469835.jpg
20150709_232846.jpg
DSC_0117.JPG
DSCN1363.JPG
DSCN1348.JPG
IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4527.jpeg
Jed.jpeg
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 24.
#951 9 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

if this thing takes of for the crazy price they are selling it for
will it mean EM's in general will jump in price ?

No I don't think so.

#952 9 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

if this thing takes of for the crazy price they are selling it for
will it mean EM's in general will jump in price ?

No, it's not an EM.

Mellon sales may increase slightly.

#953 9 years ago

honey do.

#954 9 years ago

Cantaloupe??

#955 9 years ago

Guys, let's wait and see...

I give Stern a ton of credit for taking a risk and doing something creative. So sick of the hackneyed licensed themes that have been rolling out for years. Btw, this game is apparently "fast" - not an EM - more like a hybrid of modern tech with the old school aesthetic and game design.

I'm hoping for more original themes moving forward.

#956 9 years ago

Maybe I am crazy but I am thinking of picking one up. I will have to read through all the posts here......

#957 9 years ago

update on pinball news and some under the hood shots
http://www.pinballnews.com/games/whoanellie/index2.html

#958 9 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Guys, let's wait and see...
Btw, this game is apparently "fast" - not an EM - more like a hybrid of modern tech with the old school aesthetic and game design.

The games at TPF had a couple different slant levels. The middle one was mostly flat - and the flippers tuned down. Definitely played slow like the EM's I've tinkered with. (Not normally a big EM guy myself). The one on the crate was more heavily slanted, and with the flippers tuned to be a bit more peppy.

If the speed of the game is the only real complaint, that seems solvable.

#959 9 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Btw, this game is apparently "fast" - not an EM -

Btw, this game is apparently "fast"- just like many EMs.

#960 9 years ago

In general you're not going to have EM prices go through the roof because 90% of them are in disrepair... you're never going to get to a place where casual people are buying broken EM's for high dollars. Because most of them are broken it limits the market to pinheads who have the ability (and desire, and time) to repair them... which keeps the price down. Even fully working, restored EM's need a little tinkering every once in awhile and your average home owner is clueless to working on them.

SS pinball machines ultimately can be repaired, usually, by just buying new boards if it gets bad enough. Obviously you can have bad coils, etc. but a casual home owner at least has a chance at fixing them, there's no way they're going to move up the learning curve far enough to repair their EM when something acts up.

So I don't personally feel the price of EM's is ever going to skyrocket, except for the highly collectible ones that pinheads really want for their collection and will pay a premium for...

#961 9 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Melissa already has my order, the more I see the more I want it. The total package makes this a great
addition.

I tried to order there but did get great service on some shaker motors. Can a distributor please pm me a price for 2 with cash or check no credit card. I am ready to purchase two.

#962 9 years ago

I dont understand the appeal from this kind of games, at all.

#963 9 years ago

Is the game available on legs? Purely the crate base? I'm sure I've seen images of one of sterns on legs but maybe that was a home brew game? Sorry if it's been mentioned not had much chance to read through press releases and entire thread.

#964 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Not a game for you then.

#965 9 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Is the game available on legs? Purely the crate base? I'm sure I've seen images of one of sterns on legs but maybe that was a home brew game? Sorry if it's been mentioned not had much chance to read through press releases and entire thread.

I keep reading you get both legs and crate.

#966 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I keep reading you get both legs and crate.

That's because the game comes with both.

#967 9 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

In general you're not going to have EM prices go through the roof because 90% of them are in disrepair..

Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

SS pinball machines ultimately can be repaired, usually, by just buying new boards if it gets bad enough.

lol. I've got a dozen fully functioning EMs, some more than 50 years old and haven't had to purchase a new board for any of them yet. Or do tedious ground modifications...

#968 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I do. It is a pinball machine. Most people on this forum like pinball machines.

#969 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

lol. I've got a dozen fully functioning EMs, some more than 50 years old and haven't had to purchase a new board for any of them yet. Or do tedious ground modifications...

yes, it would seem as if that poster has some seriously faulty assumptions...

#970 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yes, it would seem as if that poster has some seriously faulty assumptions...

He was probably right about the part where he said the prices won't be skyrocketing though. One can only hope...

#971 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He was probably right about the part where he said the prices won't be skyrocketing though. One can only hope...

well, i'm hoping along with you...

sadly, they've been rising now for awhile... fewer and fewer decent project machines, and some, ummm, "dmd pricing logic", on those that are not projects...

#972 9 years ago

I think we will see a rise in the market price for the guys doing full blown restorations where everything looks like new again (or worse than new ) and sounds and plays as an EM should. Even at prices like $3495 for a restoration, it puts it well below the street price of WNBJM and there are plenty of great EM titles out there from the past 50+ years to select from.

But, the next time someone asks: "What's the best xxxxx EM out there?", we should probably refrain from answering if it happens to be on our want lists.

