Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by theBRAIN
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC00406.JPG

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

Well we will work on the G aspect, trick is to make a game that appeals to more folks than less.

No doubt you need to walk the line between slapstick and horror/adventure. It doesn't need to be gruesome to be great, but you can't have zombies without some gore. You could count me in at the JJP price range, can't wait to see it!

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

davewth said:It's pretty sad that i'm like 5 minutes away from that machine and i haven't begged you to let me play it yet.
Wait for me to finish the code first.
I still gotta get over to your place to check out JD too!

Madison area pinball party, I'm in.

#53 7 years ago

Anyone for some Zombie Bowling or the Zombie head toss? Jpop

#54 7 years ago

I'm thinking escape the city or escape the house.
Zombie shootout.
Zombie dismemberment - one shot for each limb ect.
Barricade - barricade the house.
Collect zombie survival gear.

Let me think of a few more. These are just what came up in 60 seconds thought. I love magnets and flashers so anything those could be incorporated in.

#55 7 years ago

Zombie hoard multiball

#56 7 years ago

sounds fun, how far into this are we? Idea stage only....?

1 week later
#57 7 years ago

Hmm stern's zombie hint/tease may of sparked a quick update by jpop?

http://www.pinballinventor.org/shazaam.html

slight update to the site.

9 months later
#58 7 years ago

Any update with this project? Are there still any available to preorder?

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Any update with this project? Are there still any available to preorder?

Email or call John and tell him you want to get on the waiting list. If someone decides not to continue he'll probably give you the spot.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Email or call John and tell him you want to get on the waiting list. If someone decides not to continue he'll probably give you the spot.

He can have my spot.

I got my refund Saturday.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

He can have my spot.
I got my refund Saturday.

Awwwwww sh**********t!!!!

#63 7 years ago

I would buy one in 2020....................Oh wait, that's when its coming out.

#64 7 years ago

JPOP was great and gave me my refund instantly. Love the game concept and of course the team. I just have no ability to wait for stuff .

#65 7 years ago

JPop is an incredibly talented designer with a history of beautiful machines having terrible code. Cam Silver rescued CV from the ashes, but TOTAN still sucks monkey nuts and SWEp1 is, well, SWEp1. Was in on Magic Girl, but was expected to fork over a ton of nonrefundable money on faith without seeing so much as a pf layout. I backed out at that point. I predict BHZA and MG will each have their unique high points, but that neither will have the feel and build quality of a piece of commercial equipment. And after all, isn't that what it's all about? To OWN the coin slot?

#66 7 years ago

What's the estimated release date

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

What's the estimated release date

Supposed to be the end of next year but just like with JJ I'm thinking not gonna happen....probably March or so of the following year?

I'm still in and will wait....why not...I'm used to it now...it's hard to believe its almost two years now for WOZ!...

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Supposed to be the end of next year but just like with JJ I'm thinking not gonna happen....probably March or so of the following year?
I'm still in and will wait....why not...I'm used to it now...it's hard to believe its almost two years now for WOZ!...

Two years for WOZ and that's with a factory, a team of animators, one of the best programmers in pinball, a business plan for a viable company, etc....with such lofty ambitions but a smaller production crew (seemingly) ...I'm gonna call 5 years minimum on these projects.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Two years for WOZ and that's with a factory, a team of animators, one of the best programmers in pinball, a business plan for a viable company, etc....with such lofty ambitions but a smaller production crew (seemingly) ...I'm gonna call 5 years minimum on these projects.

I know, that makes a lot of sense, except that Skit B is getting it done somehow also.....I wouldn't bet on any time frame!

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I know, that makes a lot of sense, except that Skit B is getting it done somehow also.....I wouldn't bet on any time frame!

Skit-B is doing a relatively traditional game with a DMD...that DMD is using ripped movie clips. WOZ, even with its theme - needed TONS of new animation and FX for the Color LCD. Correct me if I'm wrong - but don't MG and BHZA use a color LCD? So - not only do they need custom color animation - they need 100% all original animation as there's no licensed footage to jumpstart the project.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't know about 5 years, but the things that you mention above played a very large role in my decision to get out.

Plus the fact that we BHZA buyers haven't heard anything in terms of what is going on with the project, no group/discussion forum for owners......nothing....didn't help either.

