469835.jpg
20150709_232846.jpg
DSC_0117.JPG
DSCN1363.JPG
DSCN1348.JPG
IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4527.jpeg
Jed.jpeg
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.
#1101 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, these anti gobble hole people don't seem to have a clue. Whether you are competing or not if the hole is lit for a bigger reward than you may have scored during the entire ball you take the shot and hope it drops in there. But that doesn't always happen. Also avoiding the hole or holes when they are not lit can also take great skill. The key word here is "skill" which at least at one time pinball was a game of.

Do you usually wait 5 months to continue a conversation?

#1102 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Do you usually wait 5 months to continue a conversation?

5 minutes or 5 months.. what's it to ya?

#1103 8 years ago

Now that many of you have owned your Whoa Nellies for several months now and the honeymoon phase is over, how are you liking them now? Still getting lots of play, or collecting dust and back to the DMDs?

#1104 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Still getting lots of play?

Mostly when guests are over. It makes a hell of a conversation piece Guests find it pretty easy to figure out how to play. Meanwhile, I can focus on shots (since, there is little in the way of strategy). No regrets here.

#1105 8 years ago

Still getting lots of play, or collecting dust and back to the DMDs?

It's getting the MOST play:

469835.jpg469835.jpg

#1106 8 years ago

It's interesting to see it earns well in location, but I'm curious for more feedback from owners.

#1107 8 years ago

It's interesting to see it earns well in location, but I'm curious for more feedback from owners.

Is there a difference between site or private to answer this question? no.
You either love it or you don't. How many people have to respond to satisfy this question? Are you sitting on the fence of buying one?
ANSWER; none as it is a low production unique game where most people won't get a chance to play as they are mainly in private collections. If you see one on site, play it and you may understand its beautiful simplicity.

#1108 8 years ago
#1109 8 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

You either love it or you don't. How many people have to respond to satisfy this question? Are you sitting on the fence of buying one?
ANSWER; none as it is a low production unique game where most people won't get a chance to play as they are mainly in private collections. If you see one on site, play it and you may understand its beautiful simplicity.

I agree, I was lucky enough to play one at Pintastic and it was great.......It was a stress reliever. That being said, when I go to pinball parties and owners have classics, it is a nice change to play one. No doubt there is beauty in simplicity, there comes a time, when everything slows down and you can appreciate something for what it is.

#1110 8 years ago

Played a bunch at Freeplay yesterday, and watched some talented people play....its like the game has invisible ramps!

The ball covers the entire playfield and is just so much fun!

Different then anything else! No better word then, "FUN!"

#1111 8 years ago

I've played the pin about 1/2 dozen times and enjoyed it. Do I really need to explain the difference between someone putting in a couple bucks on location vs long-term home ownership?

#1112 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

No better word then, "FUN!"

Sure there is... "Gobble hole".

#1113 8 years ago

The MSRP is what $5995? Are distributors lowering this price. I think I would take one for $4500 new in box. This game is starting to impress me more I look at it. What is the bottom line figure NIB going for right now?

#1114 8 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

The MSRP is what $5995? Are distributors lowering this price. I think I would take one for $4500 new in box. This game is starting to impress me more I look at it. What is the bottom line figure NIB going for right now?

I've hear low $5k.

#1115 8 years ago

Lowest I know of is $5100, but some have claimed they got it for less.

#1116 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's getting the MOST play:

469835.jpg

How are these points computed?

#1117 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

How are these points computed?

Operators around the country are polled on what game made the most money for the month.

#1118 8 years ago

Indy Jones 4 2nd best Is interesting. Never played it and have only read mostly negative reviews. Guess the divide is large between Avg Joe on the street and PS collectors tastes.

#1119 8 years ago

I played this game a ton this weekend at Free Play Florida. It really is a lot of fun. The two inch flippers are a lot of fun and the addition of the two posts behind the flippers is pure genius. The unique combination of flipper and nudging skills created by this configuration rather than a single center post brings on some amazing shot and save making. We had some exciting 2, 3 and 4 player games. This is a perfect party game because of the lack of multiballs and huge ball times. I love my DMD games but they might as well be one player games as far as I am concerned.

