469835.jpg
20150709_232846.jpg
DSC_0117.JPG
DSCN1363.JPG
DSCN1348.JPG
IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4527.jpeg
Jed.jpeg
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 24.
#1051 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Thanks for posting.
Seems pretty steep for a traditional EM. Looks like it might play a little nicer if you reduced the pitch a bit?? Obviously, its all about personal preference.
So..... Are you going to try to add an MP3 Player for additional sounds so you can make it sound just like the Stern Production model?

You are correct, Cactus Jack, the pitch was too steep in the video. Typically, the pitch is less steep, which I prefer on this game. I removed the wheels from the front legs for the video to increase the pitch because the ball was sticking in the re-entrance avenue to the shooter lane. Apart from changing the pitch, I did not prepare the game to shoot the video.

For example, there was a dead bulb in the top red pop bumper when I shot the video. There are several sockets which are not operating. I failed to land a ball in the green lane. Thus, the green bumpers and green star rollovers remained unlit through the entire video clip. Having all four pop bumpers and all rollovers illuminated adds to the look of the playfield, especially since the concentric plastic posts reflect the light well. I also failed to make the flipper shot to the top and the flipper shot through the middle up through the top rollovers.

This was my first ever pinball video. My daughter filmed it in a single take. Until now, the only coin-op video I've ever made was of a 1972 Sega Monster Gun nylon pellet shooter arcade game, also posted on youtube. One good thing is that I have Invisiglass on the Whoa Nellie, substantially reducing glare, for the video.

I would like to add a cow bell sound effect, by creating a physical knocker against a real cow bell. I'm not inclined to add any hillbilly speech. If I add speech, it will be female voices of the playfield characters (Melony, Hellen and Ellen) and the horse (Nellie).

#1052 9 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I'm not inclined to add any hillbilly speech.

Jed.jpegJed.jpeg

#1053 9 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I have not been able to place my Whoa Nellie topper atop the backbox yet. This is because the resting surface is incomplete and partially open. The dual score reels (which need to be converted to single-player) remain. A photo of the topper is below.
20150403_163934.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
20150403_164054.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

At last!!! The missing bash toy!

#1054 9 years ago
Quoted from Retropin:

At last!!! The missing bash toy!

Bash a melon until it splits. . .double your score.

#1055 9 years ago

Great hillbilly speech in Big Buck Hunter. It reminds me of the long lost days of youth on Saturday mornings watching WGN with Walter Brennan as Grandpa McCoy. Some folks don't care for it, but me I love Hillbilly's, all American like pinball.

I got to swim in their cement pond!! I like them Hillbillies.

2 weeks later
#1056 9 years ago

My distributor in Western Australia has confirmed my order of this little beauty arriving approx. end May.
I shouldn't have worried as it seems that no one wants one except me

#1057 9 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

My distributor in Western Australia has confirmed my order of this little beauty arriving approx. end May.I shouldn't have worried as it seems that no one wants one except me

Oh good, I'm not the only one - I want one too

#1058 9 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Oh good, I'm not the only one - I want one too

I would consider buying one if they weren't so darn expensive. I think it's a beautiful machine.

#1059 9 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I would consider buying one if they weren't so darn expensive. I think it's a beautiful machine.

Im with you. I was hoping for a lower price point, but hope to play one soon!

#1060 9 years ago

Yeah, if more cash would come along, this would be my next pin ASAP. I am thinking one day for sure. The Hobbit is "On Deck" for me and money could appear, if it was available soon. Its all good.

#1061 9 years ago

I played this pin at MGC and I loved it. It is fun, simple and different. I thought I would hate it, but I ended up really enjoying it. I talked to Greg Freres for 10-15 minutes after a game or three, and must say that he is an incredibly nice guy with a great passion for pinball. The theme isn't my thing, but it almost didn't matter because his artwork is fantastic. It was beautiful and tons of fun to play. I would love to own this game.

#1062 9 years ago

Was told today mine is shipping next week!

#1063 9 years ago

The latest pics on Whizzbang's Facebook page is awesome, who would of thought you would get excited over a picture of hundreds of score reels! Also a pic of a boxed one coming to Aus, is it mine?

1 week later
#1064 8 years ago

Hey Ron, I hope you didn't pre-order any of these. I even hate where they placed the power switch.

#1065 8 years ago

Am I right in thinking the game it's based on had a gobble hole ? If so didn't they make a mistake not having one ?

#1066 8 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

Am I right in thinking the game it's based on had a gobble hole ? If so didn't they make a mistake not having one ?

If you read the interview with the design team, they wanted a gobble hole (who doesn't?), but after watching 100s of people play it at the expos, the hole was too confusing to the players.

#1067 8 years ago

Interview with Gobble Hole play testing:

http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=2575

#1068 8 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

Read the full interview with designers Dennis and Greg in the Pinball Magazine WNBJM Special: http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=2575

edit: Vid beat me to it

#1069 8 years ago

I enjoy old pins, but a gobble hole is where I draw the line between fun to play at a show, and worth over $5k to own. Most people in the NIB market enjoy old pins less than I do, and would dislike the gobble hole. Stern made the right call.

#1070 8 years ago

Played it Allentown.

It was fun. Seemed to easy I kept the ball in play forever. The people next to me on the other machine didn't so maybe I'm just that good.

Not sure if there are adjustable posts to open the game up a little and lower ball times.

It seemed kinda neat and was exactly what I was expected. The wood rails felt great, it really was a unique experience. The tiny little dmd on the apron was cool too.

Not gonna comment on pricing or if I'd buy one - as I've NEVER bought a new machine and don't plan on it any time soon. It certainly is a great looking machine with a nice feel - nothing cheap about it that's for sure.

#1071 8 years ago

Thanks for that link. I don't quite go back that far and have never played a woodrail. But isn't the one thing that defined the late fifties /early sixties era the gobble hole ? In the article the guys hope that operators buy a bigger percentage of the games than usual. Unlike the pinball fans they met at shows the casual players in bars might have got a lot of fun seeing OTHER people lose their ball in that way.

#1072 8 years ago

MUCH thanks to Buddy (again!).
Can't wait till it's up in full glory.

DSC_0107.JPGDSC_0107.JPG

#1073 8 years ago

I want this game. Soon...

3 weeks later
#1074 8 years ago

Greg and Dennis are talking about the making of WNBJM live on our Northwest Pinball Show Twitch Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/nwpinballarcadeshow

#1075 8 years ago

Changed out the G.I. to Warm White Frosted. Very happy with the results too!

IMG_4527.jpegIMG_4527.jpeg IMG_4529.jpegIMG_4529.jpeg
#1076 8 years ago

Great idea. Looks so much better now.

#1077 8 years ago

Cointaker: Did the same. Looks way_ better. Feel free to point people at my post if you want.

Thanks for producing the Stern style boards with different colors.

#1078 8 years ago

Mine down under! Distributor getting her ready for play then delivery.
Kids Just Wanna Have Fun here in Western Australia, good to deal with.DSCN1363.JPGDSCN1363.JPGDSCN1348.JPGDSCN1348.JPG

1 week later
#1079 8 years ago

Just heard from my distributor will be getting the update kit as I was one of the first out the factory.

Covers for leg bolt holes when on crate.
SSD card for better reliability of mini DMD and code update to change power of flippers, bumpers etc.
Heaps more call outs and better score display! cool.
Also the big news, AN UN CRUSHED LIMITED EDITION WNBJM CAN!
It just gets better and better.

Awesome.
loving this game sick.

#1080 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you read the interview with the design team, they wanted a gobble hole (who doesn't?), but after watching 100s of people play it at the expos, the hole was too confusing to the players.

Wow, a gobble hole confusing! And yet players can work out ACDC rules??!!

Really, it's the function of the gobble hole that counts. There comes a time in a game where you want the ball to go down a gobble hole if it is to collect a jackpot or specials.

#1081 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Really, it's the function of the gobble hole that counts. There comes a time in a game where you want the ball to go down a gobble hole if it is to collect a jackpot or specials.

I too was hoping for a gobble hole, but after now playing this game, I am 100% sure the kick out IS the right way for this game to play.
I do however miss a manual ball lifter and bells!