Just too many unknowns for me at this point in time, with nothing to give me reason/confidence to stay in and risk more money since I believe that payments from this point forward (November) are now non-refundable.

Finally, as Pinlawyer said, I do worry about what the code will be like. They don't have a Keefer or Lyman working for them.

I'm taking my refund and will apply it towards a high end restoration of an AFM. It will actually cost more than BHZA, but at least I know exactly what I'm getting.

I think the theme and artwork on BHZA is going to be phenomenal when it is released, but virtually everything else about it is up in the air..

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think the theme and artwork on BHZA is going to be phenomenal when it is released, but virtually everything else about it is up in the air..

Not to mention...where the F is Magic Girl? Just seems waaaay too ambitious to do both of these things at once.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not to mention...where the F is Magic Girl? Just seems waaaay too ambitious to do both of these things at once.

Yep.

#74 7 years ago

It seems to me that SkitB and JPOP/HECK would be a match made in heaven if they could somehow combine their talents. JPOP/Heck are great at mechanical toys/gimmicks and playfield layout whereas the SkitB guys appear to be good programmers with some novel ruleset ideas.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I don't know about 5 years, but the things that you mention above played a very large role in my decision to get out.
Plus the fact that we BHZA buyers haven't heard anything in terms of what is going on with the project, no group/discussion forum for owners......nothing....didn't help either.
Just too many unknowns for me at this point in time, with nothing to give me reason/confidence to stay in and risk more money since I believe that payments from this point forward (November) are now non-refundable.
Finally, as Pinlawyer said, I do worry about what the code will be like. They don't have a Keefer or Lyman working for them.
I'm taking my refund and will apply it towards a high end restoration of an AFM. It will actually cost more than BHZA, but at least I know exactly what I'm getting.

Jpop has said time and again that anybody on the pre-order list can call or email him with any questions or concerns.
In fact, the Wednesday I arrived at Expo, Jpop was one of the first people I ran in to and I set up a time to go to his shop and check out the progress.
I showed up and Chris and Melissa from Cointaker and a couple other people were there. We spent about 4 hours there having a few beers and Pizza and got a personal tour of the place.
Basically Jpop gave us free reign to poke around all we wanted. It was definitely the Highlight of any Expo I've been to.

The build quality of the cabs and hardware are second to none. These things are built like tanks.
I also seen a brief animation on the LCD screen and was really impressed with what I saw there also.
It seems to me he's moving along nicely on these projects considering the size of his team. Will he meet the expected delivery date for BHZA? I honestly don't expect him to and I'm cool with that.

As for the code, I'm guessing that's more Ben Heck's department. Only time will tell how that turns out.

#76 7 years ago

I am not in and like nearly everything with this project........but, I would not want Ben Heck on the backglass!!!

#77 7 years ago

I love the theme, the art work, but I bailed and got my refund. But jpop told me up front it will take while, so it's not for the impatient. JJP is light years ahead and we are still at two years. I just don't want to tie up that much money with all these great games coming out.

No mechanisms, or software, there is a lot to do...a lot. However when done, I have no doubt it will look awesome and be a great investment.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It seems to me that SkitB and JPOP/HECK would be a match made in heaven if they could somehow combine their talents. JPOP/Heck are great at mechanical toys/gimmicks and playfield layout whereas the SkitB guys appear to be good programmers with some novel ruleset ideas.

Ben Heck vs. Zombies vs. Predator

Quoted from Shrub_Light:

I showed up and Chris and Melissa from Cointaker and a couple other people were there. We spent about 4 hours there having a few beers and Pizza and got a personal tour of the place.

Jpop seems to be very transparent to the investors, which is reassuring. You kind of have to be with that much initial investment in a product you won't see for a while...

#79 7 years ago

We are working hard to get the first 3 MG protos built now, then folks will see our creativity, hand drawn artwork, quality and invention for these new pinballs. Will make the MG owners happy and will give the BHZA owners a glimpse into how a custom game will look and feel.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

...I backed out at that point. I predict BHZA and MG will each have their unique high points, but that neither will have the feel and build quality of a piece of commercial equipment...

I predict you'll be wrong. I think these games will be built better than anything we've seen produced in pinball to date. I do feel uneasy about the software and programming, but am hopeful JPop understands that's by far the biggest criticism of his previous games and will make sure these are deep, well rounded games that are fun to come back to again and again no matter how good a player you are.

I also predict you'll be scrambling to add one to your collection once you see one Greg.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Synergism.

#82 7 years ago

its this simple for me.....gotta see it to believe it.Lots a great graphics/hype but no pinball machine.Sorry jpop,love ya bro,but......gotta see it to believe it.Scott

#83 7 years ago

$10k... sigh. Not that it isn't worth it, it is. If you consider what independent art goes for these days, I'd say its not far off. Just a shame that we can't mass produce these items to make them more affordable. This is the first time I've seen the Magic Girl and Ben Heck pinball machine ideas.

#84 7 years ago

I will say up front that I am in for BHZA #91 so it is clear where I stand. I missed the initial round and then contacted JPOP recently and found out that someone had dropped so they had a spot. I usually don't get involved in threads like this because no one really changes anyone's mind, but I think the thing that is being overlooked is the presence of Heck and the lack of a presence of a corporate financial structure. From listening to the Spooky Pinball Podcast, Heck seems to be really into pinball and to know the history of pinball. He has a few custom machines under his belt so he is familiar with the nuts and bolts of pinball in terms of mechanics and rule sets. He is also an incredible engineer and his build quality always looks great. If you look at the videos of him working with JPOP, they have 3-D printers and seem to be able to make just about anything they want on the spot. I have followed Heck's videogame console mods and they look amazing. The XBOX360 laptop looks incredible. I have not seen anything online complaining that what he produces does not work.

When I look at machines and what is happening now with rulesets - updates to Cactus Canyon, new Stern Codes - I think that the weakness of the rulesets of past JPOP machines would likely be cleaned up with code updates if they were to be released today. I also assume that the claimed rules weakness was likely a result of corporate compromise. It seems that the Stern model is that the machine gets shipped when it needs to be shipped and then code as it stands on that date is the code that is shipped out knowing it can be finished later. I think it was probably this way with Bally/Williams and time pressure or cost cutting likely was responsible for the weak JPOP rulesets.

Given my late number, I assume I will not see my machine until late 2013 or 2014. JPOP has been up front about this so it is not a big deal to me. I would rather he take the time to deliver something amazing as opposed to worrying about deadlines. I am not concerned about the lack of a manufacturing facility. There is no need for a huge manufacturing facility like JJP because of the limited number involved in the run. I also think the Heck team is well versed in production (even though on a smaller scale) and will be able to handle this production.

#85 7 years ago

@Rob: if you're right about the quality, you're right about your second prediction, no doubt!

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

and will give the BHZA owners a glimpse into how a custom game will look and feel.

and how long they take to build.

#87 7 years ago

Someone post the payment schedule with the amounts and dates due please, I can't find it.

#88 7 years ago

The project looks really interesting and with JPop involved I'm sure will be well done. All the cool things in the world are going to be incorporated in this pin!!! Lots of tweak able options including building the pin yourself/kit. Very appealing.

From my perspective I'm a little conservative with making the initial jump. I don’t know if I could plop down thousands of dolleroes' without seeing a playfield layout. I saw the pre-orders have already been filled and from browsing the site there hasn’t been any noticeable updates even checking back regularly. Someone posted an update here of a vid external of the main pin site http://revision3.com/tbhs/pinballreturns that looks like the project is moving along. Just a small critique would be to keep all the updates in one place for continuity.

Mike
www.HabosArcade.com

#89 7 years ago

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) these will be open source, so that if someone was creative, they could tweek the code, maybe distribute the code to other owners.

As far as graphics, it should not be too hard, someone with art skills could easily make a comic animation. I just googled go animate and there are tons of cool home made videos. It would be a cinch to make Zombie theme videos. I am not talking about High Quality Disney animation, but simple South Park type videos would do well.

My main concern would be the mechanical (build quality, code, art)...will this be low scale = Zizzle, Middle = Stern or Higher Quality = JPOP (?).

Jpop is shooting for higher quality, premium build quality higher than a current state of the art.

#90 7 years ago

I get the feeling JPOP is a bit of a perfectionist (I hope) and from the pictures I've seen, the mechanisms he is building look pretty heavy duty.

