New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 7167)

Who would buy a Zombieland pin from JPop

By GAP

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC00406.JPG

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

I'm not sure I'm understanding you?
Look at high end cars, art, guns etc? only a select few of the population has these but you don't say what ashame not everyone can have these. Yeah it would be nice if everyone drove a Bugatti
And your wrong so many people will enjoy these pins, have a party, invite friends over, take it to a show(yes I would but dont hold me to it haha) etc
Only diff is YOU won't have one in your basement unless you put the investment from the start..

Fair enough...as a commercial artist, the more eyes on my creation, the more satisfaction I feel. I imagine game creators feel the same way. The more people enjoying their creation, the better.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Plus the fact that we BHZA buyers haven't heard anything in terms of what is going on with the project, no group/discussion forum for owners......nothing....didn't help either.

A $200 plane ticket and you would still be the owner of #19.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

but if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around....ya know?

There will be over 130 people around and their friends to witness. These pins are going to make alot on noise. John also does not want his ideas the leak out bc he knows others will use it in there pins b4 he can get his pin out.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

A $200 plane ticket and you would still be the owner of #19.

Not sure why you think that. Like I said, that was an *additional* reason that I got out, not the only reason by a long shot.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Fair enough...as a commercial artist, the more eyes on my creation, the more satisfaction I feel. I imagine game creators feel the same way. The more people enjoying their creation, the better.

I agree with that, but sometimes art doesn't need to be seen; it just needs to be expressed by the artist.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

We are working hard to get the first 3 MG protos built now, then folks will see our creativity, hand drawn artwork, quality and invention for these new pinballs. Will make the MG owners happy and will give the BHZA owners a glimpse into how a custom game will look and feel.

John, I can't wait to see the final product you and Ben put out!!

#107 7 years ago

I think Rarehero is right to refer to JPOP as an artist. I think what is being missed is that BHZA is being done the way it is being done (an expensive machine in a small run) so that the art can exist at all. From viewing an expo speech he gave, JPOP was an artist without a patron. He wanted to design machines, but had no outlet once Zizzle fell apart. He said that he continued to design machines, but he had no way for them to come to life. He then saw a new way of doing things by having patrons finance the art through presales which will allow him complete creative control and allow him to create what he wants to create. I don't think there is a desire on his part to create an exclusive machine for the wealthy. My guess is that he is taking a big step from the numbers of MG to the numbers of BHZA with a price decrease and that he would probably like to see the numbers increase and the price decrease even further on the next machine.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not sure why you think that

It would of answered alot of your unknowns.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

It would of [sic] answered alot [sic] of your unknowns.

[Apologies for quoting a grammatically erroneous post, but...] Agreed, a visit to the workshop has really gotten other pre-purchasers quite excited, both by the progress and the quality/features of the game, from all reports.

#110 7 years ago

It is my sincere hope that these "baby steps" by John and company are steadily building up to future games having more mainstream production numbers so that many more can, once again, enjoy his designs, innovation and flare for pure fun.

Even of he managed to match the production numbers that Stern sets for their LE models, I think that would be a respectable place to be and still allow him to maintain the very high levels he expects of his projects. But, if not, I'm just happy he's still out there doing what he does best, in any shape or form... the same way I'd be excited if PLAW and others made a comeback to pinball.

#111 7 years ago

I got out too - so my game is available. Decided to go a different route and did not need the money tied up for years. I also didn't like that there was no news on the project. That is just me, I was waiting for type of news and it was just not happening. I will say that John refunded my money immediately with no questions asked and is a class act. He might of persuaded me to stay in if he called me but that does not seem to be his style.

#112 7 years ago

I'm looking foward to seeing a pin that isn't caught up with the cost cutting we see all the time. It's going to be something to see a JPop pin the way it's ment to be with no corners or cost cutting. It may take sometime but the guy wants it done right the first time. JPop take your time and make the way you think it should be made and we'll be here.

CTBHZA #25 (the last in line)

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

It would of answered alot of your unknowns.

I think requiring a trip from SoCal to Illinois and back again in order to answer a lot of "unknowns" is a bit ridiculous. This isn't the 19th century. We even have this thing called the internets.

#114 7 years ago

Has anyone cancelled after seeing the prototype mg or bhza?
Every account of someone who has actually seen it seems extremely positive...
Jpop and ben heck sound like a pretty killer team to me.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Has anyone cancelled after seeing the prototype mg or bhza?
Every account of someone who has actually seen it seems extremely positive...
Jpop and ben heck sound like a pretty killer team to me.

+1 on that....Not one person who has actually seen the progress and visited with Jpop aren't extremely positive and if you have heard John speak at these shows or get a chance to experience his enthusiasm and knowledge you know right away that looks can be deceiving! He is an impressive dude....

I think he'll get these pins out by the end of 2014 first quarter! I would think sourcing parts for 142 pins is a whole lot easier than 2,000...and yeah, I know, code, details, etc....but I'm a believer!

#116 7 years ago

Besides, we'll have JJP #2 and Star Wars to hold us over until this piece of artwork hits!

#117 7 years ago

I have seen "to much" John said. After my visit with John your crazy to be out!! He doesn't want to put stuff out on the internet bc it will be stolen. John will deliver and it will be EPIC!

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I got out too - so my game is available. Decided to go a different route and did not need the money tied up for years. I also didn't like that there was no news on the project. That is just me, I was waiting for type of news and it was just not happening. I will say that John refunded my money immediately with no questions asked and is a class act. He might of persuaded me to stay in if he called me but that does not seem to be his style.

Quoted from RobT:

I think requiring a trip from SoCal to Illinois and back again in order to answer a lot of "unknowns" is a bit ridiculous. This isn't the 19th century. We even have this thing called the internets.

Well, a visit isn't required (but many people have been eager to visit, see what's up, chat, etc.). Rob, we also have this thing called a 'telephone' (there are even portable ones now without wires!) and John is always happy to discuss details and answer questions when you call him. From what I've heard, John made it pretty clear that any MG or BHZA customers can call him any time with any questions or visit his workshop. If either of you were expecting him to reach out to you first, well, there was probably some misunderstanding. (And if you want to use JJP as an example of online info, they had a different approach; JJP has been releasing controlled info from early on to attract pre-purchasers to fund their larger startup. OTOH, Stern doesn't even officially reveal the theme of their next pin until less than a couple of months before release, even though it's been in development for a long time. Each pinball maker has their own approach to communicating progress, based on their particular situation.)

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Rob, we also have this thing called a 'telephone' (there are even portable ones now without wires!) and John is always happy to discuss details and answer questions when you call him.

I agree about using a phone. Reminds me of my calls to Wayne about my reserved MM. He held his phone up so I could hear the all the different machines making parts for it. Oh, wait..., that is not a good analogy. Regular updates go a long way into reassuring your investors. Yes, they are investors until there is something to purchase. I would also stop by if I had the opportunity.

That was the number one lesson I learned from the MM debacle.

JPop is an incredible designer, and I am sure it will be great, and I hope it works out to be a win/win for everybody involved.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Each pinball maker has their own approach to communicating progress, based on their particular situation

Right. And the approach taken on BHZA isn't for me. No public discussion among buyers, NDA, no pictures to speak of, etc. I much prefer the way JJP was doing it. Either way, JPop is one of my favorite designers, the theme kicks ass, the art will be phenomenal, and I'm sure it will be a sweet pin when it comes out. I just wanted to enjoy the ride along the way, and it was obvious to me at this point that that just wasn't going to happen. It wasn't like this was a rash decision for me. I have no regrets at this point. Will I regret it in a few years when BHZA is finally released? That's certainly possible, but I won't have money tied up with nothing to show for it for years either.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

jpop said:

We are working hard to get the first 3 MG protos built now, then folks will see our creativity, hand drawn artwork, quality and invention for these new pinballs. Will make the MG owners happy and will give the BHZA owners a glimpse into how a custom game will look and feel.

Although I love to bad mouth this project because I think it will never get done, the bottom line is JPOP is great and I love it when he posts here!

