(Topic ID: 197374)

Who would pay to have manufacturers install Cliffy's on NIB machines?

By PtownPin

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by UltraPeepi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you pay $100-$150 to have Cliffy's installed during the manufacturing process?”

• Yes 41 votes
      66%
    • No 21 votes
      34%

(62 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I think we all realize that buying NIB pinball machines is a bit pricey, but what has never made sense to me is why they don't include "Cliffy" protectors on the games. I suspect a large portion of owners install these on their machines after purchase (new or used). Why wouldn't the manufacturers offer these? If they did would you pay an extra $100-$200 to have them installed? IMHO its a no brainer as many are a pain in the ass to install, but necessary to protect the investment.

#2 1 year ago

Not possible for newly design pinball machines for early adopters, but down the line sure, or remakes that are a known entity. Don't know that Cliffy has access to manufacturers drawings before first delivery, he needs a machine in the field to design the protectors I think.

#3 1 year ago

Library scoop on GB came with a cliffy NIB

#4 1 year ago

I think it would be cool for a company to partner with Cliffy and offer them out of the gate as a selling point. I imagine costs would be low and what Cliffy loses in mark up to collectors he would make up in volume. They would be a lot cheaper than $100 and we would never notice the cost anyway. Best of all, it would be a huge plus for the people who buy now and later on.

Just my two cents

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Library scoop on GB came with a cliffy NIB

I did not know that...cool.

#6 1 year ago

I think all newer stern games are coming with cliffy's Ghostbusters, Aerosmith, and star wars all came with cliffy's on the scoops.

#7 1 year ago

My GB Pro factory scoop protector broke and the Cliffy tm protector that replaced it is holding up fine.

I understand "cliffy" is used like the word kleenex but the quality is different on the factory protectors

#8 1 year ago

Funny, was just emailing Cliff today about manufacturers and some retailers copying and reverse engineering his stuff.

What you're seeing on NIB Sterns are not genuine products Cliffy makes!

#10 1 year ago

At current prices I feel like I am already paying enough to have protectors installed from factory. It would also be great for manufacturers to collaborate with Cliffy and Mantis.

Thosd guys have been amazing for this hobby and it would be a great way for that to be acknowledged by manufacturers and reward those guys hardwork.

#11 1 year ago

A metal protector, no thanks. A genuine Cliffy protector, you bet!

#12 1 year ago

Full game protectors are definitely not included in any NIB machine that I've seen. Yea maybe they add a few here and there, but I've never seen a Cliffy installed on the shooter lane for example....for $20 retail its a no brainer....he could probably wholesale them to the manufacturers for less than $50, and they could sell....

#13 1 year ago

Depends what/where/how many there are. I'm not paying for a shooter lane protector or shit like that.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Depends what/where/how many there are. I'm not paying for a shooter lane protector or shit like that.

really why? the only reason you install Cliffy's is to protect certain areas of your game, and thats clearly an area that gets a lot of abuse...for $20 it seems like a no brainer...

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

really why? the only reason you install Cliffy's is to protect certain areas of your game, and thats clearly an area that gets a lot of abuse...for $20 it seems like a no brainer...

Because I'm not spending $20 on something that isn't needed (that's how they get ya! ).
    I have owned 20 games ranging from 1965 to last week. Having a dent in the shooter lane doesn't make a tear roll down my eye, it's going to happen. I only have 1 machine that shooter lane that's really bad, like it looks like a chisel was taken to it...and the thing works fine.
    I understand diaper-rubbing is gaining even more steam now that the price of games keeps increasing, but there's a point you have to stop. I'm not paying for a shooter lane protector, I'm not paying for a protector for the skill shot switch area you can;t see in DI...other areas like the chipping, cracking, chucking in the sim card hole yes.

EDIT: That's not even getting into the idea as stated below that I'm not going to pay someone more for something I can do myself. Because it isn't going to be just $20 to add it...it's never that easy. A la cart mods are going to add time & price to machines.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I think we all realize that buying NIB pinball machines is a bit pricey, but what has never made sense to me is why they don't include "Cliffy" protectors on the games. I suspect a large portion of owners install these on their machines after purchase (new or used). Why wouldn't the manufacturers offer these? If they did would you pay an extra $100-$200 to have them installed? IMHO its a no brainer as many are a pain in the ass to install, but necessary to protect the investment.

Hell No! DIY!

Plus Stern already puts their protectors on now.

#17 1 year ago

Ae A older HUO collector,YES!!

#18 1 year ago

I don't think it is smart business to add them as an option. The NIB machine either needs to come with them or not.

I really like my Cliffy protectors.

IF a metal protector is "needed", the manufacturer can design and install them better than any after market product. The thickness of the metal protector can be routed into the playfield design all but eliminating the Cliffy lip. The metal protector would be accounted for in the play testing.

So, to answer the topic's question: no, maufacturers should not install (or offer to install) after market Cliffy protectors.

#19 1 year ago

I would happily pay a premium for a game to come with protectors installed NIB. To me, a no-brainer.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I understand "cliffy" is used like the word kleenex but the quality is different on the factory protectors

So very TRUE.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from UltraPeepi:

I don't think it is smart business to add them as an option. The NIB machine either needs to come with them or not.
    I really like my Cliffy protectors.
    IF a metal protector is "needed", the manufacturer can design and install them better than any after market product. The thickness of the metal protector can be routed into the playfield design all but eliminating the Cliffy lip. The metal protector would be accounted for in the play testing.
    So, to answer the topic's question: no, maufacturers should not install (or offer to install) after market Cliffy protectors.

The lip on Cliffy protectors have very little affect on game play. I have them on all my machines and theres zero impact.

#22 1 year ago

Manufacturers are not going to partner with cliff. They will just have their own made and cut him out. I would much rather pay him $50 for a set than pay $100 for their cliffy copy. It took him lots of time and effort to get his product/technique down pat and I would much rather support a pinhead than a corporate bank account.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

The lip on Cliffy protectors have very little affect on game play. I have them on all my machines and theres zero impact.

Game by game. Some are noticeably harder some make no diff'rence.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Manufacturers are not going to partner with cliff. They will just have their own made and cut him out. I would much rather pay him $50 for a set than pay $100 for their cliffy copy. It took him lots of time and effort to get his product/technique down pat and I would much rather support a pinhead than a corporate bank account.

This is a great point. I posted earlier that I'd gladly pay a premium for factory install. What I imagined when I said that is using genuine Cliffys.

#25 1 year ago

Travish hit the nail on the head with a 10lb sledge hammer.

Quoted from Travish:Manufacturers are not going to partner with cliff. They will just have their own made and cut him out. I would much rather pay him $50 for a set than pay $100 for their cliffy copy. It took him lots of time and effort to get his product/technique down pat and I would much rather support a pinhead than a corporate bank account.

-Mike

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I have them too. I love them, but not "zero impact". I had to shave one of mine down because it would occasionally cause a stucky. A nudge would free it; but I don't expect a player to have to nudge a ball free just so I can protect my scoop entrance.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Game by game. Some are noticeably harder some make no diff'rence.

True. Solid shot: good. Finesse shot: slight impact on the ball trajectory.

Edit: ...but that wasn't my main point.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 259.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 35.00
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 169.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside