Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16728197997184062886195616183443 (resized).jpg
    16728197201954962703868468254571 (resized).jpg
    71059185-42A4-491F-A5F5-F2AAF904445A (resized).png
    F8125439-4BBB-49AB-B989-818724ABFBD5 (resized).jpeg
    !Playfield (resized).JPG
    boop.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    20211120_032509 (resized).jpg
    Bot (resized).png
    zomgtwipys (resized).png
    image001 (resized).png
    IMG-20210909-WA0021 (resized).jpeg
    20220130_182439 (resized).jpg
    20220210_115923 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3106 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3107 (resized).jpg
    There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 2 years ago

Not much chatter about the home brew winner.

Who won this category ?

#2 2 years ago

the people who rethemed a mustang into Ferris Bueller. not entirely a homebrew

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for quick response.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aphex:

That is a flipping tragedy. I saw it at Pintastic, wasn't impressed.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aphex:

All new art, sculpts, and they redid the sounds and dots. It’s not entirely original, but I’d say they did enough to make it “homebrew”

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

All new art, sculpts, and they redid the sounds and dots. It’s not entirely original, but I’d say they did enough to make it “homebrew”

Looking at the homebrew list I sort of see the issue, not a strong field this year.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Looking at the homebrew list I sort of see the issue, not a strong field this year.

Did you see Elf? I played it at TPF and it had great flow.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Did you see Elf? I played it at TPF and it had great flow.

I dont think it was nominated.

#9 2 years ago

Not saying rethemeing a game doesn't take talent and hard work because thats where I struggle is art wise with my games, but an actual homebrew built from scratch with thought going into layout design, circuit designs, making things work ect. isn't comparable to a retheme.

Should be separate categories. Just my 2c

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Not saying rethemeing a game doesn't take talent and hard work because thats where I struggle is art wise, but an actual homebrew built from scratch with thought going into layout design, circuit designs, making things work ect. isn't comparable to a retheme.
    Should be separate categories. Just my 2c

Agreed. Re-theme should be its own category. FBDO is a GREAT re-theme, but it doesn't deserve homebrew.

#11 2 years ago

I don't think there's enough rethemes or all original games to really divide them up. And then it gets complicated with what do you want to classify something like Dukes of Hazard. It's a Paragon retheme, but with new mechs and software. It becomes a Ship of Theseus issue

To me what pushes it over the retheme-homebrew line in the sand is that they redid the dots and sounds. So if you had never seen a Mustang before, you honestly wouldn't have a clue it was a retheme. I don't care if they didn't design the circuits, because that's not what makes a game fun (though it can be fun for the homebrewer to work on)

Regardless, the homebrew category is always a tough one. Different types of projects, wildly different states of completion, limited exposure to people voting, etc...

#12 2 years ago

I own one of the 2 Ferris Bueller pins (The other is owned by Brian Soares of Gameroom Pinball who built and coded the pin and also is a Pinside member).

At the TWIPY's Jack Danger basically said what TreyBo69 posted above. They purposely combined the categories because the lines are blurred between whats custom/retheme/homebrew.

Here are pics of FBDO. It took close to 2 years from concept to completion and has 100% custom dots, sound, artwork, plastics, sculpts, callouts, modes, armor, translite, etc. Brian added some sounds where none were triggered and redesigned some items above and below the playfield. Even the start button was re done into the Bueller Home intercom panel.

65187385460__939CCE9E-7133-4FB1-8CAC-02BE755911A1 (resized).jpg65187385460__939CCE9E-7133-4FB1-8CAC-02BE755911A1 (resized).jpgIMG_3106 (resized).jpgIMG_3106 (resized).jpgIMG_3107 (resized).jpgIMG_3107 (resized).jpgIMG_3108 (resized).jpgIMG_3108 (resized).jpgIMG_3109 (resized).jpgIMG_3109 (resized).jpg
    #13 2 years ago

That's a great looking re-theme. Well done!

#14 2 years ago

They should have made this...nine times... I want one

#15 2 years ago

I am still wow'd everytime I see Sonic Spinball. That is one heck of a homebrew. Wish he could add artwork like FBDO, but in understand why he chose not to, and the hand drawn doodles add a sense of charm to it.

#16 2 years ago

Wow, that is a great retheme well done to all involved.
    Amazing job ....

I was going to enter Jaws this year but due to no retheme category, and after being shafted a bit with Mad Max last year I decided not to. They didn't put up the nicer pictures and full details last time around and so felt like I was just a "filler". Steamboat Willy was fantastic imo. Extremely well executed.

I'm doing another retheme this year, maybe next time around ...

Anyway here is my post event submission.

20220130_182439 (resized).jpg20220130_182439 (resized).jpg20220210_115923 (resized).jpg20220210_115923 (resized).jpgIMG-20210909-WA0021 (resized).jpegIMG-20210909-WA0021 (resized).jpegimage001 (resized).pngimage001 (resized).png
    #17 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I am still wow'd everytime I see Sonic Spinball. That is one heck of a homebrew. Wish he could add artwork like FBDO, but in understand why he chose not to, and the hand drawn doodles add a sense of charm to it.

Probably why he won best homebrew last year...

I do like they changed the category to it can only be entered once and it's up to the creator(s) to choose when or if they want to participate in the contest. I think that's a good rule for the people who want to take the award seriously and helps deal with the issue of homebrew projects being in differing states of completion

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Probably why he won best homebrew last year...
    I do like they changed the category to it can only be entered once and it's up to the creator(s) to choose when or if they want to participate in the contest. I think that's a good rule for the people who want to take the award seriously and helps deal with the issue of homebrew projects being in differing states of completion

Good for him. I dont keep up with TWIPYs....so....yep!

#19 2 years ago

Ferris sure looks like mustang to me! IMO combining retheme and from-scratch homebrew is like judging between Andy Warhol and Monet. Sure, they’re both art. But they really have nothing in common. From my view, if it doesn’t involve cutting a playfield with new geometry is not an original pin. Don’t get me wrong, Ferris Bueller and Billy Madison are beautiful machines and they deserve accolades but judging them against the homebrews in this year’s collection is a weird. Regarding Elf, last week was its first showing. Bob can enter for next year and I hope it does. I played the heck out of it and it’s a great machine: geometry, rules, craftsmanship, assets, it’s the real deal. I hope it wins next year.

#20 2 years ago

Another thing that would help the category, would be to require a short video of gameplay which people could view on the this week in pinball site. That would allow people to make a better comparison between machines. Two static pictures doesn’t do any of the entries justice

#21 2 years ago

By the way, here are the results

zomgtwipys (resized).pngzomgtwipys (resized).png
    #22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Another thing that would help the category, would be to require a short video of gameplay which people could view on the this week in pinball site. That would allow people to make a better comparison between machines. Two static pictures doesn’t do any of the entries justice

Enjoyed Greek God's a Bunch at expo last Oct!
    Nice game and work.

#23 2 years ago

42%? Really? Was there a massive online campaign that I missed?

#24 2 years ago

It's a theme hobby. Children of the '80s have hit peak nostalgia age. See also: people offering Stern first-born children for a new Back to the Future game.

#25 2 years ago

Thanks Eric! I hope to take it again next year. Made a ton of changes in the last three months getting it ready for another show. It’s a substantially better game now compared to then.

#26 2 years ago

Who doesn’t like Ferris Bueller’s Day off? Can’t argue with that choice of theme. 42%. Huh.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Ferris sure looks like mustang to me! IMO combining retheme and from-scratch homebrew is like judging between Andy Warhol and Monet. Sure, they’re both art. But they really have nothing in common. From my view, if it doesn’t involve cutting a playfield with new geometry is not an original pin. Don’t get me wrong, Ferris Bueller and Billy Madison are beautiful machines and they deserve accolades but judging them against the homebrews in this year’s collection is a weird. Regarding Elf, last week was its first showing. Bob can enter for next year and I hope it does. I played the heck out of it and it’s a great machine: geometry, rules, craftsmanship, assets, it’s the real deal. I hope it wins next year.

There is a fundamental difference between homebrew and re-theme. One is a pin from scratch, the other a make over of an existing layout.

FBDO is a fine re-theme and shows a lot of effort but not the same as a "homebrew"

#28 2 years ago

Ferris Bueller looks so freaking good. I'm so amazed by it. Congrats to Brian, Robert & Reba. Very well done, folks. Hats off to you. Mojosan - Hit me up if you are ever in Indianapolis. Drinks are on me.

Bob's Elf machine was so good. I'm told we barely eeked him out in points for best custom 1st place at TPF. He is absolutely going to wipe the floor with all of us at this year's Expo when he rolls in there with it finished. No shame losing to Elf. I'm preparing for it. Plus, Bob has to be one of the nicest guys I met all weekend. I'm a fan.

Agree, hard to compare re-themes with homebrews, but split them up and there are 2-3 (maybe) in each category each year. Which is better? I don't know. Want to get nuts? Require a minimum number of plays to qualify for an award. Billy Madison took a BEATING at TPF and just kept going, and I wonder how many true customs could do that? "BuT tHaTs bEcUz yOuRs wAs mAdE bY BaLLy!!!!". Yea yea. You get my point, Comicbook Guy.

Fortunately we don't do this for awards. We do this to connect with people over a common passion and make new friends. I met people who were Billy Madison freaks and casual pinball fans. I met people who were pinball freaks and casual Billy Madison fans. My favorite were the people who were freaks for both. I'm actually part of the first group which is why all of this is highly amusing to me.

I'll add, we've been approached about taking our custom soundboard to market since it can work with any Bally machine. So maybe something positive can come to the hobby for putting up with re-theming knuckleheds like us. LOL

O'Doyle Rules!

Carry on.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Known theme.

Redo yours as Clash of the Titans and your percentages would triple, just because of familiarity

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from BW78:

Bob's Elf machine was so good. I'm told we barely eeked him out in points for best custom 1st place at TPF. He is absolutely going to wipe the floor with all of us at this year's Expo when he rolls in there with it finished. No shame losing to Elf. I'm preparing for it. Plus, Bob has to be one of the nicest guys I met all weekend. I'm a fan.

I played both your game and Bob's and I do have to say I was surprised that Elf didn't take it. But like you say your game stayed up all weekend, which is more than I could say for a lot of games throughout a lot of the categories. That, and Billy Madison looks and sounds incredible.

Ultimately I would have sided with Elf just from the sheer scale of everything and originality and am looking forward to hopefully seeing it again if Bob chooses to bring it back next year.

Quoted from BW78:

I'll add, we've been approached about taking our custom soundboard to market since it can work with any Bally machine. So maybe something positive can come to the hobby for putting up with re-theming knuckleheds like us. LOL

Definitely looking forward to news on this! Congrats on the win.

#31 2 years ago

PinMonk Or maybe this one!

Bot (resized).pngBot (resized).png
    #32 2 years ago

Is their video of Elf anywhere?

#33 2 years ago

I'm shocked that nobody in here has mentioned the second place winner, Cuphead! Great theme, combined EM gameplay with modern video, and was *actually a homebrew*.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wylte:

I'm shocked that nobody in here has mentioned the second place winner, Cuphead! Great theme, combined EM gameplay with modern video, and was *actually a homebrew*.

That is pretty awesome!

#35 2 years ago

very nice work...love it

#36 2 years ago

Surprised that Cuphead did not do better in the judging and voting. In my humble opinion it matches much closer to what I would consider a "Homebrew" to be.

It has a built from scratch playfield, new cobrapin board, custom software, interesting graphics, and it's fun to play (Yes I have the virtual pinball version).

FBDO is a great theme and good looking machine but ...

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

Surprised that Cuphead did not do better in the judging and voting. In my humble opinion it matches much closer to what I would consider a "Homebrew" to be.
    It has a built from scratch playfield, new cobrapin board, custom software, interesting graphics, and it's fun to play (Yes I have the virtual pinball version).
    FBDO is a great theme and good looking machine but ...

I love how it has a very distinct Gottlieb flavor but makes great use of electronic effects. I noticed the spinner with dice animation, autoshooter? and color change in the lighting when a ball was locked, just a great effort all around. I'd be happy to play this at a show!

#38 2 years ago

CupHead is the real deal. I hope I get to play it at a show. It's been fun to read about its development and see the software side come together.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Yes. She's married to a WWF wrestler, they stream on Twitch and usually pull over 100 viewers.

It's just a popularity contest. Bud Light is the most popular beer but that doesn't mean it's the best.

20211120_032509 (resized).jpg20211120_032509 (resized).jpg
    #40 2 years ago

Cool. Thank you for the context.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Is there video of Elf anywhere?

I would love to see video of Elf as well. I searched the Homebrew subforum, the whole forum, the machines tab, and then did a youtube search, and I'm not seeing anything. Anyone have a link?

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

Yes. She's married to a WWF wrestler, they stream on Twitch and usually pull over 100 viewers.
    It's just a popularity contest. Bud Light is the most popular beer but that doesn't mean it's the best.[quoted image]

I really hesitated getting involved in this discussion, but I truly dislike the slander that takes place on pinside constantly. It is the primary reason why I rarely post. First off, I just want to say EVERYONE in the "home brew" category did a terrific job. I truly appreciate each design. Billy Madison and Cup Head are great games.

Yes, Reby is married to a famous pro wrestler so what? The woman is extremely talented in her own right in many areas. She didn't promote this game for TWIPY awards. No one outside of the pinball world knows what this is anyway. I'm sure she mentioned the game in August after the TWIP article and then in November we streamed once, but that's about it.

For those that don't know me, I've made about 100 re-themed games to date from basic changes, to adding sound to changing all the game code using pinball browser (minus changing the rules). This includes Expedition Of Gold for Reby's husband a few years back which also drew a lot of interest. My background is in engineering so I do understand why true programmers would be upset, but there was well over 1000 hours into this game between us, so it wasn't a simple decal swap or vinyl wrap. This game was shown at Pintastic New England last year and during that show we had about a dozen interviews, taping for an upcoming TV show, took photos with the game so yes most people really liked it. I'm guessing it was related to the theme, great music and quotes. So many people thought it was next up from Stern. On top of that Bowen Kerins taped gameplay for PAPA.

Now to be fair, if you're going to share shitty zoomed in game images, why don't you at least show the how it actually looks and all the customized features.
    Hopefully some of you will appreciate our work.
    https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/revealed-ferris-buellers-day-off-pinball-by-brian-soares-and-reby-hardy-interviews-pics-and-more/

#43 2 years ago

I'm sure This Week in Pinball, (who runs the TWIPS) did a feature article on everyone in the homebrew category right?

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from donkeytilt:

I'm sure This Week in Pinball, (who runs the TWIPS) did a feature article on everyone in the homebrew category right?

I guess you could ask him

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

I would love to see video of Elf as well. I searched the Homebrew subforum, the whole forum, the machines tab, and then did a youtube search, and I'm not seeing anything. Anyone have a link?

This game was great! I spoke to the builder for over 30 mins. Very impressed!!

#46 2 years ago

Would love to play Cuphead!

#47 2 years ago

This actually has nothing to do with any amount of work put into a game at all. It has to do with the term "HOMEBREW". In my opinion, this is NOT a homebrew, it's simply a "retheme" or a "hack" of an already designed game. Can a hack/retheme be amazing? Certainly it can be! Remember the Trilogy Brewing Co machine?

In this case, it is an amazing example of a re-theme or hack. It does not have an original layout. Nothing wrong with that... just not a homebrew in the "I started from scratch" traditional definition of the word. For me personally, the "new layout" of a homebrew is just as important as a theme. It's 50% of the adventure.

Refering to the recording industry... you're "breaking up the Sampling so hard it's now an original work"...? That might be valid here but, it's a stretch. Let's not also forget, "imitation is the greatest form of flattery". We're all here to discuss pinball, not to bash anyone's hard work.

#48 2 years ago

Exposure to the great and unique features of each of the machines was minimal in the voting section. I don’t want to disparage anyone’s thousand plus hours of work. Any rethene or from-scratch homebrew is a labor of love and Herculean effort of perseverance. But, I think there are ways to make this category more interesting for the pinball community and leave the creators with a greater sense of fairness. Constructive criticism. 1. Strongly consider splitting the retheme and from-scratch homebrew machines. 2. Have a standard format to present the homebrew machines. I would suggest four photographs, whole playfield, whole machine and two pics that focus on special features. 3. Have a standard length text to accompany the photographs. 4. Include a YouTube length of gameplay five minutes or less. Doing these things would let the voting members of the community really dig in and look at the machines closely if they choose to. This would dissuade criticism of one machine having an advantage due to a larger social media presence.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I don't think there's enough rethemes or all original games to really divide them up. And then it gets complicated with what do you want to classify something like Dukes of Hazard. It's a Paragon retheme, but with new mechs and software. It becomes a Ship of Theseus issue
    To me what pushes it over the retheme-homebrew line in the sand is that they redid the dots and sounds. So if you had never seen a Mustang before, you honestly wouldn't have a clue it was a retheme. I don't care if they didn't design the circuits, because that's not what makes a game fun (though it can be fun for the homebrewer to work on)
    Regardless, the homebrew category is always a tough one. Different types of projects, wildly different states of completion, limited exposure to people voting, etc...

Like the original Rush homebrews: it's based on Getaway but a new upper playfield and all new art, dots, sound. But not built from scratch like Mad Max or Undertale etc, but definitely qualifies.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Exposure to the great and unique features of each of the machines was minimal in the voting section. I don’t want to disparage anyone’s thousand plus hours of work. Any rethene or from-scratch homebrew is a labor of love and Herculean effort of perseverance. But, I think there are ways to make this category more interesting for the pinball community and leave the creators with a greater sense of fairness. Constructive criticism. 1. Strongly consider splitting the retheme and from-scratch homebrew machines. 2. Have a standard format to present the homebrew machines. I would suggest four photographs, whole playfield, whole machine and two pics that focus on special features. 3. Have a standard length text to accompany the photographs. 4. Include a YouTube length of gameplay five minutes or less. Doing these things would let the voting members of the community really dig in and look at the machines closely if they choose to. This would dissuade criticism of one machine having an advantage due to a larger social media presence.

I totally agree. Very valid points and I like your suggestion. I guess it's a matter of recommending it the TWIPY committee for future years. I've felt the criticism of my re-themes in the past and I can understand from the standpoint of making it from scratch. The work all of you have done isn't lost on me

There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-won-the-twipy-award-for-home-brew?hl=bw78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.