• Not at all 19 votes
    11%

(180 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mellony.jpg
wnbjm02.jpg
wb_004.jpg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

Sorry, but the rule set is way to shallow. I like the humor and it looks great, but game play has to be great in order to have staying power in my collection. That being said, I am generally a fan of Dennis' work.

#52 11 years ago

Same theme, Stern platform = yes.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Seriously though, if you guys don't get that you have to keep the peace in the house, you aren't married. I have young kids and young family members and judgmental grand parents and all sorts of little rugrats running around my machines all day. If I have pins with tits falling out of them I'd have a lot more 'work' to do to keep that peace. It's simple, really. But whatever you guys judge away!
In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and find me a Sexy Girl, Miss World, and Big Dick to put in my gameroom just so I can get some pinside cred.
-Wes

I get it.

I am married with young kids and there is no chance I would have this game in my home.

#54 11 years ago

Love it! I'm in!

#55 11 years ago

I spoke to Dennis Nordman at last year's Ohio show and he told me he was surprised at how much women hate the theme of this game because they all love Scared Stiff (which is true -- every gf I've had loved that game). Anyway, I think the difference is that in SS, Elvira is the source of the sexual humor and plays the vamp role -- women can appreciate that and I bet most have some inner vamp. Elvira is in control and leads the humor. In Whoa Nellie, it's objectification of women and body parts. That they don't like (and why would they). My theory, anyway, and maybe one of the five women who post here can comment.

Dennis is a great guy and if you see him at a show, definitely catch up with him. I was sorry to see him leave JJP.

Gameplay was very EM-like (slow) and not my cup of tea.

Ps. Can the guy who said divorce is easy actually be divorced? Not easy, friend. Common but not easy.

#56 11 years ago

I wouldn't buy it. I hate gobble holes. Big mistake putting one of those in there IMHO.
I'd rather add another classic EM to the collection.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I know.
I like how all these guys married women who lack any self confidence.
"You can't have CFTBL because there is a cartoon woman in a one piece"
"OK, honey. Here are my balls"

she already has my balls. I figure what else can she take. I get what I want. I don't ask.

#58 11 years ago

i'd consider it, actually, since i'm fond of caricature art in general...

playing like an em would be considered a positive by me, but i realize i'm in a very small minority in the pinside community there...

priced correctly, it would likely sell... there's a big world out there beyond the very small community of people who sell/buy a-list dmd titles to/from each other (and the somewhat larger, yet still small group who wish they could join the "in-crowd")...

#59 11 years ago

At PAGG last year, there was a Whoa Nellie, and apart from the artwork, which I love, there wasn't much there. The design screams call outs, but being an EM there isn't any. It didn't help that the game had the weakest flippers at the show too. I played once but after the first ball, I was thinking of what I should play next.

#60 11 years ago

Stern Cantaloupe or Watermelon LE?

I'll take the Cantaloupe!

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from Slaymetender:

It didn't help that the game had the weakest flippers at the show too.

It played like an EM when i played it.

#62 11 years ago

My self-confidence is perfectly fine, but given the fantastic array of theme choices out there, no... my interests do not lie in goofy innuendo. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Dude, I get it, I'm already getting a divorce based on what DrStarkFeather and Vid1984 said. Lay off, man.

Seriously though, if you guys don't get that you have to keep the peace in the house, you aren't married. I have young kids and young family members and judgmental grand parents and all sorts of little rugrats running around my machines all day. If I have pins with tits falling out of them I'd have a lot more 'work' to do to keep that peace. It's simple, really. But whatever you guys judge away!

In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and find me a Sexy Girl, Miss World, and Big Dick to put in my gameroom just so I can get some pinside cred.

-Wes

Dont think i was singling you out. I am married. Part of the reason my wife loves me and many other people do is i dont give a shit. If i offend i will ramp it up to offend more.
Now onto tits boobs knockers and hooters.

Women who tell there husbands they cant own wh20 because of the girl on bg are weak shallow low self esteemed women. If they cant take a little t/a on a game then THEY need to seek counseling for there issues.

Not saying any of this applies to you just in general. I am so glad my wife can say ben ben ben look at those girls legs arent they hot when i am in public.

#64 11 years ago

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

For the record, for me at least, it's less the images and more the humor I find inappropriate for my six year-old daughter. My wife wouldn't be offended at all. We already own Creech.

Same here, putting something like this on display in my house sends a wrong message to my young daughters. Plus I find this kind of mindless objectifying pretty tacky and tasteless.

And I own a paragon and Earthshaker; compare that to say Strikes and spares. The former have possibly hot well endowed women doing whatever, the latter is about drooling at a clueless bunny like a slack jawed yokel.

If you can't see a difference, then that is on you.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Dont think i was singling you out. I am married. Part of the reason my wife loves me and many other people do is i dont give a shit. If i offend i will ramp it up to offend more.
Now onto tits boobs knockers and hooters.
Women who tell there husbands they cant own wh20 because of the girl on bg are weak shallow low self esteemed women. If they cant take a little t/a on a game then THEY need to seek counseling for there issues.
Not saying any of this applies to you just in general. I am so glad my wife can say ben ben ben look at those girls legs arent they hot when i am in public.

You sound like a real joy to be around. Time to ramp it up!

If you can't see the difference in sexual content between Whitewater (basically nil) and Whoa Nellie (mindless objectification of a freaking cartoon), I am surprised you can type as well as you do...

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Part of the reason my wife loves me and many other people do

I love you because you are a great cook Ben. Not for your boobs.

LTG : )

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

If you can't see the difference in sexual content between Whitewater (basically nil) and Whoa Nellie (mindless objectification of a freaking cartoon), I am surprised you can type as well as you do...

I only mention that because recently a fella was not ALLOWED to bring a wh20 into the house because of the girl on the raft. Its one thing if you dont want to portray that image onto a child. Its another when a wife gets upset because of a painting or art.

I have had the title man whore in my younger days so i feel qualified to say that the hot ones are always the crazy insecure low self esteem ones.

Quoted from LTG:

I love you because you are a great cook Ben. Not for your boobs.

lol

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Women who tell there husbands they cant own wh20 because of the girl on bg, are weak, low self esteemed women.

True words, my brother.

-

Part of the "problem" is simply the wives are American.

Whenever I'm in the UK, the daily newspaper features a "Page Three" topless woman. Yep, a naturally breasted, healthy woman, without a top, in the daily newspaper. Kids see her, grandma sees her, Father Mcmaster sees her. It's nice.

This would probably have American women rioting in the streets.

#70 11 years ago

That gobble hole is a wicked pisser. Just wanted to type that. Carry on...

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from Shadow:

My theory, anyway, and maybe one of the five women who post here can comment.

Well, if my wife would comment, maybe we could have SIX here... paging Quiddity....

#72 11 years ago

Nope!

#73 11 years ago

I played Whoa Nellie at Expo. I'd sooner put it in my home office (where my Celtics pin is located) than my game room. Nice to look at--work of art (yes, I said ART--it is a gorgeous machine; the T&A theme does nothing to detract from that--it's just silly and is supposed to be), but not much of a player. It's a novelty item for guys that don't mind spending big bucks on novelty items.

#74 11 years ago

A quick note about the gameplay and specifically the gobble hole. Remember that this game is converted from a continental cafe. The 1st nellie had the wiring harness pulled directly from a c.c. and tranplanted into the "prototype". The gameplay is all done with the switches and "rules" that existed on continental cafe. Ive personally never played a continental cafe, but it seems to have a pretty poor rating. Dennis and Greg changed the playfield layout to incorporate more modern inlanes and flipper position and completely changed the game. Long story longer, the rules are only as complex as a continental cafe would allow them to be. C. Cafe had a gobble hole so Nellie got a gobble hole etc.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Well, if my wife would comment, maybe we could have SIX here... paging Quiddity....

I think it's both beautiful and hilarious. I don't think that we have the room for it as there are a plethora of machines in line ahead of it. I'd love to have the backglass on the wall. I think it's sad that her face is rather creepy, I get the irony but the art package truly is art. Just have her mouth a little more natural instead of the stuck-in-place-by-botox look. She doesn't look happy to be standing there - which isn't fair.

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Not married, but I imagine if she can read 50 Shades of Gray, I can have cartoon bikini girls on a pinball game.

TROOF!!

#77 11 years ago

I'd like to see it as a "regular" new style pinball. New model with LCD display. Cool theme and art work. Great job Dennis and Greg!

#78 11 years ago

The art package might be really nicely done and with some humor, but layout looks flat and boring to me. Not my personal style of gameplay, I could never get into the EMs, but to some it may be there.

However, those used to playing and collecting EMs aren't going to be in at any NIB price that would make this worth it. You can score so many EMs for well under $1,000 all day. Tons in the 2-300$ range on craigslist constantly. I think it'd be hard to get a lot sold over 2k personally.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

I think it's both beautiful and hilarious. I don't think that we have the room for it as there are a plethora of machines in line ahead of it. I'd love to have the backglass on the wall. I think it's sad that her face is rather creepy, I get the irony but the art package truly is art. Just have her mouth a little more natural instead of the stuck-in-place-by-botox look. She doesn't look happy to be standing there - which isn't fair.

Great... I never noticed that before, now what has been seen cannot be unseen.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I think it'd be hard to get a lot sold over 2k personally.

Probably why Dennis only planned on making a few to sell.

If Stern does it, I don't see them messing with it for any less than their recent games.

And it would likely be solid state too, SAM system.

#81 11 years ago

Well might make a nice test game - make 1000 of them for I duno say $1200-1500 ea and see if they sell,
It would be a 1st generation solid state low tech but hopefully bullet proof for the coin op. industry- what the hell try it and see what happens

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Well might make a nice test game - make 1000 of them for I duno say $1200-1500 ea and see if they sell,

I doubt if it could be sold for less than "The Pin" can be sold for.

#83 11 years ago

I'm in, I love the art and novelty.

#84 11 years ago

I appreciate the fact that someone took the time to make the machine, however for something with game play as basic as this I would rather have a old em like spiderman.

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I appreciate the fact that someone took the time to make the machine, however for something with game play as basic as this I would rather have a old em like spiderman.

That is what is so great about pinball; there is something for everybody.

I think the gameplay is much better than Spiderman:

http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/amazing-spiderman/

#86 11 years ago

I can't compare the two as I have never played them. I was just giving an example from something I would like to see in my line up. Strictly from something everyone would look at that doesnt know pin that would be interested to play.

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I appreciate the fact that someone took the time to make the machine

I completely agree with this sentiment. I am thrilled they made the game. I love indie pinball machines, and if I could have a Nemo or Predator in the house, I would.

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Same theme, Stern platform = yes.

Yeah, I'd be interested if it was reworked into a modern pin with music, voices, ramps, the usual...jiggly melon toys or something. A really fun/funny audio package would tie the whole project together nicely, IMO.

#89 11 years ago

Yeah, I'd be interested if it was reworked into a modern pin with music, voices, ramps, the usual...jiggly melon toys or something. A really fun/funny audio package would tie the whole project together nicely, IMO.

Sure, it could be adapted to different cultures, too.

mellony.jpgmellony.jpg

#90 11 years ago

That has GOT to feel weird.

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

That has GOT to feel weird.

Move the melons and I'll tell you.

#92 11 years ago

You are bad Mr. G!

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Probably why Dennis only planned on making a few to sell.
If Stern does it, I don't see them messing with it for any less than their recent games.
And it would likely be solid state too, SAM system.

Yes, if Stern does it, it would be solid state and cool!

#94 11 years ago

This has me curious, is there a market for a pinball company to make simpler and cheaper games these days? Why can't someone make some pins more in style with the 80s and early 90s style of game. Less fancy toys and presumably cheaper to make and sell? If they make them with good humour and tongue in cheek themes would people buy these? Look at diner and taxi, their simple games but everyone still loves playing them.

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

This has me curious, is there a market for a pinball company to make simpler and cheaper games these days? Why can't someone make some pins more in style with the 80s and early 90s style of game. Less fancy toys and presumably cheaper to make and sell? If they make them with good humour and tongue in cheek themes would people buy these? Look at diner and taxi, their simple games but everyone still loves playing them.

Trouble you always run into is you can't do it for 1980's prices.

So do you make a simple pin for $4 to $5 K, or like Stern a Pro version for $5500 ?

Look at Sterns home version Transformers, you really want to spend $3K on that ?

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Trouble you always run into is you can't do it for 1980's prices.
So do you make a simple pin for $4 to $5 K, or like Stern a Pro version for $5500 ?
Look at Sterns home version Transformers, you really want to spend $3K on that ?

Yeah I was thinking is it possible though to make a simpler pin that only comes in at around 2500-3000. "the pin" still has some high tech and modern parts in it doesn't it? If it's fun but lacks the modern toys I imagine people would still buy it. Maybe I'm way off on the production cost of even a simpler pin though.

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

This has me curious, is there a market for a pinball company to make simpler and cheaper games these days?

Like you've seen at Costco, "The Pin" costs $2500.

If you feel that is a good, simpler version of Transformers, then The Pin might be a good choice for you.

The manager at Costco said they have sold 9 of The Pin at his location.

Hard to say if this is average or not but 600 Costcos x 9 pins sold = 5,400 sold. That would be a BIG run of games by today's standards. Even half of that number would be a really decent run...

#98 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Like you've seen at Costco, "The Pin" costs $2500.
If you feel that is a good, simpler version of Transformers, then The Pin might be a good choice for you.
The manager at Costco said they have sold 9 of The Pin at his location.
Hard to say if this is average or not but 600 Costcos x 9 pins sold = 5,400 sold. That would be a BIG run of games by today's standards. Even half of that number would be a really decent run...

For Stern's sake and the sake of pinball (getting new people into the hobby) I sure hope those numbers are 50% correct. That would be great for the hobby as that is effectively an entry level introduction machine. It plays great too, I like the pin.

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

This has me curious, is there a market for a pinball company to make simpler and cheaper games these days? Why can't someone make some pins more in style with the 80s and early 90s style of game.

They did this already. IM, Avatar, BBH, Tron.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-would-buy-a-whoa-nellie-if-it-was-made-in-large-numbers/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.