(Topic ID: 152655)

Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons Club - all welcome!

By RobertWinter

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 453 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 81 days ago by oldskool1969
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WNBJM voices Rod Olsen Jerry Thompson (resized).jpg
ALL 3 code (resized).jpg
20190131_174803 (resized).jpg
wnbjm (resized).JPG
huhuhuh-you-said-penetrate (resized).jpg
WTF (resized).jpg
Gobble hole lit WNBJM (resized).jpg
IMAG0508 (resized).jpg
IMAG0506 (resized).jpg
IMAG0500 (resized).jpg
IMAG0501 (resized).jpg
IMG_6727 (resized).jpg
fullsizeoutput_121 (resized).jpeg
371C4DE3-E8EC-44BB-8C72-7F2DE8B8C07A (resized).jpeg
DSC_0365 (resized).JPG
DSC_0364 (resized).JPG

There are 453 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 3 years ago

Replacement melon shooter knob arrived today. Sorry, no pics. Auto focus on my phone camera is on the fritz. The quality and finish is much better this time around. Kudos to Stern for a quick and painless resolution.

#52 3 years ago

I printed a few extra copies of the Free Play cards on card stock. If anyone would like a set (1 of each), PM me your mailing address and I'll drop them in the mail for you.

#53 3 years ago

What was price on these new. Game does look fun

#54 3 years ago

I think the street price is around $5500.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I think the street price is around $5500.

I have seen $5300 shipped in the past, but I think Stern is getting stingy or with their pricing requirements from distributors.

#56 3 years ago

So, I just got my second Nellie this week and I had an epiphany. I got a game of thrones premium two weeks ago and I swapped out the red Lane guides for blue on Game of Thrones. I still had the red ones laying around and decided to throw them on Nellie and they fit the color scheme perfectly with the watermelon theme and the fact that all of the plastic posts are the same red on the game. Thought they looked really sharp and didn't cost me a dime!! Apologize for the terrible quality pic

image_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#57 3 years ago

Here's a recent interview with the woman behind Melony's voice -

http://pavlovpinball.com/whoa-nellie-one-on-one-with-melony-mellon/

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Do the two bells (black vs. plated) sound different from each other? They are the same size.
What is common for games that used bells? Did they normally have only one bell or more?

MORE COWBELL!!!

#59 3 years ago

Dad loves Nellie and even gobbles like a turkey when you get the shot in the gobble hole. BTW this IS a house rule.

IMG_0803_(resized).JPG

#61 3 years ago

I think 3 chimes would be too much. I'm thinking of a single bell chime hooked to the 100 point output.

#62 3 years ago

Do the two bells (black vs. plated) sound different from each other? They are the same size.
What is common for games that used bells? Did they normally have only one bell or more?

Sorry for the late reply, but I went away for a while.

Those two bells have different tones. Some games have a third bell that is larger. Some only have two. Most Ems up to around 1970 used bells before being replaced by chimes. Each manufacture had their own bells with different tones. The ones that are available are Gottliebs used mostly for 1 and 10 pt. scoring.

#63 3 years ago

I'm now in the club... now get back in the truck!

3 weeks later
#65 3 years ago

A few years ago, when I was converting a 1957 Gottlieb Continental Cafe into a home-grown EM Whoa Nellie, complete with a Gottlieb chime unit, I stumbled upon some obscure facts about Whizbang's genesis and creation of the game. For those interested, below is a link to my article about WNBJM. Also, below are a couple of photos of my game (more photos are included in the article).

http://www.thedeadlyspawn.com/pinball411/pinball-article/

1495954_730525163646945_2109676463_o_(resized).jpg

Image_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#66 3 years ago

I am FINALLY a member! Melony made her way here today safe and sound.

IMG_4358_(resized).JPGIMG_4357_(resized).JPG

FullSizeRender_8_(resized).jpg

#67 3 years ago

Bet you it will be played more than the MM next to her. Congrats Dude.

#68 3 years ago

So I will ask again ? Another whiz bing pin ?

Drop targets please

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Bet you it will be played more than the MM next to her. Congrats Dude.

You're probably correct. We've wanted one for a while now, just had to wait until the price got more in line with our fun-budget.

#70 3 years ago

HUO WNBJM for sale in So. CA (not mine). $4700

losangeles.craigslist.org link

#71 3 years ago

I love it because anyone can play.

image_(resized).jpeg

1 month later
#72 3 years ago

Hi guys!

Not a owner, but I have a question I hope you can answer. I love the form of the main body, and I am wondering what the dimensions are?
Length, height, width.

Thanks!!

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Elf-Six:

I love the form of the main body, and I am wondering what the dimensions are?

If I were to guess, 42, 22, 34.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from Phantom1911:

If I were to guess, 42, 22, 34.

Should have chosen my words more careful

1 week later
#75 3 years ago
Quoted from Elf-Six:

Hi guys!
Not a owner, but I have a question I hope you can answer. I love the form of the main body, and I am wondering what the dimensions are?

The crate the game sits on is 40" x 26" x 20".
Cabinet body is 53" x 24" x 17".
Overall game on crate is 53" x 29" x 70".

All dimensions are length, width, height.

3 months later
#76 2 years ago

Okay best scores please. Finally got the GC on my own machine, set up as "sweet" in menu, 5 ball and no extra ball.

Score is 8009.

Can anyone beat that or has clocked it? glass on of course

totally addictive

nellie 8009 (resized).jpg

#77 2 years ago

Very happy to join this rather exclusive club. Got my Melons a week ago and love it. I swapped a Tron Pro for it believe it or not - I absolutely love Tron, but who can resist Melons? There's only three in Australia as far as I know, so feel a bit privileged to be one of those three.

My highest score so far is 8700 (as seen in the picture). Just got that tonight!

IMG_1639 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#78 2 years ago

Trying so hard to beat that score! Man it is hard. You set on 3 or 5 ball, on crate and what pitch and power of coils?
The third owner in Aus is here in Perth and we looooooooove this piece of art so much. Fun as buggery too!

1 week later
#79 2 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Trying so hard to beat that score! Man it is hard. You set on 3 or 5 ball, on crate and what pitch and power of coils?
The third owner in Aus is here in Perth and we looooooooove this piece of art so much. Fun as buggery too!

Default settings, 5 balls, and I haven't changed the pitch at all from how I received it. It's certainly not steep though, in fact probably as flat as it gets.

I remember when the game first arrived in Australia, it was on location at Coogee Diggers by AMD. On that one I won a competition for highest score set over the first month, which was over 9000. So I at least want to beat that at some stage!

2 weeks later
#80 2 years ago

Has anyone put a protector on the gobble hole at all? If so, what and where did you get it? I'm just looking at mine and noticing that's the spot that's getting some wear, but I don't know if there's anything out there that can do anything about it...

#81 2 years ago

Not that I am aware of. Wear is good as it means you are playing it a lot!
Mine is too, I like that. Maybe try some nail hardener ( chicks use it for their finger nails ) I have heard this works.

#82 2 years ago

I am having problem with updating the code - I am currently on 1.1 and there is a 1.58 and when I download it from stern...its a .spk file and not .spv (dont know if that is a type o from stern) -- But I but it on the flash drive and I am following the instructions -- but When I put the stick in and then turn on the machine -- Nothing happens -- sometimes the screen goes black and weird looking but It is not saying anything to me that it is updating

Has anyone updated to 1.58 or have had problems

thanks for any help

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from Mar:

Has anyone put a protector on the gobble hole at all? If so, what and where did you get it? I'm just looking at mine and noticing that's the spot that's getting some wear, but I don't know if there's anything out there that can do anything about it...

Yes. That spot wears quickly where the ball pops up. PBL had those florescent plastic protectors.
My Gobble hole plastic had started to show a wear spot. The plastic protector worked great to stop it.

IMG_0735 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#84 2 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Yes. That spot wears quickly where the ball pops up. PBL had those florescent plastic protectors.
My Gobble hole plastic had started to show a wear spot. The plastic protector worked great to stop it.

Thanks very much for this, I'll check them out!

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

So I will ask again ? Another whiz bing pin ?
Drop targets please

Drop targets just like Williams used in the 60s would be way cool!

#86 2 years ago

So WNBJM owners: any special rules or scoring features on the game? I've been playing the PBR version recently (which I assume has identical scoring) and what I'm aware of offhand is:

* each rollover lane completed lights a respective pop bumper and rollover button for higher point values
* completing all four rollovers activates the saucer for 500 (?) points

I don't particularly care for the "dead" bumper at the top, but the overall gameplay, although apparently limited rules-wise, is fun and challenging. I actually dig the PBR's theme and playfield artwork better, but its price is a real bummer. WNBJM's callouts and sounds seems to be the better of the two also.

http://store.pabstblueribbon.com/products/pabst-can-crusher-pinball-machine

Any additional gameplay insights would be appreciated!

#87 2 years ago

When all lanes completed and you score the gobble hole. Thinning time happens. Lanes start to flash and are worth big points, it seems call outs are different again. I am sure scores are doubled and the challenge is then to complete all lanes in 1 ball ( firkin hard ) I have not seen the third " mode " nor I have I clocked it. Refuse e to take the glass off.
Sometimes the simple things in life are the best. Love to see a Can Crusher and see/hear her.

#88 2 years ago

Yeah I haven't gotten to the third set yet either, but rumour has it that's the 'ultimate' goal.

I have a new high score of 9055, so I'm getting close to clocking it. I'll be giving it a good go this weekend so here's hoping...

#89 2 years ago

Thanks - just played a Pabst Can Crusher again at lunch today and was only able to complete all 4 rollover lanes twice (on 3-ball play), but hit the saucer after one of them to activate "CRUSHIN TIME"! As with WNBJM, lanes and various lights started flashing, but unfortunately, it didn't last long enough for me to tell exactly what all the point values were.

Definitely a fun game. I wish it had bonus scoring too though!

#90 2 years ago

......turned mine on this week, for the first time in 4 months and addicted all over again!

She was covered, and unwrapping those Melons again was like Christmas!

#91 2 years ago

Found jgentry's rules description in a previous thread. Good stuff!

#92 2 years ago

Well I got a fair bit of time on my melons over the weekend - I have the sore palms to prove it (from nudging guys, get your minds out of the gutter).

I managed to get the rollovers a second time through and collect at the gobble hole. I can confirm that doing this gives you some new callouts (I won't spoil them), and also changes the 200 point lit up shot to a flashing lit shot that awards 300 per shot (not actually sure the value as I couldn't look up! But the sound dings 3 times instead of 2). The rollovers then continue to flash as if you were trying to complete them a second time. Unfortunately I only managed to collect one more then drained...

So the challenge is still on - collect the rollovers 3 times. It's bloody hard!

1 week later
#93 2 years ago

Has anyone tried putting the PBR code into a Nellie? No code on their site but *someone* must have backed up the PBR code on their machine...

#94 2 years ago

Has anyone tried putting the PBR code into a Nellie? No code on their site but *someone* must have backed up the PBR code on their machine...

I would like to do this too!

#95 2 years ago

Whoa Nellie is number 1 on my list. Hope to purchase one after Christmas. $4500 range. First new machine in a long time that I actually like. No monsters, aliens or black on either the playfield or cabinet. Just big melons!

#96 2 years ago

Doesn't seem to be any owned in the UK (could easily just not have updated their collection) which sucks because I would love to see one in person and play a few games on one. Anyone from the UK browse this thread own or know of any UK based WNBJM?

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Doesn't seem to be any owned in the UK (could easily just not have updated their collection) which sucks because I would love to see one in person and play a few games on one. Anyone from the UK browse this thread own or know of any UK based WNBJM?

If you are ever coming over to Belgium, I have one. It's about 600 km from Leicester

#98 2 years ago

A couple questions for WNBJM owners:

1. Does the game only have one speaker (none in the backbox)?

2. I'm not seeing any info re: game adjustments in the WNBJM manual pdf available online via Stern. Is this available anywhere or did you just have to figure these out via the service menu display?

Thanks.

1 week later
#99 2 years ago

<crickets>

Thanks anyway - found out that speakers are in backbox pointing downwards.

Guess I'll discover game adjustments first hand as I have a Pabst Can Crusher on the way.

#100 2 years ago

Well good for you , thumbs up. Discovery is half the fun. Enjoy Dude

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 189.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
There are 453 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside