Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16728197997184062886195616183443 (resized).jpg
    16728197201954962703868468254571 (resized).jpg
    71059185-42A4-491F-A5F5-F2AAF904445A (resized).png
    F8125439-4BBB-49AB-B989-818724ABFBD5 (resized).jpeg
    !Playfield (resized).JPG
    boop.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    20211120_032509 (resized).jpg
    Bot (resized).png
    zomgtwipys (resized).png
    image001 (resized).png
    IMG-20210909-WA0021 (resized).jpeg
    20220130_182439 (resized).jpg
    20220210_115923 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3106 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3107 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 2 years ago

This actually has nothing to do with any amount of work put into a game at all. It has to do with the term "HOMEBREW". In my opinion, this is NOT a homebrew, it's simply a "retheme" or a "hack" of an already designed game. Can a hack/retheme be amazing? Certainly it can be! Remember the Trilogy Brewing Co machine?

In this case, it is an amazing example of a re-theme or hack. It does not have an original layout. Nothing wrong with that... just not a homebrew in the "I started from scratch" traditional definition of the word. For me personally, the "new layout" of a homebrew is just as important as a theme. It's 50% of the adventure.

Refering to the recording industry... you're "breaking up the Sampling so hard it's now an original work"...? That might be valid here but, it's a stretch. Let's not also forget, "imitation is the greatest form of flattery". We're all here to discuss pinball, not to bash anyone's hard work.

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I like this idea - it recognizes more people's hard work at the least. I have to admit though - the preservationist in me sometimes winces when pins are rethemed (not like seeing a pinball coffee table though...)

Yes! This exactly.

Nothing is perfect. I actually don't like the fact that once you reveal a game, that's the only chance you get to be recognized, even if it's not a 100% complete/finished product. Part of the fun of showing off your home brew work is getting positive and negative feedback and retooling your design. If a TWIPY is awarded only based on a game's "first reveal", it kind of misses the mark in my humble opinion. I do realize there's no perfect way to do this.

People wlll always vote for their "favorite" and it may not be the best design... My favorite homebrew ever was Bill Paxton... and it's not because it was a great playing game.

TWIPYS are fun but.... maybe there should be a hidden Pinside homebrew category where you would need to register then scan a QR code to prove you actually played (or observed) the game in order to rate/review it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-won-the-twipy-award-for-home-brew?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.