nellie is not an EM. Second you mention EMs like they are all the same machine. Third most of my EMs play very fast. And forth you neglected to mention which ones you don't like. It would be like saying I don't like DMDs when Shaq Attack is the only one I had played.

It's just my perspective, makes sense in my head.
I played a bunch of EM's at Pinfest and could not get into any of them.
All the ones I played were slow and boring to me - that's just my perspective and opinion.
Whoa Nellie reminded me of an EM
I liked the art and sound package, just not the game play.

#63 8 years ago

I talked to stern about the missing trim, apparently they all went out without it.
as for the rest, my panels were all drilled correctly and I had all the correct hardware.
I do recall Dennis saying there was going to be an extra, uncrushed beer can in the coin box. I don't know if they changed that? The driver is set up to fire three real bells, but after hearing the cowbell I like it the way it is. Putting the crate together was time consuming but I love how it looks.

#64 8 years ago

My distributor says that Stern will follow up and get trim kits to distributors. Sounds like it was just a mistake that is getting rectified. As long as it is in a timely manner I'm willing to overlook it. This cabinet is a one off and different enough that there were bound to be mistakes.

#65 8 years ago

I played a bunch of EM's at Pinfest and could not get into any of them.

At least you disliked them enough to play a bunch.

#66 8 years ago
#67 8 years ago
#68 8 years ago

I like the look of this, but not the crate. Are legs an option?

#69 8 years ago

Comes with both crate and brown legs. Instructions have you start with the legs as an aid to getting it on the crate.

#70 8 years ago

Yes legs are included you actually set it up on legs before you build the crate. jfesler beat me to it.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

At least you disliked them enough to play a bunch.

Yeah, deep down I really wanted to like them, that's why i keep trying different ones.
Turns out, not my cup of tea. But, if you do like EM's I think you will love Whoa Nellie

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Yes. [Just checked.]

Where is this LCD located?

#73 8 years ago

Hey owners, share some pics! Would love to see these beauties set up in homes!

#74 8 years ago

But, if you do like EM's I think you will love Whoa Nellie

Thanks man! I wasn't trying to make a big deal about it, but I have definitely found some EMs are a lot funner than others. But with not many places to play ones set up right it is kind of a trial and error thing.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Where is this LCD located?

It's a tiny (and I mean really tiny) LCD screen in the bottom left corner of the apron.

#76 8 years ago

You basically have to look for it. It isn't too in your face or anything. It's easy to look past the tiny blue glowing window of DMD. But, if you do look, yes, all 4 scores are there; with the active player in bold. Just like a "real" DMD.. only tiny.

#77 8 years ago
2015-05-07 23.27.53.jpg2015-05-07 23.27.53.jpg
#78 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

You basically have to look for it. It isn't too in your face or anything. It's easy to look past the tiny blue glowing window of DMD. But, if you do look, yes, all 4 scores are there; with the active player in bold. Just like a "real" DMD.. only tiny.

I thought that this was very cool.

Way better than the 4 player King of Diamonds remake system. Of not showing scores except for active player.

#79 8 years ago

Also, at the end of the game: The score reels will bounce through the player scores every so often, for a coupe minutes.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

you mention EMs like they are all the same machine.

Pretty much.

#81 8 years ago

Not again! Tell you what, someday come by and take the Big Daddy challenge like everybody else and once you get 1000 pts. you can tell everybody that it was no big deal. And I won't say another word of it. But you will have to get 1500 pts. to break out the carving knife.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not again! Tell you what, someday come by and take the Big Daddy challenge like everybody else and once you get 1000 pts. you can tell everybody that it was no big deal. And I won't say another word of it. But you will have to get 1500 pts. to break out the carving knife.

What do I get if I fall asleep before I get to 1000 pts?

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What do I get if I fall asleep before I get to 1000 pts?

Jolt.jpgJolt.jpg

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

At least the head comes off like a real EM.

And the real advantage of the end user for the Spike system just showed up. Seriously....if they could do that with future games so the bloody things will fit through doors and be less heavy..it would be FANTASTIC.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Hey owners, share some pics! Would love to see these beauties set up in homes!

1724.JPG1724.JPG1725.JPG1725.JPG1726.JPG1726.JPG1727.JPG1727.JPG1728.JPG1728.JPG1729.JPG1729.JPG1734.JPG1734.JPG1735.JPG1735.JPG1736.JPG1736.JPG1737.JPG1737.JPG1738.JPG1738.JPG

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

Just went and picked mine up yesterday. I love this machine. My daughter had high score at 2650, she went to bed and I rang it up to 4025

so does it keep your high score on it's memory?

I would be greatly interested in a game like this, but maybe a different theme like dragons or space ships or cops and robbers or something. Just not a big fan of this theme.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

maybe a different theme like dragons or space ships or cops and robbers or something.

Maybe something like this? I've got two space themed EMs (not this one) and they are way cool.
spaceship.jpgspaceship.jpg

#88 8 years ago

It does keep top scores. Top 4 I believe. Have to turn it on in settings, then you can choose 3 initials or ten.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

It does keep top scores. Top 4 I believe. Have to turn it on in settings, then you can choose 3 initials or ten.

Of course, I keep forgetting this beauty also has a fully functional DMD!
Apparently the reels can also click to high score in attract mode? classic.

#90 8 years ago

After you finish a game, it clicks through the reels showing you the top 4 scores.
After a minute it stops clicking them as not to get annoying.

#91 8 years ago

Question that may or may not have been answered-

Is there anything to keep the game from sliding off of that crate in event of drunken stupidity? (bracket or any other kind of fastener?)

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from z28dan:

Just went and picked mine up yesterday. I love this machine. My daughter had high score at 2650, she went to bed and I rang it up to 4025.1724.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1725.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1726.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1727.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1728.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1729.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1730.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1732.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1733.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1734.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1735.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1735.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1736.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1737.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1738.JPG (Click image to enlarge)1731.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Nice collection!

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Question that may or may not have been answered-
Is there anything to keep the game from sliding off of that crate in event of drunken stupidity? (bracket or any other kind of fastener?)

There is 4 bolts that secure it to crate.
Crate also has leg levelers on bottom to raise pitch and/or level side to side

#94 8 years ago

If you have a line on this, send it to me--I miss my Jolt!

#95 8 years ago

Got Nellie up and running and love it! Instructions talk of being able to replace the leg bolt trim with smooth pieces of trim. No extra trim pieces were included.

If I missed it somewhere in the discussion, pardon, but I'd like to be able to add that finishing touch. Pingulps help but not completely.

DSC_0111.JPGDSC_0111.JPG

#96 8 years ago

The trim pieces didn't get included on the first games. It was not intentional and they should be included. You can call or email Stern tech support and they will get them sent out.

#97 8 years ago

Delivered today !20150508_212248.jpg20150508_212248.jpg20150508_212237.jpg20150508_212237.jpg20150508_202255.jpg20150508_202255.jpg20150508_195630.jpg20150508_195630.jpg20150508_194600.jpg20150508_194600.jpg20150508_194550.jpg20150508_194550.jpg

20150508_194535.jpg20150508_194535.jpg 20150508_212403.jpg20150508_212403.jpg
#98 8 years ago

The cabinet,playfield & Backglass are gorgeous.

#99 8 years ago

I wish a real backglass was an upgrade available for all there pins !

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I wish a real backglass was an upgrade available for all there pins !

Or in larger numbers later if you break one. SMB owners are screwed if theirs breaks.

LTG : )™

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-delivered/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.