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Besides, we'll have JJP #2 and Star Wars to hold us over until this piece of artwork hits!

Star Wars, no Jar Jar please. Just the first movie is all I want.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I just wanted to enjoy the ride along the way, and it was obvious to me at this point that that just wasn't going to happen.

I can appreciate this.
I have felt the same way and its the only real negative for me on this project. I had really hoped for more interaction. Give me an experience and include me in the process... not just if/when I can make it to Chicago. I bought into the "experience" of being involved in this process and I'm sad to say I have yet to get that.

I'm still in, but was hoping for a little bit more. A private forum or something? More regular peeks into the workshop where I don't have to watch an hour-long film of Ben drinking beer before finally catching a glimpse of the game.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Right. And the approach taken on BHZA isn't for me. No public discussion among buyers, NDA, no pictures to speak of, etc. I much prefer the way JJP was doing it. Either way, JPop is one of my favorite designers, the theme kicks ass, the art will be phenomenal, and I'm sure it will be a sweet pin when it comes out. I just wanted to enjoy the ride along the way, and it was obvious to me at this point that that just wasn't going to happen. It wasn't like this was a rash decision for me. I have no regrets at this point. Will I regret it in a few years when BHZA is finally released? That's certainly possible, but I won't have money tied up with nothing to show for it for years either.

Fair enough. I guess Stern's approach also works, as their newest game is available soon after it's announced, with no "waiting in the dark."

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Although I love to bad mouth this project because I think it will never get done, the bottom line is JPOP is great and I love it when he posts here!

You still think it will never get done, while he's busy assembling prototypes?

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

I just got back from Chicago and my visit with John. What John is doing is out of this world stuff. I saw the 3 prototype MG's cabs sitting in his studio. He also gave me a good peek at the MG art work (lower playfield). Its out of control crazy! If you were on MG or BHZA and back out I do feel bad for you. The things he is doing with these 2 pins is next level stuff. Its going to make these new games look old and outdated. What he is doing is going to change pinball for ever. If you think his other games looked good you havent seen nothing yet. John is a Perfectionist and you can tell in his work. If I had the money right now I would Pay In Full for a MG. BHZA #19 and will wait patiently for its arrival bc it will be the day of days.

Was that you I meet Sunday after Expo? Those drawings in the front room were ultra impressive indeed!

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

JPop is an incredibly talented designer with a history of beautiful machines having terrible code. Cam Silver rescued CV from the ashes, but TOTAN still sucks monkey nuts and SWEp1 is, well, SWEp1. Was in on Magic Girl, but was expected to fork over a ton of nonrefundable money on faith without seeing so much as a pf layout. I backed out at that point. I predict BHZA and MG will each have their unique high points, but that neither will have the feel and build quality of a piece of commercial equipment. And after all, isn't that what it's all about? To OWN the coin slot?

Does this mean your MG spot is open?

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Was that you I meet Sunday after Expo? Those drawings in the front room were ultra impressive indeed!

Nope.

#128 7 years ago

Jpop will come through with some type of blog or forum for the owners as promised and surely not expect the owners would actually have to travel to his studio for an idea of what is going on, this is why he had the owners sign the non-disclosure.
It would simply be absurd that he would expect further payments without any refunds and without informing the owners with the progress.

7 years later
#129 9 months ago

Just a few more weeks now!

#130 9 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just a few more weeks now!

#131 9 months ago

I know the answer: let's raise the dead.

#132 9 months ago

This thread was raised from the dead.

In the time this thread was dead we had two other Zombie pins RZ and TWD.

2 weeks later
#133 9 months ago

The Zombieland Prototype I played would be too intense for todays Pinball Aficionado. I am glad they decided to re-work it into something a little more mainstream. Never before experienced actual chills running up the back of my head, from what I was able to learn a special frequency designed to produce this particular effect was implemented in the MPU. independent from the sound unit.
Glad the Public didn't have to endure this experiment, there would have been an outcry. The ramps, however, were excellent.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
Tommy's Pins
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 29.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Arizona Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 3.50
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside