(Topic ID: 284890)

Who will the new American Pinball designer be?

By westofrome

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Who will the new American Pinball designer be?”

• Dennis Nordman 71 votes
      55%
    • Ryan McQuaid 10 votes
      8%
    • Mark Ritchie 18 votes
      14%
    • Someone else 29 votes
      23%

(128 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

original-design (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    4sjh2n (resized).jpg
    Dennis-Nordman-collegecab (resized).jpg
    C1A62CF6-273F-4F64-BE1D-93369C515A40 (resized).jpeg
    There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 3 years ago

Whitewater 2!!!

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from BrewinBombers:

Hopefully AP can bring his games to market faster than some others.
    This is also great news because it indicates that AP will keep making pinball. I haven't loved their art direction until HW, but they seem like a company who is going to make something that I'll love very soon.

Agreed. All A.P. needs is that one great theme. If I were AP, I’d look at Stern’s out of production DMD catalog and see which of those themes A.P. feels they can significantly improve upon or modernize by reimagining in 2021 and beyond. Themes such as Game of Thrones, Rolling Stones, Lord of the Rings, AC/DC, Ghostbusters or Metallica with a modern display would sell...

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ferret:

Care to elaborate on that? I think the code on API's games is a solid match...

dont have any doubt on what you (and Josh) are doing on the code aspect

we had lots of talks exchanges about Oktoberfest, and i know that you're listening and really care for feedback, while finally the result is there : OF is top notch with no doubt !

keep up the good work

(and now enjoying my Houdini)

#104 3 years ago

That interview was something else. A number of inside scoops + several throw the previous regime under the bus details you don't generally hear aired publicly.

#105 3 years ago

Nordman finally finds a real pinball company.
    This is great news for Dennis and the hobby.

Three years at Deep Root,.......no engineering support !! Wow....

With Americans rock solid build quality, Nordman, posible Franchi art, and Roger Sharp?
    This could work like gangbusters.
    Congrats.

Message from the Freeeek Kingdom.

#106 3 years ago

47:00

David - " ... in this 3 weeks that Ive been there I've already brought on 3 junior game designers who are already working on their first games."

Dr pin - "Are these people that we are familiar with? ... are they 'no names' ?"

David - "When you see these people you will know their names, yes. But right now we're going to keep that kinda quiet."

Planning on announcing one of the new designers games in "6 months".

One of them is surely Jack Danger ...

AP could be about to come up with some pretty good stuff with Nordman sharing his experiences of do's and dont's with new blood designers, perhaps including some cool new ideas.

Dennis starts working on his new game..... today!

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Since it's Dennis, why not revisit the DM layout in a standard body?

Congratulations to AP and Dennis Nordman

Dennis-Nordman-collegecab (resized).jpgDennis-Nordman-collegecab (resized).jpg
    #108 3 years ago

I love this announcement. Look at HOH and it’s innovation. AP wins big with Dennis as the guy designs great games.

#109 3 years ago

Well, finally some good news.
    Congrats to AP and Dennis.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

I love this announcement. Look at HOH and it’s innovation. AP wins big with Dennis as the guy designs great games.

I love many of Nordman's games, but am I missing something with EHOH? What innovation exactly has he brought with EHOH?

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

I love many of Nordman's games, but am I missing something with EHOH? What innovation exactly has he brought with EHOH?

I have the same question. I don't have much time on EHOH, but nothing about the game felt particularly new.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Congratulations to AP and Dennis Nordman
    [quoted image]

Ok, what in the world is that?!

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Not sure about the specifics, but his designs forced Stern to pack the biggest BOM in years

#114 3 years ago

The innovation with EHOH is with the code. The layout is familiar but also deceptively simple. There are physical ball locks all over the place and the haunted house is on par with the MM castle. Everything just came together perfectly.

Nordman knows how to put together a design, and listening to the podcast, he’s there to mentor and guide some younger designers. What I like about AP is they acknowledge missteps and accept constructive criticism. Hopefully the next few games will be huge for them.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

$1k Topper?

#116 3 years ago

So it sounds like Joe Balcer was the biggest problem at AP. Glad Nordman is in and has a stable job.

#117 3 years ago

Elvira3 is awesome. My fav Stern in years.

Now AP just needs to hire an art/creative director.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from BrewinBombers:

I have the same question. I don't have much time on EHOH, but nothing about the game felt particularly new.

It's definitely a sum of all the parts thing. It's a great shooting game and there are some interesting touches, like the Deadhead Crypt toy, the house is a nice sculpt with a neat ghost lighting effect, and the trunk is different. It's not the most amazing game from a hardware perspective, but it's good for a Stern and then the software makes it truly special.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Elvira3 is awesome. My fav Stern in years.
    Now AP just needs to hire an art/creative director.

Agree 100%

#120 3 years ago

BTW I couldn't care less about Elvira herself (since I'm not a 70 year old man) but it's the closest thing we will ever get to a MST3K pin

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

BTW I couldn't care less about Elvira herself (since I'm not a 70 year old man) but it's the closest thing we will ever get to a MST3K pin

Yeah. That's the real appeal. Lyman watching a hundred hours of crap to get the best clips

The trailer feature at the end of the game is a work of art.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinBalt:

So it sounds like Joe Balcer was the biggest problem at AP. Glad Nordman is in and has a stable job.

That sounds like an over-simplification to me, David Fix mentioned a lot of things he's already addressed with purchasing and the like - I certainly hope Joe didn't have to deal with that kind of stuff all the time. My reading between the lines is that Joe's personality may not be the best for the role David wants the lead designer to play, mentoring others, etc. so he was moved to a contractor role. They didn't mention art too much but again my take on it was that no one on that podcast (including Nordman) were very impressed with the art on prior games (particularly OKT) so I expect some big changes in that area as well, this has been a pretty common complaint of AP games here and in general too.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

BTW I couldn't care less about Elvira herself (since I'm not a 70 year old man)

Since we are going for easy Zingers...

You share their hairline, though.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Not just MST, but also for fans of horror comics from the 70's, it's basically a DC House of Mystery pinball, just missing Cain of course. Elvira even had a brief revival of the House of Mystery comic in the 80's for a few years.

#125 3 years ago

Overall, it's got way more going on mechanically than any Stern since the mid-2000s. Specifically, had the rotating bash toy/scoop mech been done before?

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Overall, it's got way more going on mechanically than any Stern since the mid-2000s. Specifically, had the rotating bash toy/scoop mech been done before?

Dennis likes swoopy ramps and EHOH has no swoopy ramps, which I think could have made it more fun and interesting. I blame Stern on that one. Perhaps AP will let him be a little more free.

#127 3 years ago

Nordman makes really fun games, and David Fix sounds like his experience will really help the company. This puts AP on my radar.

BRING ON A KILLER ARTIST. Don’t drop that ball, AP. Get someone dynamic & contemporary that blows us away.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I enjoy games where every shot is rewarded. EHOH and IMDN are like that. Even if I miss, I build towards something.
    Houdini is like that, too. There are tons of modes, movies, missions, jail escapes, multiballs, magic shop stuff, etc. to shoot. I have zero complaints with code, and I enjoy the animations as well.
    Oktoberfest seems to be cut from the same cloth, and it’s on my wishlist after owning Houdini. I’m pretty sure I’ll have one soon. Build quality is great, code is great, and the team accepts criticisms with an open mind.
    As I mentioned previously, I think the team could benefit from a more traditional layout from a new designer, but code-wise, you guys are crushing it.

Exactly, you have to try Hot Wheels, it's my fave game of 2020

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaBeast:

Hey everybody - now that the secrets out, we’re posting our next episode a little early. Enjoy our interview with David and Dennis from AP!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Franchi & Dr. Pin are joined by David Fix and Dennis Nordman from American Pinball to reveal their exclusive plans to turn around the pin makers fortunes. Many exciting bombs are dropped! Also we discuss the latest news, rumors, and the additions to our pinball families over the holidays! YAY, NEW PINBALLL! So tune in to the hottest podcast in the world!!
    https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/17408108?fbclid=IwAR0BahKwbCEI0qOuWChiW0JkjNyw6VnJtcQndIcOoLRo5_xrbLeSXfev-K4
    [quoted image]

Wow, there is a lot of great stuff in that podcast including Dennis being quite frank about some of his Heighway experiences and that he and Franchi are working on a game for CGC. Sounds like whatever was planned for game 5 is getting bumped up and will now be Game 4 which may be followed by a game from one of the new "young" designers they are bringing in. This is the first time I've ever really heard of / from David Fixx but he really sounds energized and gung-ho about the process and future for AP, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

rosh it's a really good thing you got that Houdini code update out, sounds like you and Ferret are going to be really, really busy!

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Dennis likes swoopy ramps and EHOH has no swoopy ramps, which I think could have made it more fun and interesting. I blame Stern on that one. Perhaps AP will let him be a little more free.

He basically admitted to as much during TPF or somewhere. He had double d ramps on the left that got cut for cost. He also had a large physical toy in the lower left drain area for the Manos Hand Of Fate spinning wheel

But the game that as produced is still pretty packed in my opinion.

And agree. Nordman has made some great ramps. Up there with Dan Langlois as best ramp designers. Let him do his magic AP

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Wow, there is a lot of great stuff in that podcast including Dennis being quite frank about some of his Heighway experiences and that he and Franchi are working on a game for CGC. Sounds like whatever was planned for game 5 is getting bumped up and will now be Game 4 which may be followed by a game from one of the new "young" designers they are bringing in. This is the first time I've ever really heard of / from David Fixx but he really sounds energized and gung-ho about the process and future for AP, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.
    rosh it's a really good thing you got that Houdini code update out, sounds like you and ferret are going to be really, really busy!