#1082 8 years ago

Just heard from my distributor will be getting the update kit as I was one of the first out the factory.
Covers for leg bolt holes when on crate.
loving this game sick.

In the meantime, color coordinating with a Pingulp helps cover the spot well.

DSC_0117.JPGDSC_0117.JPG

#1083 8 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

In the meantime, color coordinating with a Pingulp helps cover the spot well.
DSC_0117.JPG

That looks pretty nice.

#1084 8 years ago

What does everyone think of the gameplay and package? I am loving it sick. Just too much fun.

#1085 8 years ago

What does everyone think of the gameplay and package? I am loving it sick. Just too much fun.

My list of pins is small these days. ACDC Luci, STLE, MM, and BJM. I am playing BJM about 2500% more than any of the other games. I felt guilty and played a game on STLE just to make the game still feel wanted. Then went back to BJM.

The more I play it, the better it gets.

#1087 8 years ago

got some time to waste between games!

#1088 8 years ago

We are the same way, just loving it and playing for "Nellie dollars" is a blast!

Quoted from Fulltilt:

My list of pins is small these days. ACDC Luci, STLE, MM, and BJM. I am playing BJM about 2500% more than any of the other games. I felt guilty and played a game on STLE just to make the game still feel wanted. Then went back to BJM.
The more I play it, the better it gets.

2 weeks later
#1089 8 years ago

Three months ago, in this thread, I posted a photo of a partial topper for my EM Whoa Nellie. Having just finished creating an interactive COWBELL TOPPER for the game, I started another thread early this morning, in which I post a video of the clanking cowbell topper, in action. Rather than entering a duplicate post of the video of the interactive topper, I have cut and pasted the link below, for any interested pinsiders, who wish to view the video:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-of-whoa-nellie-cowbell-topper-home-grown-em-nellie-sings

Below is a photo of the topper, thus far. I plan to add interactive lights in the future. Also, I'm glad to see that my shooter rod prototype has gone mainstream for Stern's WNBJM.

20150709_232846.jpg20150709_232846.jpg

#1090 8 years ago

If anyone missed it we made a full florescent Plastic set, 13 pieces in all. It's on our website now.

http://www.laseriffic.com/p/mods/whoa-nellie-florescent-plastic-protector-set/

#1091 8 years ago

Played this last week at PHOF. Just not enough there for me to be a $6K pin, but really not a pin for me at any price point. Glad to have played it though. I like melons!

3 weeks later
#1092 8 years ago

Cliffy is after a WNBJM owner in the Bay Area of San Fransisco to help with doing a gobble hole cliffy!
Can any one help us owners? Please.
Cheers Andy

#1093 8 years ago

I can. Sunnyvale.

#1094 8 years ago

You can contact Cliff directly through his website and he will be more than happy to help us out. Thats really decent of you Dude.
If I wasn't so far away I would have let him use mine.

3 months later
#1095 8 years ago

So after a few months play, I have heard little about this game. Anyone owners care to share thoughts after a few months?

#1096 8 years ago

Played it a bunch at expo and really want one but at 3500 ish . Just can't see paying anything more for it .

#1097 8 years ago

I can honestly say that this is true keeper for me. The gameplay is sooooooo simple, yet sooooooo fun. Call outs are never monotonous as there are so many of them ( another code soon apparently ) This game smells ( yes smells great ) and look pretty when turned off too! True art piece IMO.
It is a challenge to beat say the least even with the simple rule set. All my friends and family love playing with her.
Someone said this will be a FUTURE CLASSIC.
I paid $9250 AUD for this and do not regret it one bit. The fun remains after the price is forgotten.

#1098 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Yeah, these anti gobble hole people don't seem to have a clue. Whether you are competing or not if the hole is lit for a bigger reward than you may have scored during the entire ball you take the shot and hope it drops in there. But that doesn't always happen. Also avoiding the hole or holes when they are not lit can also take great skill. The key word here is "skill" which at least at one time pinball was a game of.

#1099 8 years ago

This game smells ( yes smells great )

go on ...

#1100 8 years ago

the smell of real wood is to die for! It permeates the air in the games room and is pure joy. Mix this with a 40+ year old machine ( Surf Champ ) and it is almost orgasmic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-confirmed-pricing/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.