469835.jpg
20150709_232846.jpg
DSC_0117.JPG
DSCN1363.JPG
DSCN1348.JPG
IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4527.jpeg
Jed.jpeg
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 24.
#501 9 years ago

No one commenting on the quality of that promo video has ever watched a WMS one I take it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pinball+promo+video

#502 9 years ago

I would buy 20 Mg's for 6500 each. This art isn't special and the board layout is a piece of crap, not to mention the word ramp. Yes I said it, ramp.

#503 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Congrats on the 1 millionth "this game better have sex with me for that price!" Joke in this thread!!
You won a FREE WHOA NELLIE PINBALL MACHINE!!!!

Bonus points for women are good for making sandwiches reference.

#504 9 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

Hick Chicks are great!

I say this as someone has been to Louisville several times, and actually like it...

Look at where ya live.

#505 9 years ago

Stern posted a video on Facebook of some guy playing the first machine off the assembly line. His first two balls (ahem) drain and he never even touches one. This prompted me to post "$6500 for that?!?"

My comment has since been removed and I am no longer allowed to post on their page or videos.

Darn.

#506 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

It seems pretty fast for an EM style game.

Because it's all running on 50 volt DC coils man.. way stronger than anything used in anything but extremely late EM's.... AFAIK..and those were the games that had electronic versions released too.

Ever played a EM Cleopatra? Fast as hell.

#507 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I would like to see a video with some one that plays pins with 2" flippers on a regular basis.

It's not REALLY that different. Bounce passes, post passes...you can do all this stuff with 2 inch flippers.

The guy playing in the video obviously isn't much of a player. Kind of surprised they couldn't come up with someone over there at Stern who could play this thing but I guess we should be happy for at least getting something.

Weren't the Williams EMs after about 1972 50DC? They were quite powerful.

#508 9 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Stern posted a video on Facebook of some guy playing the first machine off the assembly line. His first two balls (ahem) drain and he never even touches one. This prompted me to post "$6500 for that?!?"
My comment has since been removed and I am no longer allowed to post on their page or videos.
Darn.

So they posted a video, something we've been BEGGING them to do on every game before this? "Post a video, anything, we're so curious!!"

They do it, and you're a dick to them on their public page. Shock and surprise that you get removed.

I thought the video was fine. I got to hear some music and sounds, see the game outside of a carefully set up PR photo, fine.

I wish every game Stern made had a little unrehearsed "first game off the line" video. That would be awesome.

#509 9 years ago

All the jokes are actually pretty funny if you're aware that Nellie is the horse's name

#510 9 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

All the jokes are actually pretty funny if you're aware that Nellie is the horse's name

#511 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So they posted a video, something we've been BEGGING them to do on every game before this? "Post a video, anything, we're so curious!!"
They do it, and you're a dick to them on their public page. Shock and surprise that you get removed.
I thought the video was fine. I got to hear some music and sounds, see the game outside of a carefully set up PR photo, fine.
I wish every game Stern made had a little unrehearsed "first game off the line" video. That would be awesome.

Completely agree with this.

People on here bitch about never getting "...something, anything" as far as a video, and then they bitch when Stern puts up a quick little, unscripted, unedited, basic video of game number 1 coming off the line?!?

They can't win.

I hope they make this a trend and release quick little videos like this as new stuff comes off the line.

#512 9 years ago

I sure wonder how well this game could do on route.

#513 9 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

Stern puts up a quick little, unscripted, unedited, basic video of game number 1 coming off the line?!?
They can't win.

'Damned if you do, Damned if you don't'.

#514 9 years ago

These are some pics our parents/ pinball predecessors enjoyed 60 years ago...similar to today's fanfare....
DMBackGlass.jpgDMBackGlass.jpgDMbackglassdtl1.jpgDMbackglassdtl1.jpgDMbackglassdtl2.jpgDMbackglassdtl2.jpgDMPigsDtl.jpgDMPigsDtl.jpgDMLeftFlipperDtl.jpgDMLeftFlipperDtl.jpgDMPlayfield middle.jpgDMPlayfield middle.jpgDMPlayfield middle2.jpgDMPlayfield middle2.jpgDMPlayfieldlower.jpgDMPlayfieldlower.jpgDMLeftDtlSpeshul.jpgDMLeftDtlSpeshul.jpgDMRightDtlSpeshul.jpgDMRightDtlSpeshul.jpgDMUpperPF.jpgDMUpperPF.jpgDMUpperPFDtl.jpgDMUpperPFDtl.jpgDMUpperPFDtl1.jpgDMUpperPFDtl1.jpgDRAGBGDTL.jpgDRAGBGDTL.jpgDRAGBG.jpgDRAGBG.jpg

#515 9 years ago

That is a cool game! Actaully better than I thought it was going to be. Modern music and speech....retro style play...hot girls..Cant wait to get one! I'm in

#516 9 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Darn.

Some guy? You mean one of the stern programmers, if i recall Jack. Hes not just some guy..

#517 9 years ago

I was very interested in getting one of these for tournaments and such but at this price, im going to pass. I think the mark was 3-4.

#518 9 years ago

everything aside... i just cant get over the fact that the promo video involves a guy not even flipping the flippers on ball one.

#519 9 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

These are some pics our parents/ pinball predecessors enjoyed 60 years ago...similar to today's fanfare....
DMBackGlass.jpg (Click image to enlarge)DMbackglassdtl1.jpgDMbackglassdtl2.jpgDMPigsDtl.jpgDMLeftFlipperDtl.jpgDMPlayfield middle.jpg (Click image to enlarge)DMPlayfield middle2.jpgDMPlayfieldlower.jpgDMLeftDtlSpeshul.jpgDMRightDtlSpeshul.jpgDMUpperPF.jpgDMUpperPFDtl.jpgDMUpperPFDtl1.jpgDRAGBGDTL.jpgDRAGBG.jpg

Your post (and an earlier post in this thread by another pinsider) of Daisy May is spot on. Greg Freres has stated that Gottlieb's Daisy May woodrail was the inspiration for WNBJM. The artistic and design backstory can be found at the link as follows:

http://www.thedeadlyspawn.com/pinball411/pinball-article/

#520 9 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Your post (and an earlier post in this thread by another pinsider) of Daisy May is spot on. Greg Freres has stated that Gottlieb's Daisy May woodrail was the inspiration for WNBJM. The artistic and design backstory can be found at the link as follows:
http://www.thedeadlyspawn.com/pinball411/pinball-article/

I appreciate the artwork as much as I do the fun of playing. It would be great to have the crocodile flipper set-up again as the Daisy May has in the next Stern/Whizbang EM redux effort. Either way its "great" to have another choice to spend all my disposable income.....LOL

#521 9 years ago

As the French would say, "Le Shit"

#522 9 years ago
Quoted from damionrowe:

As the French would say, "Le Shit"

In this case it would be "La shit"

#523 9 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

In this case it would be "La shit"

I am still lost...

(but I guess I know the general meaning...)

#524 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I am still lost...
(but I guess I know the general meaning...)

Verb conjugation..

#525 9 years ago

For the record, I never asked Stern to post " something, anything" about this game. I saw a video about it on Facebook, posted my opinion, and their panties got all twisted.

The game I'm (already) obsessed about is JJP #3. Pat Lawlor is my favorite designer, and WOZ is a masterpiece. I guarantee as soon as that game is announced, I will be the first to b**ch about there being no pictures or videos. That being said, if I see a video of someone playing it and it looks terrible, then I'm hit with the news that it will cost $10,000, you best believe I will call JJP out.

If people want to pay $6500 for what some are calling "art", it will only make it even MORE difficult for guys like me (see: NOT super wealthy) to purchase NIB pinball machines.

#526 9 years ago

Waiting for the first owner to post a video

#527 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No one commenting on the quality of that promo video has ever watched a WMS one I take it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pinball+promo+video

At the high risk of getting spanked, that comment is like when someone catches the President in a lie, and his defenders start off with "Well, when Bush was President...."

A crappy, self-defeating video by Stern can't be defended by saying how bad Williams' videos were, especially with the video technology available today vs 20+ years ago.

There is NO way Gary Stern looks at that video and says "That's great, just what we need to get folks interested". Even the look on the player's face says "ouch".

#528 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The guy playing in the video obviously isn't much of a player.

He won C Division last year at PAPA. Sooooo...

#529 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Division C?! Big deal...

#530 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I think what you said is that C div players at PAPA are really really bad at EM's.

#531 9 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Waiting for the first owner to post a video

It may be a long wait ...

#532 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

It may be a long wait ...

There's a new sucker born every day.

#533 9 years ago

I think it's great Stern try something "different", however from an admittedly selfish perspective I wish they had put the time/resources into a developing a different machine as this doesn't appeal to me on any level. No hate - just disappointed.

#534 9 years ago
Quoted from phuping:

I think it's great Stern try something "different", however from an admittedly selfish perspective I wish they had put the time/resources into a developing a different machine as this doesn't appeal to me on any level. No hate - just disappointed.

Their "main" pinball teams (Borg, Ritchie, Trudeau) are all working on their next big releases, so I don't see Nellie taking away from us that are interested in new tech games.

#535 9 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

NO WAY?!!

You got banned for making negative comments on a company's facebook page?

Duuuuuuude......that sucks.

#536 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Their "main" pinball teams (Borg, Ritchie, Trudeau) are all working on their next big releases, so I don't see Nellie taking away from us that are interested in new tech games.

Exactly. Nor is assembling MMr. They are moving to a building three times as big. They didn't do that to keep churning out 2-3 games a year.

#537 9 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

The Daisey May giant cock and balls is great.

#538 9 years ago
Quoted from phuping:

I think it's great Stern try something "different", however from an admittedly selfish perspective I wish they had put the time/resources into a developing a different machine

This game was developed outside of Stern, and then got adopted.

It also gave Stern a live-fire exercise on it's new boards and assembly procedures.

Quoted from phuping:

as this doesn't appeal to me on any level.

And that's a good thing.

We need more games like WOZ and WNBJM that break away from the Superhero/Band same old, same old.

I don't like even 1/2 the themes that get made nowadays, but I'm still glad to see new pinball.

#539 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Division C?! Big deal...

Yeah, those guys are clowns.

Game looks pretty cool to me. I kinda want one. But...admittedly....not at this price. WTF is a gobble hole anyway? Is that just a playfield drain?

Btw. Not happy about the "Stern" STLE eject hole on this game. Those things don't wear well. Better have a boatload of clear on it or it's going to look like ass pretty quick. Williams knew how to make a freaking eject hole. And they cleared their's better too.

#540 9 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Stern posted a video on Facebook of some guy playing the first machine off the assembly line. His first two balls (ahem) drain and he never even touches one.

Sounds like this might be my kind of game after all.

#541 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

WTF is a gobble hole anyway? Is that just a playfield drain?

Yes, exactly. It's a round drain somewhere in the middle of the playfield that is slightly larger than the ball (you HOPE that it's not worn bigger) that punishes you for careless shotmaking but can sometimes award a large point value for an intentional hit and loss of the ball. Ball returns to the trough or ball collection area to be returned to the plunger lane at the appropriate time.

Williams knew how to make a freaking eject hole. And they cleared their's better too.

That's why Cliffy makes so many protectors, right? Why nearly every Congo has blown out saucers in the front or chipped wood sections at the back..

#542 9 years ago

Williams knew how to make a freaking eject hole. And they cleared their's better too.

They sure did.

You NEVER see wear on AFM, TAF, MM, Time Warp, Space Shuttle.......

Williams games were friggin' bulletproof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

#543 9 years ago

Williams knew how to make a gobble hole too. So did Gottlieb and all the others.

#544 9 years ago

When you say fine it seems you are implying the video is good enough for someone who wants to see some of the game.

Anyone who works at Stern should be embarrassed if they feel that was a fine video for a company's Facebook page.

Quoted from Aurich:

#545 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Weren't the Williams EMs after about 1972 50DC? They were quite powerful.

Williams used 50 volt AC in the late 50s and early 60s then switched to 24 volt like Gottlieb starting with Trade Winds. In the early 70s they rectified to DC on the pop bumpers and sling shots.

In the late 70s Gottlieb went DC on almost everything in some of the last EM games they did and those play very fast.

I have games that play a lot faster than this one looks including my 1959 Williams Rocket, but this machine looks very fun just the same.

#546 9 years ago

Stern should feel embarrassed for sharing something? Really? I enjoyed it. I have a way better impression of the game now. I've played the original EM version. Now I've heard the sounds and seen the lighting. Perfect.

Too much hyperbole in this thread. People drool over worse initial gameplay videos all the time. Nothing is stopping Stern from shooting a professional one later. I'll take the cinéma vérité in the meantime.

#547 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sounds like this might be my kind of game after all.

Sounds right to me also. No flipper contact! Some one could be describing a quick game on Pin*Bot.

#548 9 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

When you say fine it seems you are implying the video is good enough for someone who wants to see some of the game.

Anyone who works at Stern should be embarrassed if they feel that was a fine video for a company's Facebook page.

Who cares?

People who are interest in the game will find things they like in the video.

People who are not interested will find reasons to hate the video.

Who would not love to see the first game off the line being played of MM or AFM? Unleveled, untweaked...that would be bad ass.

#549 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

People drool over worse initial gameplay videos all the time.

I don't think is is a bad video at all. It shows people exactly what can happen when you step up to a game with 2 inch flippers for the first time. That it will be challenging and you can expect short ball times until you get some playing time on it. Even after that it may not be easy. Big Daddy was handing me my ass last night and I have owned it for quite some time.

#550 9 years ago

I'm not an EM guy, so maybe this is naive - but is there a single EM that sells in the $6k range today? (Aside from some sort of prototype that had only a few units produced)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-confirmed-pricing/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.