Shhh! It's only a beta!

#132 3 years ago

Wow!! Big news! This is absolutely the right move, a bit late but great still. I sincerely wish Joe all the best, he's a great guy but to me he's a great engineer, design is a little different, you need a little of engineering, taste and a lot of imagination to make a great pinball machine...Dennis has all of those qualities in spade. I'm genuinely excited for AP now. Watch out Stern, JJP and Spooky you guys are about to get some real competition from AP....Finally!

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinBalt:

So it sounds like Joe Balcer was the biggest problem at AP.

Can't blame a man for not using his talent or listening to him. He had to work with what was.

LTG : )

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

rosh it's a really good thing you got that Houdini code update out, sounds like you and ferret are going to be really, really busy!

Let me put it this way, I believe Ferret and I were the only ones who did not take last week off.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Shhh! It's only a beta!

I don't expect much to change on that before it is officially released in a week or so. Still a few more things I want to do on Houdini, but will have to wait, I want to get all of these improvements and new stuff out to owners.

#135 3 years ago

Congratulations to AP on the recent new staff additions !

#136 3 years ago

Super excited to buy my first AP pin.
    I have liked their pins from the start, just waiting for a theme and an art package I want in my basement.
    I think the future is looking bright for AP!

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ferret:

Care to elaborate on that? I think the code on API's games is a solid match against any manufacturer's offerings ... If you disagree, I would like to hear some concrete examples where you think API falls short.

I'll give you one example that killed AP on route here for the OP I worked with. AP not fixing the crash bug introduced in the Houdini audits for more than 6 months (it may have been longer, we bailed at 6 months) was RIDICULOUS for a company that supposedly wants to build cred with operators. This was a critical bug for operators and should have been a priority, but it was not. I asked Barry about it at least monthly. Mentioned it to Josh a few times. Nothing. We couldn't go back because the prior version of the software had other issues with the game playability. It sucked. Also, the system menu is made for home users, not really functional and well arranged for operators. Stern and JJP are doing the system menus correctly for operators with clear layout and quick access. AP's graphical system menu is a mess (unless it's changed radically since Houdini).

But yeah. AP blowing off fixing that important audit crash bug that made it impossible for the audits to work right caused the OP I worked with to drop the game and he wasn't interested in AP after that. That was the end of AP around here.

#138 3 years ago

4sjh2n (resized).jpg4sjh2n (resized).jpg

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I could go find in another thread what is response will be to this post, since I' sure it will be the same we have seen before.

I dunno, I think his response might be a little different this time around.....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Dennis Nordman is the winner!

Wow, that's great news for AP. If anyone can make a fun pin that reverses the steep downward sales trend of AP machines, it's Dennis. If they do it right, he can do something that will sell more than all three AP pins so far combined. I guess the AP owners decided to double down on making this work instead of bailing. A nice surprise. Looking forward to seeing what Dennis does if unencumbered. Stern taking his mechanical hand of fate wheel and whoop de do ramp off Elvira3 really sucked.

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I dunno, I think his response might be a little different this time around.....
    [quoted image]

Holy crap. How did THAT happen?

#142 3 years ago

Just listened to the podcast; I'm a big fan of AP's games and a huge fan of Nordman's work, but always think we need more fresh blood in the hobby... so hearing he'll be mentoring 3 new designers and AP's planning on at least 2 games a year is incredibly exciting. Nice job American! Can't wait to see what you guys put out.

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Holy crap. How did THAT happen?

No idea.... He might have a little shorter leash, is my guess. He just came back from a 90 day timeout.

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

No idea.... He might have a little shorter leash, is my guess. He just came back from a 90 day timeout.

Seems a little unfair. I thought we were allowed to have opinions!?

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I saw he was blocked too, not going to spend the effort necessary to determine what he did to get that status.

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

He basically admitted to as much during TPF or somewhere. He had double d ramps on the left that got cut for cost. He also had a large physical toy in the lower left drain area for the Manos Hand Of Fate spinning wheel
    But the game that as produced is still pretty packed in my opinion.
    And agree. Nordman has made some great ramps. Up there with Dan Langlois as best ramp designers. Let him do his magic AP

It would be really interesting to see what Nordman had planned for EHoH, prior to Stern's BOM reduction efforts.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

It would be really interesting to see what Nordman had planned for EHoH, prior to Stern's BOM reduction efforts.

There's a recording of that panel somewhere where he shows mockups of the things he had designed. Unfortunately I don't know where it is or which panel it was...

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

Seems a little unfair. I thought we were allowed to have opinions!?

Not if you can't control yourself, its not a hard concept to grasp.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not if you can't control yourself, its not a hard concept to grasp.

Controlling your opinions?
    Does he get a refund for his contributions to pinside?

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

Controlling your opinions?

Controlling what you type.
    EDIT: Please if you are going the "'Merica freedom of speech!" angle this is not an American site, no public.

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-will-the-new-american-pinball-designer-be/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.