(Topic ID: 284890)

Who will the new American Pinball designer be?

By westofrome

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who will the new American Pinball designer be?”

• Dennis Nordman 71 votes
      55%
    • Ryan McQuaid 10 votes
      8%
    • Mark Ritchie 18 votes
      14%
    • Someone else 29 votes
      23%

(128 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

original-design (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    4sjh2n (resized).jpg
    Dennis-Nordman-collegecab (resized).jpg
    C1A62CF6-273F-4F64-BE1D-93369C515A40 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Kind of a huge distinction. One just creates code on a platform, one creates the platform, how it will function, the future etc. the roles are very different some businesses may mix them but when mixed the inexperienced software programmer is a bad fit to create... we have dealt with many software and hardware projects with these issues.

These are all semantics. Depends where you work. The role you describe as creating the platform, how it will function, etc, is called in my company the “Architect”. That’s my role. The developers implement the design. Sometimes it’s called the “lead developer”

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from wrb1977:

Maybe it’s a secret? Anyone want to share? Joe Balcer

He may not be going anywhere, maybe they're just transitioning roles a bit. He's done 3 games for them, he could use a break and more time to work on another title. They are also doing redemption games, so he may be assisting there as well.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I enjoy games where every shot is rewarded. EHOH and IMDN are like that. Even if I miss, I build towards something.
    Houdini is like that, too. There are tons of modes, movies, missions, jail escapes, multiballs, magic shop stuff, etc. to shoot. I have zero complaints with code, and I enjoy the animations as well.
    Oktoberfest seems to be cut from the same cloth, and it’s on my wishlist after owning Houdini. I’m pretty sure I’ll have one soon. Build quality is great, code is great, and the team accepts criticisms with an open mind.
    As I mentioned previously, I think the team could benefit from a more traditional layout from a new designer, but code-wise, you guys are crushing it.

Hard to disagree - Houdini and OKT AND HW are deep enough, lots of variety and multiple paths to the end goal. The latest Houdini update is amazeballs!

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

A forthcoming rerun of TNA in a standard sized cabinet with some other refinements. Not sure when exactly it’ll be coming out.

Hopefully they rethink the pricing. TNA is a very cool game but never felt worth the price for me. It sure is fun though!

Can’t wait to hear what the next AP game is - from any designer!

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Unfortunately you were never going to get a real answer from Hilton on that. We have seen this before, he pops into some new AP thread to attack our games and/or code. Last time, when asked for specifics, he tucked his tail between his legs and left. This time he gives the nonsensical . . .

but then writes a small novel. But again, we all know it is not because he believes that we don't want the feedback, since anyone who follows us on Pinside knows we genuinely do and respond to feedback, it's because he has not played the machines enough to know the rules or to know the code, to be able to tell you specifics as to what he likes or does not like about it.
    So what you need to understand is he as some kind of a vendetta against AP or maybe it is just me. His attacks are not really about our games since he has spent so little time on them. In his rush to spit out some vitriol, he forgot you are my partner in crime.
    I could go find in another thread what is response will be to this post, since I' sure it will be the same we have seen before. However, I just got an email with some feedback on the Houdini beta, and my time would be far better spent looking at meaningful feedback, than wasting more time on Hilton's nonsensical posts.

And us Houdini owners are super thankful for that update!

#91 3 years ago

Wow! What the heck is Whizbang?

#93 3 years ago

Aha! Thanks Lloyd. I thought Nellie was a Stern original

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Congratulations to AP and Dennis Nordman
    [quoted image]

Ok, what in the world is that?!

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

I love many of Nordman's games, but am I missing something with EHOH? What innovation exactly has he brought with EHOH?

Not sure about the specifics, but his designs forced Stern to pack the biggest BOM in years

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Wow, there is a lot of great stuff in that podcast including Dennis being quite frank about some of his Heighway experiences and that he and Franchi are working on a game for CGC. Sounds like whatever was planned for game 5 is getting bumped up and will now be Game 4 which may be followed by a game from one of the new "young" designers they are bringing in. This is the first time I've ever really heard of / from David Fixx but he really sounds energized and gung-ho about the process and future for AP, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.
    rosh it's a really good thing you got that Houdini code update out, sounds like you and ferret are going to be really, really busy!

Shhh! It's only a beta!

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

The #1 complaint about Houdini is that it's hard...but I don't understand that because players also often complain about games being too easy. I feel that an element of difficulty is far better to have than being too simple, especially in a home setting.
    It has everything players say they are looking for: Good rules, lots of shots, great toys, an interesting and unique theme, phenomenal art and lighting, tremendous build quality, and spot-on sounds/music.

It is a bit hard on the default settings, but with some minor adjustments to the flipper position and a really well-leveled cabinet, the game comes alive. Some of the complaints are about it being hard because the shots are close, and supposedly tight (they really are not any more tight than 1000 other games), but if you don't have stuff close in the playfield, there are complaints that it's a "bare game" (see: the Hobbit). Most people who complain about it have not played it in years, and I guarantee never played a well-set up instance.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-will-the-new-american-pinball-designer-be?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.