Considering the custom cabinet, the SPIKE internals, the quality of the gameplay and artwork, I'd say this game is a bargain at a little over $5k NIB. With only a couple hundred sold and parts for just a hundred or two more, I'd say this game will become an immediate collector item once the NIBs dry up. I've seriously considered buying one because I don't think the price will ever be this low in the future. On the other hand I have a hard time resisting the lure of a GOT Premium and two NIB games are not in the budget right now!

#1120 8 years ago

Indy Jones 4 2nd best Is interesting. Never played it and have only read mostly negative reviews. Guess the divide is large between Avg Joe on the street and PS collectors tastes.

IJ4 has *the* best multiball start in pinball in term of on-playfield effects, and it's relatively easy to get to.

The rest of the game sucks. The modes aren't interesting, there's not a lot of shots, and the way to play it for points is to grind the safe shots on the left for ages.

#1121 8 years ago

Sorry if someone has said this but... why not just go buy a real nice EM for $1000? It really seems to look & play like an average EM.

#1122 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Sorry if someone has said this but... why not just go buy a real nice EM for $1000? It really seems to look & play like an average EM.

Well same could be said for any new pin. Why not just save $3k and buy a JM instead of a Metallica or TWD they all have ramps, DMD's killer sound??

I am considering it b/c it's got the old school feel but has modern tech and call outs and great art package by Greg and what appears to be a fun design by Norm.

They are 2 talented guys and they were obviously passionate enough about it to create the original EM version a few years ago. Its got that It factor.

I just need to play it before I would lay down $5k because in the end maybe you are right. And on that note I would also like to see and play that King of Diamonds remake from a few years back. Updated Retro games is a great Idea but the potential buyers are to small.

#1123 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Operators around the country are polled on what game made the most money for the month.

Here is something that makes you wonder. If operators are the number 1 purchasers of pins from Stern, then why are the top earners out of production early? Avengers, Indiana Jones, Avatar... all great themes, but you do not see them with multiple runs or in production for long periods of time. VE's are IM, SM, and Tron, not IJ4, Avatar, or AV.

Either the numbers are wrong, the numbers are right but insignificant because of volume of game purchases, or Stern is ignorant about demand from operators of their product.

3 of the 10 are non licensed themes, which Gary says would kill Stern to produce as operators would not pre-order.

1/2 have been out of production for at least 5 years, with TAF out of production for over 20 years.

Interesting trying to figure what the numbers mean.

#1124 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

It honestly isn't anything like an EM. If you haven't played it then don't just look at some photos and assume it's the same thing, because it's not. There's really nothing else like it.

#1125 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It honestly isn't anything like an EM. If you haven't played it then don't just look at some photos and assume it's the same thing, because it's not. There's really nothing else like it.

Even the EM version isn't anything like an average EM:
20151123_224651.jpg20151123_224651.jpg
20151123_224717.jpg20151123_224717.jpg
20151123_224846.jpg20151123_224846.jpg
20151123_224959.jpg20151123_224959.jpg

1 week later
#1126 8 years ago

I'm lucky enough to have one on location within a 15 minute drive. I always play it when I visit the location.

One thing I've noticed is that there is a lot of sound variety. I'm constantly hearing new call outs and music.

However, I'm not certain how it would survive in a small collection. It definitely deserves a place in a large collection where it serves as a unique counterpoint to almost any machine.

#1127 8 years ago

What's the street price on this game? Is it possible to get one shipped for $5k?

#1128 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

What's the street price on this game? Is it possible to get one shipped for $5k?

Technically the "street price" remains at $6500, but that is inaccurate.
Prices are dropping like a stone, even during this Christmas season.
It might even go overstock in the spring with some vendors.

