(Topic ID: 152655)

Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons Club - all welcome!

By RobertWinter

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 660 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Fulltilt
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8446 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230524_134726957 (resized).jpg
A01EB8B5-A6D9-4AA4-8A1E-A30BACEEC089 (resized).jpeg
BED7E070-11EE-4563-99A3-25E2386D4C9F_1_102_o (resized).jpeg
50031728-00E2-479E-B413-2823381B32E3_1_102_o (resized).jpeg
318A6306-FD0B-4F4E-B83C-69764CE1FF66_1_102_o (resized).jpeg
5FC8DBB6-1E69-4596-BFA3-0D2F804743E6 (resized).jpeg
FADB281D-FEAE-4917-B080-6E119E126559 (resized).jpeg
7E0A86DF-3E6F-4C2F-9763-A8632CE60372 (resized).jpeg
694D5437-002E-4BAE-AA6D-BA077D31A58F (resized).jpeg
20221016_113449 (resized).jpg
20221016_113524 (resized).jpg
BC01B47B-561E-4016-B6EB-C0A6590CB65B (resized).jpeg
1B8DA88B-077B-40D1-A680-C9AB95CD799D (resized).jpeg
1F1D1824-4F78-4213-A56D-886D23884108 (resized).jpeg
DE0D411D-F5B4-4CFF-810F-2F604B60A126 (resized).jpeg
There are 660 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.
#151 6 years ago

Yea I am using windows , formatted to fat 32 . Downloaded the file to the stick and it won't take ? Am I doing something wrong ? After update just keeps resetting . I'm so pissed . Can someone send me a working code

#152 6 years ago

Game code update I got to work, DMD update I could not.

#153 6 years ago

Try another USB stick as they can be shitty
or
give Stern a call as you can in USA

#154 6 years ago

I reformatted and redownloaded the code and now it's back 100% but absolutely no sound . I'm going to try another USB stick and see if that works . I'm at a loss? Going to contact Stern I the morning

#155 6 years ago

OK it turned out to be a few bad Drives . I got a new thumb drive formatted it downloaded it about a bank I'm back Playing 100 percent. Thank you everybody

1 week later
#156 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

As Oldskool mentioned. Windows format the USB. (I never could get Mac to work with it).
Follow the readme file on updating. It should work.

I found this works for using Mac to format a USB stick. I used this successfully for a JJP update. I believe it will also work for Stern. Note that these instructions assume you're comfortable with the command line; if you're not, better stick to Windows.

- Open Terminal.app
- diskutil list to find what disk the usb stick is mounted as (ie: disk2)
- sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 FAT-32-DISK MBRFormat /dev/disk2

#157 6 years ago

Ok I love this game !!! I bought a cool watermelon shooter rod and the plastic Portector set . I'm wanting to light the gobble hole and didn't know if anyone has done it yet ? If not I guess I will take pics and come up with something . I don't know if it is possible ,but I would like the plastic to glow like the rest of the game . Anyway if anyone is on the fence with this game I say go for it . It's fun ,has a amazing cabinet and everyone that has come over loves it.

#158 6 years ago

Please share it if you come up with an idea. I've always thought that it should have been lit also.

#159 6 years ago

All I could think of was post lights, but this or other requires a hole be drilled in playfield.....unless I missed something.

1 month later
#160 6 years ago

This game after the years I have owned it still surprises me with call outs and fun.
After draining the ball real quick it quoted,

" Did you have a bowl of stupid for breakfast "

simple brilliance.

did_you_eat_a_bowl_of_stupid_large_large (resized).jpgdid_you_eat_a_bowl_of_stupid_large_large (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#161 6 years ago

Dumb question... asking anyways... how do you manage the diagnostics on this game? I see the service buttons on the inside coin door, but do I need some sort of external display or such to know how to navigate through the diags menu to active switch test, lamp test, etc...

#162 6 years ago

It SHOULD have an apron DMD display, ska e as the normal size.

DSCN1449 (resized).jpgDSCN1449 (resized).jpg

#163 6 years ago

Ahhh... what will they think of next. Duh! Thank you

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

This game after the years I have owned it still surprises me with call outs and fun.

Like the Pfffffttttt! "Was that my wife?"

or..

"Full to Burstin' by Second Helpin' on WDD!"

2 weeks later
#165 6 years ago

“A Reminder There’s a Melon Pickin’ Contest ‘This Weekend “ ...

#166 6 years ago

And just heard.. “Let’s thump!”

#167 6 years ago

"Hellens on the left and Ellens on the right"

#168 6 years ago

"Fly poop in the pepper by still picking')
there are just soon many cool call outs

2 weeks later
#169 5 years ago

Real knockers are more fun.
Thanks pinballlife for making this happen.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=5023

PBL Stern knocker, Gottlieb chimesPBL Stern knocker, Gottlieb chimes

PBL Stern knocker board mounted below the cabinet node boardPBL Stern knocker board mounted below the cabinet node board

Warm Whites from CointakerWarm Whites from Cointaker

Warm Whites from CointakerWarm Whites from Cointaker

Chime thread: Gottlieb refurbished chimes - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wnbjm-with-chimes
Warm LED thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-warmer-melony-in-wnbjm-stern-spike-led

#170 5 years ago

Mine had the knocker but those chimes look the bomb Dude.
Where did you get those and how to implement?

#171 5 years ago

Long version: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wnbjm-with-chimes
Short version: http://www.crowriver.com/clock/clockparts.htm

If you can find a set from a parted out game, and refurb them yourself, it'll be a lot cheaper.

3 weeks later
#172 5 years ago

I have a question for club members. I do not own a WNBJM even though I always kind of wanted to (when Stern released these I was a little gun shy based on the price coupled with the fact I had never played one).

If I manage to find one used at this point, I'm kind of curious about the wood finish for the cabinet and backbox. Every photo I've seen of the Stern model is always always a gray cabinet with dark wood backbox. But in this unboxing video, the color scheme is completely reversed. (Check out at the 45 minute mark.)

Personally, I think I would prefer one like in the video - dark wood cabinet/gray backbox. Was this a limited edition or something? I can't find any info about this one.

#173 5 years ago

What goes better with a WNBJM than its cousin The Pabst Can Crusher right next to it?!

I need to make space or this bad boy wouldn't be for sale.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/60915

#174 5 years ago

All models are slightly different as it is real wood and distressed.
Mine is as described bu you. I like it

fullsizeoutput_50 (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_50 (resized).jpeg

#175 5 years ago

So do any owners have the wood finish on the cabinet and backbox reversed? Because that video is the only time I've seen a Stern model look like that. Curiously, that one was on loan from Stern so I have no idea what happened to it once it was shipped back.

#176 5 years ago

Mine is like the picture, but grey brown in the body stain.

Doesnt matter much, the game is both a beautiful piece of art, and one of my most enjoyable games to play.
Guests seem to play this more then any other game I own.

I always finish a game with a smile.....

#177 5 years ago

Mine is the typical mix also. At first I wondered WTF... Now I kinda like it. Resembles a mixed bunch of wood. One the crate, one the cabinet, the other the backbox.

IMG_2931 (resized).jpegIMG_2931 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2932 (resized).jpegIMG_2932 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#178 5 years ago

My "Use More Cowbells" Nellie topper.

IMG_3012 (resized).jpegIMG_3012 (resized).jpeg

#179 5 years ago

Looks like I just joined the club! Anyone know what the wood pieces are for in the second photo? Were these in case I wanted to attach legs to the front of the cabinet? If I'm using the crate, are leg protectors supposed to be exposed in the back like on mine?

0608181114 (resized).jpg0608181114 (resized).jpg0608181115 (resized).jpg0608181115 (resized).jpg
#180 5 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

Looks like I just joined the club! Anyone know what the wood pieces are for in the second photo? Were these in case I wanted to attach legs to the front of the cabinet? If I'm using the crate, are leg protectors supposed to be exposed in the back like on mine?

4 corner pieces for attaching legs. 4 corner pieces with no leg holes for cleaner look when on crate. Swap your rear ones.

#181 5 years ago

My WNBJM that arrived today is all set up and I have a couple of questions for fellow club members.

1. Does anyone know where I can go to get more details on the different difficulty levels for the game?
2. Is it normal for the power supply's fan to be loud? I suppose I don't notice while playing, but man is it noticeable when the machine is powered on and waiting for the next game. If you take the backglass off, it sounds like a 747 getting ready for takeoff.

#182 5 years ago

Power supply fan: Yeah, loud. I'm looking at some of the other spike game threads about the fan and considering swapping mine.

#183 5 years ago

I'm happy it made it there in one piece! The Spike system fans are loud unfortunately. Enjoy Juicy Melons

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from surfsidedetail:

...Enjoy Juicy Melons

I certainly love mine!

#185 5 years ago

My WNBJM that arrived today is all set up and I have a couple of questions for fellow club members.
1. Does anyone know where I can go to get more details on the different difficulty levels for the game?
2. Is it normal for the power supply's fan to be loud? I suppose I don't notice while playing, but man is it noticeable when the machine is powered on and waiting for the next game. If you take the backglass off, it sounds like a 747 getting ready for takeoff.

Via the normal menu in the portal and also dick around with some of the coil settings to make it even more fun, especially the flipper power! ENJOY

#186 5 years ago

Via the normal menu in the portal

Right - but was wondering what was the difference between Sweet/Sassy/Stern.

Also curious about some other things I noticed while rummaging around in the menu...

I noticed in the feature adjustments where I can install bell #1/#2/#3; is this to install an actual physical bell? I noticed earlier there was a discussion in this thread about installing bells, but the game already has bell sounds built in - so, forgive my ignorance - can anyone enlighten me on what is the difference? (Real bells sound better?)

Also, I noticed the default setting for the rollover lanes is for your progress to carryover from ball to ball. For a true EM experience, would this normally happen? I'm thinking about setting this so the lanes reset after your ball drains but would be interested in other opinions on what they like.

#187 5 years ago

Right - but was wondering what was the difference between Sweet/Sassy/Stern.
Also curious about some other things I noticed while rummaging around in the menu...
I noticed in the feature adjustments where I can install bell #1/#2/#3; is this to install an actual physical bell? I noticed earlier there was a discussion in this thread about installing bells, but the game already has bell sounds built in - so, forgive my ignorance - can anyone enlighten me on what is the difference? (Real bells sound better?)
Also, I noticed the default setting for the rollover lanes is for your progress to carryover from ball to ball. For a true EM experience, would this normally happen? I'm thinking about setting this so the lanes reset after your ball drains but would be interested in other opinions on what they like.

Of course real bells/chimes are better.

It's not a true EM experience. It's a hybrid experience. EMs don't have computers, sound package, ball save, dmd, etc. Just embrace it.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

It's not a true EM experience. It's a hybrid experience. EMs don't have computers, sound package, ball save, dmd, etc. Just embrace it.

True, but one of the first things I did was turn off ball save. That just seemed like blasphemy on this machine.

And thank you jfesler for the very insightful topic you posted about the chimes.

#190 5 years ago

Also, the spike knocker kit works great.

#191 5 years ago

I don't like lane change, taken off ball save, no extra ball, I play with the sound/ call outs turned off sometimes so I can hear those lovely bells/ chimes , lane carry over is fine until you reach " the second/ third mode which must be achieved in the ball you are playing ". I believe this is SWEET mode.
Also set mine on 6.5 degree pitch with stronger flipper coil power and boost up bumper coils so it is firkin fast.
It HAS to sit on the crate as it allows some fantastic nudging.
Oh man I love this game, better go and play her now

MELLUNS !

#192 5 years ago

Oh and a house rule of mine is that when you hit the gobble hole you MUST gobble like a turkey.
TOO MUCH FUN for a simple game.

#193 5 years ago

Favorite quote so far..

“Did you eat a bowl of stupid for breakfast or what?”

#194 5 years ago

I play with the sound/ call outs turned off sometimes so I can hear those lovely bells/ chimes

Curious if there is a way to.configure this in the menu. Or do I first need to install real bells/chimes to experience this?

I had some other questions too after having fun with this game the past few days...

I swear there are times I make the skillshot and I'm awarded with one or more rollover lanes in addition to 200 points, but it doesn't always happen. So the machine could be trying to make me think I'm crazy, but is there some kind of logic on what the reward is for the skillshot? (This is with the latest 1.52 code btw.)

Maybe this is a flaw in the rules, but I actually think it would be to my advantage to NOT hit the gobble hole once I have all four rollover lanes lit. (Although I do like hearing it's"thumpin' time". )

I asked this earlier, but does anyone know the difference between the Sweet/Sassy/Stern difficulty settings?

#195 5 years ago

No need for real chimes/bells. If I remember correct you need to turn down sound attenuation to zero.
As far as skill shot make sure, mine did this a few months back and found out another switch on play field was too close thus cancelling skill shot. Do a switch test and see.

Basically just stuff around within the portal menu and see what YOU like.

HONEY DEW WHAT !!!!!!!! he he

#196 5 years ago

So the machine could be trying to make me think I'm crazy, but is there some kind of logic on what the reward is for the skillshot?

I have mine set to "Sweet" and yes, it usually awards me an upper lane rollover for hitting the skill shot.
I think I deserve it! (:

#197 5 years ago

I hope the quote I just heard was: "Your bucket keeps leaking water!"

But is sure sounded like: "Your butt keeps leaking water!"

Another new one.

#198 5 years ago

I wish I’d bought one of those standees. I don’t imagine there are anymore out there for sale?

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

I wish I’d bought one of those standees. I don’t imagine there are anymore out there for sale?

I've got one that has never been set up. Not sure how I'd ship it though.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've got one that has never been set up. Not sure how I'd ship it though.

Airline Ticket Seat?

That would be a photo!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 660 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-club-all-welcome/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.