Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16728197997184062886195616183443 (resized).jpg
    16728197201954962703868468254571 (resized).jpg
    71059185-42A4-491F-A5F5-F2AAF904445A (resized).png
    F8125439-4BBB-49AB-B989-818724ABFBD5 (resized).jpeg
    !Playfield (resized).JPG
    boop.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    20211120_032509 (resized).jpg
    Bot (resized).png
    zomgtwipys (resized).png
    image001 (resized).png
    IMG-20210909-WA0021 (resized).jpeg
    20220130_182439 (resized).jpg
    20220210_115923 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3106 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3107 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#141 1 year ago

Played Elf at TPF… and the others. Loved Elf. Was a true homebrew. elsereturn did it right. I hope my own homebrew gets as high off the ground as his has so far. I would be happy to get a machine to 75% of what he’s accomplished to date. He had a lot of out of the box thinking because he had no box until comparatively recently. The fresh take on things was interesting and fun to flip. It did have flow and it got even faster as you learned the combo shots that keep the ball moving.

8 months later
    #180 1 year ago

Homebrew is what has reinvigorated pinball… it all started with an Archer pin in Keith’s basement… at least that’s the latest version in the myths of pinball. I love seeing homebrews at shows, especially ones that try things that are non-standard by the mainstream manufacturers standards. My absolute dream machine design should be able to place a ball in play at any orbit/lane/shot/kicker/scoop or ramp. Flow can be generated without stop and go if you know what you are doing. I am waiting for that homebrew machine that actually puts mainstream pinball on the backs of their feet, wondering how the designer did it with the exact same coil count as a Stern or JJP or <insert company name here> machine.

4 weeks later
    #186 1 year ago

My definition of “homebrew” falls into a single concept- is this the brain child of one man, or multiple people? From the stand point of manufacturers, the “design team” are all listed on the playfield (sometimes), yet we all consider Twilight Zone the brain child of Pat Lawlor. Now I am sure Pat had a hand in pushing forth the theme and the design, but clearly a LOT more people are involved, including the actual construction of the mechanisms, toys, artwork, music, software, light shows, sound effects, call outs, animations, etc… not to mention all the engineering to develope the underlying platform. A true homebrew puts the “hat” of all of these on one person, however, if some of these “hats” require knowledge that the home brewer does not possess , would I kick them out of bed for eating crackers and “contracting it out” to additional people?
    I don’t think I would. Now, however, if the basis of this “contracted out” is a lot of “borrowing” from the existing IP of a mainstream title, does this affect my consideration? If asked to judge between a retheme and a completely original design, a mediocre “homebrew” original will win my vote quicker than a slick artwork and cabinet refurbishment, because the breadth of the challenge to wear that many hats and pull it off is something only really gifted and dedicated pinball enthusiasts can do.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-won-the-twipy-award-for-home-brew?tu=Bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.