If you know and are friends with the right platinum game distributors you can pull them for a little less than $5k ($4800) with NO SHIPPING.
$5k is very tricky now with shipping, unless you can undercut a deal to avoid sales tax with a local out of state drive for pickup.
Most distributors have squashed that and are adding it back into the cost of the machine due to some wig wagging with Stern.

Personally, I think the game is polished "craptastic" doo doo, and you are talking to a guy who REALLY LIKES EM pinball machines.
"You can polish a turd to a high shine, but it is still a turd".
Artwork and cabinet design is good though.
This is not an EM machine, its a hybrid monster, and it does not even work the same.

Even the most expensive EM out there (Fireball, Bally 1972) in NEAR MINT condition is not going for $5000+ and there are nearly ZERO out there in the wild jungle.
Most excellent examples are still well under $3k.
I cannot even think of another EM that even comes close to this amount off hand, although there are a few in the $2-3K range.

This game will pass onto pinball history as an overpriced novelty, like home edition pinball machines.
It will never command the prices of some machines.
Stern and Whizbang are banking on the limited production by new collectors who are dazzled by shiny things, which as I stated is a rhinestone sparkly coated turd, and will regret later, when they want to sell it and try to sell it for more than it is worth.
They will end up selling for a loss, unfortunately.

#1129 8 years ago

You don't get it do you? based on your idiotic, one eyed comments.
Why bother posting such a negative ill informed opinion?
DUDE it is NOT an EM ,get it in your head FFS.
It is just plain fun that IS very different and pays a homage to a bygone era not meant to be a replicate
RETRO.

#1130 8 years ago

You don't get it do you? based on your idiotic, one eyed comments.
Why bother posting such a negative ill informed opinion?
DUDE it is NOT an EM ,get it in your head FFS.
It is just plain fun that IS very different and pays a homage to a bygone era not meant to be a replicate
RETRO.

QUOTE: "This is not an EM machine, its a hybrid monster, and it does not even work the same."
QUOTE: "This game will pass onto pinball history as an overpriced novelty, like home edition pinball machines."
Novelty = homage = retro = not the same as an EM
Hybrid, novelty, retro machines have failed repeatedly in every case they have been introduced in pinball history.
You have to read, the whole post first.

If you like it, great, it was worth the money to you.
Seems hard pressed that most want to drop $6500 on this machine, hence the reason is already being sold at reduced prices.
If this game is "so good" why is this happening?

EM collectors generally do not like it.
SS collectors generally do not like it.
Collectors in 99% of cases do not want to pay $6500 for this machine.
Even $4000 is pushing the limit.
It is a niche product, even for pinball collectors.

So, who is left?
The general public and the operators that make money, which indirectly the reason it was created as an experiment anyway.
Feel free to read more research on the development of this machine in pinball history.
It was never a new concept.
It dates back over a decade+ ago.
This was another attempt at considering a lower cost home style / operator break in machine like the other test beds.
I guess the production costs, "got a little out of hand".
Do you know why Dennis Nordman is not well like right now by Gary Stern?

If it makes operators money overall, great.
It is simpler to maintain than most modern pinball machines, so in that case it is truly a winner, right?
Are you aware of the time required to recoup a $6500 investment on this machine?
It is not in months, it is in YEARS.
Less maintenance = more profit, no doubt.

People are entitled to their opinion, especially when it is informed.

I doubt machine sales of this title will exceed 1500 total, if fortunate.
Personally, I hope Stern can break even, anything less means it was a failure.
There are plenty of other historical examples you can look up on PinSide, if education is preferred.

Opinion_Dude.gifOpinion_Dude.gif

#1131 8 years ago

See you don't get it!
How many more times do you want to edit your own post to try and appear educated. GZUS!
Have another drink mate. Life ain't ALLWAYS $ and being right.
Yep, I can edit posts too ?