#91 7 years ago

I just got back from Chicago and my visit with John. What John is doing is out of this world stuff. I saw the 3 prototype MG's cabs sitting in his studio. He also gave me a good peek at the MG art work (lower playfield). Its out of control crazy! If you were on MG or BHZA and back out I do feel bad for you. The things he is doing with these 2 pins is next level stuff. Its going to make these new games look old and outdated. What he is doing is going to change pinball for ever. If you think his other games looked good you havent seen nothing yet. John is a Perfectionist and you can tell in his work. If I had the money right now I would Pay In Full for a MG. BHZA #19 and will wait patiently for its arrival bc it will be the day of days.

#92 7 years ago

Yup i have total confidence in the project. will it take a lot of time yes of course but all good things take time. It's a matter of trust, faith and patience. Not all people have that or are willing to give that. I would like to see a forum for owners setup sooner than later but it's still WAY early in the process. I want something unique, and game changing period. IMO this seems to be it.. As well as WOZ just a matter of what theme you prefer

CTBHZA #20

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

The things he is doing with these 2 pins is next level stuff.

That's fantastic buuuuuutt.....

Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Its going to make these new games look old and outdated. What he is doing is going to change pinball for ever.

...that's the downer. If these games are BEYOND cool, it's a shame that only a handful of people will ever experience them. Not only will the general public never see these games, most pinball enthusiasts will never see them! So - they could be INSANELY AMAZING but if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around....ya know?

I hope they're super great for those who ordered...I hope that once these things are done, they can figure out some kind of bigger mass-production plan for these titles. Sure, that'd probably piss off the early adopters, but if it's JJP style w/ a Limited and Normal edition, that would just benefit everyone in the end. Artists need an audience, and if they make a super great game, it's only beneficial to Jpop, Bheck, and everyone who likes cool games for there to be more games out there in the world.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

BHZA #19 and will wait patiently for its arrival bc it will be the day of days.

Haha. So you got mine.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...that's the downer. If these games are BEYOND cool, it's a shame that only a handful of people will ever experience them. Not only will the general public never see these games, most pinball enthusiasts will never see them! So - they could be INSANELY AMAZING but if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around....ya know?
I hope they're super great for those who ordered...I hope that once these things are done, they can figure out some kind of bigger mass-production plan for these titles. Sure, that'd probably piss off the early adopters, but if it's JJP style w/ a Limited and Normal edition, that would just benefit everyone in the end. Artists need an audience, and if they make a super great game, it's only beneficial to Jpop, Bheck, and everyone who likes cool games for there to be more games out there in the world.

Not many people get to see or drive a Ferrari but they still know they would like it if they did.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Not many people get to see or drive a Ferrari but they still know they would like it if they did.

LOL...cars are very mainstream. Pinball is a niche of a niche and most of us would like it to be more mainstream.

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not sure I'm understanding you?

Look at high end cars, art, guns etc? only a select few of the population has these but you don't say what ashame not everyone can have these. Yeah it would be nice if everyone drove a Bugatti

And your wrong so many people will enjoy these pins, have a party, invite friends over, take it to a show(yes I would but dont hold me to it haha) etc
Only diff is YOU won't have one in your basement unless you put the investment from the start..

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

yes, and not many people that drive a Ferrari ever drive a Ferrari Enzo. Does not mean Ferrari should not make them. people can read about them or watch video or maybe they will be in a show or a pinball museum (thats where I played BBB and Kingpin). Never own them either but glad they were made.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

yes, and not many people that drive a Ferrari ever drive a Ferrari Enzo. Does not mean Ferrari should not make them. people can read about them or watch video or maybe they will be in a show or a pinball museum (thats where I played BBB and Kingpin). Never own them either but glad they were made.

I think we agree so not sure about your response. If Ferarri's were cheap and mass produced they might not be so special.

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL...cars are very mainstream. Pinball is a niche of a niche and most of us would like it to be more mainstream.

you are missing the point. there is a big difference between a $25K Civic or even a $60K M3 and a car like the Ferrari 458 for example that would cost $300K. But if you are into cars even if you never do own a Ferrari you can read about it or see it around and get enjoyment from it being made more than if it was never made.

Part of the selling point with MG or BHZa very rare. Just like an expensve watch or whatever. Rarity probably makes it worth more.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 8.99
Lighting - Other
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 28.00
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 18.99
Playfield - Protection
PinShield
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 11,500.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside