(Topic ID: 152655)

Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons Club - all welcome!

By RobertWinter

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 660 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Fulltilt
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8446 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230524_134726957 (resized).jpg
A01EB8B5-A6D9-4AA4-8A1E-A30BACEEC089 (resized).jpeg
BED7E070-11EE-4563-99A3-25E2386D4C9F_1_102_o (resized).jpeg
50031728-00E2-479E-B413-2823381B32E3_1_102_o (resized).jpeg
318A6306-FD0B-4F4E-B83C-69764CE1FF66_1_102_o (resized).jpeg
5FC8DBB6-1E69-4596-BFA3-0D2F804743E6 (resized).jpeg
FADB281D-FEAE-4917-B080-6E119E126559 (resized).jpeg
7E0A86DF-3E6F-4C2F-9763-A8632CE60372 (resized).jpeg
694D5437-002E-4BAE-AA6D-BA077D31A58F (resized).jpeg
20221016_113449 (resized).jpg
20221016_113524 (resized).jpg
BC01B47B-561E-4016-B6EB-C0A6590CB65B (resized).jpeg
1B8DA88B-077B-40D1-A680-C9AB95CD799D (resized).jpeg
1F1D1824-4F78-4213-A56D-886D23884108 (resized).jpeg
DE0D411D-F5B4-4CFF-810F-2F604B60A126 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thekorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsideMike:

Stupid question time: What is the story with this image? Is it a print I can buy somewhere? I think I would like to get a copy of it for my gameroom. Its kind of small pixel size though so it gets pretty blurry fast when I tried to print one out myself. Thanks in advance!
[quoted image]

I'm the original photographer. The truck was Greg's... neighbor? Friend? (Both?) If I remember correctly it was Greg's truck at one time but at the time of the photo shoot it wasn't and we were just borrowing the truck for the day.

If people are really interested in a copy of this shot, I still have the original files so could get a bunch printed. There's enough resolution in the originals that they look good all the way up to and including poster size (I have some from the original print run)... but I don't believe I have the rights to do so at this point. If enough people are interested, I can see if WhizBang, Inc. is interested in going down this road.

Model's name is Erin... not sure if she wants to be known for this or not so just leaving it at Erin.

Just for giggles, here's the original, non-photoshopped version of that shot. There's 12 differences between this shot and the one that we printed if you're bored. (The license plate is one, which I nuked because, well... that's just good form not to show anyone's real license plate.)

Thanks MRG for the tip off!

_DSC2425 (resized).jpg_DSC2425 (resized).jpg
#286 5 years ago

Fyi, Greg Freris and Paul Faris are different people.

#287 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsideMike:

If you can print them out at larger than 11x17 inches, you can officially put me down for a big one!

2' x 3' (I'll have to check the original dimensions to see if that's appropriate) are reasonably easy to get done. After that things get STUPID expensive to print w/ quality.

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisNordman:

Vince, contact Greg. We'd be happy to work out a deal with you.

Already have an email in to him.

#309 5 years ago

Just a follow up... Looks like the poster thing is probably (don't count your chickens before they hatch) going to happen. Just need to hammer out some details with Greg. Main holdup is that Greg is far too busy for his own good, so communication back & forth is just slow.

2 weeks later
#328 5 years ago

I'm happy to announce in cooperation with (and fully licensed by) WhizBang Pinball LLC the immediate availability of premium poster sized Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons (R) promotion photos! (Artwork attached below.)

These are not poster prints (or worse, prints of scans). These are full size premium quality photographic prints made from the original files. They are produced by a professional print house and mounted to 1/8" polystyrene board. These will never develop wrinkles, creases or waviness under normal conditions! (And in case of zombie apolcalypse, you can use them to fend off the horde for a few seconds.) The manufacturer puts the life span of these prints on display at 100 years, or 200 years in dark storage. They are printed on Kodak Endura Professional paper using metallic inks. You would be very hard pressed to find a better quality print! (This print house's bread & butter is wedding albums and other work from professional photographers.)

Shipping is INCLUDED for the contiguous 48 states in the USA! Since these are mounted at the printing house, these ship completely flat; it's like shipping a small wall. If you've ever received a backglass from Classic Playfield Reproductions, the same style shipping container is used for these prints.

Two sizes are available, 16"x24" and 24"x36". The 16x24" is $72.50 out the door including shipping to the contiguous USA. The 24"x36" print is $127.50, again including contiguous USA shipping.

Not in the contiguous USA? Get in touch! If there are enough orders from any area, they can be shipped together to save BIG money on shipping. We're at the not-saying-no-but-not-quite-saying-yes stage right now. (More than likely something will be worked out.)

To order, send me a PM here with your email address and the size you'd like, and I'll send a paypal invoice to your email address.

Delivery time is approximately 5 business days after payment is received.

Questions? Fire away!

WNBJM_Final_1024 (resized).jpgWNBJM_Final_1024 (resized).jpg
#332 5 years ago
Quoted from luch:

anyway for signatures ? game designers ?

It's not economically feasible, unfortunately. These are being produced at the printing house and drop shipped directly to the customer. That's economically viable for the print house since they basically have a FedEx trailer pickup *every day*.

To do signatures, the prints would have to be shipped here, then repacked and shipped to the customer. For funsies I got shipping quotes from my area (60201) to Beverly Hills (90210), which should be a good guesstimate at an average shipping cost. USPS was the most reasonable at *an additional $160*. FedEx wants $200, and let's not even talk about UPS. It's very much not cheap to ship walls around!

#335 5 years ago

Invoices sent out for everyone who's contacted me so far. (I'm only posting this because pinsidemail is giving authentication errors, so not sure if PM notifications are getting out or not.)

#338 5 years ago
Quoted from luch:

these will be framed ? same old distressed look of the cabinet ?

What? No.

#340 5 years ago
Quoted from luch:

so just the picture with no frame ? correct

Right... mounted to 1/8" white polystyrene.

#344 5 years ago

A few thoughts...

Some seem to have an issue with the cost. The largest determiners of cost are both size and quality of print. These are professional archive quality fine art prints. They're printed on some of the best photographic paper you can get with some of the best inks available. It's a premium product, full stop and no apologies. If you're not in that market or just don't want to spend that kind of money on a print, that's perfectly OK. WhizBang Pinball LLC still has a number of the original 11"x17" prints on poster paper from the original run, and is more than happy to sell those as long as stock is available. But for those that are in the market for a large and frankly awesome quality product, these are also available.

As for why they're being mounted, when you get prints of this size paper doesn't have the rigidity to support itself and will get saggy and wavy (and even possibly develop creases) even if under glass. The only universally accepted solution to prevent this is to mount the print onto a rigid substrate. Further, the undeniably best time to mount a print is right after printing so there isn't any opportunity for waves, creases, or sags to form. Brooklyn Frame Works put out a little blurb in 2009 on this, and even though it's written from the perspective of mounting an already existing piece of art I think it explains the problem and the solutions very well. ( https://brooklynframeworks.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/flatness-doc-14-copy.pdf ) By way of analogy not mounting these prints and shipping them rolled would be like buying a sports car and slapping on Wal-Mart tires. It would dramatically degrade the performance before the customer even receives the product.

If these concepts don't mesh with your priorities that's perfectly all right! Go buy one of the original 11x17s instead; I'm sure Greg is tired of storing them!

-----

Side note... a nice benefit of having the print house mount them is there's no possibility of a calamity. Every time you take a print to be mounted there's a possibility of something bad happening during the process (absent minded employee drops something on top, bottle of glue tips over, wrong type of glue used, what have you). When you have an issue it's just a whole bottle of suck to straighten out. But if there's a mounting incident at the print house, they simply print another and try again. It's really the best option all around.

#346 5 years ago

One more thought... Dennis Nordman has allowed me to reveal that he's buying several copies for himself, despite already having copies of the poster print. I think that's a pretty strong and significant endorsement!

#351 5 years ago

Glad you're happy with them! They really are a top shelf printing house, which is why we're using them!

#355 5 years ago

I'd frame it like any other picture, and put it under glass. I do my own, but any local shop (even... *Michaels*) should be able to handle this since they don't have to mount it, only cut a mat & put it in a frame. You might skip the mat if you really wanted to since it has a white border already. (But I like the slight 3D-ness putting a mat in gives prints.)

Another way to display it, if you want to zig when others zag, is to use off-the-wall metal mirror clips. (not the tacky plastic kind) I do that for backglasses, and it looks reallllly cool. (I'll grab a picture so you can see what I mean.)

Pretty sure Greg wasn't serious about the thumbtacks.

#360 5 years ago

Here's what mirror clips look like on a backglass... Obviously couldn't back light these prints!

IMG_20180928_161429.jpgIMG_20180928_161429.jpgIMG_20180928_161453~2.jpgIMG_20180928_161453~2.jpgIMG_20180928_161513.jpgIMG_20180928_161513.jpg
#363 5 years ago

Wait for one of their "everything 40% off" sale at Michaels and get a 24x36 poster frame. Throw away everything but the front plastic, then see if you like how it looks. I like glass but can spot it's a personal taste thing.

#375 5 years ago

Before starting Spooky Pinball, a down-on-his-luck Charlie Emery auditioned to be the live action model.

The producers elected to go in a different direction.

_DSC2399 (resized).jpg_DSC2399 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thekorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-club-all-welcome?tu=thekorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.