#1132 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

QUOTE: "This is not an EM machine, its a hybrid monster, and it does not even work the same."
QUOTE: "This game will pass onto pinball history as an overpriced novelty, like home edition pinball machines."
Novelty = homage = retro = not the same as an EM
Hybrid, novelty, retro machines have failed repeatedly in every case they have been introduced in pinball history.
You have to read, the whole post first.
If you like it, great, it was worth the money to you.
Seems hard pressed that most want to drop $6500 on this machine, hence the reason is already being sold at reduced prices.
If this game is "so good" why is this happening?
EM collectors generally do not like it.
SS collectors generally do not like it.
Collectors in 99% of cases do not want to pay $6500 for this machine.
Even $4000 is pushing the limit.
It is a niche product, even for pinball collectors.
So, who is left?
The general public and the operators that make money, which indirectly the reason it was created as an experiment anyway.
Feel free to read more research on the development of this machine in pinball history.
It was never a new concept.
It dates back over a decade+ ago.
This was another attempt at considering a lower cost home style / operator break in machine like the other test beds.
I guess the production costs, "got a little out of hand".
Do you know why Dennis Nordman is not well like right now by Gary Stern?
If it makes operators money overall, great.
It is simpler to maintain than most modern pinball machines, so in that case it is truly a winner, right?
Are you aware of the time required to recoup a $6500 investment on this machine?
It is not in months, it is in YEARS.
Less maintenance = more profit, no doubt.
People are entitled to their opinion, especially when it is informed.
I doubt machine sales of this title will exceed 1500 total, if fortunate.
Personally, I hope Stern can break even, anything less means it was a failure.
There are plenty of other historical examples you can look up on PinSide, if education is preferred.
Opinion_Dude.gif

why the comment that dennis nordman is not well liked by gary stern? why do you think this?

#1133 8 years ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

why the comment that dennis nordman is not well liked by gary stern? why do you think this?

I should not have said "not well liked", more akin to "falling out".
He is certainly still respected as a designer by all.
There was a lot of rumble in the jungle on this title.
There is still some uncomfortability based on design considerations that were made and not made.
It was based on "modernizing" the aspects of the original design.
Maybe everything is "hunky dory" now, but I think there may be some sore spots.

Time will tell.

#1134 8 years ago

See you don't get it!
How many more times do you want to edit your own post to try and appear educated. GZUS!
Have another drink mate. Life ain't ALLWAYS $ and being right.
Yep, I can edit posts too ?

Adding more detail for proper explanation, jack wagon.

Its like writing anything else while typing, I make revisions, it is the sign of education.
Words like GZUS, are not.
So educated, yes, experienced yes, long time collector/restorer/technician, yes, long time PinSider, no.
I had other priorities to fulfill.

#1135 8 years ago

Interesting how the first arcade video games fared on location. Computer Space (1971 ) 1500 units Pong (1972 ) 19,000 units.

Nolan Bushnell on Computer Space "Sure, I loved it, and all my friends loved it, but all my friends were engineers. It was a little too complicated for the guy with the beer in the bar."

#1136 8 years ago

I agree that nib prices on this game are more than most people want to spend, but I also think it's fun to play and cool to look at. I'm kind of looking around for one, and wondering what is a Huo example worth?

#1137 8 years ago

Even the most expensive EM out there (Fireball, Bally 1972) in NEAR MINT condition is not going for $5000+ and there are nearly ZERO out there in the wild jungle.
I cannot even think of another EM that even comes close to this amount off hand, although there are a few in the $2-3K range.

There are numerous examples of EM machines selling for more than $5,000.

I sold my Restored Sample Fireball for $6,500 in 2013.

While Fireball is popular, it is far from the most expensive.

The EM market has much more to offer than just $500 player machines.

Marcus

#1138 8 years ago

You can't compare a brand new WNBJM to the pricing of some 50 year old EM, even if it were an EM.

No EM ever had the great sounds, the great music, or the great voice acting of Nelly.

No pinball machine, EM, SS or DMD ever had anything as amazing as Nelly's cabinet - a true work of art. Even with 47 games in a collection, everyone gravitates instantly towards Nelly. In a sea of plywood and particleboard boxes, Nelly is totally unique .