#973 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

But, the next time someone asks: "What's the best xxxxx EM out there?", we should probably refrain from answering if it happens to be on our want lists.

i think we should make a pact... whenever anyone asks that question, we should all answer "el toro"...

#974 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

whenever anyone asks that question, we should all answer "el toro"...

El Toro is a $1400 game folks!

#975 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

El Toro is a $1400 game folks!

y'kniw, if it wasn't so cruel to do it, that would be a good snipe hunt to send new people on...

#976 9 years ago

772f1.jpg772f1.jpg

#977 9 years ago

Poor Odin, you used to be the lone defender of this one. Nostalgia can be a gift or a curse.

It's funny how some games get hyped up to legendary status. It would be fun to manipulate things so El Toro was the flavor of the week.

#978 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Poor Odin, you used to be the lone defender of this one. Nostalgia can be a gift or a curse.

Only because it cost me $5 in quarters and my Schwinn Stingray when it first came out. I haven't played one in 40 years. You guys have beat me down to thinking it was a lousy game, but someday me and the bullfighter will go for round 2.

#979 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

772f1.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

New "All-Steel" door?

Is this when they finally decided to dump wooden doors, because they were so easy to break into?

#980 9 years ago

Nah, they just changed the design from the old steel door.

#981 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Only because it cost me $5 in quarters and my Schwinn Stingray when it first came out. I haven't played one in 40 years. You guys have beat me down to thinking it was a lousy game, but someday me and the bullfighter will go for round 2.

I've never played one. I have to wonder, can it really be that bad?

#982 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

New "All-Steel" door?
Is this when they finally decided to dump wooden doors, because they were so easy to break into?

I believe the "improved" part was where they added the diamond so you could put a Bally sticker there.

#983 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

No, it was really that good.

th.jpegth.jpeg

#984 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Nostalgia can be a gift or a curse.

It's funny how some games get hyped up to legendary status. It would be fun to manipulate things so El Toro was the flavor of the week.

you are a wise man...

yup... and i betcha it would be doable too*... i think most of us have been members of enough online communities for long enough to "know" how it could be done... just plant the seeds, water and fertilize them, and watch them grow...

* upon reflection, it would be doable for virtually any machine other than el toro... the total suckosity of that machine might be too much to overcome...

#985 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

yes... it is that bad...

as bad as you have been convinced that it is, it is actually even worse than that...

it truly is the exception that proves the rule of "there are no bad em pinball machines"...

#986 9 years ago

Well, a couple of the supposed great ones left me scratching my head wondering if I missed something. I would think it could go the other way as well.

#987 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

"there are no bad em pinball machines"

I really liked the staggered rollover lanes at the top.

772f2.jpg772f2.jpg

#988 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Well, a couple of the supposed great ones left me scratching my head wondering if I missed something. I would think it could go the other way as well.

if it makes you feel any better, the same thing has happened to me... there are few that everyone seems to love that i just don't get...

and yea, it does go the other way sometimes for sure... my long time irrational love for pro-football, for example... that game doesn't make a lot of "wanted" lists...

#989 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

there are few that everyone seems to love that i just don't get...

There are a few that everyone seems to love that I just won't get...

#990 9 years ago

Their previous door was metal skin over wood backing. So, this was metal over a metal backing frame. El Toro was apparently also when they introduced their "Chime Unit" to replace those pesky bells everyone hates so much

And yes, O-din, it really is as bad as we keep saying. I am not sure why I ever dropped a coin in it at the bowling alley. I suppose it seemed like it must be very easy to get that special lit. I actually own a very nice example of it. When it finally sees the light of day from my storage unit, you are welcome to play it to get it out of your system. It should only take a couple of games, maybe 3?

#991 9 years ago

drool.jpegdrool.jpeg

#992 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I suppose it seemed like it must be very easy to get that special lit.

It seemed that way indeed. But I remember it wasn't. Thus the $5 in change down the drain. I was supposed to get food with that money.

#993 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i think we should make a pact... whenever anyone asks that question, we should all answer "el toro"...

This will be my answer....

Buy a Williams "Student Prince" It has a high collectability with the collectors, people will call you out of the sky blue just to come over to play it.

_sprin_bg.jpg_sprin_bg.jpg _sprin_pf.jpg_sprin_pf.jpg
#994 9 years ago

Well, it's fairly homely but it does have zipper flippers and a ball return gate. Looks kind of interesting actually.

#995 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, it was really that good.

OMG! I had that exact bike!!

#996 9 years ago

You didn't find it outside an arcade in California did you?

#998 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

OMG! I had that exact bike!!

I got it for x-mas sometime around 1970. When I came out from Pizza Pub after spending all my lunch money on El Toro, it was gone.

#999 9 years ago

And you still defend El Toro. That is devotion.

#1000 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

And you still defend El Toro. That is devotion.

There were newer and better bikes to be had! Unfortunately I didn't get one.
Krate.jpegKrate.jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-confirmed-pricing/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.