Total pinball nubes walk right up and play her. She is approachable.

It's not the number one earning game in the country right now for nothing!

#1139 8 years ago

this also number one game at our home arcade once the party start.we don't care to much at that point what 99% of the other pinball collectors think,dont really care how many stern sells...only care about the crowd around the whoa Nellie we are playing

#1140 8 years ago

This game will pass onto pinball history as an overpriced novelty, like home edition pinball machines.

The home pinball machines were huge successes back in the day for Bally.

Fireball sold 10,000 units

Cap Fantastic 9,000 units

I still have clients who own and love them.

#1141 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Total pinball nubes walk right up and play her.

This. I saw a grandmother play Nellie, but bypass every other pinball machine including an EM next to it.

#1142 8 years ago

Im most amazed that the feminists havent hit this game hard yet, with the game art and all, they seem good to sniff out stuff like this everywhere else LOL

#1143 8 years ago

It is not just feminists. I get the all in good fun bit, but this is a little more suggestive than I might have liked. The double entendre are a bit too clumsy, and on the nose (for me). That said, Id like to play it, but I do not know anyone local- even mass collectors- who have snagged one.

#1144 8 years ago
Quoted from XpadreX:

The double entendre are a bit too clumsy, and on the nose (for me). That said, Id like to play it, but I do not know anyone local- even mass collectors- who have snagged one.

Once you play and see it you will find it is no where near as offensive as you may have thought.
The few call outs that may offend are very well suited and fun.
Political correctness has gone way too far these days, don't look into it too deep and enjoy.

#1145 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Im most amazed that the feminists havent hit this game hard yet, with the game art and all, they seem good to sniff out stuff like this everywhere else LOL

Quoted from XpadreX:

It is not just feminists. I get the all in good fun bit, but this is a little more suggestive than I might have liked. The double entendre are a bit too clumsy, and on the nose (for me). That said, Id like to play it, but I do not know anyone local- even mass collectors- who have snagged one.

I don't really see this at all. Guys like boobs, most women even somewhat like boobs. You see much more suggestive content on almost every show on TV now and in many commercials. My wife and all of her friends almost always play Scared Stiff if they play pinball. It is much dirtier then WNBJM. Most women are not offended by any of this stuff and in many cases women say things and talk about stuff that guys would never say. A few very loud "feminists" do not represent the majority of women. They all die laughing when they give Elvira "multiple jackpots".

#1146 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

The Feminazi were crying on Stern's Facebook about a year ago, but it never got any traction and they lost interest.

#1147 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can't compare a brand new WNBJM to the pricing of some 50 year old EM, even if it were an EM.
No EM ever had the great sounds, the great music, or the great voice acting of Nelly.
No pinball machine, EM, SS or DMD ever had anything as amazing as Nelly's cabinet - a true work of art. Even with 47 games in a collection, everyone gravitates instantly towards Nelly. In a sea of plywood and particleboard boxes, Nelly is totally unique .
Total pinball nubes walk right up and play her. She is approachable.
It's not the number one earning game in the country right now for nothing!

I said the game was making money for operators, and itis simpler to maintain, which leads to more profit. The reason is that it is approachable to new players, but that does not equate to collectibility.

$5000 EMs in response to others are an exception, not a rule. Most EMs (non fully restored) can still be obtained for well under $1500, and have equal fun value of modern machines.

As I said in my review, liberal voters who think the art is offensive are being overtly negative. It is not a religious cult, it is a pinball machine.

#1148 8 years ago

The reason is that it is approachable to new players, but that does not equate to collectibility.

I don't care about collectibility.

If a game is fun to play and challenges me, I like it.

#1149 8 years ago

He still doesn't get it!
WNBJM isn't collectible, are you firkin kidding me TheBlackNight?

#1150 8 years ago

He still doesn't get it!
WNBJM isn't collectible, are you firkin kidding me TheBlackNight?

I'd buy it just for the artwork.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-confirmed-pricing/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.